Part 6: When Golem's Attack

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Part 6: When Golem's Attack

#181 Post by Synthalus »

MALAKON TRASK

Malakon Bows deeply to the paladin and then addresses his question, exuding impunity.

" Please forgive mine appearance lord Paladin, I find that it is easier to travel unnoticed in hostile lands when dressed the part. As to the matter of the Disease stricken women, I am no expert in diseases but she appears from my untrained eye to suffer from some kind of leprosy. It looks very similar to a disease I once saw an adventurer contract from an encounter with a form of undead known as a mummy. This woman lives near the Tragidore Inn, but a few streets over. When I rode into town a group of local women hired me to fetch you and here I am. They told me if I gathered you quickly there would be even more coin in it for me. So I ask you, will you not join me back to Tragidore to rid it of this foul disease? I assure you that I will not lead you astray as I have just recently traveled here to find you and the path is still fresh in my mind. It would but take a moment of your time to cure this women and we would both stand to profit much from the act. Will you join me?"
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#182 Post by saalaria »

Gandrel sets to work trying to pick the lock of the door the other side of the room.

"So you were round the other side of this here door then? So what did we miss?"

He turns, looks at the newcomer and rubs his fingers together in the age-old signal for cash.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Inferno »

Eirik the Just, paladin:
Norjax wrote:Thifli, Dwarf Fighter
Thifli, assessing the stranger, sneers at him. “By which way did you come to be among us? Did you encounter any hostiles while tracking down the paladin?”
Not sure if he trusts this wanderer, Thifli keeps his distance and slowly changes his position to a defensive posture.
Eirik silently noted his friend's concerns.

He tested his foot. It was still stuck. Eirik said, "Good Malakon, I know the Tragidore Inn and its neighborhood. Which woman is it? How long has she been ill? Who are the women who hired you, and what will they pay you?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#184 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alanis does discover that the door is locked from the inside.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by Synthalus »

MALAKON TRASK

Malakon sighs openly then says;

" I know not the poor woman's name nor did I asked when brought to see her. Nor do I know how long she has been ill or the names of the women that sent me. I am sorry to say this to one as selfless as you but, I care only for the coin the village women offered me to fetch you nothing more. It was a small some they offered but the promise of more money for your quick return was worth my while. I believe the old crones said something to the effect of 1,000 GP. You understand that know why I could not pass up the job and why we must be going as soon as possible?"

Malakon clearly annoyed with the wizard's attempts to fumble with the door burts out;

" IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU COULD BE MORE INEPT AT OPENING A DOOR?! The door is locked from this side and yet you still attempt to open it?!"

Malakon catches himself and reigns in his outburst of anger, ashamed at himself he speaks again to the wizard;

" I am truly sorry master wizard, please accept my apologies for my outburst. It was unwarranted and I had no cause to do so. I am merely weary from the long road to find the paladin. I wish only to get back to the Inn as quickly as possible and rest with a warm meal and a cold ale to keep me company."

-H.P. Lovecraft
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by PyroArrow »

Theodore Mumfordian (Half Sylvanian Wood-Elf) Ranger lvl:5 HP 19 / 21 AC 5):

Says,

" 1,000 Gold for a fetch & grab job?! This ill woman must be highly important & rich! "
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Inferno »

Eirik the Just, paladin:

Eirik was surprised by Trask's sudden outburst of temper and wrath.

The innocent paladin nodded once at Theodore's words, and began to think out loud, "But we... are already on a quest... at the behest... of the wealthiest... most important... woman in Tragidore... And yet... "
It seemed like he might finish his sentence. But he didn't. He kept on not finishing it. An awkward silence grew and grew.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by ybn1197 »

Neev simply stands where he is, wary of the newcomer as well. It made little sense to him as to why the village would request the paladin when they were all to aware of a cleric of Pelor traveling with the group.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Alanis looks over the door, seemingly ignoring the yells directed at him and the subsequent conversation of the others. For the moment, no one exists but him and this door. He looks it over, thinking aloud, "Hmm... This door seems highly flammable, I bet a fireball would would it up... What? You don't want to burn? Well... Who am I to say no. Alright then..."

The wizard then hefts his trusty wand and begins to unlatch the door, unlocking it and opening it to see what is on the other side.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by Synthalus »

Malakon

Malakon openly sighs, then says;

"it would have been nice to get the extra gold. I assume you will heal this woman when you return from your exploration here? Perhaps I could join you in your search of this place? I can handle myself well and I am sure that you will have need of me. Will you allow me to join your band of adventurers?

Malakon awaits Eirik's response with calculated patience and deserved respect.

-H.P. Lovecraft
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Inferno »

Eirik the Just, paladin:

Eirik's foot became unstuck. His holy sword was still in is hand. In all the excitement of battling the mimic and meeting this stranger, he hadn't yet sheathed it. The young paladin finally finished his sentence.
"...I'm sorry. I don't think I understand. You say that shortly after we left Tragidore, on a quest given us by the mayor's wife, that another woman of considerable wealth and power suddenly took ill of a mummy's disease and offered you 1000 gp to bring a message to me to abandon this quest and return at once to Tragidore to cure her.
This message was not sent to Brother Neev nor to the nearby priests of the neighboring village of Hanuman.
You cannot recall the name of any woman with whom you spoke, and this woman of wealth and power gave you no letter of introduction to bear witness to your tale.
And now you wish to abandon your mission and join our party.
Do I understand the facts correctly, good Malakon?"

Eirik's tranquil words were without accusation, derision or hubris. They came from the simple desire for plain talking and clear understanding.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#192 Post by Synthalus »

MALAKON TRASK

" That is the truth of it, yes (Malakon said matter of factly). I am but a humble wanderer that takes work where and when he can get it. I have learned over the years not to ask to many questions when taking a job. For all I know the old crones that sent me could have lied. I will tell you in good faith that they did not look like the rest of the women of Tragidore. They were well dressed and offered me a job, when I asked what the job would entail they rushed me to a nearby home to show me the diseased woman. when I attempted to take meal at the Inn they approached me again and told me they would pay me 1,000 GP to leave at once. These women are very suspicious, always next to one another, never far apart. They may have something to do with this place and they may have sent me to distract you, I know not. Again I am no expert in illnesses. the diseased woman could have been an illusion and I wouldn't have known. What I do know is that they flashed me the coin they intended to pay me for job done and they gave me this as incentive. ( Malakon opens his coin purse and shows the group the 50 GP paid in advance to him by the crones.) I only want to be paid for job done and if I am double crossed by the crones they will pay either way. The way I see it my fate is unexpectedly bound to yours for the time being, we might as well travel together and help one another.

Malakon outstretches his hand in a friendly gesture of good faith.

" I have told you all I know and been honest with you about my intentions, I would join you and help rid this place of foul creatures of evil. Assuming I get a cut of the treasure to be had. What say you Eirik the just, can we be friends?

-H.P. Lovecraft
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Inferno »

Eirik the Just, young paladin:

The story twisted and turned with each minute. Now Trask disbelieved the urgent pleas of his patrons. Eirik kept up, but barely. He replied:

"You misunderstand, sir. 'Tis not my decision alone to make." Eirik looked to the party members that had remained engaged through the long discussion. "Wise Neev, gallant Theodore, brave Thifli, what say you? Shall this man be counted among our number?"

"For myself, I vote nay. Because what if the woman speaks true? You would have broken your word. You would have abandoned your noble mission. I would strongly counsel you, good Malakon, to uphold your part of the bargain. Please go hence to Tragidore immediately and tell them I shall return as quickly as possible. We near the end of our quest. I shall not be long. If they cannot wait, they should seek help from the priests of neighboring Hanumen. Tell them!"

"If they will not make good upon their promise of payment, then I shall when I get there. You have my word upon it. But I must advise that all men keep the bond of their word. I cannot be party to deception or fraudulence, nor encourage it by my actions. Uphold your end of the bargain! Fulfill your mission, good Malakon!"

Eirik looked to Neev, Theodore and Thifli to hear their valued counsel.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by Synthalus »

MALAKON TRASK

Malakon Trask nods his head in agreement with the young Paladin and says;

" Good paladin you and I are very much in accord on this but I cannot complete my noble mission without brining you to the diseased woman. I am not a man of many scruples, I make no claim to be a just and honorable knight of the realm. I am just an errand boy to those that would pay me to seek you out. Your friends Lubidius and gandrel here will back me up I am sure, as I sense that we are of similar profession. I know it is hard for one as faithful and devoted as yourself to accept such company as mine but I assure you that I mean you no harm and only wish to aid you. To those of your group I humbly ask if I may join your cause and help you investigate this ruined castle. I promise that I will donate whatever treasure I earn to a noble cause or temple if this will allow me to complete my job. I am nothing if not dutiful once I start a job and I have my own honor code which demands I see it to completion.

-H.P. Lovecraft
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#195 Post by Synthalus »

MALAKON TRASK

Malakon Trask signs to Lubidius and Gandrel in Thieves Cant

{What's up with this guy? Please help a fellow brother of the art complete a job. I promise you both a cut of the profits.}

-H.P. Lovecraft
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#196 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Everyone not thief please just act as if they are communicating in a form you cannot understand. He either is speaking in a foreign language or making some strange hand gestures that you all see thieves do from time to time. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by MonkeyWrench »

That's cool. Alanis has actually forgotten everyone existed for the moment... the door holds too many undiscovered mysteries.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
PyroArrow
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by PyroArrow »

Theodore Mumfordian (Half Sylvanian Wood-Elf) Ranger lvl:5 HP 19 / 21 AC 5):

Theodore grows tried of the long winded verbal exchange, with a woman's life ticking away & says,

" We all retreat now, Immediately, & either help this woman before it is to late & or we find it to be a trap. "

" Either way, questions are answered & curiously is piqued. Evil defeated. Then we return here. "
Dungeon Master : Guido's Keep on the Borderlands & the Hills of Horror & Chaos (1st Ed D&D) :
1A: The Inheritance (1st Ed D&D)

Player:
Erico Caravellino - Thief : Elphand Adventures (ACKS Wilderlands - On Hold)
Stanilus Peri -Fighter (Bard) : Wardens in the North (D&D 1st Ed - On Hold)

Maximillian Arikas [Aether] & Steve Sanderson [Flicker] : Rebirth of Power: 4C System
Rician Lockwindberg - Paladin Knight : A Village With No Name (1st Ed D&D)
Theodore Mumfordian - Half-Elf Ranger : Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (1st Ed AD&D) [Completed]
Vicentio Senereno : Human Wizard : Veranar (5th Ed. D&D)
Tonkioso 'Gizzy' Gizmoebius : Clockwork Child : At the Forest Edge (Beyond the Wall & Other Adv)
Rician Lockwindberg : Human Paladin : A Village With No Name (2nd Edition AD&D)
Norbold Ernessaeia : Sylvian Elf Cleric : Minn's Mound (1st Edition AD&D)
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Inferno »

Eirik the Just, paladin:

Eirik noted Trask speaking secretly to Lubidous and Gandrel and raised an eyebrow.

GreyWolf and Synth, Trask called our two thieves by name, but they hadn't introduced themselves yet.
Is this Synth's mistake or Trask's? ;)
Thanks!

Eirik nodded at Theodore's counsel and looked to Neev and Thifli to hear theirs.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#200 Post by Synthalus »

My mistake, I meant to point out that you have two thieves already that would back me up.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Terrible Trouble at Tragidore (2e)”