Chapter 32: From Beyond

Inferno
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 32: From Beyond

#81 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser scans the walls and balcony for the best place to try and climb.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur gives his rope to Faron, Mouser, or whomever else can climb up to try to save the webbed victims of Ariadnax. He scans the webs for any sign of additional spiders.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis positions himself underneath whichever victim is being lowered, thinking to try to catch them if they fall.

After standing there for a moment, arms outstretched at the ready he says, "I'm a bit... er... low to the ground for this job, probably..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo moves towards the carcass of Ariadnax, retrieving his spear and making certain the beast is quite dead and not able to regenerate or anything worse.

"Oh sure. No problem at all folks. Don't even mention it. All in a days work, am I right?"

Being extra cautious with the poison dripping fangs, the druid attempts to collect some of the venom by milking it into an empty flask, if he can.

Making extra sure a second time that the beast is no longer a threat to them, he stabs it again, this time looking for anything around or on the carcass itself.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by jemmus »

Faron accepts Urdur's offer of his rope, and takes his own rope as well. Well, here's hoping there aren't any other spiders up there. And that the people we rescue aren't fiends. And that we find a few coins as well. He climbs up the wall, looking for a strong rail or something else to hand the rope over. His idea is to tie one end to a body and have the heroes on the floor with the other end lower it down. He watches the webs area carefully-- for both dangers, and treasure.

Climb walls 88% [1d100]=64
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Inferno »

The Accursed Mansion, Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Two. Nightfall. Sunday, December 25th, 576 CY

In the dining room of unspeakable feasts, Faron and Mouser scale the magnificent trim, molding and millwork of the crimson walls to rescue the piteous victims trapped high above in the immense spider web.

Urdur's invisible eyes scan for Ariadnax's mate, hiding where his companions advance. He sees no lurking multilegged horrors lying in wait. Nor does Faron spy treasure yet.

Meanwhile, the grey druid confirms the gargantuan spider demon is dead.

Its carcass is adorned only with the writhing lambent fire of the druid's making. The wise naturalist readies to harvest Ariadrax's insidious venom from its razor-sharp fangs. (Please make a DEX check on 1d20 if you'd like to proceed. Success yields 1d6 doses of poison. Critical success yields twice as much. Failure means no doses are harvested. A Fumble means you are poisoned.)

35 feet overhead, Faron and Mouser reach the ghastly living decorations for Winter Solstice End.

Some nine misfortunates flinch and tremble in their dark nightmares. No. It's not that. Something else is causing them to convulse. Something inside them. Suddenly they shriek in agony!

Ariadnax's eggs hatch within their bodies, and gigantic spiderlings without number explode from out of their hosts' screaming mouths, each as large as a child's hand!

The harrowing wails become their death knell.

The crawling Brood Swarm scurries across the gossamers like a rippling wave, covering the entire ceiling, devouring their hosts alive! Part of the ravenous swarm spreads toward Faron and Mouser! (Please both make a WIS check on 1d20 to not be shocked/aghast. If you fail, please make a Climb Walls roll to remain on the wall.)

Actions?!

Map Detail:
One square = 10 feet. The Brood Swarm covers the entire ceiling of Room 2!

Map:

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/22, Glowing Sword
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 4/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 35/38, Spells: 4/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 26/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self.
Faerie Fire (Bo): Target: Ariadnax. Duration: 16 rounds.
Spiritual Hammer (Ingrid): Duration: 1 round.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser's eyes go wide at the onslaught of spiders! "GODS!! Time to go!" and quickly starts to climb back down as fast as he can.

Wis (9) [1d20]=2

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#88 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo takes a step back from the fangs he is about to milk for venom, noticing that all is not well above them and that their good intentions to help the poor victims above has turned into another nightmarish proposal.

He quickly gets to work relighting his torch that was extinguished when he used his magic to save the party just a few moments ago.

"I can burn the webs, but do we take the risk of burning down the entire house around us in the process?"

He waits with his lit firebrand to see if his companions are able to escape before putting the torch to use.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#89 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

While I agree that fire is the eventual answer, with the way things turn out for us, we'd likely all die in a blazing inferno should we apply the torch now. I think we should wait and burn the place before we leave- if it is possible to do so. But, if others feel we should torch the mass of spiders now to make sure none of them survive and grow to become that, Ingrid says, gesturing to the corpse of the giant spider, I would not object.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Never mind the best choice! Do something NOW! Jerome digs for his tinderbox and a torch.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Once both Faron and Mouser have climbed back down, Urdur helps set the webs alight. He tries to recover his rope first, if possible.

He glances back at the entrance, hoping that they can make it out in time if the flames spread too quickly.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by jemmus »

Faron is aghast. Thousands of spiders that could grow into thousands of the eye-demon spider. His mind races looking for a solution to this situation and finds none. The thought of looking for treasure has been completely erased. In horror, he tries to clamber down the wall at fullest speed....

Wis 8 [1d20]=20
Climb Walls 88% [1d100]=93
PCs

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Of course..."

Telkis stares upwards, repulsed, then, seeing Faron losing his grip, rushes to try to minimize his contact with the ground.
He'll try to partially "catch" him, or at the very least try to prevent his melon from smacking the floorboards.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Inferno »

The Accursed Mansion, Blackchapel, Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Two. Nightfall. Sunday, December 25th, 576 CY

The death cries of Ariadnax, Queen of the Brood Swarm, stir something within her countless young and they hatch, erupting from the screaming mouths of their hosts that decorate the towering vaults of the sublime dining room.

The crawling swarm quickly spreads across the immense web like a writhing torrent, covering the entire ceiling, devouring their piteous hosts alive!

Aghast, Faron and Mouser frantically descend from the ceiling and then suddenly, Faron comes off the wall! He plunges down to certain death!

Telkis tries to break his fall in a desperate attempt to save his life! Faron crashes hard into the selfless gnome and they both collapse to the floor! (8hp damage each)

Bo, Jerome and Urdur get torches alight as the teeming swarm begins to descend the walls!

Actions?!

Map Detail:
One square = 10 feet. Grey area is the Brood Swarm that covers the entire ceiling of Room 2! Mouser is 21 feet up the wall.

Map:

Behind the DM Screen:
Falling damage: [3d6]=15 15 damage split between Faron and Telkis.

PC Status:
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 11/22, Glowing Sword
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 18/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 4/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/23, Laying Hands: 1/1, Torch
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 35/38, Spells: 4/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 1/2 3rd lvl, Torch
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 18/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible, Torch

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Invisibility (Urdur): Target: self.
Faerie Fire (Bo): Target: Ariadnax. Duration: 15 rounds.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by jemmus »

Faron painfully gets up with a groan like an old man. He helps the gnome up. My heartfelt thanks, friend Telkis. I'd be a limp ragdoll now except for your help. I hope I can repay the favor someday.

The thief takes his sole flask of oil out of his pack. To the group, In case we do decide to burn them.
PCs

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo climbs atop the table and opens one of his flasks of oil, ready to douse the dead carcass of the great beast on the floor.

“I have seen this type of behavior before. I believe the offspring is about to devour the remains of their mother. This is somewhat common in nature.”

Is any of that true, Scott? :lol:

“Perhaps if we stand back and allow the swarm to advance, they will accumulate atop the carcass for easier disposal?”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome moves to light the webs, but pauses when Bo makes his comment. He watches the swarm, ready to burn them.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur stands ready with his torch.

They're not coming for us, right?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#99 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Ingrid helps Faron up, healing him as she does. I'm afraid that they will come for anything that gets in their way. We need to make sure it isn't us.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser sees that his friends are okay before moving to the open doorway near him. "I suppose who ever lives here knows we're here now." He's still careful and quiet as he peers into the doorway.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”