Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Inferno
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

#161 Post by AleBelly »

As Bo approaches with his lantern, Pelias takes the time to look around the room they are in, searching for any items that might provide clues as to the nature of this evil.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Inferno »

Day Six.
The Abandoned Foaming Mug Inn
(16)
Between 8pm and 9pm. Friday, October 21st, 576 CY
Full moon, cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Within the shadowy vaults beneath the abandoned Foaming Mug Inn, an eerie silence descends. The war of souls is over. No longer are the heroes besieged by psychic emanations from evil, inhuman minds wielding lore forbidden to Men for thousands of years.

"Ingrid!" says Grothnak. "Call out if you can hear us!"
"She can't be far!" cries Telkis, even as others begin to realize Ingrid may be well beyond the aid of the living.

Avril and Moogeye glance at the dead, disgusting, ghastly fiends, each different from the other, and their flesh crawls anew. Nameless entities spawned in black hells below, their dead reptile eyes stare glassily to oblivion.

The two women join the desperate hunt for Ingrid.
Mouser retreats, on guard for another attack. (Please Save vs Poison at +2 for holding breath.)
Long Bo the druid beseeches his lord to heal Telkis. (+1 hp)

The heroes cautiously search the dark, decrepit basement, making as little noise as possible. Tentative whispers, the soft creak of leather, and the clink of steel are the only sound. They are as phantoms haunting this shadow realm. Silence reigns over the labyrinthine cellar, but it is a silence impregnated with menace. Peril crouches in every corner, leers invisibly from every wall. More of the loathsome abominations could be anywhere.

Deep within the dank, brick warren, they find a chilling sight: three more iron cages.

Forged of the same crude manufacture as those beneath the Golden Grain Inn, they are empty except for the blood and fingernails of helpless captives that had desperately, fruitlessly tried to claw their way to freedom.

Then they find her.

Ingrid's body is bloody and lifeless on an old, disused servant's bed.
Ingrid.jpg
Ingrid.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 849 times
She is deathly still.

But she yet lives. The insidious serpent men had wanted her taken alive, for a fate worse than death, the same fate of Bertram Beswill and other villagers: a life of enslavement and servitude to their monstrous god, a dark fate that still stalks all the investigators of Briarsgate.

By the light of Bo's lantern, Pelias searches the deserted servant quarters and finds nothing unusual beyond the corpses of the reptilian horrors. Their cruel jagged spears are of an alien design none had ever before seen. They each carry a serpentine sacrificial dagger.

On one of the heinous demons (R7), Pelias discovers a small carved stone icon of the sacrilegious atrocity from the secret shrine...
the ghastly abomination.jpg
the ghastly abomination.jpg (154.28 KiB) Viewed 849 times
...and a modest necklace he recognizes as having been worn by Felicity Gade.

The young paladin sees it is engraved, "My dearest darling, All my love, Killian"

Actions?

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Zhym »

On seeing Felicity's necklace, storm clouds cross Grothnak's gray-green face. "The skraefa snagadug behind this will pay," he growls quietly. "I swear by all the armies of Acheron, justice will be done." He spits on a dead monster's corpse to make his point.

He turns on a heel and brings Vadok to his side as if at attention. "Let us finish our search and move on," he says.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by dmw71 »

"Agreed," Avril responds at Grothnak's proclamation of continuing on. "But we first must nurse Ingrid back to health, no?" she states. "Or at least consciousness."

The elven maiden moves to the side of the bed supporting her unmoving companion and, while out of divine healing, she attempts to inspect Ingrid for any signs of physical wounds and nurse and bandage her visible ailments.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

"Of course," replies Grothnak.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#166 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Pleased to find the fair Ingrid alive, Bo turns his attention to the monsters. He pokes around at each dead snakeman, studying each of them closely.

This is very strange to me.

He gets right up close to the faces of the monsters.

Fascinating! I have never seen anything like this before in my long life! It's unnatural I say!

He continues rambling, looking back and forth between the creatures.

Each of them unique. Like us!

You see, in nature, creatures all look pretty much the same. An eagle looks like all the other eagles. Same goes for animals and reptiles. When you see a certain species of snake or lizard, they look pretty much the same as every other one you've ever seen.

But not these creatures! They all look different from each other. Distinctly different! With differing facial features! It is as if they are not a specific species but an entirely new RACE!!!

How could this happen?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

Gray watches and sees the immediate danger has passed. He rips, wets and wraps a piece of cloak about his mouth and nose to help against the stench and joins the others.

The thief looks at the daggers. There's been precious little treasure in this town. Those prickers look like they may fetch some gold. He gathers them up.

Save vs. Poison (13) [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Thanks for the healing, my friend," says Telkis to Long Bo holding up and inspecting his left pinky, which does indeed seem much better.
;)
"Do you by chance have one of those for poor Ingrid? She doesn't look so good." He sets about cleaning the black blood from his morningstar with a piece of the bed linen while looking about the room for any signs of hidden doors and the like. "I'm guessing these creatures have some sort of extensive underground complex," he says. "And something tells me the way into it is somewhere near. Or maybe through that temple."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias holds back tears when he sees evidence of Felicity's abduction. "I failed you" he says, haltingly.

He prays, gathering himself. Then he stands over the daggers, concentrating to see if they possess evil of their own. If they do not, he takes the most ornate one and places it in his pack.

Then he addresses the others in a slow, monotonous tone.
"When we leave, we drag the lizard corpses out. Let the townsfolk see their true enemy."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Hearing the grateful gnome mention that Ingrid has still not been healed, the druid returns to her side.

I don't know if this will work again, but I am willing to give it another shot. If The Shalm has blessed me with the ability to do so before, why would he not do it a second time?

Bo pulls out the necessary herbs and spices for his natural healing remedy. He has no spells left for such a casting, but is willing to give up a few of his lesser spells in order to get one of the group back on her feet. CLW [1d8] = 5

Rise my dear. Tell us how you feel.
Too bad those results weren't switched, eh Chub? :D

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Inferno »

Day Six.
The Abandoned Foaming Mug Inn
(16)
Between 8pm and 9pm. Friday, October 21st, 576 CY
Full moon, cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Pelias Blanchflower holds back tears at the sight of Felicity's necklace. After regaining his composure, the paladin of Heironeus concentrates and senses no evil emanating from the insidious knives of her abductors.

Avril bandages the wounds of valiant, fallen Ingrid as Long Bo heals the unconscious priestess with divine orisons (+5 hp). Ingrid awakens from a horrific nightmare of ancient, sinister, inhuman races that ruled the Oerth long before the dawn of Man, worshiping indescribable gods from beyond the cold, distant stars. Had Khorst Maltess and Henri Kold once told her of these horrors? She cannot remember.

With trepidation, the unsung heroes of Briarsgate set out to secure the dark, catacomb-like chambers of the cellar.

They find no one, nor any secret doors. The footprint Bo noticed earlier seems to indicate the invisible reptilians may enter the abandoned inn from the hidden, ruinous maw in its collapsed back wall.

Careful to keep their lantern light focused and low, the heroes cautiously move upstairs to search the rest of the sprawling ruins of the once-grand hotel.

It takes hours of quiet, vigilant work.

Their enemies can lurk unseen. They could be anywhere.

At times, it feels as if they are being watched.

The stairs groan like souls condemned to Hell.
Upstairs.png
Upstairs.png (350.99 KiB) Viewed 793 times
The inn is a forlorn ghost of its former life; a forsaken and forgotten shadow of a home that once knew happiness and prosperity in days long ago. Like Briarsgate itself.

On the ground level, dried bloodstains varnish the common room floor, no doubt from the deadly battle that the Gades described:
  • “The old Foaming Mug Inn. A dozen townsfolk were found murdered there one morning, including the proprietor. A sword fight. But no one ever discovered the reason. Those people were friends and neighbors! The building’s been abandoned ever since. A year now, I reckon.”
Upstairs, the vile stench is weaker. In a desk, Avril finds papers identifying the proprietors as Efram and Faith Whitaker. In the master bedroom, the Mouser discovers Faith Whitaker's diary. As the others continue the search, the little thief pages through it and reads several passages of interest aloud, all from 12-13 months ago, scattered across a few weeks:
    • "Dear Diary, I fear I am in the grip of an evil spirit. It is as if my very soul is haunted. I am plagued by apprehension, possessed by a nameless dread. Something is happening to me. Or else, to the entire world around me..."

"Efram tells me it's all in my head. I don't know which would be worse: stark raving dementia, or that this terror is all real..."

"Friends I have known all my life now watch me closely when they don't think I see them. They must be able to tell that I am going mad..."

"Sometimes I feel as if I cannot tell where this delirium dream leaves off and true memory begins..."

"I know this much is real: The Hochstedt family, our dear friends and neighbors, suddenly disappeared without warning today. Their house stands empty! In the name of blessed Merikka, what has become of them?!..."
    The final entry reads:
    • "After four agonizing days, the Hochstedt family has inexplicably returned! Except for their husband and father! Goodwife Hochstedt has no explanation! I confronted her today and I'm sure she thought me quite deranged. But now I know I am not. I know it! As does my dear Efram."

It echoes what Felicity Gade had told them about the Hochstedts:
  • "The widow Hochstedt’s spread. Her husband also disappeared this year. After 24 years of marriage. She’ll not speak of it. Nor will her three grown sons who live with her."
After hours of tense, careful exploration the search is complete. No secret passages are discovered. They find the immense inn to be empty of life, human or otherwise.

Midnight draws near.

Actions?

Area Map:
SE Briarsgate Map 6.jpg
SE Briarsgate Map 6.jpg (241.04 KiB) Viewed 793 times
16 is the abandoned Foaming Mug Inn
18 is the Widow Hochstedt's spread
19 is the Gade Family Farm
17 is the abandoned farmhouse of the barn that burned down while you were inside it
21, due north of this map, is the Church of Merikka[/ooc]

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by AleBelly »

Thanks. Pelias collects the "fanciest" dagger.

Exhausted after the hours of exploring under taxing circumstances, Pelias speaks to the party.

"If Mrs. Whitaker doubted herself within this town, doubtless others do too. I say we give them hope. Who will help me drag the lizard man bodies out into the open? We place their spears through their throats for all to see. Perhaps this provacative act will flush out our enemies. I grow tired of not knowing who to trust..."

His eyelids are heavy. "But first, rest. We have not yet been discovered here. A rest will do us no harm. We drag the bodies out at dawn and leave. But where? To find Hoom, I hope. What say ye?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Zhym »

"We don't need the bodies," rumbles Grothnak. "Just the heads. I think we take one to that hermit. See if he feels more like talking now."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias nods in agreement. "Let's put them all on the lawn of this place."

He voice shakes mildly. Is it hope or fear? "Do you think we will find Felicity safe again?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak shakes his head sadly at the paladin. "No one is safe until the evil behind this is defeated," he says. "I dread that she is alive but not in control of her own mind."

He sighs heavily and begins removing lizard-monster heads from their bodies.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by hedgeknight »

Avril bandages the wounds of valiant, fallen Ingrid as Long Bo heals the unconscious priestess with divine orisons (+5 hp). Ingrid awakens from a horrific nightmare of ancient, sinister, inhuman races that ruled the Oerth long before the dawn of Man, worshiping indescribable gods from beyond the cold, distant stars. Had Khorst Maltess and Henri Kold once told her of these horrors? She cannot remember.
With a gasp, Ingrid bolts upright and looks around, eyes wide with fear and unfamiliarity. It takes her a few seconds to recognize the faces of her comrades. She smiles weakly and places her hands over her face as the horrific images in her dreams attempt to rise up before her.
"Does anyone..." she swallows hard "...have some water? My throat is as dry as a bone."

After Ingrid "finds" her legs again, she follows the others as they search the abandoned inn. Still weak and sore from the beatings, her strength is returning little by little. When Pelias calls for a rest, she is grateful...until Grothnak begins removing the heads of the slain lizardfolk. She turns away and then asks, "Where are my things?"
She immediately looks at her left thumb...to make sure the signet ring is still there...

Does she have her armor on? Weapons? Personal belongings?
Winter is coming...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Let me help you with that, fellows," says Telkis. He removes one of his daggers and gets to work removing one of the heads. He wants to be of use, but his actions are perfunctory - his heart's not really in it. "I'm all for visiting the hermit again if that's the party's wish. Will he be able to help us? These Hochstrechts may be worth investigating as well. But I think our priority should be to rescue Hoom."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#178 Post by dmw71 »

While she doesn't object to it, Avril makes no move to assist in the beheading process. "But it's late, and we should rest," she says, agreeing with Pelias. "We've looked in every nook and cranny in this place, so it should be safe for a night, no?"

"But we should definitely set up a watch schedule,"
she adds, indicating her willingness to serve on the first shift.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"I agree with trying the Hochstrechts, and finding Hoom," says Grey.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo does not take part in the ghastly beheadings. He is tempted to go show the hermit the lizard heads immediately, but knows the danger of going out alone.

The Hermit might be willing to help us after seeing these. He may have news of the Hochstrechts, or maybe even Hoom. I say we start there.

He looks around for a spot to rest and awaits his watch assignment.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”