Death in the Depths

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Death in the Depths

#121 Post by greyarea »

Trotter helps with the gathering of the loot.
Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#123 Post by Hotgoblin »

Wyntar is appalled at some of his "friends" actions.You are all pathetic, we've pretty much let two entire races of beings die and now you're going to let Lachlian go off by himself, so you can take "his" treasure? Whether it's his or Yesorkh's it matters not, it is greed!!! He heads off behind the giant. Lachlian, I will help you search!!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#124 Post by OGRE MAGE »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (450.1 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Much to Wyntar's disliking, Morgi and a few others go back down to the treasure room, finding a lot of it. (tbc)

The rest of the group follows the giant as he searches for his children. Their findings are rather grim, again proving just how much damage Yesorkh was able to inflict, not only to this poor family of giants, but to most of the surrounding lands as well.

The first stop is in a huge room (19) containing a 30 foot long dragon skeleton surrounded by a few copper coins scattered around the floor. The things bones looked to be picked clean, some have even been gnawed on. Lachlan cries out when he sees it. Flavius! No! It is true then! I'm so sorry my friend!

Lachlan sadly tells you that one of his earliest memories after being possessed is coming in here and strangling his own lifelong family pet to death. I.....I.......I just couldn't stop myself from doing it! The demons power over me was too strong!

He rushes across the hall to another room and barges inside. (16) Here lie two huge spotted lions that look to be very near death. Lachlan concentrates on the floor of the room and the cloud material begins to condense into a liquid. The lions lap up the water savagely, hopefully indicating that they can still be saved.

The giant then runs over to the final room next door, (17) praying that his intuition is wrong. Inside this grisly chamber are the remains of his three children. His son Achim and youngest daughter Maira are chained to one wall, their unmoving mouths are covered with a black goo. Against another wall is the mutilated and rotting corpse of his eldest daughter, Annushka.

The giant drops to his knees and begins weeping hysterically into his massive hands. His tears are like a rainstorm hitting the floor.

Actions?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (602.67 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
1 square = 20 feet
*= new addition

4: Nursery (ogres and top)
5: Music Room (Silsellay, magic harp)
6: Main Hall (huge bloody table and chairs)
7: Nasty Alchemy Lab (boiling black goo)
8: *Herb Garden (tangled jungle of dead plants)
9: *Kitchen (utterly destroyed/discarded silver dragon)
10: Foyer (potted plants)
11: *Courtyard
12: *Servants Quarters (destroyed/severed aarakocra head on table)
13: Filthy Barracks (stinks of wet fur and feces)
14: *Bedroom (destroyed)

15: *Cellar (all contents destroyed)
16: *Spotted Lions Den (pair of lions left to die)
17: *Torture Chamber (Lachlan's imprisoned/dead children)
18: * Manticore lair (empty)
19: *Dragons lair (dead silver dragon)
20: Huge Storage Room (all contents destroyed)
21: *Temple (desecrated and destroyed)
22: *Crypt

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (331.79 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Hotgoblin

#125 Post by Hotgoblin »

Wyntar

Lachlian, your two children may not be dead!! Check if they're still breathing...place your hand in front of their nose, is there a breeze?...I've seen this black goo before in the alchemy lab, perhaps it is a poison. Where is the Druid when we need him?
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Storm11 »

Halo moves into the chamber and to the children, feeling their wrists for a life beat.
Greys Campaign.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Inferno »

Blodget, halfling thief:

The foolish young hobbit, thoroughly admonished, hangs his little head in shame and returns the treausre that rightfully belongs to the Cloud Giant. Except for maybe a shiny gem or two.

He scurries to the others and when they find the chained children of Lachlian, he humbly offers his ring of regeneration. "Here, big sir, if you please! Maybe... it might be of some service?"

Great game, OM. And great modification to the module's end.
Thanks!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Dram »

Xano turns back and follows Wyntar to follow Lachlian. Remove that stuff off their mouths if they yet live.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by tkrexx »

Yes, Blodget! Mira grants the foolish young Hobbit a bright smile. Your ring! Who says you are a "Foolish Young Hobbit!" You are the wisest and most noble among us! She will stand guard until all who have gone to eradicate any remaining enemies return, at which time she will immediately begin studying what remains of her tome, and adapting the unused spells of her Sacred Scroll to her own diminished arsenal.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Storm11 »

its been fun thank you Ogre Mage.
Greys Campaign.
Hotgoblin

#131 Post by Hotgoblin »

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this module, it was awesome!!! :mrgreen:
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#132 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The 30 foot tall whimpering giant hears the words of Wyntar and Blodget and rushes towards Halo at the side of his smallest children. After realizing that they are both still alive, the giant’s tears stop flowing and he rejoices that at least two of his prodigy yet live. He snaps them free of their chains with his bare hands and gently lays them down to rest. The black goo around their mouths that Wyntar had seen before was indeed a poison made by Yesorkh in her laboratory. It was intended to keep them asleep and near death so they would provide as little resistance as possible.

The not so foolish young hobbit sneaks over to the rotting body of the giant’s oldest daughter and places his prized magical ring upon her huge finger. Her body slowly begins to regenerate. Before long all three of his children make full recoveries, pleasing the giant dearly. He tells the party that they are welcome to take any of the items or valuables from his treasury that they want as a reward for saving him and what is left of his family. Once the group heads back upstairs, they see that the castle is now fully beginning to take on its once beautiful brilliant white color again. All of the dark clouds that plagued this mountainous region are beginning to lift and fade away. The sun begins to shine through the overcast and the light blue skies begin to brighten up everyone’s moods.

Eventually, Achim reluctantly mentions that he and his sister were playing with a large black gem that they found hidden deep inside of the treasure vault. They did not realize at the time that this particular gem was the very one that Devral used to trap the soul of Yesorkh, giving it to the cloud giants to keep safe. Over all of those long years, the significance of the thing was simply forgotten about. While they were playing, the gem took a topple off of the cloud that they were on and fell all the way to the earth, breaking open and releasing the evil Yesorkh to reek her havoc upon the entire area. Not knowing that the gem was anything special, they never mentioned this calamity to their father.

Thankfully for them, the party was able to overcome their many hardships and eventually defeated the evil black snow demon once and for all. A hero’s feast is ordered and after the cleanup of the castle is complete, Lachlan asks you all if there is anywhere special that you would like him to bring you. He agrees to deliver you anywhere that you would like to go. (within reason) He also gives you a large ivory colored magical gem. This gem can be used to call upon the giant and his castle whenever the party finds themselves in a time of great need. He will then offer them aid and help out in any way that he can.

So ends this quest to free the Cloudscape mountain range of its terrible oppressor.

Very nicely done to one and all!!! Please go ahead and ask if you have any questions or concerns about the adventure. Thanks.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#133 Post by OGRE MAGE »

THANK YOU all for playing and I hope it was an enjoyable game!!!

I would really appreciate any and all feedback on how you felt that this game was run. Since this was my very first attempt at running a PbP game, I personally have some mixed feelings about how it turned out. However, I do strive to make my games as fun and enjoyable as possible, not just for myself but, for everyone involved. If there is something that you thought could have been run better, please don’t be afraid to speak out about it.

Seriously, any feedback in this case will be good feedback, even if it is something that you don’t think I want to hear. I am more than willing to work on my faults to try to improve the quality of my games. Along those same lines……If there were certain things that you thought were run very well, I would love to hear about that too.

I am also more than willing to critique each of you as players if any of you would like to know my feelings about your particular style. If you want to hear what I think you could do (if anything) to improve your play, I would be happy to share my thoughts on that. We can do that publically or privately, whichever you prefer. Just let me know.

Thanks again!
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Dram »

Ogre Mage you done a awesome job. I did not see flaws in your GM'ing I would play with you anytime. Please PM me with your critiques. I am not the greatest player. So please pass your wisdom onto me so that I may improve as a player.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Inferno »

I had a fun time. I like your DM-ing style. Thanks again for running the game!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by Nuke66 »

I too thought you did a wonderful job. Keeping things moving and glossing over the slow spots. Perfect for PbP. I'm not so sure I did the right thing with Morgi and the Call Lightning delaying his participation inside, but hell, it worked out.

I'd be willing to keep playing him but I do recognize the difficulties on high level campaigns. A good mid-level module with new characters would be ok too, I like your play style Ogre Mage. but where is the LOOT!
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by tkrexx »

HELL of a game!! I agree with Nuke that your style of "Glossing" the slow parts allows a more function-able pbp game. I'd not played this mod before, which was part of the original appeal, along with mid-level PCs. :) You managed a large party like a pro, something that ain't always easy.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#138 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks for the niceties everyone! I am glad to hear that it was an enjoyable time.

As far as the loot goes…..

The giant’s treasury held:

A scroll filled with cleric spells.
+2 Leather armor.
Bracers of Defense. (AC4)
3 Javelins of Lightning.
+2 Large shield.
2- +1 Shields.
3000gp
2500ep
20000sp
1250pp
A platinum casket (2000gp) filled with gems. 50- 75gp gems.
Exotic wine, silk, furs, spices, and fine clothing. 10,000gp
Assorted jewelry. 200,000gp
Staff of the Serpent.
Ring of Wizardry.

That’s about it. :lol:

I am still looking over my other mods but haven’t found anything that will really work as a sequel.

If I start up something new, I will offer the initial spots to those who played in this game first.

Thanks again for playing along! :mrgreen:
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by tkrexx »

Ooooooooo, Ring of Wizardry, eh? :shock:
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oh, you like that, huh? :D

One last question about my writing, then I'll shut up. :lol:

I have noticed that I tend to jump back and forth a lot from first person to.........not first person(?) when I write out the descriptions. Is that confusing or hard to follow at times for anyone? Or is it no big deal?

Example:
Sometimes I write "the party" does something and sometimes I write that "you" do something.

Is that weird?

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”