Open Games License: Wotc

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Open Games License: Wotc

#1 Post by Bluetongue »

I wonder what my fellow gamers make of the discussion to changes with the OGL and how it may affect us here on the Unseen Servant?

Here is a link but I know many YouTube D&D content makers have uploaded comments in their various channels.

https://screenrant.com/one-dnd-ogl-chan ... s-dragons/
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Open Games License: Wotc

#2 Post by Rex »

It seems to definitely be the discussion of the day. I am hopeful it wont effect us here as far as playing pbp games but could see it reducing the amount of OGL material out there. I am not a lawyer, but it seems that even among lawyers the opinion of if it will have any impact varies considerably.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I hope it does not affect us overly much. But I am sure the admins and ToniXX will update us on any restrictions or changes that have to be legally made. I'm no lawyer either so I can't really say much with any % of certainty. Do we have any true lawyers in the mix of players on here? I know we all come from different walks of like and locations. Perhaps someone else can better shine some light on this situation.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

Doubtful it'll affect PbP games, or Actual Play videos, or reviews. My guess is that Unseens Servant will likely take the same approach that Stuart Marshall is taking in regards to OSRIC. If they send us an official letter, then we will make changes depending on what's in the letter. I'm willing to bet my shiny new dime that no letter will be forthcoming. ;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Agreed, I think this is primarily directed to other media. Movies, TV, video games and D&D Beyond type stuff. Free pbp isn't on there list. I think Zhym is a lawyer, got mention sometime in the past but I could be wrong.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#6 Post by Scott308 »

It looks like they are really only concerned with anyone monetizing 5e. If there's no money to be made, they aren't as concerned.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

My concern lies in the fact that popular products (OSRIC, OSE) were released under an agreement that, according to leaks, Wizards/Hasbro is seemingly attempting to delegitimize:
OGL no longer authorized.jpg
OGL no longer authorized.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 440 times
The wording in the leak ("no longer authorized") does seem like it will overrule the "You may use any authorized version of this License" in section 9; but the use of the word "perpetual" in section 4:
Perpetual, Authorized.png
Perpetual, Authorized.png (295.35 KiB) Viewed 440 times
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out once OSR 1.1 is officially released.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

I'm catching up on email, and this post from Nord Games -- a larger company -- paints a gloomy picture. All three of the points they highlight are gross (especially the third):

WotC and OGL 1.1 (It's Complicated)

3. wrote:The new license states that all of our content using the OGL 1.0 and 1.1 becomes the property of WotC. Additionally, they do not have to pay us for the use of that content. They can also terminate our license at any time for any reason, even if we do not violate the terms of the new license. So for example they could take our Treacherous Traps book, re-publish it word for word as their own, AND demand that we destroy all of our physical copies in our warehouse AND demand we not sell it in PDF format ANYWHERE.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Ah but WotC has used the "leaked documents" tactic in the past. As they have used the C&D letters. A bunch that they didn't follow up on.
OGL 1.0 has the "in perpetuity" clause, which most will hang their hat on. But agreed, it could affect some publishers, but I thought their real targets were the kickstarters and such.
It's certainly going to be interesting.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#10 Post by Scott308 »

There is an open letter to WotC for #OpenDnD. I know online petitions don't really have the same impact as one on paper with handwritten signatures, but it's not a completely useless act. Here is that letter that you might want to sign.

https://www.opendnd.games/
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

It's a dick move by WotC, but does that really surprise anyone?
I'm guessing Paizo stock will plummet and small 3rd Party publishers will disappear.
It won't affect the forum here because we do not create our own material, unlike Dragonsfoot which has a bunch of OGL material listed on their forum.
BTW, as soon as my 5E game ends, I'm selling my 5E books. Done with the glut.
Winter is coming...
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

It is definitely an ahole move. Its not just the game material you have to be done with, it is the TV, movie, video game stuff they are planning you need to be done with too.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well leave it to WotC to ruin something good. Sorry jaded a bit. I liked MTG way back in early editions then they went and made it imo worse, and a bit overpowered/overkill. At any rate I'll be glad that it does not ruin the forums but it really sucks that it would ruin pretty much everything else.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Wow. They really shit the bed and... their response (which took them over a week to compose) feels... very... placating?

An Update on the Open Game License (OGL)

Thankfully, none of their idiocy should affect anything we do here, but I feel like significant damage has been done to the community and the continuation or expansion of the game has been jeopardized.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

Looks like WOTC have blinked, for now at least. This round goes to the community.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

The mass unsubscribing of DDB accounts seemed to play a part. :) It's all about the GP my friends, and imagine how many XP WotC lost in that round :D
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Level drain.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:07 pmLevel drain.
YESSSSSSSSSS! Worse than death to us older edition gamers! :SAN:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Level drain is BAD!

It does look like they blinked for now. The next question is do we see another draft or do they skip that and go straight to the new "Official" OGL. Positive progress for now.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As expected, this whole thing is such a mess.

Hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Return to “General RPG discussion”