Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#221 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"We should get out of sight!" Telkis whispers. He'll crouch (for an extremely low profile :) ) and run a few dozen feet to get behind a tree to the northwest of the hovel, overlooking the path. He readies his bow.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#222 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid will apologize to Hoom for breaking his magic later...

The hermit hasn't revealed any information as of the nature of this evil. But at least he named their strongholds - two they already knew, and one they suspected - the holy church of Merikka! Ingrid, strangely, doesn't feel any more upset for the sanctuary than for the inn: she is a cleric all right, but also an adventurer and traveler, and she knows the price of a good tavern!

Ingrid wonders: just what part did the hermit play in the massacre at the Foaming Mug? Is it possible that this old man is more than he appears? Judging from his words, he tried to act against the spreading evil. Maybe he was the leader and organizer of a mob of fighters?

Unfortunately, Avril's warning comes. The lady has only been with them only a short time, but has already proven her worth.

"Thank you for trusting us," she says quickly to the hermit. "We will be back soon," she adds, and follows Telkis, trying to move unnoticed.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak scoffs at the notion of hiding. He is Uruk-Hai! He does not hide!

Besides, he reckons it unlikely that this group that was carrying on a spirited conversation only a moment ago was not already detected. Perhaps if he remains in view, whoever approaches might underestimate the party's true numbers.

He stands in the middle of the path, Vadok in hand. "Who goes there?" he cries out in challenge. "Step forward and identify yourself!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Grognardsw »

Outside, Grey Mouser spies the approaching form. The thief stays in the shadows and positions himself for a backstab should it come to that.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Priestess of Trithereon never interrupt me again! I am not part of your flock! You are not my keeper, human!" Hoom shouts at Ingrid.
He stands still wiping his face of his wasted spell components paying no attention to the approaching figure or the scattering of the party.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#226 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Keep your mouth shut and your witchery in your pocket, unless you want to **** up everything!" Ingrid hisses back, and leaves Hoom standing there with Grothnak, the brave.
G A M E S :

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#227 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Listening carefully to the older mans words, Bo's eyes widen in surprise. The tall druid wishes he would have chosen his own words a bit more carefully as he told of the party's exploits inside the tavern.

He thinks to himself as he stands directly behind Grothnak, using the larger Orc as a shield while the many thoughts swirl in his head. He ponders the words that the hermit has just said as the lone figure approaches....

Bo's life of solitude and neutrality has taught him how to read between the lines of most uncomfortable dialogue.....

Is it possible that we have been set up from the moment we ever stepped foot into this accursed place? There are some discrepancies to what the group has been told so far. Things are not adding up.

Is it possible that the Gades were actually not what they initially seemed? Could they simply be another plant in this town to misguide us from discovering the truth? Bertram also possessed a silver tongue and got some of us to believe his story. Why should we feel any differently about the young couple?

Of course Bo could not express these thoughts to the others yet, especially to the paladin or halforc. It would be too difficult for their lawful mentality to comprehend.

The Druid looks back to the hermit and whispers.

You called out for the Magistrate on our arrival. And then told your wolf friend here that "it isn't them". Are you expecting he or a group of people to visit you here this evening? Is that lone figure headed this way he?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#228 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Do you pray to your god with that mouth." Hoom barks back.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by AleBelly »

"Are you expecting an enemy? If so, I stand beside you" says Pelias earnestly. He readies his shield and sword, standing beside the old hermit and ready to step in front and fight on his behalf.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Between 9 and 10pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Village of Briarsgate, the Hovel of the Hermit
(27*)
Damp, cold, misty.

Suddenly Avril whispers, "Someone's coming!"

"RAUGH! RAUGH!" the wolf barks.

Mouser tries to blend into the shadows. Hoom and Ingrid fall to arguing.
Telkis and Ingrid race to the darkness of the trees behind the shack. The rest stand their ground.

Long Bo whispers to the aged man, "You called out for the Magistrate on our arrival. And then told your wolf friend here that "it isn't them." Are you expecting he or a group of people to visit you here this evening? Is that lone figure headed this way he?"

"I am a hermit! At this hour, only the Law comes to harass me," rasps the old man bitterly.

Pelias says, "Are you expecting an enemy? If so, I stand beside you."

"I don't know if the constables are counted among the enemy. But, in case they are, we shouldn't be seen together! Away from here! All of you! My wolf will protect me," the hermit whispers urgently. He looks at the proud half-orc and elf, and pleads, "Go. Please?!"

A shadowy apparition begins to slowly materialize in the moonlit mist, 40 feet away. It is not carrying a lantern, nor does it return Grothnak's call.

The mysterious figure comes from the direction opposite that of the adventurers' approach to the hermit's shack. The heroes' silhouettes are masked by the shape of the hovel and the trees behind it. It's not too late yet to hide or flee. But it soon will be.

Actions?!

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#231 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom finished verbally sparing with Ingrid runs into the trees to the north for a dark place to hide.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#232 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid stands still, hopefully hidden by the shack and the trees. She readies her mace and shield.
G A M E S :

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak glances quickly between the hermit and the approaching figure. With a silent nod, he shoulders Vadok, readies his bow, and takes a concealed position in the woods where he can watch and listen.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser slinks closer, from tree to tree, to hopefully gain better view of the figure.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by AleBelly »

Inferno wrote: Pelias says, "Are you expecting an enemy? If so, I stand beside you."

"I don't know if the constables are counted among the enemy. But, in case they are, we shouldn't be seen together! Away from here! All of you! My wolf will protect me,"
"Very well" whispers Pelias hoarsely. "But we will be in those trees. Call for my aid and you will have it at once. May Heironeus be with you."

With that, he heads to a patch of cover that is a close as possible to the hermit's abode but will allow the paladin to remain hidden.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#236 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo follows the others into hiding, not sure if it's the right move or not.

He furrows his thick grey brow about it but says nothing.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis remains hidden, bow ready, covering the mysterious figure. The fact that the apparition carries no light source is somewhat worrying, until it occurs to him that he himself wouldn't particularly need one in the same circumstances. He waits patiently, listening, ready to act...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Between 9 and 10pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Village of Briarsgate, the Hovel of the Hermit
(27*)
Damp, cold, misty.

In a dark and eerie grove on the edge of Briarsgate village, the adventurers confront a strange old hermit and his pet wolf.

The hermit's aged face is twisted in torment, suspicion and agony. "Now that I've revealed my hand... Are you with them?!
"If you are, know that I am your enemy: I know you're real, and I stand against you!"
he proclaims with anguish, anger and defiance, fully expecting these words to be his last.

Suddenly Avril whispers, "Someone's coming!"
A shadowy apparition begins to slowly materialize in the moonlit mist.

"RAUGH! RAUGH!" the wolf barks.

After a few quick words, the adventurers flee into the shadowy pitch beyond the treeline, to hide and watch.

The old hermit strokes the wolf's neck to calm her down.

The ghostly apparition manifests physical form and emerges wordless and unlit, perhaps to learn what the full moon will reveal before he makes himself known. It might have worked, had the party not had a demihuman on watch.

As he closes, the unknown figure ignites a torch, showing his identity,...

...Chief Constable Donavan Allard, (pronounced ah-LARD) a quiet, sullen warrior in plate mail whom Bo encountered yesterday at the Constable's Quarters (2*). Everyone recognizes him from the druid's description, and recalls his fearsome reputation from the Gades' words:
    • DM wrote:(The constables are) “All stern men and resolute. We know not their involvement in the troubles of Briarsgate.
      Chief Constable Donavan Allard is a hero from the Goblin years, a dangerous, fell-handed warrior. Briarsgate owes him much."
      -Felicity and Killian Gade
"What's all the racket?!" Allard demands, torch in one hand and great helm in the other.

"Good evening, Chief Constable," the old mendicant croaks, loud enough for the adventurers to hear.

"Are you drunk again?! Who were you yelling at?" Allard growls loudly.

"No. I’m sorry. A… a bear came into camp. We had to run it off,” the old hermit says, pointing a gnarled finger at a direction in which the adventurers weren't hiding.

Chief Constable Allard holds his torch aloft and peers in the direction indicated, and then all around. Slowly. Carefully.

The wolf looks directly at Hoom and licks her lips.

Finally, Allard grunts, “Are you all right, old man? Any more... episodes?"

The hermit looks down and mumbles, "No... no... I'm better now."

Allard peers around again. “Good. Keep it that way."
The lawman begins to leave, and then he stops and turns back. "Oh. One more thing...
"We’re telling all the villagers. So we might as well tell you:
"The Gade family. The hog farmers on the east side. They’re missing. A family of four. Their home was broken into last night. The wife was last seen near strangers, yesterday, in town. A half-orc, a dwarf, and a man. All warriors..."

"...What?...” says the old hermit.

Allard continues, "...We’re telling the villagers to watch out for them. Perhaps they’re responsible for the troubles. Anything you can tell us will help."

"I…" rasps the hermit.

"Have you seen these men?"

"...I…"

"What’s wrong?" asks Allard.

The hermits lowers his voice, "No. No! I haven’t... The only demi-men I know of are those two elves in the cottage near the Mayor."

"Keep an eye out. Tell us if you see anything," Allard says gruffly. Then he turns to go.

The hermit replies, "Yes. Yes, I will.... Good night."

Chief Constable Allard leaves the way he came. He passes beyond sight of the adventurers, while the old hermit hobbles into the shack with his wolf, and slams the door shut.

Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will remain where he is, flattered to be mistaken for a Dwarf - it must be the biceps, he thinks - and keep an eye on the path in case Donovan returns. He'll let the others continue doing the talking with the hermit.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#240 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Is there the slightest possibility of this Constable being untainted? That he is in some sort of splendid ignorance, thinking that adventurers are causing all the trouble? I somewhat doubt it. I think he is playing mind games with the hermit. By the way, the hermit I trust, the old man is genuine... but weird. And he still doesn't trust us completely. Even though he was reluctant to tell the constable about us.
We must proceed with caution. The wolf might alert the villagers or the constable of our presence."

"Besides, I suspect the constable might have not left. He can be still around, watching."

Does the shack have any windows, back doors, entrance points not visible from the road?
G A M E S :

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”