Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 3: In the Deep Places of the World

#181 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco realizes that nobody is listening to him in the excitement of the oncoming battle, so he rushes over to the body of the dead troll and starts to push it as hard as he can towards the western intersection.

Str check? :lol:
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by wolfpack »

elbenwin readies his bow and uses the corner of the southern tunnel as partial cover holding his fire until he can make out whats approaching.
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#183 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen joins Elbenwin and takes up partial cover behind the other corner of the tunnel. She readies her bow but doesn't fire until she can see what approaches.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#184 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Setting his axe down, Glasik hurries over to help Folco push the corpse of the troll. Can I be of assistance, Master Boffin?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by rredmond »

"Pour some oil on that cave troll once you get him in place," Naruthirdor suggests, maintaining his vigil at the western passage, watching for any possible incoming baddies from there or the exit passage. "Fire is too often our enemy, let us use it to our advantage," he smiles, "they will think the troll just a barrier to crawl over, until it lights up." As they move/roll the troll, Naruthirdor looks to see if it has any oil, or sacks or anything that may hold something useful to the group.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

Torchlight in the unplumbed depths to the southeast!

Folco the hobbit quickly scurries and pushes the dead troll as hard as he can, to no avail! The vast corpse doesn't budge. Gilly and Glasik the dwarf siblings join him and together they make progress, encroaching on the rear flank of their own front line! Naruthirdor alternates between glancing west and scanning the immense troll body. He spies a sack on its thick belt.

Elbenarin, Elbenwin, Tinuwen and Therone join the archers at the crossroads and peer down into the dark depths of the orc tunnels. Their keen eyes adjust to the gloom and what they see there makes their blood run cold.

Orcs are the heinous progeny of dread Morgoth; insidious twisted mockeries of Elves birthed merely to spite Eru Iluvatar. But these fell creatures are no rabble of mindless Orcs. They are the Uruk-hai. Their armor is thick and their broad shields bear the white hand of Saruman! The wicked spawn of Sauron who crossed Orcs with Men, they are savage, fierce and powerful, without fear of sunlight or death. These evil monsters are bred only for warfare and murder, to end the World of Men.

Without hesitation, Gilwennen and Rumil loose more arrows down the long black tunnel! Two slender missiles sail true, landing in broad Uruk chests! The first pair of bestial monsters wear two arrows each! Yet both still stand, roaring in baleful defiance!

Uruk-hai voices are deep and guttural, and their foul tongue is like the crack and boom of rolling thunder. "Thrak! Vras draut!" one barks and suddenly the torch to the southeast is extinguished! The Uruks are plunged into darkness but their hated enemies are not.

From the stygian pitch, large black arrows fly! A cloud of airborne death descends upon the heroes at the crossroads! Gilwennen and Elbenwin are both impaled! (5hp and 6hp damage respectively!)

Then comes a chilling sound: a mighty horn blast from the Uruks, echoing in the deep!

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 3/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, Torch
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 2-8, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 62 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Taking a chance, Gilwennen will rush down the hall towards the danger, scoop up the stone she had previously lighted and hurl it as far as she can towards the Uruk-hai from behind cover of the piled orc bodies in the eastern hallway.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil lets loose two more arrows at the advancing Orcs, aiming for where he thinks the center of their ranks is.

Short Bow [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 to hit [1d6] = 5 to dam

Short Bow [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8 to hit [1d6] = 2 to dam
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen lets fly two arrows at the Uruk-hai, once they become visible.

To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 13+5 = 18

To hit with bow [1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15

Damage from arrow [1d6] = 1

Damage from arrow [1d6] = 5

I think the interwebs swallowed my first to hit roll. My wifi was kind of spotty and the page wouldn't load, so I never found out what that roll would have been. If I can find it I'll edit the post accordingly....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor grabs the sack and immediately checks it out to see if anything helpful is in there. ”I think whatever may be coming, we will be outnumbered.” He maintains his vigil at the passage with an occasional glance towards the entrance - hopeful both that they may be soon headed that way and that nothing else appears to come in.
Could the horn blast have been heard outside?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin will fire 2 arrows.

[1d20] = 16 -3 13
[1d6] = 6

[1d20] = 2 -3 miss
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin grips his sword and peers into the darkness waiting for a foe to approach.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#193 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Once the troll is in place, blocking the western intersection from any threats that might appear from that direction, Folco spends a few moments checking over the huge brute for any possessions it might have been carrying.

He stays near that area, listening intently down the hallways beyond their fleshy barricade for any more possible trouble.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Urson »

Therone
Miserable, mis-begotten mongrels! Therone shoots twice.

att [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22 missile
att [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23 missile

arrow[1d6] = 5
arrow[1d6] = 4
FA FO
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by hedgeknight »

Feeling almost whole, Gilly bellies up to the troll that only a few minutes earlier threatened to kill her and peers into the darkness, hearing the black voices, and wondering if she has enough fingers and toes to count how many foes are heading their way.
"Ya think we can hold 'em, brother? Or did we dig too deep and hit water this time around, eh?"
Winter is coming...
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 22, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Four. Damp, cold

The Uruk's horn blast dies and before the scattered company can act, another deadly barrage of black arrows erupts from the darkness! The large barbed missiles sow havoc among the heroes' ranks, feathering them with merciless ebon shafts! (-5hp, -1hp and -8hp damage to Rumil, Gilwennen and Elbenwin respectively!)

To the west, Naruthirdor discovers coins in the troll's sack. Folco finds nothing further on the troll's immense corpse and the fierce sounds of battle prevents him from hearing anything from the unknown regions to the west.

On the eastern front, suddenly and without warning, Gilwennen leaps forward into the path of the party's volley! Tragedy strikes!

Catastrophe! The daring, valiant elf maiden is accidentally cut down by the arrows of her own companions! (9hp damage) She falls and her life's blood begins to flow away!

Vile guttural laughter erupts from the darkness and builds into bone-chilling roars of savagery and hate!

Actions?!

Map:

Only the lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
Initiative: Good: [1d6] = 5, Evil: [1d6] = 6 Evil wins.
Arrows at Rumil: [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 15, damage: [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2 Both hit for 5hp damage total.
Arrows at Gilwennen: [1d20] = 18, [1d20] = 15, damage: [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6 One hits for 1hp damage.
Arrows at Tinuwen: [1d20] = 16, [1d20] = 13, damage: [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4 Both miss Tinuwen.
Arrows at Elbenwin: [1d20-3] = 20-3 = 17, [1d20-3] = 17-3 = 14, damage: [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 2 Both hit for a total of 8hp damage.

Gilwennen unexpectedly positioning herself between the bows of the heroes and their targets will trigger a friendly fire "missile into a melee" situation for the PCs. :(

Even though Gilwennen is point blank and the Uruks are 80 feet away, I'll say every PC arrow fired only has a 33% chance of targeting Gilwennen instead of its intended target. If yes, the existing rolls then determine if they hit her, and damage if applicable, as per the DMG.
Gilwennen's rear AC is 4. I don't have the heart to give the additional +2 to hit her from behind.
So Elbenwin's rolls are too low to hit her or the Uruks.
Rumil's rolls are too low to hit her or the Uruks.
Tinuwen holds fire until the enemies are visible.
Therone arrows friendly fire? (33%): [1d100] = 5, [1d100] = 22 Both hit Gilwennen, for a total of 9hp damage. :(

With Gilwennen cut down, she never throws the light pebble to illuminate the Uruks, and Tinuwen holds her fire. :(

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 13/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 23/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 21/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: -7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl, Light spell
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, Torch
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 2-8, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • Light (Gilwennen): Duration: 61 rounds
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by rredmond »

"If anyone has any oil, shall we light this troll on fire and get back to the passage crossings?" Naruthirdor asks the others as he sadly pockets the coins.
Do those of us at this end of the passage know that Gilwennen is down at this point?
Do we hear musical strains of that now (in)famous song "Don't you know, you never split the party! Never split the party..." lilting over to us?
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#198 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Moving back to the southern tunnel, the dwarf replies. I think we may have bitten off more than we can chew this time, dear sister. I do like Narithidor's plan, but I have no oil.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Rex »

Rumil of Mirkwood

Rumil steps forward and casts Cure Light Wounds on Gilwennen.

Cure Light Wounds Gilwennen [1d8] = 6
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by hedgeknight »

I'm confused. From the map in the post before this one, the body of the troll was near the intersection. I guess I assumed we were hunkered down behind it there, waiting for the Uruk-Hai to attack.
In your last post, it is all the way back to where we first fought it and the orcs. It doesn't make sense for us to move it in that direction. Wouldn't we have moved it toward the Uruk-Hai?

Gilly is shocked to see one of her companions fall, and when Rumil takes off after her, Gilly follows.
"C'mon brother! He's liable to need our protection!"
Winter is coming...

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”