Chapter 5: Nameless Things

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 5: Nameless Things

#141 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Maybe they were terrified because they knew they were going to die, the dwarf offers as he helps dispose of the corpses.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen will help drag the brutes out of the corridor as quickly as possible. Though she is loathe for the filth to desecrate any elven tomb, albeit one long ago fallen to darkness, she remains practical in the matter.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone makes an angry face as the Uruks are hidden. Like Gilwennen, she hates the idea of putting filthy Uruk-Hai in an Elven tomb.
While the bodies are moved, she takes up a guard position looking down the angled corridor.

recover arrows [1d2] = 1
recover arrows [1d2] = 2

She recovers one arrow- the other shattered on impact.
FA FO
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil sees Therone looking for arrows and goes looking for his.

None found.
Recover arrows [1d2] = 2 [1d2] = 2
Arrows struck.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly stomps around, trying not to curse too loudly; she is quite disappointed all three Uruks were killed before she could lay into them. "Ya think these are the only ones came in?"
Then Rumil's words sink in and she sends Red on after Elbenwin.

Sighing and throwing her hands up in frustration, she helps drag the dead Uruks into the room.
Winter is coming...
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Midday. Cloudy, damp, cold

In the elf stronghold of the ancient world, long ago fallen to shadow, the Company grimly drag the arrow-riddled orc-corpses into the elven crypt.

Rumil and Vindo search the rank bodies of the dead and recover three orc-bows, two dozen black arrows, three orc-shields, three orc-swords, some dozen silver coins, bone dice, a curved orc-knife, and one dark bottle of orc-grog. Much of it is stained with black blood and all of it stinks of orc.

Folco unsheathes his elf-sword and sees its blade flicker with cold light.

Yet all is quiet and no further torchlight disturbs the patient darkness.

The hobbit investigates the tomb by candlelight but if it holds any secrets, none are revealed.

Elbenwin finds no footprints to betray the Uruks' number. Red the dog sniffs the floor of the towering passageway, north and south.

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 20 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 11/21, Candle
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 26/41, Torch
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 20/34
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 7/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 16/31
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Scott308

#147 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Do we want to have the quieter members of our group try to advance and see if you can find anything?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"I am OK scouting ahead, but the Rangers and Folco are much better than I."
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin can scout ahead quietly. "Do we know how many of these foul Uruk's passed us by? We should be leery of another group waiting outside to come behind us in ambush. These foul creatures are clever.."
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by wolfpack »

I could not discern their number form he tracks brother, but I will scout with you.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Urson »

Therone
We proceed with as much caution as we can- and assume we haven't seen the last of these.... things.

Therone pauses long enough to add a share of the Uruk-arrows to her quiver. adding 6 arrows on char sheet
FA FO
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#152 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco shakes his head when he sees his blade still glowing.

"These weren't the only ones in their group, it would seem."

He checks his gear and moves to the front ranks again.

"I will scout ahead with my little flame here, if anyone cares to join me. Hopefully we should see their torchlight before they see me."

"That is a good point about more of them coming inside behind us, Elbenarin. Perhaps we could set up an early warning system of some kind. If anyone has a bit of string, we could run it across the width of the hall at boot level. If we tie the ends to a couple of these helmets or other loud clanky metal, we might be able to hear anyone coming before they know where we are."

If the rangers are willing, Folco leads the way into the darkness of the continuing hallway.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo regrets not having enough string to span the hall, and falls in behind Folco, off to the left. He once again prepares his sling before tiptoeing on quietly.
Scott308

#154 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

The dwarf will stay behind those scouting ahead as he is not likely to tread unnoticed. He'll keep an eye, an ear, and an axe toward the entrance in case anything should try approaching from behind.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen waits as the silent types investigate further. She keeps Baudhring ready.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil will advance with the group.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor will light one of his candles off of Folco's candle before he leaves. Then he will search the tomb for any more writings, or possible hidden areas.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly readily agrees to move forward...as cautiously as possible. She and Red will bring up the rear.
She lights another torch and follows along as quietly as she can.
Winter is coming...
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Midday. Cloudy, damp, cold

In the lonely, forlorn halls of the First ElvenKing, the Company divide their number.

Glasik, Gilwennen and Tinuwen stand guard as Naruthirdor investigates the sorrowful elvish crypt. The elf sage discovers one tomb lid almost imperceptibly out of alignment. The tomb of the ElfQueen's child has been disturbed!

Meanwhile, the rest of the Company slowly, carefully and quietly follow the great hall northward. After turning, it becomes a great chamber whose towering, tapestried walls range beyond their sight.

Candle and torch melt away the ageless shadows and suddenly there is a great stone altar upon which lie many treasures of gold.

But they look cold and unlovely because among them lay three great Uruks on their backs with eyes closed! (U4-6) Laid out like honored dead, ready for internment upon hallowed ground, their faces are deathly pale. Upon their heads are circlets. About their waists are golden chains. Swords lie by their sides, and shields are at their feet.

Suddenly in the darkness beyond the altar, the Company feels, rather than sees, a shadow rise: a tall black figure so dark it seems like a hole in the shadows behind it. (W1)

Baleful eyes glow from the infinite pitch. And terror threatens to take the heart of them all.

Actions?! (Advance scouts, please Save vs Spells in order to act. Wisdom modifiers count.)

Map Detail:

One square = 20 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 11/21, Candle
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 26/41, Torch
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 20/34
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 7/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, Candle
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 16/31
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
    Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun