It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent
(25).
Sometime between 2am and dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


"It's the law," Hoom whispers to Mouser.

In their dark room, Mouser hears no sound coming from Baltus' room.
Hoom quietly listens at the floorboards and hears voices in the common room below.

It must be Magistrate Ruskadel that speaks next. He says something Hoom can't make out. The tone is of humble, elegant apologies.

Constable Allard grunts something that also can't be heard. Low and even.

Another male voice, that Hoom doesn't recognize, says a word or two. Tentative. Apologetic.

Belba fairly bellows, "Why, young master Miller, too! Come in! Now, what can we do for you fine gentleman?"

Hoom has a sinking suspicion. He remembers, hours ago:

      Inferno wrote:

      Outside, a door in the Millhouse (26) suddenly opens and several men come rushing in the direction of Hoom and Mouser!

      Image

      The five figures are backlit by lanterns at the door, held by the miller's wife and youngest son.

      Image

      The men move closer and closer to the hiding thieves until: "Hey Pa! There's someone here!" shouts one of the young men in complete surprise as he points at Hoom hiding behind a tree!


Actions?


Image


Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Whispering again to Mouser. "The Miller too, from before." Hoom presses his ear tighter against the floor in the vain hope that it will improve his hearing.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
With silence from Baltus' room, Grey joins in listening at the floor boards.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:10 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent
(25).
Sometime between 2am and dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


Mouser joins Hoom in eavesdropping through the floor of their room at the Inn of the Slumbering Serpent.

Below, they hear the inn's front door shut, followed by the footsteps of armored men.

Innkeeper Ollwin Craloon's speaks softly and his words cannot be heard. His timbre is polite, placating.
Magistrate Ruskadel's tone follows, one of stately oratory.
Chief Constable Allard supports him, brief, steady and deep.

“Why no! We haven't seen anyone that fits that description!” Belba Cralloon insists loudly. “I think we would have remembered an elf!"

Suddenly a noise comes from Baltus’ room! A chair tipping over onto the floor with a loud crash.

Those below must have heard it as well because they stop talking.

A tense silence grows.


Actions?


Image


Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

"By the gods, Batlus you fool!" Hoom says in a frustrated whisper as he hears the loud crash next door.
"Out the win… " he starts to say to Mouser who already has one foot out into the cool air.
"Climb down and I'll drop down our gear to you." he says with in an urgent whisper
Hoom slinks silently across the floor to his bed and collects his backpack, armor and weapons and does the same with Mouser's gear that is not current in his possession.
He them moves over to the window to drop it the waiting thief.

OCC: Not picking up the caltrops or any other security devices set by Mouser.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey peers outside with his night vision. If the area is clear, he climbs down the wall, hides amid the shadows, waits for Hoom, then moves northwest into the woods.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent
(25).
Sometime between 2am and dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


After the noise from Baltus' room, a tense silence grows.

Mouser pulls their window up and peers out into the night, confirming that the coast is clear.

Image

He's suddenly struck in the face by a blast of crisp cold air, heavy with the smell of burning wood. But gone are the distant sounds of men shouting. To the east, dawn is coming; maybe an hour away.

Mouser goes out the window.

Hoom slinks across the floor and quickly collects their possessions, except Mouser's caltrops, and brings them to the open window.
Hoom: Please roll vs. Move Silently. Bonus: Please subtract 25 from your rolled number because you're in another room, situated above them. Thanks.

Mouser climbs down the outer wall of the Inn of the Slumbering Serpent.
When he reaches the bottom, he hides in the cold, dark shadows of the inn's walls and waits for Hoom.
Please roll against:
  • Climb Walls
  • Move Silently. Bonus: Please subtract 40 from your rolled number on MS because you're outside the house, climbing on its walls
  • Hide in Shadows. Bonus: Please subtract 40 from your rolled number on HS because its night and misty
Thanks.

Actions?


Image


Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:48 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Lawrenceville, GA

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:50 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent
(25).
An hour before dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


Hoom winces as the old floorboards of the decrepit inn creak under his weight. More ominous silence comes from below those very planks.

Mouser silently descends the exterior of the inn when, half way down, he suddenly comes off the wall! Mouser falls, crashing to the ground with a thud! The unlucky thief is unharmed, except for his dignity. He pulls himself up from the muddy grass and darts into the cold, dark shadows of the inn's north wall.

Mercifully he fell near the chimney, away from the ground floor's windows. But inside the inn, he hears Belba Cralloon bellow, "What was what?! I didn't hear anything!"

Hoom gets their gear to the open window of their room. His elven eyes see Mouser below, looking up expectantly.

Actions?

Attachment:
Inn of the Slumbering Serpent 10.jpg
Inn of the Slumbering Serpent 10.jpg [ 279.22 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]
Map scale: One square = 5 feet.


Image


Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:22 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Item by item Hoom drops the remaining gear to Mouser who is waiting below. He is sure to takes his time, making sure that each item carefully land silently within Grey's arms. When the last item is secured by his waiting companion. Hoom calls out to Mouser in a hushed voice.
"Take care of my tools and the silver key in my pack. Both are very special to me."
Then his head disappears from the open window as the panes of the glass join the bottom of the window sill shutting out the night. Quickly followed by the heavy drapes entombing his fate. Only a thin sliver separates the cloth to allow in the soft glow of moonlight.

Plot Twist! I bet you didn't see that coming.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey moves into the shadows, thinking the elf is crazy. He moves back far enough to still see the inn.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:35 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Grognardsw wrote:
Grey moves into the shadows, thinking the elf is crazy. He moves back far enough to still see the inn.

Back where, please? (Map below. You're in the center of building 25's northern wall.
Fyi, not appearing on this map is the old windmill in the center of the field to your NW.
If anyone exits the inn to investigate the noise of your crash, they will likely come from the front door; the northern end of the inn's eastern wall.)
Each square = 20 feet. Visibility is 100 feet.

Is Mouser trying to move quietly?
Fyi, movement will require a new Hide in Shadows roll when you stop, which I'll handle as per normal.
Dawn is coming.

Also, fyi, Hoom drops down all his possessions to you. Everything except the clothes on his back. 75 lbs worth of gear, including his weapons, spell book and leather armor. Please roll a Dex save on d20 if you try to catch it all.
Do you take it all with you? If yes, please let me know your new encumbrance and movement rate. Thanks.


Attachment:
Western Briarsgate Map.jpg
Western Briarsgate Map.jpg [ 287.17 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey catches and takes Hoom's belongings and melts away to the north. Hopefully in shadows and taking advantage of the limited visibility, Grey moves west and crosses into the hermit woods not stopping until he's hidden behind trees. He jams Hoom's 20 lbs of rations in branches, and continues west.

Dex. check [1d20] = 11. Yes

I didn't get the impression Hoom takes off his leather armor. Did you Hoom? If Grey saw him proceeding to do that, which would likely be last, he leaves with what he has. Can't wait around more than a round.

Minus the leather, I think he's somewhere between 70-85 lb and 9"

MS [1d100] = 72


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Inn of the Slumbering Serpent
(25).
Just before dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


Mouser leaves Hoom's armor and flees the dark shadows of the Slumbering Serpent Inn (25).

Image

He runs north, crossing the empty lane. Behind him, he hears the front door of the inn open and the tread of heavy mailed feet. At least two men, who don't speak. Their steps are quick.

Mouser hopes their footsteps mask the sounds he knows he is making, breaking north across the crunching dead leaves. The little thief doesn't stop and doesn't look back. He runs for his life, wondering if he'll make it, and if he'll ever see Hoom alive again.

The rogue sprints along the west side of a a prosperous barn (23). Several goats and an immense pig are penned nearby.
Someone is stirring within the barn! Dawn is coming and soon this entire farming community will be awake. And there will be no shadows to hide in then.

Mouser darts west across another open road and crosses into the eerie twilight grove of the strange old hermit, not stopping until he's hidden behind a stand of trees.

Image

He drops Hoom's heavy pack of venison into the brush, and continues west.

To the north, he sees the abandoned farm (24) he'd passed before; a well built house with all its windows and doors boarded up. Behind it, the barn's door swings freely in the breeze. Both are surrounded by tall, untended cornfields.

Image

In the center of the corn stands the abandoned windmill (NW of 24).

Attachment:
windmill.jpg
windmill.jpg [ 199.88 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

At the edge of the hermit's wood, Mouser pauses to catch his breath. He hears no sound except his racing heart.
He's had almost no sleep, and dawn's arrival is imminent.


Actions?


Map:
Attachment:
Western Briarsgate Map 1.jpg
Western Briarsgate Map 1.jpg [ 272.4 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]
One square = 20 feet. M marks Mouser's position. Lighter area marks visibility; all else is from memory.



Image


After Hoom drops all his worldly possessions out the window to Mouser, he shuts the window, moves the caltrops under the bed and waits.

He waits quietly, calmly. He hears noises outside his window. In time, he hears them outside his door. Footsteps. Whispering. His keyhole glows with light.

Suddenly his door flies open, quietly and quickly. Magistrate Ruskadel, Chief Constable Allard, Belba and Ollwin Cralloon, and the eldest son of the Miller are all there with candlesticks. Baltus is not.

Magistrate Grover Ruskadel is a tall man in banded mail with sharply intelligent eyes that seem always to be watching. It's rumored he was an Inquisitor and a Witchhunter in Hookhill for the Church of Heironeus.

Image

Chief Constable Donavan Allard is a sullen warrior in plate mail, a hero from the Goblin years with the reputation of a dangerous, fell-handed soldier.

Image

Both have longswords drawn.

Magistrate Ruskadel sneers with pleasure, “No elves here, you say, madam? Chief Constable, arrest this arsonist! And the innkeepers who are harboring him.”

If Hoom attempts to speak, the Magistrate barks viciously, "Silence, fiend! We are all well-versed in Elves and their black magick. You'll not ensorcel us, witch! Of that, I can assure you."

"Turn around and put your hands behind your back," growls Constable Allard. "Speak and I'll gag you."

"Is this the man you saw?" Ruskadel demands of the Miller's eldest boy.

"Y-yes, sir," he replies earnestly as Belba Cralloon softly weeps.

The Magistrate says, "Well done. It would appear, at long last, we've apprehended the culprits behind the troubles of Briarsgate!"


Actions?
Dads, we'll now move Hoom's story to your private IC forum. Please reply there. Thanks.


Image


Status:
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 3, HP 7/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Grey Mouser, thief

Grey moves south into the trees 20' for best concealment as he rests and ponders Hoom's actions. He wonders what the elf is up to. He'll certainly be caught. Does he plan to infiltrate the enemy from the inside? Grey shakes his head in doubt.

Grey figures the others have by now made their way out of the tunnels into the graveyard, as he suspected from the beginning. Where would they go? The only safe places were outside Briarsgate in the abandoned farmhouse, or at the hermit's house in the nearby forest. Preferring to leave this town, Grey decides to make for the farmhouse. He follows the safest, most concealing route.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:42 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
Village of Briarsgate, The Strange Hermit's Wood.

Just before dawn, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


Now to stitch you back into the timeline. :)


Mouser sets out for the abandoned farm of the hanged family. Keeping off the road, the sleepless city slicker gets lost in the countryside, not recognizing these unfamiliar, misty territories in daylight.

Image

Image

At one point on his journey, Mouser's path leads him near a farmer working in his field. Not wanting to be seen, the thief hides behind a thick old tree, sits against it to bide his time, and soon passes out in exhaustion. He awakens after dark, alone. The farmer is gone. Rested, Mouser begins to recognize his moonlit surroundings and makes his way, cross country, to the group's secret place of refuge, leagues east of Briarsgate.

Image

Image

Mouser makes it there without being spotted, he believes.
It's after sundown and the place is deserted. But it's also clear the others have been here recently. They yet live.
He finds a mug in the center of a table, stuffed and 'bubbling over' with dry straw, which he takes as a secret signal for the Foaming Mug Inn.


Actions?


Image


Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: AC 5, HP 10/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl

Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am
Posts: 9207
Location: ImagiNation
Mouser hides Hoom's equipment under some floorboards, keeping the enchanted thieves tools. While eating some rations, he opens the elf's spellbook and peruses the dweomers. (Can new spells be learned this way?)

Grey thinks about Hoom's predicament, and where he is likely to find the elf imprisoned. After some time of study and rest, the rogue takes out Cat's Claw and gives himself a rough shave. The thief sighs, not happy with going again into the cursed town. Not at all.

The thief equips, looks out the windows in all directions to make sure the area is clear, and exits the backdoor. He walks in the woods, paralleling the road away from Briarsgate, leaving the evil village to its fate.

After an hour of walking, Grey's conscious gets the better of him. He turns around, walking back all the way to Briarsgate. He stops in the woods at the outskirts, watching for townsfolk out and about, mapping the sneakiest way to get to the Foaming Mug Inn.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:43 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9643
Location: 1977
Day Six.
The Abandoned Farm of the Hanged Family, outside Briarsgate.

After sunset, Friday, October 21st, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.



Image


Image

At the abandoned farm of the hanged family, Mouser packs his things and flees Briarsgate.

Against his better judgment, he reluctantly changes his mind and takes the twilight journey back to the village of the damned.

Image

He already regrets his decision.

To be continued in... Chapter 8: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AleBelly, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group