Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 5: The Doom That Came to Briarsgate

#181 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Evening
Damp, chilly, misty

The adventurers stand in the cold shadow of an Abandoned Windmill (northwest of 24*) surrounded by untended cornfields on the outskirts of Briarsgate. Beneath the harvest moon, they debate their next steps while Telkis the gnome sends Finster the mouse out into the night to find local field mice and learn of this "hermit."

In time, Finster and his doughty band return. Telkis lifts them up in his hand and Finster squeaks in the language of mice, "No mouse of this field dares enter that sinister copse!" He glances south at the dark trees beyond the cornfield.

"No mice who go there are ever seen again!"

The adventurers remember other information they once heard about this man: Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 16/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 12/15, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2(0), HP 16/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 18/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

While waiting for the rodents to return, the inquisitive Mouser drifts into the nearby windmill. He sticks to what shadows there may be, moving as quietly as he can, Scalpel and Cat's Claw drawn.

Sundry rolls - HIS [1d100] = 21, MS [1d100] = 68, search [1d6] = 1, [1d100] = 75

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Inferno wrote:"No mice who go there are ever seen again!"

The adventurers remember other information they once heard about this man:
Ingrid leaves Bo's sleazy comment unanswered (she is guilty of bringing the question of hermit-women relations up!) and reassesses the information they have about the cabin in the woods and its inhabitant.

"I have a feeling that the villagers, Killian included, are simply blaming the only outsider they have around... instead of looking for the evil in their own little, tight-knit community. Nevertheless, we must proceed with extreme caution! I still say Bo and one or two of us (it can be me, why not...) can approach the shack, while the rest of the group waits nearby, and rushes in at the very first sight of trouble."

"Let's put it to vote. We have three options:
1. approaching in two groups, as I've just said,
2. approaching as one group, all of us,
3. or just leaving the hermit all alone. But I think he might hold information for us."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#184 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo

Well now, with this new information from the mice, I'm beginning to think Grothnak's theroy is correct. If he was a man of nature like myself, why would the animals avoid him?

Furthermore, if what Killian said was correct, and this hermit is truly responsible for all of the towns woes, we will need to stick together to defeat him.

Let's surround the place and move in. I will speak for the group unless someone else wants to.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"I agree Bo. With this new information we should consider the hermit to be hostile. It matter not that we approach as a group. Grothnak my large friend, I support we stick together as you urged before. Nicely done Telkis. Do your little friends like deer meat? " Hoom pulls out a piece of salted venison from his pack. He crouched down and extends his arm out with the salted meat to the brave little warriors.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by AleBelly »

"Strike the shepherd. Disperse the sheep! Good plan. Let us make haste!" cries Pelias.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#187 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

"Not all hermits are priests of nature, Bo. Maybe this fellow has a dozen cats," Ingrid says, but she isn't about to start an argument, seeing that so far she is in minority. Instead, she whispers sharply to Pelias: "Keep it down, paladin. We are still on enemy territory."

"Let's see what Avril, Telkis and the Mouser have to say," she adds, looking for the sneaky thief - who is someplace else.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Zhym »

"I have no theory," admits Grothnak, "but when dealing with the unknown, caution is wise. My vote is known. Let us proceed, if we are agreed."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Grognardsw »

I got the sense there is some time while we're waiting for mouse reports, and the windmill is right there, so...

Mouser's earlier comments about the hermit and town still apply. I expect (rather, hope) he'll return in time to join the others as they move out. Whatever the case, don't delay on his part.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Fulci wrote:Ingrid Esthof, cleric"Not all hermits are priests of nature, Bo. Maybe this fellow has a dozen cats,"
"I agree," says Telkis, "There are many possibilities behind my mouse friends', uh friends' fear - only one of them being that this "hermit" is the mastermind behind this madness. Let's not jump to conclusions - I'd as soon not harm another innocent..." He sighs. "I wish there were another way, but Grothnak does speak sense. Let's all go together. Though my armor doesn't allow for much sneaking, per se." Telkis thanks Finster and gives him the choice to ride in his pack for now, or to continue looking for information. We still need to find out what we can about those tunnels under the Inn, if the local mice have any knowledge. And the temple, do any mice ever go there?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Between 9 and 10pm.
Damp, chilly, misty.

The adventurers stand in the cold shadow of an Abandoned Windmill (northwest of 24*) surrounded by untended cornfields on the outskirts of Briarsgate.

While they await the report of Telkis' fieldmouse scouts, the Grey Mouser slips away to scout the nearby windmill alone. 30 feet from the party, he finds it in good condition, with all its doors and windows securely boarded up. He wipes clean an open expanse of windowpane and peers inside. Unlike the two abandoned farms that the party had encountered, where everything was left in haste, whoever left the windmill took all their possessions with them before solidly securing its portals. The moonlight reveals an empty, barren interior.

Mouser rejoins the group in time to see Hoom share some salted venison with a grateful Finster the mouse, who in turn shares it with his two mice-in-arms. The rodent trio elect to ride in Telkis' pack for now.

Armed with Finster's intelligence, the heroes agree upon a plan of action and wind their way south, through a half acre of forlorn, dying cornstalks.

Then they enter the dark grove of the mysterious "hermit."

There, beneath those black boughs, the spectral fog glows with eerie, reflected moonlight. There, in that silent wood, it feels as if something palpable possesses the air itself.

They advance 40 feet into the ghostly orchard. 60 feet. 80 feet. Suddenly a rogue wind blasts the tall grass before them. The phantom gust advances, blowing dry, dead leaves and bending thatch in its path, all the way to the front door of a Dilapidated Hovel (27*).

Its heavy curtains are drawn and a weak light burns within. The cold night air carries the smell of smoke on it.
Suddenly, when the heroes close within 30 feet of the ramshackle hut, loud, savage barking bursts from within the shack. "RAUGH! RAUGH! RAUGH!"
The front door flies open and a wolf-like dog lunges out, a blur of grey fur and slavering white fangs!

Perched upon branches high above, the crow sentinels caw their warnings of imminent attack!

"SHADDUP!" barks a deep, cracked voice. The back-lit silhouette of a bent figure stands in the hovel's doorway, leaning on a stick, before a shaft of light that cuts forward into the woods. The wolf stops in its tracks at its master's command, halfway between the intruders and the doorway, still snarling with suspicion at all these strangers near the house. The crows fall silent.

“Magistrate?... Who's out there?!” demands the man's wrathful, gravelly voice. "Why are you hiding in the dark?! What the hell do you want?!" the old man shouts irately at the armored strangers. His trembling hand holds up a candle, revealing his weathered, angry and bewildered face.
old man.jpg
old man.jpg (363.97 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Actions?

Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/1: AC 7, HP 9/9, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis, Gnome Fighter

"Easy, guys. If I set my pack down, you scurry out and run away to a safe distance," he whispers over his shoulder in Mouse. He then looks to Bo, their agreed spokesman. He keeps his bow ready, but not raised.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#193 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo isn't afraid of one old man and his dog.

Good evening friend! Please do not be alarmed. We are only here for information and mean you no harm.

We are investigating the strange occurrences in this town and I was hoping you would be willing to tell us what you know.

He smiles at the wolf, trying to calm the tension. He hopes that Pelias can discern if the man has intentions of wickedness.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#194 Post by dmw71 »

Avril, content with the groups new plan to approach the hermit en mass, takes a started step back and allows her hand to fall to the hilt of her sword at first sign of the angry wolf dog rushing at them, but relaxes herself once the enraged beast is quickly calmed and withdraws at the simple command of its owner.

She initially observes as Bo engages with the old man, resting her hands on her hips, not on her weapons. After a brief moment, with much of the groups' attention drawn to Bo and the hermit, she make a conscious effort to tune out the dialogue and use both her visual and auditory senses to study the areas off to either side of the group, hoping to spot any potential visitors attempting to catch the group unaware.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom positions himself to the rear of the party just in case the hermit is biased to his kind. He holds fast as he observes the conversation between Bo and the hermit.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak stands to the side of the side of the group, saying nothing. His tattooed face is impassive—mostly because he knows what usually happens if he tries to smile.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Grognardsw »

The Grey Mouser stands back in the shadows, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias steps up slowly to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Bo, hoping his handsome visage helps to make a favorable first impression.

The detect evil capability is stunted a bit in this game, OM, to keep from making things too easy. ;)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Inferno »

Day Five
Village of Briarsgate
Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY. Between 9 and 10pm.
Damp, chilly, misty.

The heroes face a wolf and an old hermit before their Dilapidated Hovel (27*). Both glare and bark and bare their teeth at the armed, skulking intruders in the dark.

"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"
The wolf growls long and low, a guttural underscore to the heightened tension of this unwelcome encounter.
The venerable beggar in threadbare rags looks about. He stares with suspicion at each of the adventurers and then past them, deep into the night beyond.
old mans eyes.jpg
old mans eyes.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
wolfs growl.jpg
wolfs growl.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Avril also peers into the spectral gloom, for unwanted eyes and ears and finds none.

"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Then the old man grunts in a neutral monotone, "Down, girl. It's not them."
The wolf goes quiet, but remains alert and tensed.
All expression drains slowly from the decrepit man's face, like blood from a stuck pig. But his wariness does not fade.

Long Bo the Druid says, "Good evening friend! Please do not be alarmed. We are only here for information and mean you no harm."

"Hah!" The elderly man coughs long, wet and spasmodic. It may be a derisive laugh. Or not. But the small seizure causes him to accidentally drop his candle, extinguishing it. He grumbles something to himself, bleak muttering that only Hoom's sharp Elf ears can hear:
"Information means harm."
The aged mendicant takes a slow, unsure step forward, leaning heavily upon his thick, gnarled tree branch. The ramshackle hut's door shuts behind him on creaking hinges, plunging the area back into a shadow realm of moonlit penumbra.

From the returned shadows, Avril's infravision reveals no one within 60 feet.

Bo continues, "We are investigating the strange occurrences in this town and I was hoping you would be willing to tell us what you know."

Stone silence. And a pause that feels longer than the reign of an unjust king.
Then finally the black silhouette of the old hermit replies from out of the darkness. His deep, cracked voice is slow, heavy and even. "I don't know what you're talking about. Your words don't mean anything to me, although they sound like they're meant to."

Actions?

Magic:

*Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#200 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom look about the group and wonders if his face is the only one that looks puzzled at the hermit lack of care for the villagers near. Then Hoom gets nervous as his attention shifts to the man's wolf. Surely it can smell the deer meat tucked away in his pack. He decides remains quite and still as a tree as he lets those with better negotiation skill take center stage. In the mean while he keeps a close eye on the wolf hoping that his dinner will be safe in his pack.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”