Mister-Kent
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mournday, March 2: The Old Nineteenth

#281 Post by Marullus »

Inferno wrote:
Mister-Kent wrote:Zaent, et al
So Zaent, Mathias, Gul Marach and Biblo aim to ascend the northern wall then?
Yes please.
Following dutifully.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#282 Post by Mister-Kent »

The majority of the party heads north to the wall, passing near the old school as you go, the dusty and cracked road shifting slightly beneath your feet. You all hear the cry of a sounder, but there is no sign of any more of those things coming out of the ruins. It sounds likes its coming from the direction of the burning church anyway.

True to Mathias's suggestion, the silky black miasma rises to cover your escape, and you scale the wall with little problem. If one of the party looks back from atop the wall, he'll see hints of torchlight accompanied by the clopping of the Cavalry's hooves.

You enter the 22nd Ward, and drop from the great wall into a stepped garden. The garden is maze-like, with looming topiaries and stone sculptures. You scrape through finally, and find yourselves on a cobbled street.

Below is the map of the city--you are leaving Ward 19A to Ward 22.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Marullus »

"Let us speed to our meeting with the Dutchess. We need to examine this horn."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zacharias Tar to Olga: "If there be no connection to the caves below, then there's no point in tarryin'. Let's see you out of this ruin. I'll belay me own departure, and see if I can't get ye to some likely lads who will be making their own escape. Let's step with lively legs, aye? An tell me 'bout this Undercity whilst we do."

Tar heads back towards where he last saw the rest of the party. Any chance we run into the Northbound contingent?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#285 Post by Mister-Kent »

Ballar Uh and Morgan
Ballar Uh and Morgan may choose to reunite with the others after dropping off Bartholomew with his sickly brother. Barton does not recognize Bartholomew at first, but is overcome with emotion when he does--elation, shock, disgust, regret--it's all too much for the young man. Mere seconds after wax-faced Bartholomew sets foot into his family home, Barton cannot catch his breath, staggers back and faints, toppling over a bowl of blood-red apples onto the cold stone floor.

The Rest of the Party
Before Olga can get into much about the Under City, she and Zachariah meet up with the other northbound delvers. Olga is hesitant at first, but with Zachariah vouching for everyone she feels better. You navigate the fragrant streets of the 22nd Ward, the strong odor of flowers and occult chemistry burning your noses. It takes you about three hours to cross from the 22nd to the Inner City and the Cathedral--a trip complicated by the steep and winding streets of the northern wards.

As you all walk, Olga shares all she knows of the Under City form her time with the Delvers. The Under City is a massive catacomb and sewer network as deep as Vornheim's tallest towers. Most of it is ancient, possibly in ruins or flooded by the River of Despair, flowing from the north. The late Emperor Thrawl had a détente with the self-named "Beggars Guild" and their leader, but Olga has doubts about where that truce stands now that old Thrawl is gone. She timidly asks about the new ruler, and hopes they're at least half as good a leader as Thrawl.

As you near the Inner City you must first cross the Despair into the lofty 1st Ward. From the bridge, you get a view of the 2nd Ward--and the submerged ruin that used to be the 2nd Ward, right where the River Despair enters the city from the mountains.

3:00 PM
Three hours later you enter the Inner City, and reach the Eminent Cathedral. You have to pass by the Palace Massive, which is buzzing with imperial guards doing formation exercises, but other than that all seems normal.

Gul Marach
A familiar face and fellow follower of Vorn greets you at the gates of the church. Who are they?

Here is the Eminent Cathedral in the Inner City, home to the Church of Vorn--as seen in the Vornheim book, illustrated by Zak S. On my map, the Cathedral is the leftmost circle within the Inner City, and the Palace Massive is at the right.

Loot and XP in the next post, and then I think we'll begin a new thread for a new adventure!
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zaharias Tar will attempt to procure the following for Olga, in this order:
food
a bath
a change of clothes
a clerical diagnosis of her waxy condition

He will gently enquire as to whether she has any interest in meeting Bartholomew, and will keep an ear out for gainful employment—something quiet and secluded from prying eyes, like piece work.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Inferno »

Zaent Darkhand, elvish rogue:

Inside the Old 19th, Zaent wasn't happy about bringing an infected Wax-Face into the city proper; they knew almost nothing about these things. But he wasn't going to argue about it. "Fine. Let's go," he hissed.

Clear of the Old 19th, Zaent breathed easier, literally and figuratively. Looked like a successful heist, and a clean getaway. He turned his head to the roiling black smoke rising from the ward like an active volcano, and laughed.
Marullus wrote:"Let us speed to our meeting with the Dutchess. We need to examine this horn."
"Yes..." said Zaent distractedly, deep in thought. They were entering the final phase of the job, and the most critical. The moment of truth. Time to divvy up the loot.
Leaving the horn too long with Morgan, a thief, was risky. She could easily outwit, or charm, Ballar Uh. The longer she held it, the more she'd be tempted to disappear with it. Nothing against her. It was only natural. They needed to reduce her temptation by meeting up sooner than later. "...Yes."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo, arcanist

Biblo breathes deeply the fresh air, glad to be away from underground pits, wax monsters and fire. He smells the smoke still in his voluminous vermillion robe. He'll have to employ the Guild of Cleaners, Srubbers and Sweeps to get the stench out. 

The prospect of meeting the Duchess delights Biblo. She must surely have an impressive library. Perhaps he can take payment in books? The sorcerer-scribe looks about for the prized horn and does not see it. 

Biblo whistles for Poe. "Watch the horn," he squawks.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#289 Post by Mister-Kent »

Biblo Phyle
Poe squawks, and with a shake of his indigo-black feathers he takes off to look after Morgan and Ballar Uh

Zachariah Tar
Your endeavor to get the woman worked into a presentable state is warmly noticed by the Sisters of Rust who work in the cathedral. "You know, we could offer you the same treatment, sir," one sister offers, regarding your vagrant style of dress with an unsure smirk.

The sisters insist on food and a bath for her first, leading her to the bathhouses. When Olga returns after an hour or so, she looks remarkably different--the grime and dried wax has been scraped from her hair and face removing years of age from her appearance. She's been given a spare acolyte's robe to wear, and a rust-red scarf is drawn around her head as a blindfold.

"This cursed substance remains on her face, blinding her, despite our best efforts for scrub it," the sister in charge of the makeover reports, gesturing to the blindfold. She lifts it briefly, revealing the remaining dabs of wax across Olga's eyes and the bridge of her nose. "Its removal will take great power, greater than we currently have at our disposal."

Olga hopes to meet Bartholomew someday, but is content to stay put at the Cathedral for now.

Ballar Uh
Barton remains passed out only briefly, having received the terrible fright of seeing his brother so transformed. When he awakens, he is quite happy Bartholomew has returned.

"T-thank you for taking me from that Vorn-damned place," Bartholomew the Wax-Face says. "I…think I'll stay inside for a while. I don't know what the neighbors will think…"

Morgan, with the divine relic of Jovah now stowed in her pack, leads you down complex and obscure routes to get to the Cathedral--back ways you've never seen, or even heard of. As you travel, the familiar dark shape of a bird circles overhead.

When you finally reach the others, dinner is being prepared for all. Morgan gladly hands over the Horn to the group with a sly wink, meant mainly for Zaent. "I know what you were all thinking. But, I despise the thought of being predictable, so I'll do you square. This time." She then drops all pretense of roguish bravada and sinks to a bench at the dinner table, exhausted and still quite sore.

Gul Marach
Matron Elliya, the magnanimous leader of the Sisterhood of Rust, arrives as the food is laid out, and addresses you first, asking to see the artifact. "Blessings of rain, Brother Gul Marach. Hm. I'm not terribly familiar with these. What is the purpose of such a device?" she asks, tapping the metal tube nervously.

1st Delve into the Old Nineteenth officially complete
Rewards and Items Recovered

First Delvers to breach the Old 19th
Recovered Horn of Concordance
Rescued Acolytes Bartholomew and Olga
Defeated five sounders
Defeated five Inquisitors

3 golden candlesticks (appraise at 300gp)
1 dark gray metal necklace (in Horn bag) (appraise at 80gp)
1 brass ring (in Horn bag) (appraise at 15gp)
1 blood candle

1779xp each
395gp total
(and then plus whatever you can get for the Horn…)
Playing

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#290 Post by Fulci »

Mister-Kent wrote:Ballar Uh
Barton remains passed out only briefly, having received the terrible fright of seeing his brother so transformed. When he awakens, he is quite happy Bartholomew has returned.

"T-thank you for taking me from that Vorn-damned place," Bartholomew the Wax-Face says. "I…think I'll stay inside for a while. I don't know what the neighbors will think…"
Ballar Uh just looms in silence, not knowing what to say. The two brothers future is bleak - but, then again, the City is a harsh mistress. "I... will visit you," he finally squeezes out a few words, then turns around and leaves the house.
Mister-Kent wrote:Morgan, with the divine relic of Jovah now stowed in her pack, leads you down complex and obscure routes to get to the Cathedral--back ways you've never seen, or even heard of. As you travel, the familiar dark shape of a bird circles overhead.

When you finally reach the others, dinner is being prepared for all. Morgan gladly hands over the Horn to the group with a sly wink, meant mainly for Zaent. "I know what you were all thinking. But, I despise the thought of being predictable, so I'll do you square. This time." She then drops all pretense of roguish bravada and sinks to a bench at the dinner table, exhausted and still quite sore.
Ballar Uh appreciates Morgan's sneaky ways around town - the little thief always holds many surprises. When re-united with the others, he sits down at the table and, strangely, feels hunger, as if the feelings of the fellow Delvers were somehow projected on him. He picks up some food and listens to the dialogue between the clergy of Vorn.

Mister-Kent wrote:1779xp each
Sweet, I'm leveling up as an Assassin...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Marullus »

Gul-Marach embraces the Matron, his stoic and dour self giving way to the moment of warmth with his long friend. "Their faith is focused on hearing... No written liturgies, all passed mouth-to-ear. These acolytes, blinded that they might better listen. The old priest who performed such rites called himself 'the Unanswered' as he listened for instructions from the divine. Since they angered and were smited by their God, the horn availed them nothing... But it seems clear it is attuned to the divine plane for hearing the words of the Gods. The Regent wanting it is reason enough to seal it away... If it opens ears to words not from Vorn it can only lead to ill." He looks to his companions, then back to her. "My companions braved much to see it arrive here safely... And in secret. Many powers sought it. I trust the Cathedral can reward their effort."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#292 Post by Mister-Kent »

The food on the feast table seems plentiful enough for the party, though its neither succulent nor attractive--entirely utilitarian in its selection. Broad flat breads, slabs of some gray meat, and carafes of frothy green ale.

Mathias hunkers down at the end of the table and seems to consider eating something, scowling and shrouding himself in his stolen cloak. Morgan hungrily finishes plate after plate, gleefully unladylike in her face-stuffing. Olga tears bread and soaks it in water before each bite.

Gul Marach
Matron Elliya returns your hug warmly, but remains guarded yet hospitable to your companions. Though steadfast and outspoken in church matters, she'd always been more reserved around Delvers, yourself and your friend Dena Lageer being major exceptions.

"If no one's heard from this god Jovah, it would appear he's done with this plane. If he'd abandoned his church, he won't miss this relic. I must take this to the High Priest, but you know Bar-Badon--I'm sure he won't mind me taking 500 pieces from the church coffers to repay you for your efforts. That is, especially if its something the Christina the Scarlet had her eye on." She gestures to the sister who had been handling Olga--Sister Krystyn--who runs off and returns shortly with 500 gold.

As Krystyn drops the gold into your hand, she clears her throat. "Cavalry's out in force today, and there looks like a fire in the east. You folks know a thing about that?"
Playing

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Inferno »

Zaent Darkhand, elvish rogue:
Mister-Kent wrote: Morgan gladly hands over the Horn to the group with a sly wink, meant mainly for Zaent. "I know what you were all thinking. But, I despise the thought of being predictable, so I'll do you square. This time."
"I'm relieved to hear it, Duchess," Zaent's mouth smiled warmly. "I'd hate to have to kill you."
He returned the wink and then set his cold eyes on the Horn to appraise its value.

The heist was a success, and no casualties. The elvish criminal joined the celebration, but not fully. His mind was already elsewhere... Plotting the next job for this enterprising group.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, antiquarian arcanist

Ever the optimist, Biblo handles the dark gray metal necklace found in the Horn bag, pondering if it may be enchanted. He looks at the brass ring also. He slips it on, thinking "I wish I knew if these were magical."

"If you don't mind," he tells the others, "on the morrow I shall study my detect magic dweomer and examine these."

The enchanter enjoys the company of the feast.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#295 Post by Fulci »

Ballar Uh, fighter/assassin

Reflections, reflections...

The journey into the belly of the Old Nineteenth proved to be an eventful one. After Delves, Ballar Uh usually descends into a blissful oblivion. But now his mind is racing, fueled by the echoes of the adventure. Seeing the others in action made him realize that there are many fields he can improve in himself. The sneaky ways of thievery, the lore of weird, arcane monsters and unspeakable cults... And the reassuring, empowering feeling of serving others, maybe serving a god - Vorn? He's been there before: trying to find his place in the church of Vorn. But that didn't work out. His loyalty way always to Dena Lageer, but never to the old rusty god himself. He was impressed by the majesty and braveness of Gul-Marach, but failed to see the unseen hand guiding the priest, granting him power.

All these thoughts, these reflections, echoes, as if they're belonging to somebody else, an alien mind. Ballar Uh is confused. But he definitely learned something. He just needs some time to put it to use. Maybe another Delve?.. Let's hope this team of misfits will welcome him for another time as well.

"Good Delve, good feast," he sums it all up in the end.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#296 Post by Mister-Kent »

"Good idea," Morgan says to Biblo, rubbing her hands together. "If those turn out to be enchanted, then who knows what else is locked up in that dusty old ward. It may be worth going back for more..."

The party may return to the Delvers Guildhall at your convenience--I assume your lodgings are in the towers above the guild. Zachariah, I'm sure you can find something there too, if you're ready to move off the streets ;)

Also, Biblo has an appointment, should he choose to keep it, with Photus Fairbanks at the Library of Zorlac--something about an intimate evening with Biblo's spellbook.

After the evening's activities have been decided, I'll have more delve options for you.
Playing

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Pulpatoon »

Zacharias Tar quietly worries about the prophecy that crashed upon him the other day. He frankly doubts the party's interventions were significant enough to stem the tide that threatens this city. If only the prophecy came with insight! Still, he suspects that the abandoned ward is a part of it, and this group of Delvers seem as good a lead as any. The vagrant decides to stay close to the Delvers, following them on their celebrations, and accepting lodging at the Hall, if it is offered.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#298 Post by Mister-Kent »

Part One

Mournday Evening

The meal is filling for you all, and in some cases (Zachariah) much heartier than anything you've eaten in some time. Throughout Matron Elliya repeatedly apologizes for the absence of the High Priest Bar-Badon. Since the Scarlet Regent Christiana and her White Way cronies have risen to power, he's locked himself in the Wrack Spire for fear of enemy infiltrators within the Church of Vorn. Elliya dismisses such paranoid thoughts, but Sister Krystyn, in her subtle, accusing way, regards the entire party with suspicion.

Deciding not to return to the Delvers right away, Olga gives her guild apartment key to her rescuer, Zachariah, and asks that he tell Lord Grandulo that she yet lives.

Biblo attends his appointment with Photus Fairbanks, arriving at the Library of Zorlac promptly as the clock strikes 8:00 PM. He examines your spell tome eagerly--under Biblo's close supervision, as previously arranged. He laments not having a spell tome of his own, but hopes to acquire one soon.

"O friend," Photus sighs at the end of the night. "I th-a-a-aank you for your company, and your insight. If you ever need research assistance, you kno-o-o-w where to find me."

He slides your spellbook back to you and bids you farewell. Sometime late that night, in preparing your spells for the morrow, you find a note hidden within. Written on a page torn from a book of riddles is a list. It appears to be a list of obscure book titles, with finder's rewards listed for each.

Overnight

Gul Marach's sleep is frequently disturbed by dreams of flames. He finds himself standing amidst flames--however, it is not the Chapel of Jovah burning. It is the Eminent Cathedral of Vorn, crumbling around the cleric, engulfed in crimson fire. Each time he sees this, just before he awakens he hears a familiar voice, the young female voice that he hears in all his waking nightmares.

Zachariah's sleep is frequently interrupted by the strangeness of sleeping in a strange bed. At times he feels as if he is sinking into the mattress, and it becomes a great waterfall that he is plummeting down into a black lake, like the one in the cavern of the Unanswered's abode. He has vivid visions of drifting down the current. The waterfall flows down, down into the Under City, where Zachariah finds himself washed up onto shore, thrown at the foot of a giant stone throne.

He sees the Regent's Inquisitors stand around in a semi-circle, striking the throne with their swords to no effect. Before Zachariah awakens, a large woman in a white robe steps forth, raises her hand, and the Inquisitors part to let her approach the throne. With a clench of the woman's fist, the throne shatters.

(To Be Continued Tomorrow...)
Playing

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo attends his appointment with Photus Fairbanks, arriving at the Library of Zorlac promptly as the clock strikes 8:00 PM. He examines your spell tome eagerly--under Biblo's close supervision, as previously arranged. He laments not having a spell tome of his own, but hopes to acquire one soon.

"O friend," Photus sighs at the end of the night. "I th-a-a-aank you for your company, and your insight. If you ever need research assistance, you kno-o-o-w where to find me."

He slides your spellbook back to you and bids you farewell. Sometime late that night, in preparing your spells for the morrow, you find a note hidden within. Written on a page torn from a book of riddles is a list. It appears to be a list of obscure book titles, with finder's rewards listed for each.
"I will keep the bargain Photus," says Biblo, taking a seat in a private study in the Library. He pokes the fire to brighter light in the fireplace. For a moment he sees a melting face of a Sounder. "But truth be told your information was scant and not of much use in my task."

The arcanist draws out from his vermillion robe of plentuful pockets his compact traveling spell book of greased vellum, writ in the indelible ink of the salt marsh octo-crab. He sets the grimoire on the blood oak table.

As Photus peruses the book Biblo writes in his journal, occasionally watching his colleague. 

Has Biblo heard of any of the books on the book search list? Are they non-magical titles?

The next morning, Biblo studies his Detect Magic spell and casts it while examining the necklace and ring from the horn bag.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#300 Post by Mister-Kent »

Biblo Phyle
You have your spell prepared to discern the magical nature of the jewelry you've discovered. After close study, they are proven to be wholly mundane.

As for the books, you recognize some of the titles as obscure texts mentioned in guildmates. Some, like the notorious Grimoire of Walking Flesh, are only spoken of in hushed tones. Others are mundane but extremely hard to find for various reasons.
  • Grimoire of Walking Flesh, a dreadful tome of spells most foul - 1000g
  • Infamous Prayers to the All-Wise Mountain Gods, a holy text - 300g
  • Vampyr (text unknown, presumably on the subject of vampires?) - 300g
  • Spears and Glaives: A Guide To Peacetime Use (text unknown) - 100g
  • The Mating Habits of Minotaurs: An Overview (text unknown, but sounds self-explanatory) - 100g
  • Ancient Mappes of the Ruinous Scar, a famous book of ancient cartography - 100g
You know from your personal experience that all books can have significant value in Vornheim should one find the right collector. The Librarians of the Library of Zorlac are always seeking the most expensive and obscure volumes.
Playing

Return to “Dungeonesque (LL AEC)”