OOC II

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: OOC II

#81 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Im moving this civil conversation over here so the game thread doesn't get too mucked up.
OGRE MAGE wrote:Ok, I will admit that might have been a little harsh Storm but, it's always been my opinion that there is a reason a paladin gets all those fancy powers over the normal fighter.

Paladin's are supposed to be held to higher fighting standard. Paladin's are supposed to LEAD the fight to the enemy. A true paladin would NEVER use a ranged weapon over charging into battle. They would also NEVER let someone else lead the charge into melee while they stood back where they thought it was safe and fired arrows.

I guess Thomas isn't really acting like a paladin necessarily. But he does seem far less afraid of being hurt.

If I'm way off base with this thinking, someone please let me know! I'd like to hear others opinions about this.

Whats a numpty? :lol:
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Storm11 wrote:i think in all honesty I don't agree with you here. A paladin doesn't have to be stupid unless he is a Cavalier Paladin. Tactics and smarts are the meat and drink of the holy warrior. If someone else wants to foolishly rush in and take on hand to hand enemies that clearly are out of our league then that's their business. You told me off earlier for following the clerics foolish rush into the gatehouse as reckless and dangerous to us all as it was, and it resulted in a member of our group biting the dust. If the paladin wasn't supposed to utilise ranged weapons then he or she wouldn't have been able to learn them or have them as a weapon choice IMO. Now some of us are engaged in melee it seriously curtails our options and puts us at a much greater danger than is necessary in my view. We can use powerful area of effect spells to our advantage anymore for instance. Wyntar failed his save vs breath weapon and now risks losing all his items, magical and otherwise if they also fail saves because of it. The cleric was hit by a Giants weapon. By rights his shield should have to save vs crushing blow. It's lunacy to rush in to melee combat. That's no good solidiers first call, and doing so encourages others to put themselves in harms way also backing up their mistakes. A paladin will be the first to meet the enemy if they charge the company, or the last to leave the field if there is a retreat, but refusing to use good ranged tactics over ridiculously outclassed melee for some notion of "honour" That in my opinion is lawful stupid not lawful good. Am happy to lose the paladin status here if you feel strongly enough about it, but Halo won't be changing the way he approaches combat. We should have laid down snare traps and glyphs along the track whilst unseen before getting to engage the Giants, penned a few in and taken them out a few at a time from a distance with spells and missiles and melee'd with them only when necessary.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Inferno »

Hi,
Because you asked:

Ogre Mage:
Paladins are permitted to use ranged weapons. I don't think Halo's done anything wrong.
We're all charging and invisible, so how could Halo have known that the rest of the party would keep charging after we all agreed to spell attacks, then missile, then melee. He was acting according to the agreed upon plan. Next turn, I would expect him to close with our foes, per that plan.

I think the paladin gets fancy powers because he doesn't get weapon specializations, must act LG, has restrictions against magic items and wealth, and must burn his best stat on Charisma. :)

If you disagree and thought Halo was acting un-paladinish, then dock him some experience points, rather than alter physics because of his moral failings. ;)

I'd also add that including editorial comments of a judgmental nature within your narration unintentionally leads to: a) hurt feelings, and b) taking the reader right out of the mood of the game. I think I know you well enough to know you're a nice guy and don't intend to give offense. But you asked, so I respectfully offer that constructive criticism, the only criticism I have for your great games! :D

Storm (and everyone):
Respectfully, I don't think we're dead yet. Your plan is working.
The giants have devastating missile weapon boulders, so staying in a ranged combat isn't sustainable. Also, the giants could elect to close with us.
Yes, one-on-one fighting against a giant is dangerous, but we outnumber them, we've successfully cut them off from the cave, and we have the dwarves. (OM, where are the dwarves on your map, please?)

We also have many fighters with crazy swords against cold and evil (Halo included). Electing to exclude those deadly magic swords, and the dwarven warriors, from our arsenal is a mistake in my opinion. So we must engage in melee combat. Xano just did 40+ damage to a giant if I read that correctly. Xano can't do that at range.

AOE spells aren't out of the question this round. A Fireball placed just past the two frost giants at the boulder pile would work.
A Lightning Bolt could get all three giants, who were kind enough to stand in a straight line for us.
Stinking Cloud could catch the giants by the boulder pile, and maybe confound the wolves' sense of smell.

Take heart!
Also, I'm a fan of Halo and Castran. Really enjoy reading your stuff. :)

Wyntar, if you could please fire an offensive spell this round, it would help end this fight asap. Fireball or Stinking Cloud maybe, as per the above? Pleease?? :)
Blodget has healing magic for you if you get hurt.

Mira, do you have any spells to confuse the wolves' sense of smell? Otherwise they can locate the invisible. Thanks. :)

Morgi, can you actually charm a giant with Charm Person or Mammal? If yes, the charmed giant could order the wolves back, and attack another giant. If no, Charming a Wolf would lose us a foe and gain us an ally.

Just some thoughts, for what they're worth.
Any other thoughts, anyone?

Best,
Inferno
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'd also add that including editorial comments of a judgmental nature within your narration unintentionally leads to: a) hurt feelings, and b) taking the reader right out of the mood of the game. I think I know you well enough to know you're a nice guy and don't intend to give offense.
I think that this might be the best advice I've ever read on here.

I am obviously joking when I do that but, I guess I never realized that others might not take it that way.

Thanks Inferno! I will definitely keep that in mind from now on.

I have ALWAYS played that Paladins only used ranged weapons if absolutely necessary but, I'm definitely open to changing my thinking about it.

Thanks for the great input so far and my apologies if anyone was offended by my stupid attempts at humor in the past.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Storm11 »

Inferno wrote:
Take heart!
Also, I'm a fan of Halo and Castran. Really enjoy reading your stuff. :)

Best,
Inferno
Cheers dude. I appreciate that a ton thanks. Feeling is mutual. :) Good times
Greys Campaign.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dram wrote:Are the wolves giant types I will condense my attack info if so
Giant types?
No, they are winter wolves.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#88 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dram wrote:Xano- Grunts in pain from the arrow in her shoulder. Someone is a horrible shot or we have a enemy within our ranks. Xano's Flaming long sword ignites as it is swung at the Frost Giant that went after Thomas. Brother Thomas let me show my flame.

+3 Flaming L. Sword atk#1 +3 Flaming L. Sword atk#2
Flame+3L.Swordtohit[1d20+5] = 16+5 = 21,todam sm[1d8+5] = 8+5 = 13,todamlg[1d12+5] = 9+5 = 14, norm fire dam [1d6] = 5, fire vs cold [2d6] = 9

To dam Sm vs cold users Fire Dam= 22HP Damage
To dam Lg vs Cold Users Fire Dam= 23Hp Dam

To dam Sm vs cold users Fire Dam= Total Dam= 41HP Damage
To dam Lg vs Cold Users Fire Dam= Total Dam= 42 Hp Dam
OCC- Are the wolves giant types I will condense my attack info if so
Also......did you go up a level when I wasn't looking? :lol:
Why are you taking 2 attacks per round? At 6th level you still only get one per round.
Or, do I have that wrong too? :lol:
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Dram »

Nope you are correct. When I was building my character I was going to make a 7th fighter, But I made her 6th. :roll: I will correct on next melee.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Inferno »

Thanks, OM and Storm.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I apologize to the players who are posting regularly. This is supposed to be an every other day post rate but we seem to be constantly having problems with that.

I realize that RL kicks us all in the head once in a while, making it difficult to post often, but I feel like this game is slowing down to the point of no return.

From now on, if your action isn't posted within 48 hours or so, your character will be NPC'd. I don't think the people who are trying to keep the action moving deserve the lack of participation we have been seeing lately. If you know you won't be able to post for a while, please make up some default actions if you are not happy with what I come up with.

Sorry if that offends anyone but, I seem to have little choice in the matter. Unless someone has a better idea, this will go into affect very soon.

Thanks.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Totally my fault, and I apologize to everyone, this past whole week has been far too crazy.

The past few weeks we've been a bit understaffed with summer vacations so it's getting harder and harder to find enough time to read and then post...

I have no problems at all with being NPC'd if I can't make the deadline, so don't feel bad about doing it and I'm sure you all know Thomas's MO by now :lol: ;)
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hahaha!

Ya, his action is NOT hard to predict. :D

I'm not upset at all about it, I just need to try to keep things moving.

I will npc when necessary.

Thanks.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'm at a gaming con in Milwaukee all weekend and then Summerfest tonight so, I won't get a chance to put together this rounds results until tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Inferno »

Have fun!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok

I have decided that it is just a bit unrealistic for me to expect a post every other day when there are 9 players in the group.

I'm still having fun running this game, even if it is a little slow.

From now on, just post when you can and I will quit whining about the game slowing down too much.

I will still NPC an absentee but, don't sweat it if you can't post as often as I'd like. With it being summer now, I have a lot of other things to do as I'm sure the rest of you do as well. A couple of posts a week will be just fine.

Thanks!
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by greyarea »

Agreed.

Should we have default actions in case you need to NPC, Ogre?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#99 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I don't require default actions but I'm ok if you want to post them.

I will usually try to do what makes the most sense at the time.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Dram »

I will be on a family vacay in the great north possibly till Monday. I will post if I got signal
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”