Mister-Kent
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

March 4/5 Descent into the Under City - The Dwarven Pipeline

#1 Post by Mister-Kent »

Woundsday, March 4th
The Harbor of Grudges
It's before noon on Woundsday, and the rain falls quickly over Vornheim, causing foaming ripples in the harbor. As barges dock and unload, a subtle simmering unrest threatens to consume all wards on the shores of the River of Despair. Zaent returns to his "family" in the 13th Ward as the peal of thunder, like church bells, sounds over the city.

Access to the Under City
Matron Elliya recommended to Gul Marach finding an access point around the harbor, and Zachariah's informant Fog has provided two such shoreside sites--a thick, hexagonal iron sewer grate in the 24th Ward and a submerged rocky shelf leading to a floodgate at the 13th Ward waterfront.

The former requires some navigation of ancient, possibly ramshackle ductwork. The latter requires some light swimming and brief diving.
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: March 4: Descent into the Under City

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

"D'ye spy the currents that sweep us along? We seek knowledge o' the Undercity, and lo, comes a wave to sweep us along that bearing. As fer how to plot our course, I'd show a preference for th' submerged gate, and to proceed t'wards the cistern by way of the Subterranean Steppes. I do not like the notion of crawling through pipework—too many opportunities f'r ambush and unsound construction. And to begin out voyage in the embrace of th' Waters of the World seems a fine thing."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

Zaent Darkhand, elven criminal:

The elf had no love of water. Neither path to the Urchin Queen suited him. So he let the others decide.

That morning, Zaent and Ballar Uh made their way to the deathbed of Godric Greathouse. Just before they arrived, Zaent said to Ballar Uh, "If he still lives, let the poor man discuss his final arrangements first. Then you can ask all the questions you want."

When they saw Sable, Zaent didn't introduce Ballar Uh.
"Sable, I see a way where you and Godric will both be happy, and both get what you want. Let's discuss it with him," he said as he braced himself for news of Godric's death.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
Inferno wrote:That morning, Zaent and Ballar Uh made their way to the deathbed of Godric Greathouse. Just before they arrived, Zaent said to Ballar Uh, "If he still lives, let the poor man discuss his final arrangements first. Then you can ask all the questions you want."

When they saw Sable, Zaent didn't introduce Ballar Uh.
"Sable, I see a way where you and Godric will both be happy, and both get what you want. Let's discuss it with him," he said as he braced himself for news of Godric's death.
Obviously, Ballar Uh won't follow Zaent blindly just anywhere.

"Who is this man?" He won't move unless he gets an answer. He can be manipulated with Alea's memory, but his instincts are still strong.

"This the place of your clan?" Ballar Uh asks when they get closer. He isn't sure, of course, but he is somewhat versed in the City's criminal underground and takes a guess. Besides, he might know a thing or two about Zaent from Delver rumors.

Mister-Kent, can Ballar Uh have any information on the thief clans' dealings? Maybe with a successful check? Just some basic info, maximum a rumor about possible conflict or antagonism between the gangs.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Inferno »

Fulci wrote:Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
Obviously, Ballar Uh won't follow Zaent blindly just anywhere. "Who is this man?"
"I already told you, an old man who lays dying. The longer we delay, the more likely he'll be dead when we reach him." Zaent whispered impatiently as he moved beyond Ballar Uh's grasp.
Fulci wrote:Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin
He won't move unless he gets an answer.
Zaent had no time for this Vorn-damned bullshit. He coldly laughed in disbelief. "I thought I was doing you a favour. That's what I get. Very well. Suit yourself, friend," he said with a detached nod. "See you later."
Then he raced with speed through the dark shadows and alleys of pre-dawn Vornheim, not wanting to be followed.

Zaent needed less wildcards in the dangerous hand he was about to play, not more. This deadly game was for keeps. And it was clear now that he'd have better odds of surviving it if Ballar Uh was discarded.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by LtTibbles »

Pulpatoon wrote:"I do not like the notion of crawling through pipework—too many opportunities f'r ambush and unsound construction. And to begin out voyage in the embrace of th' Waters of the World seems a fine thing."

"I dunno the same could be said of the swim who knows what creatures could lurk in those waters waiting to drag us down, if we did encounter such a situation it would be quite difficult to defend ourselves in the water.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

New threads! Gah! Now subscribed.

Gul-Marach doesn't seem fond of saturating himself, but concedes that wetness is inevitable. He takes the time to properly oil and protect his iron weapons and armor before they go forth and then consigns himself to the fate.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Mister-Kent »

The thunder ceases by noontime, but the rain continues.

Ballar Uh
Ballar Uh Wisdom Check: [1d20] = 13

So you don't have the clearest picture of Zaent's criminal background, and maybe not even know specifically to which criminal guild he belongs. As you approach the 13th ward and the waterfront, you do call upon your knowledge of the city's seedier side. The waterfront is populated by many kinds of criminal. Alea used to receive shipments of mystical goods from Ulverland, which were frequently targeted for theft by local guilds.

You recall the names of the following criminal guilds, all of which have made attempts on Mistress Alea's property. Beyond their name and the fact that they are active within Vornheim, you recall nothing else.
  • Slow Hands
  • Marked Men
  • Night Clan
  • Ebon Blades
  • Faded Vapors
  • Patch-cloaks
Zaent
You arrive at the Night Clan's gray tower and see the somber faces of those posted outside. Reaching old Godric's chamber, you find the hallway stuffed full of concerned clan-mates. Upon wading through them, you find the door to the bedroom wide open. Sable is with her father, who's being tended by a tall, emaciated man with a small bag of physician's tools.

So everyone else is scoping out the entrances then? I'll have some visual guides tomorrow.
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh is slightly confused - being ditched by Zaent? But than he slowly arrives at a possible conclusion: the thief only needed a free bodyguard while he crossed a dangerous quarter (possibly belonging to an enemy clan). The whole Alea business was just a con. Ballar Uh feels cheated. How can this lowly pickpocket desecrate Alea's memory?!

Ballar Uh kicks a nearby crate with full force, shattering it to pieces. Then he turns around and heads off to pick up some supplies for the upcoming Delve. Then - to find his comrades.
G A M E S :

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

Zaent waded through the pack of thieves, briefly nodding his greetings to old remembered faces as he passed them. After running through the gauntlet, he silently went to Godric's side, touched his shoulder, nodded at Sable, and listened for the physician's prognosis. His eyes couldn't help noting the exits to this room.

Then they slid to Godric's bedside table and hands to see what items of value the old man had selected for the end. Godric had built an empire, outlasted friends and enemies alike. What was left to show for it? What had it all been for?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Mister-Kent wrote:...two such shoreside sites--a thick, hexagonal iron sewer grate in the 24th Ward and a submerged rocky shelf leading to a floodgate at the 13th Ward waterfront.
Biblo Phyle, arcanist

"Swim? Do I look like I enjoy swimming? With this robe and many pockets..." says the sorcerer scribe. "Let us take the sewer grate."
Without a pointer in the previous thread, I didn't realize there was a new one :oops: I've now subscribed to the whole forum.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Mister-Kent »

Zaent
Godric Greathouse clutches a small scroll in hand as he fades away--a scroll depicting constellations of the night sky.

"I regret that…he cannot see the stars one more time," Sable says, staring out at the window view of the harbor pounded by the driven rain.

Some of those star formations marked on the scroll are ones old Godric showed you in your youth. You'd be out sitting on the roof of a nobleman's tower, casing it for your next heist, and Godric would stop everything to take in the night sky. It was the he taught you about "the Mourner" and "the Manticore", and how the Manticore's tail points to the "Dryad Sisters" on the spring equinox. From the Dryads you can trace the curve of the "Thrax's Bow" all the way to the waving hand of "the Sycophant".

At the center of the scroll is an unfamiliar constellation, labeled "The Beast."

Godric opens his eyes with a deep breath, the closes them again suddenly. He looks at you the second before he dies, smiling.

Sable is silent, in shock. The physician clicks his tongue with mild disappointment and uncrosses his arms. He lifts something from his bag--a medical mask with a long beak. He places some herbs in the beak, then ties it on, inhaling deeply.

The Party
The closest of the two options is closer to you in the 12th Ward. Descending a short set of rough-made stairs submerged into the murky green waters of the River Despair, the party finds an ancient flood gate just where Zachariah's informant said it would be.

The gate is open slightly, with dark river water pouring into a long, man-sized duct. A test of strength (performed underwater, unfortunately) should force the gate open, or else there should be a crank somewhere along the river bank.
The sewer grate is in the 24th Ward--a hexagonal manhole covering, ornately wrought of a red-hued metal known as "blood-iron". It is a heavy lid, but not sealed. The grate opens to reveal a rusty iron ladder leading down into the dark of the sewers, hundreds of years of must wafting up from within.
Playing

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, scouting savant

Biblo, anticipating muck, procures knee high waterproof boots and pouches for items best kept dry.

Later...

Securing grapnel hook at the top, and rope around waist should the old iron ladder give way, Biblo climbs down the sewer shaft ladder. Along the way he looks for markings on the ladder for signs of recent usage by others.

At the bottom rung, he uses his staff-sling to judge the depth of water he is about to step into. Biblo peers left and right with his infravision should there be warm-blooded denizens lurking. He pauses and listens intently. Then he uses his staff-sling to judge the depth of water in the corridor(s) ahead.

With two tugs of the rope he gives the sign for others to proceed.

Spying out the unusual [1d6] = 1 & Listening for strange noises [1d6] = 2

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Mister-Kent »

Upon the ladder's rusted rungs appear the recent residue of muddy glove prints. The ladder itself is slick from rain seeping through the grate. From the pipes below you hear naught but the echo of your own descent, though something shiny does catch your eye far below...unfortunately, the ladder doesn't reach the bottom, ending abruptly four feet shy.
Playing

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

With Biblo's strong aversion to the water-gate, despite Zachariah's preference, Gul-Marach leads the other priests after Biblo to the sewer hatch. He uses his prodigious strength to open the red-iron hatch and watches Biblo descend. He urges the other two faithful to follow next before he descends, and asks Zachariah to bring up the rear.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zacharias Tar: "Aye, I'll keep th' aft. Y'want as I should pull the grate o'er us, or leave 'er open?"

As the scrawny prophet climbs down the ladder, he takes one last look at the sunlit world. "All waters run down to the Abyss, and the Abyss is not yet full," he mutters as he descends into the musty dark.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh catches up with the rest of the group a bit later.

"I will watch our backs," he says, as he descends after Zacharias Tar.
Sorry guys, I couldn't post earlier... I hope it's fine this way.
G A M E S :

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Lets get marching order and who's coming. We have the new figher/mage, too, right? Does this go off after Zaent has a chance to catch up or is he remaining separate for this whole adventure?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Mister-Kent »

Let's slot him into order, and say Zaent arrives shortly after Ballard Uh. Hm, haven't heard from Tobias' player, but we can have him back or middle maybe...

I'll have a Zaent post this evening.
Playing

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, spellunker
Mister-Kent wrote:... something shiny does catch your eye far below...unfortunately, the ladder doesn't reach the bottom, ending abruptly four feet shy.
"Observe the rung markings. Others have been here not too long ago," Biblo advises above.

Biblo holds onto the ladder and dips his staff in to make sure the depth is not perilous (none must know his dark secret.) If not, the prestidigitator lowers himself to the shaft bottom. He pokes at the shiny object with the staff, in case its the eye of some sewer beastie. If not, Biblo draws up his sleeve and picks up the object.

The magus whispers avian intent to Poe: "Scout ahead 10 tree-lengths and return."

Return to “Dungeonesque (LL AEC)”