It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 1014
Urdur recovers his daggers from the body of the zombie before following the others further in.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13595
Location: Packerland
Bo

If at all possible, Bo will drag the bodies into the northern alcove and conceal them as best he can before following along with the others.

"No point in leaving behind a blood trail for them to follow."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1655
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Hoom lingers over the body of Praetorius the jeweler. "Pity, the question continues to go unanswered." he says before continuing with the group forward.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9303
Location: 1977
Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Afternoon. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image


In the cold, dank cave under the marsh, the heroes advance with trepidation to the enticing melody of distant, eldritch flutes.



As Urdur recovers daggers from the rotten chest of an unspeakably disfigured thrall, Telkis examines the muddy rock walls and finds them completely unsafe. Swamp water continues to rain down from the severe stalactites, weakening the subterranean chasm's integrity.

Pleading to the Shalm, Long Bo tries to heal Telkis with his rapidly waning magic (+2hp). Then the grey druid joins the others as they quietly peer around the cave's northern corner. Bo searches for a suitable place to move the heinously mangled corpses of the undead victims. He finds one...

The tight channel opens into a large, dimly torchlit cave that seems to serve as chapel, torture chamber, alchemy laboratory and operating theater. While devoid of life, the horrific sights here inflict upon the cautious intruders a sense of unease and nausea.

Near the southern wall, a profane altar covered with blood looms before another lifelike statue of the blasphemous monstrosity.



This loathsome depiction of the ghastly abomination is much larger than the other graven images previously encountered.

All the altar's surfaces are engraved with more of the frenetic writings witnessed within Briarsgate's church of horrors.



Except here, the medium of those profane inscriptions isn't bile, vomit, urine, blood and excrement. It's gold.

Atop the scarlet altar rest many insidious implements of torment, each coated with fresh bright blood.



Flanking the abhorrent sculpture and the sacrilegious altar are a gigantic diptych of free-standing murals that obscure the southern wall. Beautifully rendered in colors lurid and obscene, they depict many startlingly lifelike demons. One of the demons is a bloated humanoid with goat legs and head, another is a great hideous spider with a woman’s screaming head, another is a two-headed baboon with writhing tentacle arms, and another is a nude beautiful woman with the claws and head of a lobster. All are shown bowing before the loathsome statue of the nameless horror.

Against the eastern wall is a dilapidated wooden shelf holding one large book and many moldy bottles and jars.

Beside it is a stand of dead candles.



From the tunnel to the west comes the constant dull roar of the putrid swamp waterfall pouring down the central maw of the rank sinkhole.

An ornate, full length mirror stands near the tunnel, before the cavern's western wall.




Actions?


Map:

One square = 10 feet. Z = the undead. C5 = Pelias' unconscious, bound captive.

Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
PCs' front rank is near the red "X." The oozing horror is at "O." A dead cultist is at "C."



Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2472
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser shakes his head at the demonic images before him. He opens and closes his eyes to try an un-see them. The blood, the filth, the horror. Something, in reality, he'll never be ever able to truly forget. Not one to shirk away form opportunity however, he steers clear of the mirror in uncertainty, and makes for the shelf with the book and looks that over as best he can before taking it from the shelf to examine further.

Whispering "Candles, a book, an altar? With that demonic portrait and that mirror - some type of summoning may be at work here. Something to keep in mind as we delve deeper into this lair..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2416
”Be careful, guys,” says Telkis, ”I guess you don’t need a gnome to tell you this place isn’t structurally sound.” He’ll move over against the northern wall nearer the tunnel leading to the main sinkhole to stand guard while th others investigate, taking care not to look into the mirror.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1655
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Hoom Feethos:

Right behind Mouser, Hoom Feethos is close at hand. He is also interested in the tome upon the shelf. Hoping to replace his own that was careless left behind when he was abducted. "Light these candles Grey so we can see what is written upon these pages better."

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14673
Grothank stands on watch, waiting for the next fight. It cannot be far away, in this place.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm 
Online
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8037
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
Pelias gives Brevos a hearty pat on the back. "Thank you, friend. Both for slaying my foe, and for putting these tortured abominations to rest."

The sight of the blasphemous altar troubles the paladin. He looks for a tapestry or cloth to cover the mirror. Failing that, he will smash the mirror with the pommel of his sword and look behind the mirror. If there is nothing interesting, he will follow the others wherever they choose to go next.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13595
Location: Packerland
After saying a silent prayer to the Shalm over the deformed dead, Bo shakes his head in disgust at all the horrific sights in the next room, certain something deranged is at work in these muddy halls.

He prods at the ground and wall in front of him as he walks west into the room, following close to the north wall all the way to the sink hole. If he sees the paladin about to smash anything, he speaks up.

"We should limit the loud noises we make to emergencies only, good Pelias. They may not yet know we are in here and, even if they do, we don't need to give up our location if it isn't necessary."

He will help the man cover or turn the mirror, avoiding looking directly at it, placing it face down in the mud, if that satisfies the holy warrior.

He then has a good look around the sinkhole, searching for any other passages or rope ladders.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
Posts: 4150
Brevos nods to the paladin.

He recoils in horror at first sight of the demonic walls and altar.

This is a cursed abomination on nature itself.

He will nock an arrow nd cover the hallway in case something tries to enter.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm 
Online
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 8037
Location: Research Triangle Park, NC
OGRE MAGE wrote:
After saying a silent prayer to the Shalm over the deformed dead, Bo shakes his head in disgust at all the horrific sights in the next room, certain something deranged is at work in these muddy halls.

He prods at the ground and wall in front of him as he walks west into the room, following close to the north wall all the way to the sink hole. If he sees the paladin about to smash anything, he speaks up.

"We should limit the loud noises we make to emergencies only, good Pelias. They may not yet know we are in here and, even if they do, we don't need to give up our location if it isn't necessary."

He will help the man cover or turn the mirror, avoiding looking directly at it, placing it face down in the mud, if that satisfies the holy warrior.

He then has a good look around the sinkhole, searching for any other passages or rope ladders.


Pelias turns to Bo just as he is about to smash the mirror. "Bo, I appreciate your level head." Face down in the mud is just fine with the paladin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 1014
Urdur examines the book with Mouser. He checks the jars for spell components or anything useful. He also examines the golden writings, trying to determine whether any part of them contains phantasmal inscriptions.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm
Posts: 2537
Location: Oregon, WI
Ingrid Esthof

Seeing the images in this room greatly disturbs the cleric. This...is an abomination that cannot be allowed. Taking her waterskin in one hand, her holy symbol in the other, Ingrid begins praying quietly. After a few minutes, she splashes water from the skin on the altar, statue, and mural. This is not proper holy water; I have neither the necessary implements nor the ability currently to consecrate this, but I hope that it will do some good. I cannot allow these obscenities to remain undisturbed. They are affronts to all right-thinking people, and abhorrent to those who serve a holy power of good. Ideally, we would destroy them, but obviously the noise would alert our enemies to our presence.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13595
Location: Packerland
Bo whispers his approval to the holy members of the group.

"My friends, you are as wise as you are brave! There will be plenty of time to torch and smash every vile thing in this place, once we have killed whoever is behind these atrocities."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 2908
Pip goes over to the group forming with the book. "Very quickly, gentlemen. Take it with. We can read it once we're clear. Or burn it, maybe."

Pip will then go over to the mirror. Once it is face down on the ground, Pip will smash it in with his (somewhat holy?) quarterstaff, trying to break the glass.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 9303
Location: 1977
Within the Hell Mouth, the Rushmoors, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Ten. Afternoon. Tuesday, October 25th, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, foggy



Image




In the vile subterranean cavern of nameless dread, the heroes look with fear and loathing upon a sickening tableau of unimaginable depravity and evil.

Brevos, Grothnak and Telkis stand stoically against the northern wall, on guard against whatever blasphemous horror was next to emerge from the shadows of this unspeakable nightmare realm.

Hoom, Mouser, Pip and Urdur tread softly into the chapel of abominations toward the old shelf. Mouser takes up the lone book and examines its exterior.

Image

The great thick tome is bound in human flesh with fittings of tarnished brass. Upon its spine are golden letters that read, in the familiar alphabet of the Common Tongue, “That Which Shall Be.” Mouser feels a slight queasiness.

Urdur checks the moldy bottles and jars on the ramshackle shelf. They hold incense, filthy water, dung, bones, dried blood, powders, liquids, and other unidentifiable things. One prominent bottle contains a thick solvent that is fiery orange in color instead of the muddy yellows, greens and browns of the other liquids.

The dark gnome glances to the altar, scanning the blood-stained inscriptions of gold. They are of a language he does not comprehend.

Long Bo stops Pelias from shattering the ornate mirror for fear of alerting the denizens of this wicked underworld. Instead the pair slowly lower the looking glass face down onto the muddy ground, careful not to gaze upon its reflective surface.
Then Long Bo creeps down the dark western tunnel to the main shaft of the sinkhole.



The grey druid finds a thick, knotted rope spiked to the rock floor, trailing down the Hell Mouth into pitch darkness. The rush of the fetid waterfall in the shaft almost drowns out the fiendish piping. But the revolting stench seems stronger here.

Ingrid voices reverent orisons to Trithereon as she sprays common water upon the ghastly altar, statue, and mural. The spray forms rivulets of mud and blood that trickle down the perverse obscenities to Man and God.

Pip joins Pelias at the downward-facing mirror. The young monk raises his quarterstaff over his head to shatter the mirror when the strange murmur of a voice emanates from beneath it! The vocalization is distant, smeared, blurred.
“Nnnooo… pleeeeaassssse…” moans the echoing voice of a pleading young woman from under the mirror. “Iiiiii.... wooouuuuulld... heelllllllpp... yooooooouu…”


Actions?!


Map:

One square = 10 feet. Z = the undead. C5 = Pelias' unconscious, bound captive.

Cutaway View:

West is left. East is right.
PCs are near the red "X." Bo is at "B." The oozing horror is at "O." A dead cultist is at "C."



Image


PC Status:
    Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/27
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 9/15, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/28
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 17/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 11/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 23/30, Spells: 1/6 1st lvl, 1/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 3: Move: 6", AC: 2(0), HP: 19/30, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Pip, Human Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 9, HP: 11/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 17/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 9/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2472
Location: Pennsylvania
Mouser puts the book in his pack for later examination - this isn't the time or the place as eager as he is to look through it. Hearing the low moaning voice from the muddy mirror, "What the hell was that?..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14673
Grothnak continues to stand guard.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2416
Telkis starts at the sound of the muffled voice. ”Is it a good entity trapped in the mirror, or an evil one trying to trick us?” he says.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AleBelly and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group