It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:27 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias looks towards the mirror, using the power of Heironeus to determine whether it...and/or the voice...are evil.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9339
Location: 1977
DM:

The young paladin of Hookhill opens his mind's perception and instantly staggers back at the sudden sharp onslaught of overwhelming malevolence assailing his senses like an unexpected bludgeon to the teeth.

Beset, reeling, violated; Pelias cannot look directly at the profane, bloodstained altar. It, the heinous sculpture of the abomination, and the thick tome in Mouser's eager hands each exude an incalculable evil that is too painful for his soul to behold.

Turning away to recover his strength, Pelias focuses upon the downturned mirror and finds with merciful relief the looking glass does not emanate a supernatural wickedness of that unimaginable scale.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 4151
I do not fathom the evil keepers of this place would keep one of their own in a mirror.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 1017
Urdur takes the fiery orange solvent, adding it to his pack for later examination.

He joins the others at the mirror. In the gnomish tongue, he asks Telkis, "Do you think we can trust it?"

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14718
"We cannot let fear of evil stop us from doing good" is Grothnak's epigram.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"How would you help us?" asks Pelias, feeling quite silly talking to the back of a mirror.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2916
Pip stays his hand, and his tongue, while Pelias talks to the mirror, but he holds his quarterstaff ready to smash it if the interaction should turn awful. As far as he's concerned, the mirror should stay face down, so the appearance of whatever this is doesn't sway our decision about it...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2421
SocraticLawyer wrote:
Urdur takes the fiery orange solvent, adding it to his pack for later examination.

He joins the others at the mirror. In the gnomish tongue, he asks Telkis, "Do you think we can trust it?"
In their common tongue, Telkis replies "I thought you magic types would know.... I haven't got the faintest clue. I'd hate to leave a good soul trapped in there, if that's what it is. But I'd also like to avoid releasing some new evil." He grips Cranach and prepares for the worst.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

The cleric cautions against trusting whatever is speaking from the mirror. With everything else in this room clearly dedicated to evil of the most vile and profane order, I cannot believe that a mirror would somehow magically hold a good creature or spirit that would be willing and able to help us. I fear it is some foul trick that should be ignored.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:04 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1656
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

"Come now Grey. The others are busy with the mirror. We have time. Open the book and let us see."

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser smiles mischievously at Hoom. "Why not? A quick peek!" Remembering the queasy feeling he got when handling it, he'll use his cloak to handle it further and his dagger to pry open the cover.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9339
Location: 1977
Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Afternoon. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image




Beneath the weeping stalactites, before the ghastly altar of the nameless abomination, Long Bo returns from the craggy shaft and whispers, "I've found more ropes... a way down."

Urdur takes the fiery orange concoction from the dilapidated shelf and moves to the looking glass where Pip stays his hand as Pelias says to the down-turned mirror: "How would you help us?"

From beneath the mirror, the eerie, distorted voice of a woman softly wails, pathetic and wretched: "Pplleeeeeaaassee... leeett... mmeeeeee... jjuuusssstt... ...llooooookkk... ...uuppoooonn... ...yyoooouu....
"...Iiiii... ...bbeeeeggg... ...yyooooouu... ...Iiiittt... ...hhaaaass... ...bbeeeeenn... ...ssooooo... ...lloooonnngg..."


Meanwhile, Mouser picks up the hideous tome. He finds it heavier than it looks. His queasiness grows. The reckless, magic-dabbling thief and Hoom the impetuous elf open the volume together and look within.

Ancient, unspeakable blasphemies and impossible yet incontrovertible truths flood their minds, altering them forever.



The relentless alien piping drones louder in their ears alone.

Hoom and Mouser, please both Save vs Spells on 1d20. Your Wisdom score's magical attack adjustment should be factored into this save.
Regardless of the result, each of you please also roll 1d100 twice. Thanks.



Actions?!


Map:

One square = 10 feet. Z = the undead. C5 = Pelias' unconscious, bound captive.

Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
PCs are near the red "X." The oozing horror is at "O." A dead cultist is at "C."



Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
"Fools!" hisses Pelias as Hoom and Mouser open the tome. The paladin maneuvers himself so that he does not see the contents of the book, but he readies the pommel of his sword to subdue his companions if they begin to act strangely.

"The mirror will stay face down" he says flatly to the others.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser the Impetuous prys the cover open and....

Save vs. Spells (12)[1d20] = 7

As requested:
[1d100] = 37
[1d100] = 1

that HAS to be good, right!?!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2916
Attention being drawn from the mirror to the foolish mages, Pip lifts his staff again to smash the mirror and be rid of the distraction. Before bringing down the staff, he pauses for one last interaction with the mirror... "Plead your case... what are you, and what are you doing in the mirror...?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8055
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
drpete wrote:
Attention being drawn from the mirror to the foolish mages, Pip lifts his staff again to smash the mirror and be rid of the distraction. Before bringing down the staff, he pauses for one last interaction with the mirror... "Plead your case... what are you, and what are you doing in the mirror...?"


"Perhaps you could consider staying your hand, friend." says Pelias. "Maybe whatever is in the mirror is best left there."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 4151
agreed leave the mirror and the book and let's move on


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2916
Pip nods impatiently to Pelias. "We are here to put an end to these dark powers, I know that, and won't free this without cause. What's going on with Heckyl and Jeckyl over there...?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 am 
Online
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13617
Location: Packerland
Bo is startled and confused when he returns to see that once again, caution has been thrown to the 4 winds.

Hearing the pleas from beyond the magic mirror does not make him feel any better about the situation. Seeing the thieves doing what thieves do is less surprising. He keeps a close eye on Hoom who he still doesn't trust in the least.

"Perhaps the entity in the mirror is supposed to help us in some way down here?"

He turns to the paladin and speaks towards the mirror.

"Tell us of your plight, mirror. Do you have a name?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:19 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1656
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Save vs Spell (12) [1d20] = 11
[1d100] = 60
[1d100] = 77

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group