Chapter 12: At the Marshes of Madness

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 12: At the Marshes of Madness

#21 Post by ChubbyPixie »

After Bo's recounting of their adventure so far, Telkis suggests they douse the fire, and that those with night vision take turns on watch. "Who knows what manner of thing could come lurching out of that swamp." he says.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by drpete »

Pip listens raptly to the terrifying tale. At its conclusion, he agrees that he will delay his trip to Hookhill to help the group.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo nods at Telkis again.

"Agreed! We cannot risk having light or the smell of smoke out here after dark. That would most certainly be a cause for unwanted visitors."

Happy to hear that the others have agreed to join them, and that they don't seemed possessed at all yet, Bo offers to take the first watch so that the others can get some rest. He calls his bird friend Sephus with an eerie whistle and uses his magic to speak with him. He asks all the usual questions. Are we alone out here? Are there any dangers lurking nearby? Has he seen any oddities in the terrain or with how the other animals around here are behaving that might indicate the presence of danger. He also instructs the bird to keep an overhead lookout during the night and warn whoever is on watch of any approaching doom.

Bo looks around at the group to try to figure out who needs his aid in healing the most.

Not sure on Hooms hit points after his friendly fire thrashing.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos nods

Aye I will join you, sounds as if there are dark forces in need of destruction.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur nods in agreement. As he takes his turn at the watch, he wonders how useful he could be if there were an attack during his watch. He keeps his last remaining dagger in his hand, scanning with his infravision for anything hostile.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Urdur, perhaps you and I can keep watch together when the time comes, to catch up on gnomish things," suggests Telkis, noticing the other gnome looking nervous when setting guard was mentioned, as if he weren't sure what he'd do if the party were attacked on his watch.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo uses the power of nature and The Shalm to heal some of the battered elf's wounds.

CLW [1d8] = 3

"Here you are Hoom. Now, let us all hope that we don't have to fight too much before we face any dangerous enemies. I have heard rumor that this swamp hold's all manner of vicious beasts. Lets hope we don't run into any giant shelled monsters while we are out here."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak takes his turn silently keeping watch.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Inferno »

The Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. Nightfall. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy

The strange, misty borderlands between the haunted wood and the fell marsh unsettle the soul.

The silence here is absolute. Here, no bird stirs. No rat crawls. No insect stings. No reptile slithers. To the druid and the ranger, the eerie stillness is deafening. Unnatural. Wrong.

At the crossroads of these weird hinterlands, had they unknowingly passed over into some other unearthly realm?

Darkness soon overtakes the land, slowly suffocating another of their senses.

Avril and Long Bo heal Hoom and Ingrid with divine orisons of mercy. (+3hp and +1hp respectively.) Somehow, their holy blessings seem less potent here.

The two strangers, Brevos and Pip, draw closer against the darkness and agree to join the heroes' desperate quest to oppose the sinister powers that plague Briarsgate.

The grey druid grimly relays ghastly stories of possession, murder and occult madness.

Then he speaks to his pet bird in the creepy croaking of crows. Only Bo can understand Sephus' reply: "There is no living creature out here, except us. You can feel it. Everything is wrong. Into what otherworldly sphere have we strayed? I thought Briarsgate was bad. Let's go back!"

The heroes take turn standing guard. Sephus also watches over the heroes as they dream disconcerting nightmares that are forgotten upon awakening, dissipating like a sickly mist at dawn.

Surprisingly, the night passes without incident.

A blemish of grey infects the eastern sky and slowly spreads.

Dawn comes, devoid of birdsong.

The heroes have survived another night. But the nightmare continues.

Actions? And everyone please roll vs. Healing Rates. Casters, your spell 'slots' are restored. So is Pelias' healing powers.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 2/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 27/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 14/15, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 25/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 10/16, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 8/12, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 16/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 22/30, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 12/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 25/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 5/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by wolfpack »

let me know the destination of where we travel and I will take point. I am keen at scouting terrain and looking for any possible sign of recent movement.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#31 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

After waking in the morning, Ingrid spends time requesting more spells. Apparently, Tritherion does not find fault with her as he sees fit to grant her request for magic this day. When finished, she will use one of her healing spells on Pelias.

Ingrid has a Con of 10, so she automatically gets 1 hp back, and that's it so no roll. Also, I didn't roll for CLW, because it appears that the healing isn't as effective as normal so if you prefer to roll you may do so. If you want me to, I will.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom wakes and looks around to see if anyone has any food to eat or a waterskin to share.
healing [1d100] = 5
Heal two points :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak offers Hoom his waterskin and some of his rations. "Sorry I crumpled you," he says.

"We should get moving."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom takes the waterskin. "Thanks. I would gotten away you know if your arms weren't so darn long. Sorry about the half-bred comment. I kind of lost it back there. My emotions of losing my only link to my family got the best of me. I only hope Mouser skill at concealing himself is as good as his ability to hide my pack. I don't know what I will do if I can't recover that key."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak nods his head slowly. "The evil in this land has infected us all."

"When our task is done, I will help you find your key," he says solemnly. "This I swear."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo calls his bird to him as soon as he wakes, rewarding him for keeping watch with fresh worms as usual. (if there are any to be had) "You may be the only animal around for miles little friend, but that still wont make us abandon our mission."

After his morning routine, Bo fills the newcomers in on the plan for the day, showing them the map for easy reference. Even in this forsaken place, the druid does not leave anything behind that might spoil nature or give away the group being here.

"Let us be off! We need to find our destination before the already dim light fades this day, if we can. I don't want to spend any more time out here in this creepy foreboding place than we have to."
Con 10 = 1 hit point recovered.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur nods, marching off with the others when everyone is ready.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis awakens from some of the best sleep he's ever gotten in his life. "It must have been the no crickets," he says, stretching. "I feel like a million gold pieces..." He hangs Cranach on his belt and takes out his bow, wondering if he'll finally get an opportunity to put it to use. He joins up in line. "Is there a clear path leading in? Let me be up front near the tracker fella. I want to be in a position to use this thing," he says waving his bow. "I used to bulls-eye swamp rats back home."
I had to say it. :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by drpete »

Pip greets the day with a routine of stretching and meditation. Before they go, he experiments with little strips of cloth, trying to figure out if rolling, wadding or folding makes the best earplug.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Telkis your restful sleep is my misfortune. A cricket is something I could use." Hoom trudges on empty handed and unencumbered. Not sure how he will be of use with only his menial sword skills to offer.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”