Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Forsaken Village

#41 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Late afternoon. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY
Chilly, misty, threatening rain

The expedition of adventurers, come from Hochoch to investigate the strange rumors of Briarsgate, separates upon reaching the village.

Long Bo the Druid meets the Magistrate and Constables at the Constable's Quarters (2).

Suddenly, you hear a man shouting outside, not in anger, but as if making an announcement. You can't make out what he's saying.
Constable Onfre calmly excuses himself to go out and have a look. As he exits, he closes the thick door behind him, and its latch clicks shut.

Magistrate Ruskadel politely asks that you be seated so that you may resume your conversation in comfort. Chief Constable Allard silently listens, watching Long Bo’s face.

The Druid continues, concluding with, “…The troupe I am currently traveling with, a rather motley bunch if I may say so, had plenty of troubles of our own in that woods. Orcs are running wild through there you know! Is that why you are all dressed for battle then?”

“Yes. Yes it is. Orcs. In the woods. Dreadful business. ...Well, I’m afraid I’ve seen neither hide nor hair of your Ichabod,” says the Magistrate ruefully, glancing at Donavan Allard for confirmation. The Chief Constable grunts in agreement.

The Magistrate continues, “What a shame. And after coming all this way. But, please. Tell me about this 'motley troupe.' Who are they and where are they now, rather than at your side? Why have they come to our humble little hamlet? And how long may we plan on the pleasure of your company?” he smiles pleasantly.

Telkis Brassfang converses with beast and man in a Sheep Pasture (west of 1).

“Can I help you, Mister?” calls out the old farmer from a distance of 30 feet.

Telkis replies, "Oh! I do apologize, sir. I was merely... that is, I believed I spied a peculiar rock poking up out of your pasture here, believing it might be the remains of an old Gnomish settlement. Yet I see now I was mistaken. I do hope I haven't disturbed your ... pack of sheep. My friends and I are passing through the area and intend to stay a few days.”

The farmer’s eyes narrow.

Telkis says, “We do make a habit of trying to help out where we can, to allay any discomfort our presences might inspire. Is there any way in which we may be of assistance to you, sir? Or to your village, general-wise?"

The farmer says, “Well, ye might start by not tromping through our fields as if ye owned the place, or soon intended to!”

Telkis smiles as warmly as he can manage. "Oh! Pardon! The name's Telkis. I'm a ... I'm a Gnome," he adds, lamely.

"Well. Ye are a Gnome. That much is certain. And I suppose there’s no harm. I’m Hewitt Twaine. These are my boys. This is Scout. And this is our spread ye’re standing in,” he says looking across their small patch on the edge of Briarsgate with a bittersweet mixture of pride and sorrow.

Then Twaine returns from his brief reverie. “Ye gave my grandgirl quite a scare,” he says, referring to the young butter churner. “Well… We’d best see to our work now, if’n ye’ll excuse us, please.”

The farmer stands there, between Telkis and his boys, waiting. He’s spoken politely, quietly and calmly. But Telkis can see his knuckles are bone white from the deathgrip on the pitchfork handle.

The Gnome warrior, a veteran of many battles, clearly recognizes what Thompkins couldn’t in the Farmer’s eye. Terror.

Hoom Feethos stands before the Moneychanger and Jeweler (7).

Not caring that the business appears to be closed, Hoom raps his fist upon the door. Waiting for a response he calls to a passer by. "Pardon me, madam. When does the moneychanger establishment open for business?"

A farmer's wife looks up from her basket of eggs and is surprised to find an Elf talking to her.

"?!.. Moneychanger?... Oh... Um... he's been closed up now for... I reckon a fortnight or more, sir."
"Beggin' my pardon for askin'"
she says, gawking at you unabashedly. "... Are you with those other Elves?"

Grothnak and Pelias stand in a Crossroad (between 2 and 6). The Half-Orc garners a few suspicious looks. Pelias continues to speak publicly and directly to the villagers. "My eyes tell me some of you distrust me, or resent our presence here. May I entreat one of you skeptics to discuss matters with me privately? We may do so at this very spot, if you wish. I will do you no harm."

The townsfolk look at each other again. None of the skeptics will take up Pelias on his offer. They slowly begin to move on, continuing about their business, even as other villagers come to see what the commotion is - including a pale, blotchy, older constable in banded mail who seems content merely to observe, for now.

Only one of the townsfolk seems to want to speak to Pelias, but this desire is not borne from skepticism. It's a young mother who became somewhat distraught at Pelias’ speech; her face torn between hope and fear. Her wet eyes dart around at the locals, some of whom evenly meet her gaze. She says nothing, but looks at Pelias with pleading eyes.

Then she turns, gathers her two small children and hurries away eastward, down the main road. She looks back only once.

The Grey Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) and meet its refined innkeeper, Bertram Beswill. “What can I do for you, please?”

"An ale good sir," says Mouser. "I am Grey, here to investigate rumors of ill-fortune here in town. Can you help?" The rogue discretely opens his gold-filled hand to influence friendly tongue.

Bertram Beswill's eyes alight at Mouser's words. They cautiously meet Mouser's eyes as Bertram softly says, “I know I can help with the former. And I pray that I can help with the latter.”
Then his eyes glance at the Mouser’s gold, for only a moment. He gently murmurs, “…Thank you. How kind. There will be time enough for that later, I think.” He clasps Mouser’s hand with both of his, to give the appearance of shaking it, and closes it with the gold still inside.

Ingrid smiles, "My name is Ingrid Esthof. I'm on my way to Hookhill, and these gentlemen accompanied me through the Dim Forest. An ale is always good, but with the weather turning unusually cold, I'd rather inquire whether you hold any local herbal liqueurs?..."

“But of course. Please. Come in. Make yourselves at home,” Bertram says as he offers his arm to the lady and leads you three to a table in the far corner, away from prying eyes and ears.

Vodarte says, "My name is Vodarte--I am a forest guide. The woods can be quite inhospitable to travelers caught unawares. You have a nice, quiet little settlement here--I'm sure the local constabulary does their best to keep the dangers of the forest outside your town..."

Bertram replies, "Yes. While heavy handed, they've kept the Goblin Men at bay for many years now. Now please excuse me. I won't be but a moment.”

The barmaid brings your drinks, which are of unexceptional quality, and asks if you would care to order food.

Soon Bertram brings a complementary plate of hot hors d'œuvres and joins you at your table. He takes pains to appear that he is merely visiting as a good host, perhaps to avoid arousing the suspicion of his clientele? “I truly wish we had better offerings to share with you. Of late, the caravan traffic has all but stopped. I’m afraid our stores are quite low. …And winter is coming.”

Then his voice assumes the hushed tones of gentlemanly discretion, and he gazes at Mouser. “Forgive me… Now, wherever shall I begin?? How much do you already know? You said something about rumours?” From time to time, his careful eyes flicker warily toward his other customers.

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger 2: AC 3, HP 20/20
The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 2: AC 4, HP 13/17
Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 6/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
Long Bo, Human Druid 2: AC 6, HP 15/15, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl
Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: AC 2, HP 18/19
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 2: AC 0, HP 15/19

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Partial Map of Briarsgate
NPC List for Briarsgate

(edited for typos and image sizes)
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

Telkis, sensing the farmer's fear, hesitates only a moment. "Yes, of course Mr.Twaine. sorry for disturbing you - and your daughter - you're clearly very busy." Telkis looks around admiringly. "A beautiful place you have here, sir. And if something occurs to you - any way we can be of assistance to you, that is, please do not hesitate to send word to me at the inn. Good day to you, sir." At the words "any way we can be of assistance," Telkis makes brief but direct eye contact with the farmer. He then bows and takes his leave, careful not to disturb the sheep further on the way out.

Telkis then unhurriedly makes his way towards the inn. If Grothnak and Pelias are still in the intersection when he arrives there, he'll say loudly "Well this seems like a fine village!" then add under his breath to Grothnak, "If these people aren't afraid of someone in this town, I'll eat my left boot. The farmer was tryin to act regular, but clearly he's very afraid. And afraid to ask for help, too." after a moment he adds, "The moles seem fine."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:
"?!.. Moneychanger?... Oh... Um... he's been closed up now for... I reckon a fortnight or more, sir."
"Beggin' my pardon for askin'" she says, gawking at you unabashedly. "... Are you with those other Elves?"
"No I traveled here with a mostly human party. What other elves are you referring to?" he says as he looks around to see a if any other elves milling about.

"Do you know where I can find Praetorius the proprietor of this here store?" he gestures to the wooden door of the moneychangers.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#44 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo completely ignores the mans questions about the party and changes the subject.

You know, I am a man of nature and I noticed on my way into town that this area seems to be harmonizing quite well with the way of things. The crops and animals all look fine and yet frighteningly enough, you have orcs roaming just outside your borders? I utterly despise those life sucking two legged rats.

I myself wield a bit of magical power that could help you fight these vile creatures. Do they invade your town often? I would be happy to help the good people rid themselves of this menace if you should only ask it of me. I don't like to brag but, I exterminated more than a few of them in that dank forest on my way here.

As he talks, Bo looks carefully around the room and then studies closely the gear and possessions of both gentlemen.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Grognardsw »

Inferno wrote:The Grey Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) and meet its refined innkeeper, Bertram Beswill. “What can I do for you, please?”

...Then his voice assumes the hushed tones of gentlemanly discretion, and he gazes at Mouser. “Forgive me… Now, wherever shall I begin?? How much do you already know? You said something about rumours?” From time to time, his careful eyes flicker warily toward his other customers.
Grey Mouser drinks his ale and says quietly: "Well we've heard much, but 'tis hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. Raids from bandit goblins and ogres, poisoned water, a black sorcerer, goblin ghosts, a monster stealing children, swamp crocodiles, changlings taking over townsfolk. It's no wonder the place still stands. What is the truth of the matter in your opinion?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak remains with Pelias, saying nothing. He considers offering a friendly smile but decides against it. It's not that Grothnak is incapable of a friendly smile. It's just that the simpler sorts of humans sometimes have trouble telling the difference between a smile and baring of teeth.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid sip her liqueur and eats a few bites, but she already understands that the hors d'œuvres won't satisfy her hunger. "Thank you for the warm welcome," she says, "I would like to order a main course, though - anything you have in stock, really..."

Cornbread with molten cheese, potato casserole with mushrooms, stuffed peppers, mashed apples, she recalls the stuff they used to eat on festive days in her home village. But right now, she realizes, she's so hungry, that she'd eat anything more or less edible.
Grognardsw wrote:Grey Mouser drinks his ale and says quietly: "Well we've heard much, but 'tis hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. Raids from bandit goblins and ogres, poisoned water, a black sorcerer, goblin ghosts, a monster stealing children, swamp crocodiles, changlings taking over townsfolk. It's no wonder the place still stands. What is the truth of the matter in your opinion?"
A smile appears on Ingrid's face, hearing this vast array of rumors once again.

"No wonder no caravans go to a place... But clearly, this is not the case, seeing Briarsgate now for what it is. Sounds like somebody is trying to damage the town's reputation. Just a fleeting thought, though, might be the usual rumor-mongering."
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Mister-Kent »

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger

"Please...just a simple dish for me," Vodarte requests of their host. "The plainest meat you have--that's the kind of meal I'm used to on the trails..." He thinks back to the exodus from his homeland, how he and his family foraged for what they could gather, and hunted any beast, no matter how small. Though he swore he'd never again experience the terror of being a refugee, the cuisines of the fugitive life were familiar to him.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias looks with scorn at those who walk away. He eyes the constable for a few seconds then follows the woman east down the road, keeping watch to see which dwelling she enters. He will follow and knock on her door, watching to see if anyone follows.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
Early evening. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY

The expedition of adventurers, come from Hochoch to investigate the strange rumors of Briarsgate, separates upon reaching the village.

Long Bo the Druid converses with Magistrate Ruskadel and Chief Constable Allard at the Constables' Quarters (2).

As he talks, Long Bo looks about the room. Nothing seems out of the ordinary here. Ruskadel and Allard are well armed and armored, in different styles of ironcraft; not uncommon for a crossroads town between three cities (Hochoch, Hookhill and Shiboleth).

The Magistrate listens intently for what is said and unsaid, at times exchanging glances with the stony-faced Chief Constable.

Long Bo says, "...The crops and animals all look fine and yet frighteningly enough, you have orcs roaming just outside your borders? I utterly despise those life sucking two legged rats."

"As do all good, thinking men," concurs the Magistrate.

The Druid says, "I myself wield a bit of magical power...

"Oh?" says the Magistrate, his eyebrows raised with polite interest.

Long Bo continues, "...It could help you fight these vile creatures. Do they invade your town often?"

"Not of late," replies the Magistrate with a small smile. "They've learned their lesson years ago. But we must ever stay on our guard against them."

Long Bo says, "I would be happy to help the good people rid themselves of this menace if you should only ask it of me. I don't like to brag but, I exterminated more than a few of them in that dank forest on my way here."

The Magistrate replies, "Excellent. That’s good to know. Thank you for that kind offer. Most gracious. There may come a time when we will need call upon you for such generously offered aid. If and when the time comes, where might we find you? And how long did you say we’ll be fortunate enough to have such services available?

“Oh. One more thing,”
he says with idle, polite interest. “Are there any more of your ‘motley troupe’ that are also warlocks or witches?”

Telkis Brassfang talks with with Hewitt Twaine in his Sheep Pasture (west of 1).

Telkis, sensing the farmer's fear, hesitates only a moment. "Yes, of course Mr.Twaine. Sorry for disturbing you - and your granddaughter - you're clearly very busy." Telkis looks around admiringly. "A beautiful place you have here, sir. And if something occurs to you - any way we can be of assistance to you, that is, please do not hesitate to send word to me at the inn. Good day to you, sir." At the words "any way we can be of assistance," Telkis makes brief but direct eye contact with the farmer.

The farmer unflinchingly returns the gnome's eye contact, remaining motionless and stoic, "I thank ye, sir. Good day now."

Telkis bows and takes his leave, careful not to disturb the sheep further on the way out.

Continued below...

Hoom Feethos stands before the Moneychanger and Jeweler (7) conversing with a local farmer's wife.

"No, I traveled here with a mostly human party. What other elves are you referring to?" Hooms says as he looks around for other elves, finding none.

“Why, the only other Elves there are! In that house there at the end of the road,” she says, pointing to a small cottage (9), just 150 feet away. “Not exactly joiners, are they? Anyway, are there many more of you Elves coming? This is a human village, you know!”

Hoom gestures to the wooden door of the moneychangers. "Do you know where I can find Praetorius, the proprietor of this here store?"

“Praetorius? He’s gone! Without a word! One day his shoppe was shut up. He’s left us, he has …just like the others,” she says and then bustles away to investigate the commotion caused by Pelias.

Telkis catches up with Grothnak and Pelias standing in a Crossroad (between 2 and 6) among the remains of a dispersing commotion.

Telkis says loudly, "Well this seems like a fine village!" Then, under his breath to Grothnak, "If these people aren't afraid of someone in this town, I'll eat my left boot. The farmer was tryin to act regular, but clearly he's very afraid. And afraid to ask for help, too." after a moment he adds, "The moles seem fine."

Pelias looks with scorn at those who walk away. He eyes the constable for a few seconds, who coolly makes no acknowledgment of their momentary exchange of glances. Then Pelias follows the woman east down the road, keeping watch to see which dwelling she enters, and if anyone follows him.

Grothnak remains with Pelias, saying nothing. The half-orc warrior is happy to case more of the village. He considers offering a friendly smile to the townsfolk but decides against it. It's not that Grothnak is incapable of a friendly smile. It's just that the simpler sorts of humans sometimes have trouble telling the difference between a smile and baring of teeth.

Telkis sees that the young woman has the same look of fear in her eye as Hewitt Twaine. Except, unlike the old farmer, she seems desperate to talk. The gnome joins Pelias and Grothnak.

The trio follow the young woman through the town’s muddy lanes and paths at a discrete distance. The gathering gloom of sunset helps hide their unusual appearance. No one appears to be following them.

The map of your path:
Briarsgate Map.jpg
Briarsgate Map.jpg (716.48 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Moving east, you see:
  • The Moneychanger and Jeweler (7) is a small stone building shut tight by shutters and doors of heavy wood, reinforced with iron bands. Hoom Feethos stands before it, with his back to you.

The Livery Stable (8) is a broken down wooden structure with a sagging front porch. The last traces of a paint job cling to small areas of the walls but in many areas the exposed, bare wood has started to rot. A fenced walkway leads from the road to the back of the house. The rich smell of horses and manure is strong here.

The General Mercantile (12) is a well-kept establishment with farm implements and cooking utensils displayed on its wide porch. The door stands open and a well-painted sign of a pot, plow, sack and lantern hangs above it.
The short autumn day dies and, behind the dark heavy clouds, the sun sets. At the next crossroads (near 8, 9 and 12) you can see the serene pond at the center of the village, and on the other shore, a Farmhouse (22) and the Church (21). No one seems to be following you.
At twilight, you follow the young woman southeast down the main road, passing:
  • A small cottage (9) that has been freshly whitewashed. Heavy curtains hang over the windows.

The Mayor’s Residence (10), a house set well back from the road, overlooking the water. This is by far the most imposing house in the village. The wellcrafted home is also well cared for. You can see a carriage house in the back.

A Rundown Farmhouse (13) in desperate need of repair. The front door, porch steps and porch supports are missing. The barn is nearing collapse, but the chickens in the yard suggest this place is indeed inhabited. A small, sickly, unharvested crop of corn and oats are in the fields.

The Tailor Shop (11), a small, ramshackle building in need of repair. A shutter has come off, shingles are missing and the walls show wood rot in several places.
No one seems to be following you. You cross a small covered bridge and continue past:
  • The Blacksmith (15). KANG! The shop is unwalled and two brawny lads operate a bellows while a giant of a man hammers thunderously upon a piece of metal that will soon become a shovel blade. KTANG! Soot and smoke abound. The lads eye you warily. KLANG!

An Abandoned Building (16). The doors and windows of this large, battered and weatherbeaten building are boarded up. A sign lies face down in the weeds before the broken porch. The roof has several holes.

The Carpenter’s Shop (14). A saw-shaped sign hangs before this well-constructed building. The front part of the house is unwalled and the carpenter is ending his day’s work, collecting the many tools that are scattered about. He glances up at you, nods neutrally, and then returns to his task.

A Decrepit Farmhouse and Barn (17). Doors and shutters swing freely here. Abandoned desolation, choked by weeds.

You then follow her north, passing:
  • A Farmhouse and Barn (18). Hard to see in the failing light, but this farm looks moderately prosperous and well-kept. There is light inside the house.
No one seems to be following you. In your short journey, some villagers had passed you coming the other way and were surprised by your appearance, but not inordinately so. They made perfunctory greetings as they passed by, and hurried on their way.

You finally stop near:
  • A Farmhouse and Hog Farm (19). The mother and her children walk up the steps to this modest home. There is light inside. She looks back at you as she sends the children in, and subtly points toward the back of her house. Then she disappears inside.
Night has fallen. To the west, you see:
  • A Small Cottage, (20) with a light inside, that can barely be discerned between the trees that surround it and the gathering darkness.
Before you, atop a hill, is:
  • The Village Church (21). A stone temple to Merikka, benevolent goddess of agriculture, fertility and the harvest (chaotic good). The gates have shut with the setting sun, and the stately steeple bell tolls.
    Church of Merrika.jpg
    Church of Merrika.jpg (462.7 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Grothnak, Pelais and Telkis go around the back of the Farmhouse (19). They hear low voices within, a man and a woman, but can't understand what's being said. A hand draws the curtains, and a candle in the back of the house is blown out.

Pelias gently knocks on the dark backdoor. It opens, revealing the young mother and a man beside her, likely her husband, standing in an unlit room. She nervously looks past you all, in every direction. Then she looks into the young paladin's eyes, her face still torn between hope and fear, trust and mistrust. She whispers from the deep shadows of the doorway, "Please, sir... Is it true? ...What you said in the town? ...Did you mean it?"

The Grey Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte enter the Golden Grain Inn (6) and meet its innkeeper, Bertram Beswill.

The barmaid took your order for food and some of it was served with Bertram's complementary plate. Again, middling fare, for which he apologizes once more.

Grey Mouser drinks his ale and says quietly: "Well we've heard much, but 'tis hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. Raids from bandit goblins and ogres, poisoned water, a black sorcerer, goblin ghosts, a monster stealing children, swamp crocodiles, changelings taking over townsfolk. It's a wonder the place still stands. What is the truth of the matter in your opinion?"

A smile appears on Ingrid's face, hearing this vast array of rumors once again. "No wonder no caravans go to a place... But clearly, this is not the case, seeing Briarsgate now for what it is. Sounds like somebody is trying to damage the town's reputation. Just a fleeting thought, though, might be the usual rumor-mongering."

Bertram Beswill said, “These rumours are most disconcerting. But, sadly, they are not entirely without cause. I shall be happy to reveal the truth as I know it...”

To be continued in: Chapter 3b: Beyond the Veil of Secrets.

3b will be a private thread for Mouser, Ingrid and Vodarte only.
All other players, please stay out of that thread. Thanks. :)

Elden Vodarte, Human Ranger 2: AC 3, HP 20/20
The Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 4, HP 10/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: AC 3(1), HP 14/16, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl

Magic:
Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

NPC List for Briarsgate
Last edited by Inferno on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3a: The Forsaken Village

#51 Post by Zhym »

"He speaks the truth," says Grothnak. "This man is a paladin. I believe he would suffer physical distress if he tried to lie."

If the half-orc is making a joke, his stony face doesn't show it.

"We wish to help, if we can."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Warrior

Telkis wags his head in agreement, but offers no comment. He heard Pelias shouting something in the town while he was talking to the farmer, but isn't sure what exactly was promised. He assumes it's an offer of help. He looks up attentively, patiently waiting for the young lady to explain. He's quite taken with this small family. Just at that moment it occurs to him that all this dealing with large folk is going to be hard on his neck...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias smiles thinly at Grothnak's joke. "Yes, I speak naught but truth. To do otherwise dishonors my god. Without my god, I am but an urchin in the Hookhill slums."

Pelias tries to mask his concern as he addresses the man and woman. "Are matters so grim here that public affirmations to follow the path of righteousness are considered dangerous? Tell me, uh, tell us. What troubles you so?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Zhym »

"I was an urchin in the Hookhill slums," says Grothnak in a low voice. "Many others were my friends. They were honorable people. Please do not speak ill of them."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"I was an urchin in the Hookhill slums," says Grothnak in a low voice. "Many others were my friends. They were honorable people. Please do not speak ill of them."
Pelias turns to the half-orc. "As was I, as I'm sure you remember. I simply meant that without Heironeus, I would never have been raised from my humble beginnings. Without him, I would not be here to help root out whatever evil has the town so cowed."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak nods solemnly. "We traveled in different packs, you and I. I understand the importance of your path. And yet, though I do not follow your god, I too am here to root out evil. There are many paths to valor, friend. That is all I ask you to remember."

He turns back to the woman. "I apologize, ma'am. Please tell us how we can help."

Also, Pelias is nine years older then Grothnak. They probably wouldn't have met each other in Hookhill.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#57 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo stands up abruptly to his full 6 foot 8 height. He towers over the two armored men and speaks to them in a low but assertive tone.

WITCHES? WARLOCKS?
I should say not!!!
I don't really know the others I was with. As I said, we were simply traveling companions. But I can assure you of this, there are no evil witches or demonic sorcerers in the bunch. I would not abide with such actions!

The tall, grey haired human tries to calm himself by taking a huge breath and holding it in for a bit.

Gentlemen! Don't take my offer of natural magicks as some vile tricks of satan or some other power of evil. As I told you, I am a man of nature and I don't tolerate evil beings that try to manipulate others into doing their evil deeds. I understand that, to some, magic can be frightening. But I'm not the type of caster that turns people into newts or dragons for my own personal amusement.

Why are you interrogating me so? Does it matter where I will sleep or how long I will be around? I must say that I'm NOT accustomed to offering someone help and having them question me like I am some type of troublemaker. Have I done something wrong to be treated thusly?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Inferno »

Day Four
Village of Briarsgate
After sunset. Wednesday, October 19th, 576 CY

The investigators of the strange rumors of Briarsgate split up upon reaching the village.

Long Bo the Druid converses with Magistrate Ruskadel and Chief Constable Allard at the Constables' Quarters (2).

The Magistrate says, “Oh. One more thing, are there any more of your ‘motley troupe’ that are also warlocks or witches?”

Long Bo stands up abruptly to his full 6 foot 8 height. He towers over the two armored men and speaks to them in a low but assertive tone.
"WITCHES? WARLOCKS? I should say not!!!
"I don't really know the others I was with. As I said, we were simply traveling companions. But I can assure you of this, there are no evil witches or demonic sorcerers in the bunch. I would not abide with such actions!"

The tall, grey haired human tries to calm himself by taking a huge breath and holding it in for a bit.
"Gentlemen! Don't take my offer of natural magicks as some vile tricks of satan or some other power of evil. As I told you, I am a man of nature and I don't tolerate evil beings that try to manipulate others into doing their evil deeds. I understand that, to some, magic can be frightening. But I'm not the type of caster that turns people into newts or dragons for my own personal amusement.
"Why are you interrogating me so? Does it matter where I will sleep or how long I will be around? I must say that I'm NOT accustomed to offering someone help and having them question me like I am some type of troublemaker. Have I done something wrong to be treated thusly?"

Chief Constable Donavan Allard grips the hilt of his sheathed long sword.

“No. Stay your terrible hand, my friend,” Magistrate Grover Ruskadel smiles to Allard.
Allard glowers as Ruskadel says calmly to Long Bo: “There now, good sir, you mistake us! No doubt you must be tired from your trying journey through those accursed woods. ‘Interrogating’?” Ruskadel scoffs, as if the idea were ridiculous.
“I'm sure I don't know what you mean. We are engaging in polite conversation! I was merely enquiring after your accommodations so that we might find you, should we need to take you up on your generous offer. How else shall we locate you? Please be seated. We are all civilized men here.”

The door opens and Constable Hulbar Onfre reenters, his face guarded.

“What is it, Constable,” asks the Magistrate, his hands idly forming a steeple.

Onfre enters and whispers into the Magistrate’s ear, his hand cupped to shield his words.
Allard watches Long Bo.

“I see,” nods Ruskadel. “You were right to tell me.”
He returns his attention to Long Bo. “I trust you’ll forgive us our little misunderstanding. Most regrettable. I am glad and relieved, sir, to hear that you are no troublemaker,” he says as his piercing eyes happen to meet Long Bo’s at that very moment. “For you’ll find, my friend, that Briarsgate is a village that will brook no trouble. I hope your stay here is a quiet one. And that you find your friend, Ichabod.
“Now you’ll kindly excuse us, please? I'm afraid something has just come up.”

Ruskadel and Allard stand, and Onfre shows Long Bo to the door.

Grothnak, Pelais and Telkis go around the back of the Farmhouse (19) and gently knock on its dark backdoor. It opens, revealing the distraught young mother, and a man beside her, standing in an unlit room. She nervously looks past you all, in every direction. Then she looks into the young paladin's eyes, her face still torn between hope and fear, trust and mistrust. She whispers from the deep shadows of the doorway, "Please, sir... Is it true? ...What you said in the town? ...Did you mean it?"

"He speaks the truth," says Grothnak. "This man is a paladin. I believe he would suffer physical distress if he tried to lie. We wish to help, if we can."

Telkis wags his head in agreement, but offers no comment. He looks up attentively, patiently waiting for the young lady to explain.

"Yes, I speak naught but truth. To do otherwise dishonors my god. Without my god, I am but an urchin in the Hookhill slums." Pelias tries to mask his concern as he addresses the man and woman. "Are matters so grim here that public affirmations to follow the path of righteousness are considered dangerous? Tell me, uh, tell us. What troubles you so?"

“Forgive us our failing faith, kind sir! Our convictions have been sorely tested! I fear righteousness is too much to hope for in Briarsgate! Please come in!” she says, stepping back to let you enter the modest farmhouse.

As the warriors three enter, Grothnak and Pelias quietly exchange words beneath their breath about a shared heritage that serves not to bind them but rather to drive them apart.

The young woman fearfully looks outside once more to make sure no one is watching. Then she shuts the door and locks it.

Trembling in the darkened kitchen, she weeps softly, “I am Felicity Gade and this is my husband, Killian.”
  • The Gades.jpg
    The Gades.jpg (121.87 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
“Good sirs, something terrible is amiss in our village! We don’t know what to do, nor whom to trust!” she cries, unable to hold back any longer.

Killian Gade embraces and consoles his wife tenderly, and then says to you, “In truth, we fear for our lives. And the lives of our babies," his eyes flashing to the other room where they lay sleeping.
"For many months now… we cannot explain the forces at work in Briarsgate. As my wife said, we cannot trust anyone here any longer. Perhaps… we can trust in outsiders," he says, looking to you with hope.

Felicity sobs uncontrollably, "Please, Merrika! Please, merciful goddess! I beg you. At long last, let our prayers be answered!"

Magic:

NPC List for Briarsgate
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias seems uncomfortable with the crying, though he tries his best not to show it. "Mortal fear. When gripped by such a force, it infects your every though, casts doubt on every action, and renders every sleep restless. It is no way to live. Perhaps you can tell us something precise of these happenings. How many are acting strangely? And what manner of action leads you to call them strange? And, with apologies in advance for offending you two - how is it that you are one of the few, if not only, that remain untainted by whatever foul force has imbued this town?"

Trying to be subtle about it, he will attempt to use his powers to detect evil while others in his party speak.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak casts a sidelong glance at Pelias as the paladin practically interrogates the poor villagers.

"You can trust us," he says to Felicity and Killian. "Please, tell us anything you know of what has happened here."

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”