Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

Inferno
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9: Temple of Fear

#361 Post by rredmond »

Seeing that the girl is being helped and clothed, Mouser can't help himself and checks out the chest, to see if it's locked or trapped. "Maybe something in here will help us, or provide some idea of a way out," he whispers mainly to himself, but not even convincing himself.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias doesn't move the statue just yet. He takes Avril's sword by the blade and hands it pommel-first back to its rightful owner. "This is yours. It has served me well."

He watches the other free the woman. He concentrates upon her, trying to detect signs of evil. If he finds none, he will remove his cloak and cover her with it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak notices Pelias staring intently at the violated woman. He knows that look. "Paladins," grunts Grothnak in disgust as he tries to move the statue. "You come across a bloody, beaten, violated woman who needs our help and the first thing you think is, 'Maybe she's evil?'" He grunts again—though whether it is from disgust or the effort of moving the statue, who can know?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#364 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur sees that the others seem to have taken care of the caged woman. He addresses Bo's concerns, his voice barely above a whisper. "If the crowd is hostile, my magic may be able to help us. If not, then we are in no danger. Either way, I think we should wait here and hope they do not know of this room." With that, Urdur helps Grothnak push the statue. If they are able to move it in front of the door, Urdur helps Telkis look for additional secret or concealed doors.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#365 Post by ToniXX »

AleBelly wrote:Pelias doesn't move the statue just yet. He takes Avril's sword by the blade and hands it pommel-first back to its rightful owner. "This is yours. It has served me well."
Avril takes the sword and says Thank you kindly. I'm pleased that someone was able to use it while I was, uhhh, indisposed

She holds the sword, waving it around a bit, as if to remind her of how well it feels in her hand.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

"Is he dead?"

Bo and Grothnak answer the young woman's question and another wave of tears overtakes her and she wails in abject sorrow and relief.
"Shhhh... quiet dear," soothes Telkis as he walks the room's perimeter desperately searching for any way out of this dead end.

Ingrid tenderly helps a silk dress over the weeping girl's head and the heinous, bloodclotted glyphs inscribed in her naked flesh are concealed, including the words, "Dark Mother ~ Dark Mother ~ Dark Mother."
"Th..thank you," she says, catching her breath. "...I mean it... You've saved my life, kind sirs and ladies. You don't know! He... he would have killed me..."

The Mouser can't help but examine the brass bound wooden chest. Its padlock hangs open on the latch. The little thief softly probes with knowing, expert fingers but finds no traps lurking to snare him.

Hoom asks what lies above them. "...The bell tower..." the girl replies distantly, drinking Ingrid's proffered water, eyes transfixed on the horrific statue of the Thing.

Pelias returns Avril's sword and the elven maiden tests it, and her sword arm, on the air. The paladin of Hookhill concentrates upon the freed young woman. His holy sight grants no premonitions of great evil upon her, and Pelias gently drapes her in his cloak.

"Paladins!" Grothnak grunts as he, Telkis and Urdur try to move the jade masterpiece of the blasphemous atrocity. It doesn't budge.

Bo says to the freed woman, "Speak quickly child! Do you know of any exits out of this place or other secrets that we can utilize?"
In reply, the girl can only point a quavering finger at the sculpture of the looming horror.

No. Wait.
She's pointing behind it. Near its base. There, Telkis and Urdur find a hidden trap door set into the marble floor (S).

The distant baying of hounds is joined by the sound of an ax chopping a wooden door asunder. It comes from the northwest (11), in the direction of the blood soaked remains of Moogeye Comcra.

Actions?!

Map:
White initials indicate the PCs and the woman (W). All others are where the PCs saw them last.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by rredmond »

"Axes," Mouser whispers agitated, and almost to himself. "But no traps," he murmurs happily, definitely to himself, but out loud in the excitement. He moves the chest so it faces the wall, and stands behind it to lift the lid. If nothing splats, clatters, clinks or booms on the wall, he checks to see if anything useful is inside.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Have you seen anyone go down there recently, miss?" asks Telkis, as gently and unthreateningly as is possible for a scarred, metal-toothed Gnome. "Is there a trick to open it? Or a trap of some kind we'll need to circumvent?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#370 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo assists with the shiny toothed gnomes questioning in his own deep baritone.

"Yes, yes dearie. Have you been through the door yourself? Do you know where it leads to?"

"We will save you, and we can also heal you, just not right now. As you can see, most of us are also very badly injured. But if we can escape this place, and get somewhere safe, we could all yet survive this horror!"

The druid pauses and stares at the floor, thinking about the fallen nun.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by Mant72 »

Anxious to depart this temple of the damned, Ingrid continues to console the girl, "Your nightmare has ended. You are safe now, but we must be away. Is there anything you can tell us that might expedite our escape?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#372 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

The action of Mouser has not escaped his eyes. Hoom silently moves behind Mouser and whispers into his ear.
"Find anything of value, brother?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#373 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur wonders to himself whether the mob is chopping down doors to come rescue this poor woman, or to finish the fight that the cultists started. Probably the latter, he thinks. Perhaps the trap door leads to an escape route. Perhaps the mob is friendly after all. Perhaps he can use his magic to persuade the mob to disperse.

Or perhaps the plague rats were right, and we will all die in this horrific place.

He waits for the woman to respond to the others' questions. He wishes Mittens were still here.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias can not bear the foul symbols scrawled everywhere. He looks about for some large swatch of fabric. If he can find none, he tears some from what he's wearing, dousing it in his waterskin, and begins to scrub them away from the wall. He listens to the conversation.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by Inferno »

The Church of Merikka (21)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Midnight. Saturday, October 22nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Devout Pelias labors to eradicate blasphemy from this defiled temple.

His noble efforts are as a teardrop in the ocean.

With Hoom watching over his shoulder and whispering in his ear, the Mouser artfully, methodically opens the unlocked chest.

There is nothing inside.

"They... emptied it a few days ago," the girl trembles. "... All wealth in Briarsgate goes south... For the Dark Mother..."

Then from somewhere deep within the church of fear comes the baying of hounds and the shouting of angry men. They are closing in. From the sound of it, they've reached the torture chamber (14).

"Someone's coming!" cries the young woman in terror. "We must away!"

Telkis asks, "Have you seen anyone go down there recently, miss?" indicating the trapdoor.

She quavers, "No... He... told me about it..."

"Is there a trick to open it? Or a trap of some kind we'll need to circumvent?" says Telkis.

"I don't know... But we are in danger! We-"

"Have you been through the door yourself?" Long Bo asks.

The girl shivers uncontrollably, "No. Please! We must go! Now. They are coming!"

"Do you know where it leads to?" says Long Bo.

"No. Downstairs? Please listen to me! You don't know what they're capable of!"

Ingrid asks, "Is there anything you can tell us that might expedite our escape?"

"I... No... I couldn't escape... I tried..." she says before breaking down again, crying out in fear and anguish. "Please! Let's go right now. I beg of you! Don't let them take me!"
She suddenly bolts toward the trap door crying, "If they find us, you'll become one of them!"

Actions?!

Map:
White initials indicate the PCs and the woman (W). All others are where the PCs saw them last.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Zhym »

"A scared near-naked woman has more sense than all of you," says Grothnak, opening the trap door. He quickly weighs whether greater valor and honor lies in leading the way into the unknown or guarding the group's retreat. The greatest threat is from behind, he decides. "Down. Now," he barks, holding Vadok at the ready and watching the door. When everyone else has safely made it into the trap door, he follows and closes it behind him.
Last edited by Zhym on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#377 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom races to be the next down the hole. He isn't going to be taken captive again.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by rredmond »

"Empty! Rhaich!!" Mouser exclaims quietly to himself. Quickly gathering his wits, he quickly goes over to the girl,
"Thank you for the information. What's your name?" he asks as gently as he thwarted anger will allow him, "we'll get you out of here safe, I promise." Smiling he offers his hand to help her down into the trap door. If there's a ladder, Mouser precedes her down, so as to help her. He's going to be as encouraging as possible, all the while getting her to move quietly and quickly - quick he's pretty certain she'll be, but he's trying to be calming so that she won't give them away accidentally.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#379 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo fights his urge to go investigate the last unopened door, his fear taking over his curiosity. He would stay with Grothnak, hoping to at least control the mob's hounds, but his health has almost forsaken him already.

He plunges into the hidden hole behind those already inside and climbs down as fast as he can.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by AleBelly »

The troubled look leaves Pelias' face and is replaced by grim determination.

"Those following us will see our exit. This does not help us." He pauses briefly. "I am nearly spent. I am of little use to you down there. I shall replace this foul statue upon the door in the floor. At worst I buy you some time to make your escape. At best, I will meet you at the barn, and we may rejoice in our victory."

He looses the straps on his shield and hands it to Telkis. The sign of Heironeus glints in the light. "You may need this to face whatever lies below. I cannot allow this to fall into the hands of such foul wretches. It shall offer you some added protection."

He removes the gold ring from his finger. He hands it to Grothnak, its lightning bolt catching the torchlight. "You are a brave and noble soul. If this is our last parting upon this earth, take this as a token of our friendship."

He looks to the party. "I ask you for oil you can spare and two or three torches. I will await the mob outside this room, and will burn the floor to confound the dogs' tracking. I place my fate in the hands of Heironeus. I will follow you if I can dissuade the mob. Now go!"

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”