Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Inferno
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#141 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Grognardsw wrote:As the party discusses next steps, Mouser comments, "The town isn't going anywhere. I still think investigating the tavern in Hillhook can gain us more information, then we return to Briarsgate. Our absence over several days will also lull the town into thinking we've gone for good. I suspect they are still on high alert at the moment."
"Good thinking," says Ingrid and nods several times. "Who knows, we might stop the cult's expansion to Hookhill. Possibly learn more about their workings. But we have to be quick, before the Briarsgate cultists alert their brethren..."

"In the meantime, send in our fiercest troops - the field mice!" she even smiles, but only for a split second. "Telkis, Bo, is it possible? Do the rodents obey your commands to go on long distance scouting? And, most importantly, will they return?"

She asks all her companions: "Anybody in need of healing? I can evoke Trithereon's blessings to soothe your pain and mend your bones..."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak sits in a corner oiling and sharpening his halberd. He looks up when he hears the suggestion that the party return to Hookhill.

"We are needed here," he says. "Felicity and Killian may yet live. The delay of going back to Hookhill could mean their death. We should return to Briarsgate, whether to investigate the tunnel or find any villagers who remain not charmed."

He returns to polishing his weapon.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by AleBelly »

A good night's sleep seems to have changed Pelias' perspective somewhat.

"Both ideas are meritous" replies Pelias, "but I was not the only one that promised to protect Felicity and her family. We do not yet know their fate. If we are to level accusations of conspiracy back in Hookhill, we will need proof. We also know not the depth to this treachery. Let us gather information in Briarsgate - it will help plot our course upon our return to Hookhill, Heironeus willing."

Upon Ingrid's mention of healing, the paladin offers his own. "I believe I can restore Telkis to nearly full health. The power of my god is not capricious as others, and is well predictable. Perhaps your god's powers could be better used for Grothnak and Bo."

With that, Pelias tends to Telkis' wounds with his fancy paladin hands.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, Gnome Fighter
OGRE MAGE wrote:Perhaps Telkis could gather up a few of his mouse friends and have them take a run through the tunnels?
"Well, of course. Excellent idea. Certainly worth a try. I'll go ask and see what I can find out." Telkis will exit the house and approach the edge of the field.
If he can find a mouse, he'll get down on all fours, introduce himself and explain the situation, mentioning his meeting with Jenkins in the town and their agreement. Then he'll ask: "Are you mice familiar with the tunnels under the Golden Grain Inn? Do any amongst you know of another exit or what we might find in there? I'd not ask you to put yourselves in danger, but if you're not familiar with it, would you be willing to scout it out for us and report back?"

If needed: Charisma Check (13): [3d6] = 10
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, sharper
Inferno wrote:Mouser secretly searches the farmhouse. He discovers a hand axe and a pitchfork hidden near the front and back doors. Under the farmers' bed, beneath a loose plank in the floor, are papers concerning the purchase of the farm seven months ago, and what remains of their life savings since: 30 pieces of silver.
Mouser leaves the axe and pitchfork, pockets the silver, and reads the papers to see who owned the farm before the dead family.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#146 Post by dmw71 »

Avril finds herself in agreement with Grothnak and expresses her intent to return to Briarsgate before moving on to a new town.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#147 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo listens to the arguments made for both ideas.

I agree with returning to Briarsgate post haste. We need to learn what we can before it becomes too late for any other innocents that may still remain. If we can save even one more person from the terrible fate of those mindless zombie people, I think that is our correct path.

I can have my friends new avian gang fly around the town for a while before we return. He can relay their findings to me as we make our way back. Any information they can gather can be learned by us before we decide where to investigate first.
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#148 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid gives in to what seems like the majority. "Fine. We stay in proximity of Briarsgate. Although I think we should find another place to stay soon (while waiting for our animal spies to report back...). Who knows, the cultists might search all farms and hiding places. Any ideas?

What we need is information. We tried interrogating a villager back at the Inn, but without any success - the wretched souls were just screaming and mumbling, as if incapable of uttering a human word. Must be an effect of the charm. If only we had the library of my monastery at our disposal! Or the equally knowledge-filled brains of my old friend, Henri Kolde! He would surely know, what abomination can cause such a mass hypnotic chaos."

She heals Bo, the druid:
Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 6
then asks him:

"Bo, you mentioned a hermit living in the grove near-by. Was it just an assumption, based on the, well, "naturieness" of the place?"

Then, once again, turns to the paladin:
"Ever the humble Pelias, you too are in need of assistance. Let me heal your wounds."
Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 8
Sweet!
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom nods in agreement with all that is said. He is easy going and will follow the group to what ever destination that is desired as long as he gets to fill his belly first.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#150 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo replies to Ingrid.

The young couple that we met and then failed to protect as we promised mentioned an old hermit that lived alone in a hut in the woods. I passed this grove myself on my walk about the town and I am assuming that the lone recluse that lives there might be one of my kind. Perhaps he has been overlooked by the evildoers and can offer us aid?
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
An Abandoned Farmhouse outside the Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Midday
Damp, chilly, misty

Sephus watches as Pelias lays hands upon Telkis and heals the gnome warrior with his holy blessings.

Telkis then finds field mice in the cornfield and speaks to them, requesting their aid. "I am called Finster!" squeaks their leader in the language of mice. "None of our colony have ever left these acres of farmland, good Master Gnome! We've not ever been to Briarsgate, and haven't heard anything from Jenkins lately, but we know of him! He is a mouse's mouse! A true murine, through and through! Any friend of Jenkins is a friend of ours! We're ever so happy to help you, sir! But we know not the way to Briarsgate, let alone this Golden Grain Inn! Three of us will be honoured to join you, and be of service in whatever humble way we can! Give us time to say farewell to our wives and children, and then we'll be ready to go with you!"

In the farmhouse, Mouser reads the property deed he found, and the signature of its seller: "Zacharias Ormond, Mayor of Briarsgate."

Ingrid heals Bo and Pelias with her wondrous, sacred gifts. Only Grothnak remains seriously wounded.

The heroes eat Hoom's feast and discuss their unenviable options. Consensus builds toward a return to the nightmarish village of Briarsgate, against the wishes of Mouser the thief, who seemingly longs for the comforting familiarity of Hookhill's rank, urban squalor.

Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl.
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 9/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl.
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak nods at Bo's latest suggestion. "Good idea. We should talk to this hermit."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#153 Post by dmw71 »

Avril, seeing Grothnak still laboring, takes advantage of the calm before the group turns to action. "Be still a moment," she says, placing her hand softly upon the half-orcs shoulder as she calls upon Corellon's powers.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#154 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A shocked look crosses Bo's face when the warrior agrees with him. It turns to a warm smile as he nods at Grothnak and then also to Ingrid, a silent thank you for the healing she administered on him.

I can heal a bit too if anyone is in dire need.

Bo spends some time digging in the earth to collect some large, fresh worms for Sephus and his new friends. He prepares the necessary spell and then feeds the murder some fresh meat, hoping that the offering solidifies the crows friendship with the druid.

The idea he will tell Sephus is for the crows to fly back to town ahead of the slower moving party. The birds will then fly around town quite normally, looking for any groups of people gathered together or anything else that seems out of the ordinary. The murder will then regroup on their way back to meet the party, dictating anything they saw to Sephus so he can translate it to Bo before we reach the outskirts of town.
DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

After eating all he can Hoom will go into the abandon farm house and search the kitchen pantry for some salt in which to preserve the uneaten portions of the venison. If none can be found he will take what meat he can. It will be still good to eat for at least a day or so. If they are to return to the inn he should be able to locate some salt there. Hoom repacks his backpack, checks his weapons and prepares to head out with the group when called upon.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"The mayor sold this farm to the family seven months ago, from some papers I found," says Mouser. "In more normal times."

"We should go in at night. The day time is too risky, unless we can get in the tunnels unseen."
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis stretches and cracks his neck after the healing from Pelias. "Ah. Thank you, sir. I feel like a million gold pieces." He packs a bit of hay from the barn into his pack and drops some grain in there, then turns to Finster when he and the other mice return from their families. "Finster, you are an honorable mouse, I thank you. I've created a space in my pack for you and your friends to ride to Briarsgate if you wish. There are some rules, however. First, you must fan out and find out what you can from Jenkins and the Briarsgate mice before attempting anything dangerous, find out about the tunnels - where they lead - and the hermit - is he a friend to them? Can he speak with them?" He catches Bo's eye and nods. "Second, you must not attempt anything dangerous! All I'm asking for is some eyes and ears. If you feel you are in danger, get away and report back to me. We'll handle the dangerous stuff."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias nods in gratitude towards Ingrid for her healing powers. "Yes. To the hermit" is all he says.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Zhym »

After Avril's healing, Grothnak stands up straight, stretches his arms wide, and beats his chest. "Ah!" he says with something not completely unlike a smile. "That's better. I am once again ready to vanquish evil! Thank you, Avril."

His good humor fades when he hears the Grey Mouser's plan to enter the town under cover of darkness. He stands as if at attention. "There is no honor in skulking about like a thief in the night," he declares. After a moment, his shoulders relax. He sighs and nods. "But perhaps there is wisdom."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
An Abandoned Farmhouse outside the Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Midday
Damp, cloudy, chilly, misty

The heroes who swore to uncover and destroy the mysterious evil that plagues Briarsgate forge a plan and make ready to depart their momentary refuge and sanctuary.

Bo the Druid utters magic words and tells Sephus of the adventurers' plans, in the language of crows.
"Are you sure you want to go back there?! They nearly killed the lot of us last time," Sephus caws before reluctantly taking wing with his ebon brethren, west to Briarsgate. "CAW! CAW! Caw! Caw! caw! caw!"

Avril uses her divine power to heal the wounds of Grothnak.

Hoom finds salt in the farmhouse pantry, and prepares and packs the remaining venison.

Finster the mouse says to Telkis, on behalf of the trio of adventurous rodents, "Those terms are acceptable! How ever so delightful to see Jenkins again after all this time! This will be a splendid little sojourn!" he squeaks as he snuggles into the cozy little mouse-bed in Telkis' pack. "Excuse me, my good gnome! You didn't happen to find any creamy, delicious cheese in the farmer's house, did you?" Finster smiles hopefully.

As dusk smothers the land, the party sets off down the Hookhill Road to Briarsgate. Spectral mist renders the world vague and eerie. Darkness grows.

After walking a mile, the group arcs north and west around the village, trudging over soggy farmland under cover of night, beneath the uncaring moon. They meet a muddy road and follow it south to an Abandoned Windmill (northwest of 24*) surrounded by untended cornfields on the village's outskirts.
windmill.jpg
windmill.jpg (199.88 KiB) Viewed 491 times
The harvest moon is out but the fog swallows up visibility at 100 feet. Nearby lurks the shadow of An Abandoned Farmhouse (24*) that Bo had seen yesterday. He recalls a well built home with all its windows and doors securely boarded up. Behind it, the barn's door swings freely in the breeze.

Sephus and the murder of crows are a scourge of blackness perched on the windmill's unmoving blades, patiently waiting.

Long Bo casts a sacred incantation and is once more gifted with powers of comprehension and enlightenment. Sephus caws, "The village has returned to utter normalcy. Nothing here is amiss... to all outward appearances. Some humans had gathered by the burned barn, but they could be curious onlookers.
"The old hermit is in his hovel, but would have nothing to do with me.
"Can we go now? You narrowly escaped the horrors of this village once. Why must you tempt the Fates again?"

Long Bo shares the report with the adventurers, if not the crow's sage counsel.

Actions?

*Map:
You are at the Abandoned Windmill, 100 feet northwest of 24, in the center of an overgrown cornfield.
The hermit is at 27.
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg
Unabridged Briarsgate Map.jpg (801.23 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun