Chapter 6: Beneath the Inn of the Damned

Inferno
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Beneath the Inn of the Damned

#61 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak wrinkles his brow in thought. "I am not sure stealth is the answer," he says. "The things that attacked us were in large numbers and were ready for us. And they did not have heat signatures. You would not see them coming. I would suggest entering in full force, but with care."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"I agree with Grothnak, we should advance as a group."

She turns to Moogeye: "The town is infested by cultists. If they see you, they will put you back inside that cage. Your best option is to stay with us. We cannot guarantee complete safety either... but it is better than what the cult has in mind for you."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

Avril doesn't object to the plans to remain together, and waits for her turn in the order to join in once they start moving.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

The adventurers' shadows undulate and writhe as if of their own volition, as Bo advances to bring his lantern's light to the gaping wound in the earth. The tunnel issues a fetid wind, ripe with the sickening stench of mold, decay and death.

Hoom climbs down the ladder and shuts the trap door behind him.

Moogeye brings her hand to her face when she sees Ingrid's battered nose. "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to—" She takes a moment to compose herself, and when she speaks again she sounds calm and controlled. "I have not encountered the… unliving before, and I fear I became somewhat overzealous. Forgive me."
She eyes the two chests on the north wall and gently reaches behind them and pulls out a polearm weapon. "Ah, there it is. I suspect the rest of my things are in one of these chests."
The young woman examines the chests with some expertise and then slowly opens them. Inside, Mouser and Hoom see pouches, a backpack and a crossbow. "As I said, I am Moogeye Comcra. In Bissel, I heard vague rumors of sinister events in Briarsgate, and as I had no other immediate concerns, I turned my wandering this way. It seems the rumors were right. All I did was stop at the first inn along the road and order breakfast, and now I am here. If my headache is anything to go by, I must have been drugged. What reason do you have for being here?"

Meanwhile, by the light of Bo's lantern, Telkis inspects the tunnel's mouth. The rough hewn shaft is haphazardly shored up every 10 feet with wet, rotten timbers on the walls and ceiling. Telkis enters the tunnel to test one of the supports. They are soft to the touch, but do not crumble. He sees that the tunnel slopes downward into mud and a half foot of standing water from the storm's deluge. The gnome can't vouch for the integrity of this place. There is no sign of the three field mice in the dark, cold, wet, foul-smelling hole.

After a brief discussion on the choices before them, the adventurers cautiously follow Telkis and descend down into the dim, grave-like shaft. Bo stands at the top, lantern aloft, letting his allies enter ahead of him in order. Their feet are soon swallowed up by the muddy water that deprives them of stealth. Before long, they encounter a thin mists that lies atop the water. They slowly splash forward and the tunnel widens and divides into three paths. The shadows are deep here, and Bo's lantern is far behind Telkis now.

Beneath the Inn of the Damned 2.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 2.jpg (220.12 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Map: Each square is 5 feet.

Actions?

Please read:
Final questions:
  • -Where does Moogeye fit in your marching order?
    -Any light sources in addition to Bo's lantern at the very back?
    -Will you leave the unbarred door open or shut? Grothnak gouged it good, but it can still shut.

Thanks.

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by AleBelly »

Inferno wrote:"What reason do you have for being here?"
"We, or at least I, am here to discover the source of a great evil in this town, and to banish it from existence! As you have already discovered, people are not always as they seem to be. I can vouch for those here, although several scare easily and will flee to save their own skins. I am Pelias, servant of Heironeus! I welcome you if your cause is good."

He turns to the others. "I cannot discern if one path is better than the other. I favor exploring the right branch."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by dmw71 »

"Whichever direction we go, we should always go that same way when given a choice," Avril says in a low whisper. "Then just always do the opposite on the way out to avoid getting lost."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom ignites his bullseye lantern so the rear of the party has a light source. He draw his short sword and proceeds ahead armed with lantern and sword. Since he takes up the rear of the party he move along the passage sideway keeping one eye on where they came from and taking quick glance ahead to see where he is going.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye quietly retrieves the rest of her gear, and having quickly confirmed that nothing is missing, falls into line behind Avril until they can discuss a more permanent arrangement.

"Cultists? This is an unusual place. Many thanks for your welcome, Pelias. I have no intent to leave, and appreciate the company. Having wandered this far to Briarsgate, I might as well see this abominable intrigue through to its end—which I imagine lies somewhere down one of these tunnels. Exploring the right branch seems a productive enough start to me, as well."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid introduces herself to their new companion: "I'm Ingrid Esthof, cleric of Trithereon."

"Yes, something twisted is going on in Briarsgate. We came here to investigate it as well... only to fall prey to the treacherous cultists who seem to have overtaken the village! Just last night, I occupied one of these cages, stupefied by the very drug that was put in your breakfast. My companions rescued me, but we lost a friend."

"We established, that this inn is one of their headquarters. But they overtook the local church as well, and, most likely, the constable's office as well. We cannot trust anybody. We don't know much about who's behind all this."

"I see you are well armed,"
Ingrid says, pointing at Moogeye's newly acquired weapons. "What's your specialty? I'm not sure your crossbow is much of use in these tunnels. But the pole-arm should be helpful at keeping the undead at a distance!"

Let's explore the right branch first, Ingrid agrees.
G A M E S :

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter

Telkis peers ahead, down each of the tunnels, to see if he can pick up any signs of Finster with his infravision.
I thought it said in an earlier post that this passage slopes upward? Is that the case? If it's not obvious, Telkis would like to try to discern which way it goes.
He pauses for a moment to inspect their path more closely."Try to avoid touching the walls. This place isn't holding up so well - hasn't been maintained." After hearing the party's desire to try the right hand path, he heads that way, moving carefully. "Finster?" he whispers.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

As Hoom cross the threshold of the door he lowers his lantern to illuminate the ground below. He searches for the remains of Telkis' little friends. Then a thought sends shivers up his spine.
"Hey what if the villagers discover the doors open and barre it closed again. I don't want to be trapped in here."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo agrees with the logic of Hoom.

That is exactly why I suggested one or more of us staying here to guard our escape. I don't think this unattended underground mud tunnel system can be too large. If you need my help, you could just shout out for me and I will come running.

Bo waits at the door to see if the others like the idea or not. If not, he reluctantly follows behind the group in his usual position at the back.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

"I see no reason to choose one way over another," says Grothnak. "Lead on, Telkis, and I will be right behind you."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I'll stay back with Bo. It will be safer if we keep in pairs when splitting up."
He passes his lantern to Mouser who is the closest person to him.
"Take this so you'll have some light in there."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Grognardsw »

"I'll stay too," Mouser says, letting another take the lantern.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid takes the lantern from Mouser and hands over an unlit torch - "In case it gets dark."
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

Beneath the manse of madness, the adventurers divide their number.

Hoom, Long Bo and Mouser remain in the eerie stone dungeon of human-sized cages that dangle from iron chains. Their companions, and Moogeye Comcra (MC), dare venture through the barred door, into the dark, putrid warrens of the undead beyond, and are soon far from sight.

Given what horrors they've witnessed in their brief time here, there was no certainty that they would ever see each other again.

Actions, Hoom, Long Bo and Mouser?

Avril, Grothnak, Ingrid, Moogeye, Pelias and Telkis make slow progress as they descend into the earthen labyrinth, trudging over uneven ground covered in standing water and mud. The tight, subterranean channel forces the heroes into single file. Bonechilling water rains from tiny stalactites and flows in rivulet tributaries down the walls to join the shallow, icy lake swallowing their feet. The sound of dripping water, splashing footsteps, and the heroes' whispers echoes along the winding tunnels. Ingrid's lantern casts black shadows before them as they venture deeper and further into the claustrophobic burrow. They find no sign of Finster or any other living thing. The air grows still and noxious with the smell of rotting flesh as the cramped, stifling passageway ascends to drier ground and another juncture of dark, dank shafts.
the tunnel beneath the inn.jpg
the tunnel beneath the inn.jpg (317.89 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 3.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 3.jpg (367.36 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Map: Each square is 5 feet.

Actions?

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Lets bar the other two doors so we aren't surprised. Any ideas in securing the trap door above?"
Hoom goes over to the door that leads to the basement and moves the large wooden bar into place if not already there. He will then proceed to the other door to the north and do the same if not already done.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Why are we always splitting up?" mumbles Telkis. Arriving at the new intersection, he motions to the others that he will take the right hand path, following Avril's sound maze navigation advice. He keeps his hand axe ready to throw, with Cranach ready at his belt. He'll keep examining the floors, walls and ceiling ahead of them as they go for any signs of immediate danger. Besides undead villagers.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo suddenly feels a bit cowardice as he realizes that he has stayed behind with the two thieves of the party. Not wanting to risk that type of reputation, he moves into the tunnel behind the others with his lamp.

He is sure that he heard the group turn left at the first intersection so, that's exactly what he does. He moves south to the first fork, prodding all around with his spear as he slowly moves through the tunnel. He strains his eyes forward to see what madness lies ahead.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”