Act IV: Pandora's Planet

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Act IV: Pandora's Planet

#201 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor looks at his chronometer and synchronizes it. At the same time he realizes that Ursula might wake up just as the outpost could explode. "Commander I'm going to administer another dose of sedatives on our prisoner. By my calculations the first dose should be wearing off just as this outpost goes to explode. I can't imagine what it must be like waking up to an explosion. With this second dose she won't feel a thing if we are unable to stop the sequence. Ensign Patel lay Ensign Kumar next to Ursula body. We'll retrieve them latter."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

"Very good, Doctor.

"Gentlemen, as you know, anyone or anything could reside within this ancient ruin of the Slaver Empire. We must proceed with caution.
"Before we enter, let's scan the interior with our tricorders, Commanders."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The Doctor adjusts his tricorder to detect the life signs around him then inside the interior of the ruin.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: Inside the Slaver Outpost
Stardate 2271.3.24: 1802h

The Janus has been overdue for 2 minutes.
The prisoner Ursula Norton will wake up at 2000 hrs.

The body of Ensign Kumar is laid to rest next to the captured prisoner, now sedated for another two hours.

The officers fiddle with their tricorders and scan the outpost, but no readings come through. The strange Slaver Alloy soaks up the sensor scans and camouflages all that lies within.

Cautiously, the landing party moves inside, ready for anything. The dim interior is bathed in a ghostly red light…

A siren wails and echoes unceasingly throughout the halls. The party comes to an inner hallway that seems to loop around the outpost. Four doorways can be seen along the outer wall, two left and two right.

Note: 1 hex = 3 meters

• Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — plasma pistol (12/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), CT 12/12 — phaser II (24/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), CT 12/12 — phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign Patel — ST 13, DX 10, MN 12, LK 12, CT 13/13 — phaser rifle (32/32)
  • Ensign Perkins
  • Ensign Kumar
  • Ensign Rodney

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

"Phasers on stun," the Edosian scientist said as he holstered his tricorder and drew his phaser. He crept down the right hand passage, passing close enough to the first door so that, were it a door on the Janus, it would automatically whoosh open. If the door remains closed, he will keep walking and try it on the next door, continuing down the circular corridor with calm caution.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor follows the commander into the outpost. He continues to scan with his tricorder just in case it creates a reading, while in the other hand he holds his adjusted phaser set to stun.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Starbeard »

"And now we return to STAR TREK, in LIVING COLOR—only on NBC."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Starbeard »

"Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.24-1815…"

"We have reestablished contact with the landing on Coxa II. The immediate Romulan threat has been vanquished, but we are racing against the clock. It has been discovered that the Romulan Commander was able to break into the ruins of the Slaver outpost a initiate a self-destruct sequence that may put this whole planet in jeopardy. The technological superiority of the Slaver Empire means that the outpost is invulnerable to orbital bombardment. Without options, I have ordered the landing party into the ruins. Without any ability to communicate with them inside, I can only pray that someway, somehow, they can discover how to disarm it."

Coxa II: The Slaver Outpost

Pillars of light shimmer on the jungle surface of Coxa II, and a team of security ensigns arrive.

Two of them retrieve the dead and the prisoner Ursula Norton. The other pair give Mr. Patel an understanding nod and pat on the shoulder, relieving the shellshocked ensign of his duty. With one last bittersweet look at his fallen comrade and the mysterious Slaver Outpost that has been responsible for so much death, as much today as it was a million years ago, Ensign Patel joins the others as they are beamed aboard the crippled U.S.S. Janus.

The landing party now stands before the yawning mouth of the Outpost, each of them surveying their own personal chances of survival.

Commander Gareb Endilev, Chief of Engineering

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer

Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Ship's Doctor

Mr. Li Yong, Security

Mr. Ranesh Chowdhury, Security

The party cautiously enters the dark confines of the Outpost. A siren echoing from deep within dulls their ears, and the corridor is bathed in a dim, pulsating red light.

A T-section is reached and, taking the right passage, the party stalks to the first door (as per last actions). It whisks open as though a million years ago was only yesterday, revealing a large room whose purpose is obscure. In the middle of the room twenty chairs form a circle around a strange computer console, but all of the chairs face outward. The rest of the room is covered in a busy arrangement of tables and shelves, of all shapes and sizes—and some of them even vertical, with harness straps attached to them. In the far corner of the room a roofing panel has been removed, and a mass of live wires have spilled out onto the ground, cackling and snapping.

Note: 1 hex = 3 meters

Actions?

• Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — HtH 4, plasma pistol (12/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 12/12 — HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), MN 7 (-2), LK 12, CT 12/12 — HtH 3, phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign Yong — DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 7 (-2), CT 15/15 — phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign Chowdhury — DX 11, MN 11, LK 17 (+5), CT 13/13 — phaser II (24/24)

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#209 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Mr Li and Mr Chowdhury

As per Commander Nadix Ar Eth's orders, the two ensigns set their phasers to stun and move into the outpost, providing close protection to the officers. Li leads and Chowdhury brings up the rear.

Li covers the door as it slides open and looks to the officers for an indication of which way to go next.

"Which way sirs. Do we press on? Or should I sweep the room?"

ooc: Li will move to follow whichever instruction he is given. Chowdhury will remain vigilant at the rear.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev

With one eye on the live wires, and one eye on the computers drawing him in. Gareb says Hold on entering the room, let's scan for safety.

Gareb wants to use whatever methods available (tricorder, etc) to just check (as best as possible) that we aren't walking into some million year old Magrathean trap ;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#211 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson

"Commander the electrical field generated by this outpost has been interfering with my tricorder. I haven't been able to get any reading of the interior."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.24: 1820h

Gareb calibrates his tricorder and surprisingly it receives very dim readings—apparently the walls of the structure mask any use of scanners through them, but inside of the rooms the tricorders can pick up the mildest traces of information through the otherwise random static (successful MN checks with tricorders take 5 minutes, or 15 if failed, instead of 1 min./10 mins.).

His engineering tricorder reads energy levels spiking from the loose wires, but they appear to be safe as long as no one touches them. The computer console in the center of the room is working. Another source of energy is picked up in the opposite corner of the room from the wires, but it is hidden from view by the strange furniture.

Actions?

Rolls… Image
  • Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), MN 9, LK 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — HtH 4, plasma pistol (12/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), MN 14 (+2), LK 9, CT 12/12 — HtH 2, phaser II (24/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), MN 7 (-2), LK 12, CT 12/12 — HtH 3, phaser II (24/24)
Last edited by Starbeard on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev

Putting a hand up to indicate that no one should enter the room, Gareb says, much more quietly The computer appears safe, but Commander Nadix can you pick up the energy source reading I'm getting from the opposite corner?

If we can't figure it out, or it seems safe he'll say Let's enter cautiously and be wary of the live wires.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#214 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Mr. Li and Mr. Chowdhury

As the officers take sensor readings, Mr. Li covers the room from the doorway. He flexes his grip on his phaser and waits for Commander Endilev to indicate he can proceed.

While keeping watch on the corridor at the back of the group, Mr. Chowdhury asks "Sirs, just wondering, do we have any idea how long we have before the self-destruct detonates?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Commander with all due respect, we don't have time to be cautious. This place can blow at anytime and take out half the planet. We need to disable the self destruct immediately."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by rredmond »

Didn't want to post again, before the GM, but also didn't realize the urgency :)

Commander Gareb Endilev

Gareb enters the room, waving in the others and keeps his tricorder going, with a focus on the unknown source of energy on the opposite corner of the room. Let's enter cautiously, but quickly.
:)
Check everything but stay away from the live wires, he adds, quite unnecessarily.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#217 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Mr. Li

As Commander Endlev enters the room, Mr. Li hurries to stay in front and safeguard the officer from any danger.

"Please sir, after me," he says earnestly.

Li sweeps the room with his phaser, endeavouring to stay between the officers and the opposite corner where the energy signature is. If any threat emerges, he will try to ensure he is the first to meet it.

Mr. Chowdhury

Chowdhury's eyes narrow as he notes the sudden injection of urgency in response to his question and that Ryerson had said that the self-destruct could detonate at 'anytime'. Great! The officers have no idea how long they have to find and defuse the device. It's a pretty good bet they are all going to die here.

Chowdhury flashes back to the look on Commander Vek's face when she'd announced his assignment to the Away Team. He couldn't be sure but he reckoned the Tellarite had always had it in for him and he was pretty convinced she'd given him the assignment deliberately, knowing there was a good chance he wouldn't be coming back.

Chowdhury hangs back near the doorway, ruing his misfortune and continuing to cover the corridor.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Starbeard »

(Sorry for the delay!)

Stardate 2271.3.24: 1821h

The party enters the room with Mr. Li at the fore, while Gareb and Nadix scan the unknown energy source with their tricorders.

Mr. Chowdhury covers the rear and finds himself lamenting his position on the ship's totem pole.

As they scan the room, the tricorders bleep several warnings. Gareb can tell that the unseen source has traces of the same energy patterns as the wires across the room, which the main source appears to be breaking down or assimilating in some way. Meanwhile, Nadix reads something very peculiar on his science tricorder. "The energy source is pulsating, as though it were an organic being. How very interes—"

Suddenly, the energy source reveals itself: a strange, snake-like amoeba slithers out from the corner, over a table and floats right up to the ceiling! White-orange lights circle and glow from within the creature, and a low electric hum fills the room whenever it moves. Its mass stretches and pulsates, hovering somewhere slightly larger than a human.

Actions?

Rolls… Image

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#219 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Mr. Li

As the strange, pulsating, snake-like life-form slithers and floats up out of the corner, Mr. Li comes very close to immediately firing at it. His finger involuntarily tenses on the trigger but then stops as he remembers his first encounter training. The creature has not yet done anything overtly threatening, maybe they have just startled it. "Sirs?" he questions, immediately regretting the slight quaver in his voice, which betrays his uncertainty.

If the life-form does anything obviously aggressive Mr. Li will fire at it but for now he will just keep it covered with his phaser.

Mr. Chowdhury

From his position at the door, Mr. Chowdhury also sees the life-form emerge from behind the table. He is ready to engage it if it threatens anyone.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Starbeard »

(I'll bump things forward. Hope those of you in the US had a good 4th of July weekend!)

Stardate 2271.3.24: 1821h, round 2

The strange slithering amoeba crackles and sparks from within as it appears to size up the party. Its energy pattern is changing rapidly: Dr. Ryerson's medical tricorder tells him that the energy patterns moving through the creature are reminiscent of how a digestive system increases blood flow and enzyme production to preparing itself for food.

Actions?

Rolls… Image

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”