Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Forsaken Village

#21 Post by Inferno »

Dead toad thing is great!
Fulci wrote: "I'm going to the inn to see if they have lodgings available... and to catch up on the local rumors. Anybody with me? Afterwards I plan to pay a visit to the church."
Better make it quick at the inn then. Ingrid knows that many of these small town churches close their doors at sunset, and the days are short in Autumn.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by Fulci »

Inferno wrote:
Fulci wrote:"I'm going to the inn to see if they have lodgings available... and to catch up on the local rumors. Anybody with me? Afterwards I plan to pay a visit to the church."
Better make it quick at the inn then. Ingrid knows that many of these small town churches close their doors at sunset, and the days are short in Autumn.[/ooc]
The sun is lower and lower, so Ingrid changes her mind. The inn will surely be open after sunset, so she sets out towards the church in the distance, over the lake. She turns to Vodarte.
"Let's check out the church first. Are you going?"

If Vodarte has other plans, she asks the rest of the team. Even if they split up, they should be in teams of two at least.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-orc Warrior

"It would be tactically unwise to divide our forces before we know what threats we face," announces the half-orc warrior. "I still advise a reconnaisance trip around the village, but I will not do so if it means splitting the party."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid is ready to post-pone the visit to the church to keep the group together.

"But then I still propose going to the inn first and establishing our image of weary travelers. A 'reconnaissance trip' might arouse suspicion."
G A M E S :

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-orc Warrior

"A little suspicion is better than lack of information," counters Grothnak. "The wise warrior surveys the battlefield before engaging."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I think you all have been duped by the rumors of this place. Sure the local folk look weary of newcomers but look at the lot of us. I'd be scared too if a large armed group strolled into my village such as us. I thank you all for your company on this journey, for without you I would have been unable to make this trip. But if you would please excuse me I have business to conduct. Perhaps when your business in this village is also complete we can travel again."

Hoom walks off to the Moneychanger dwelling.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias takes a position near the busiest crossroads in town and addresses the folk, speaking loudly to nobody in particular. "Citizens of Briarsgate! We feel privileged to walk your streets and have the company of you fine people! I understand your wariness of us - we are an odd collection of beings to be sure, and we appear to have come to you from an inhospitable wood! Alas, we fought evil in that wood just the previous day, and I pledge to you that if you be of good nature, we are your friends. Might there be somebody of authority we can speak to, my dear fellows?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks confused at the sudden scattering of the party.

I would agree that it is good practice to stay in small groups if we are to split the party.

I was simply going to see if the constable is in.

If Vodarte wants to accompany Ingrid, then Bo will be glad to belay his action and check out the rest of the town with Grothnak.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

Approaching Briarsgate, Mouser spies the cemetery. He walks through it, paralleling the road, and looks to see if there are an unusual amount of new graves.

The village is smaller than the rogue expected. No thieves guild here to approach. Mouser follows along with his compatriots for a time. He winces at the paladin's bold proclamation. A bit too public for Mouser's taste. But in a village this small, the thief supposes, it won't be possible to maintain secrecy.

Mouser departs for the tavern.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Warrior

Grothnak rolls his eyes and shakes his head slightly at the paladin's bold announcement. He waits to see if there is any response.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo sees the group scatter as soon as they enter the town, some of them completely ignoring the buddy system advice.

He also cringes a bit at the paladins announcement but, realizes that, it is their way.

He pokes his head into the open door of the constables office as he initially intended.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by Mister-Kent »

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger

Vodarte stays close by Ingrid's side, intending to follow her anywhere. "We should reconvene at a set time," he suggests to the group before they get too far. "Perhaps here at the crossroads, and we will share our findings..."
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Late afternoon. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

The Grey Mouser notices no new graves in the Cemetery (west of 4).

Upon reaching the first crossroads in the village of Briarsgate, your group begins to make plans and then abruptly disbands, heading in five directions at once!

Long Bo the Druid looks into the open door of the stone, spartan Constable's Quarters (2).

"Can we help you, old man?" asks the tallest of three men inside, not unkindly. They had been talking softly among themselves but stopped at the Druid's appearance.
"How do you do? I am Magistrate Ruskadel," continues the tall man in banded mail with sharply intelligent eyes:

"This is Chief Constable Donavan Allard," he says, introducing a sullen warrior in plate mail:

"And Constable Hulbar Onfre," he says, indicating a pale, blotchy, older man in banded armor:

Both men make some more or less appropriate greeting.
All three wear long swords.

The Magistrate asks, "You are a stranger here, are you not?"
"What brings you to our little town? And, pray tell, how might we be of service?" he asks politely, his mouth smiling beneath those piercing, observant eyes that seemed always to be watching.

Telkis the Gnome goes looking for a mole, in two senses of the word. Turning west, he sees the other side of the briar wall, for which the village is named, abloom with blood red roses.

He tramps out into the middle of the Pasture (west of 1), sending sheep scattering, and taps the edge of the molehill.

“What the?!” he hears from within, in Molish. “I’ll be. It’s a Gnome! Wait here. I’ll handle this!”
Then a mole pops up. “I’m called Thompkins. What do you want, knocking on my house like that?!”

Telkis politely asks after its health, and the quality of the grubs and worms in the area. Then after the requisite formalities, he asks if it's noticed any unusual vibrations from the big folk lately, or any other unusual occurrences. As the gnome makes his inquiries, the venerable, 4-year-old grandfather mole scrutinizes him with a skeptical squint and scowl.

When Telkis finishes talking, the crotchety old mole says, “Listen, Sonny! It’s true I’ve been here a while. But I make it my job to avoid the big folk! And I never venture beyond this meadow! But with that said, even we can tell that over the past year, things have changed. Something’s different. The Farmer isn’t the same. I can see it in his eye. But I don’t know what it is.
"Criminy! Now you’ve gone and done it. Here he comes!”

Thompkins jumps back down his hole and Telkis sees a farmer approaching, with his three grown sons and a dog. They have pitchforks and other deadly farming tools, not held in a threatening way but held just the same.
“Can I help you, Mister?” calls out the old farmer from a distance of 30 feet.

Hoom Feethos bids farewell to his traveling companions and strolls to the Moneychanger (7).

He finds that the moneychanger is also the jeweler. His name is painted on the sign over the door: “F. A. Praetorius, proprietor.” Hoom recognizes the name but the small stone building is shut tight by doors and shutters of heavy wood, reinforced with iron bands.

Hoom sees that every other shoppe on this road is open for business.
Then he hears Pelias shouting...

Grothnak and Pelias stand in a Crossroad (near 6) and Pelias loudly pronounces: "Citizens of Briarsgate! We feel privileged to walk your streets and have the company of you fine people! I understand your wariness of us - we are an odd collection of beings to be sure, and we appear to have come to you from an inhospitable wood! Alas, we fought evil in that wood just the previous day, and I pledge to you that if you be of good nature, we are your friends. Might there be somebody of authority we can speak to, my dear fellows?"

The nearby townsfolk are stunned silent for a moment.

Different emotions play across the faces that stare back at the young paladin. Astonishment. Skepticism. Scorn. Disbelief. Mistrust. Derision. Fear. Anger. Hope.

They look among themselves before venturing to answer this stranger. Some walk away. Quickly.

Finally, “I expect it’s the Chief Constable you’ll be wantin’,” says a skeptical villager with a sack of oats on his back, nodding West.
“Or the Magistrate,” says a mistrusting farmer quietly.
“Or p'raps the Lord Mayor,” says a disbelieving merchant in a shop apron, jerking his thumb Eastward down the main road.

The Grey Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) just before Pelias makes his plea.

The common room of the inn is a warm, pleasant place with several barrels of ale tapped behind the bar.

But the customers, mostly farmers and locals by the looks of them, grow silent at your entrance. They turn and appraise you strangers with wary, suspicious eyes.

A gentleman approaches you. “Welcome. I’m Bertram Beswill, the innkeeper here."

"I'm afraid you’ll have to forgive us. We don’t get many strangers lately,” he smiles wistfully for a moment. Then: “Where are my manners? What can I do for you, please?”
Bertram evinced a soft-spoken sensitivity and intelligence that was more befitting a scholar than an innkeeper. Perhaps he had studied as a younger man?

At the innkeeper's welcome, the locals slowly return to their own conversations.

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger 2: AC 3, HP 20/20
The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Partial Map of Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief, at tavern

"An ale good sir," says Mouser. "I am Gray, here to investigate rumors of ill-fortune here in town. Can you help?"

The rogue discretely opens his gold-filled hand to influence friendly tongue.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by AleBelly »

"My eyes tell me some of you distrust me, or resent our presence here. May I entreat one of you skeptics to discuss matters with me privately?" asks Pelias. "We may do so at this very spot, if you wish. I will do you no harm."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks taken aback a bit at the Magistrate's reference to his age.

I'm not old. I'm 47......
And to answer your question, yes, I think you can help me Magistrate Ruskadel.

You see, I am looking for someone who was reported to have traveled this way a while back.

Bo looks long and carefully at the three men before continuing.

I'm sorry then, where are my manners? Hello and good day to you all. Bo nods his head three times, once at each of the heavily armored men. Magistrate. Chief Constable. Constable.

My now, aren't you three dressed to the hilt? Are you expecting an attack of some kind or do you always dress in full arms and armor in these parts?

The Magistrate asks,"You are a stranger here, are you not?"
"What brings you to our little town? And, pray tell, how might we be of service?"
Indeed sir, you are correct. I am a stranger to these lands. As I stated, I am looking for someone in particular. Have any of you three had dealings with a man named Ichabod recently? He is the person I seek and it would help me greatly if you could tell me of his current whereabouts.

I do hope he hasn't gone off and gotten himself into trouble. I must say that the lands around these parts, especially that blasted forest, are a bit less safe than I would have imagined. The troupe I am currently traveling with, a rather motley bunch if I may say so, had plenty of troubles of our own in that woods. Orcs are running wild through there you know!

Is that why you are all dressed for battle then?

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric (at the tavern)
Inferno wrote:The Grey Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) just before Pelias makes his plea.

The common room of the inn is a warm, pleasant place with several barrels of ale tapped behind the bar.

But the customers, mostly farmers and locals by the looks of them, grow silent at your entrance. They turn and appraise you strangers with wary, suspicious eyes.

A gentleman approaches you. “Welcome. I’m Bertram Beswill, the innkeeper here."

"I'm afraid you’ll have to forgive us. We don’t get many strangers lately,” he smiles wistfully for a moment. Then: “Where are my manners? What can I do for you, please?”
Bertram evinced a soft-spoken sensitivity and intelligence that was more befitting a scholar than an innkeeper. Perhaps he had studied as a younger man?

At the innkeeper's welcome, the locals slowly return to their own conversations.
Grognardsw wrote:Grey Mouser, thief, at tavern

"An ale good sir," says Mouser. "I am Gray, here to investigate rumors of ill-fortune here in town. Can you help?"

The rogue discretely opens his gold-filled hand to influence friendly tongue.
Ingrid is taken aback by the Mouser's direct approach. Also, there goes their chance at establishing any collective cover story at all. Oh, just how much easier it was, travelling in a close-knit, well-guided trio!

She sees no point in contradicting the Mouser (alea iacta est, as Professor Kolde would say), but maybe it's still possible to dissociate herself from the "investigation". So she just smiles at Briarsgate's finest gentleman (so far): "My name is Ingrid Esthof. I'm on my way to Hookhill, and these gentlemen accompanied me through the Dim Forest."

"An ale is always good, but with the weather turning unusually cold, I'd rather inquire whether you hold any local herbal liqueurs?..."
G A M E S :

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior
Inferno wrote:Telkis the Gnome goes looking for a mole, in two senses of the word. Turning west, he sees the other side of the briar wall, for which the village is named, abloom with blood red roses.

He tramps out into the middle of the Pasture (west of 1), sending sheep scattering, and taps the edge of the molehill.

“What the?!” he hears from within, in Molish. “I’ll be. It’s a Gnome! Wait here. I’ll handle this!”
Then a mole pops up. “I’m called Thompkins. What do you want, knocking on my house like that?!”

Telkis politely asks after its health, and the quality of the grubs and worms in the area. Then after the requisite formalities, he asks if it's noticed any unusual vibrations from the big folk lately, or any other unusual occurrences. As the gnome makes his inquiries, the venerable, 4-year-old grandfather mole scrutinizes him with a skeptical squint and scowl.

When Telkis finishes talking, the crotchety old mole says, “Listen, Sonny! It’s true I’ve been here a while. But I make it my job to avoid the big folk! And I never venture beyond this meadow! But with that said, even we can tell that over the past year, things have changed. Something’s different. The Farmer isn’t the same. I can see it in his eye. But I don’t know what it is.
"Criminy! Now you’ve gone and done it. Here he comes!”

Thompkins jumps back down his hole and Telkis sees a farmer approaching, with his three grown sons and a dog. They have pitchforks and other deadly farming tools, not held in a threatening way but held just the same.
“Can I help you, Mister?” calls out the old farmer from a distance of 30 feet.
"Oh! I do appologize, sir. I was merely... that is, I believed I spied a peculiar rock poking up out of your pasture here, believing it might be the remains of an old Gnomish settlement. Yet I see now I was mistaken." Telkis says, kicking at a mound of sheep manure. Given the mole's reaction to the appearance of the farmer, he fears calling attention to the hill for fear the farmer might try to evict his new acquaintence. "I do hope I haven't disturbed your ... pack of sheep. My friends and I are passing through the area and intend to stay a few days. We do make a habit of trying to help out where we can, to allay any discomfort our presencees might inspire. Is there any way in which we may be of assistance to you, sir? Or to your village, general-wise?" Telkis smiles as warmly as he can manage. "Oh! Pardon, the name's Telkis. I'm a ... I'm a Gnome," he adds, lamely.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Mister-Kent »

Elden Vodarte, ranger, at the tavern
Fulci wrote:Ingrid Esthof, cleric (at the tavern)
"My name is Ingrid Esthof. I'm on my way to Hookhill, and these gentlemen accompanied me through the Dim Forest."
Vodarte steps out from behind Ingrid. "Yes. My name is Vodarte--I am a forest guide. The woods can be quite inhospitable to travelers caught unawares. You have a nice, quiet little settlement here--I'm sure the local constabulary does their best to keep the dangers of the forest outside your town..."
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Not caring that the business appears to be closed, he raps his fist upon the door. Waiting for a response he calls to a passer by.
"Pardon me sir/madam. When does the moneychanger establishment open for business?"

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”