Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

Inferno
SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 30: The Horror at Hookhill

#21 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I am without the necessary funds, nor have I any possessions to tithe. Perhaps you could let a poor gnome through to find work in the city.

I'm assuming Urdur can't cast Hypnotism without it being obvious that he is casting a spell. If I'm wrong about that, Urdur would try to Hypnotize the guard into letting him and the rest in without paying.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Inferno »

Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Dusk. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Crows feast upon the adornments of Hookhill's ramparts.

Beneath them, the doomed heroes' dreadful quest leads them to a teeming throng amassed at the western gate of the vast human city.

"By order of The King! All who enter here must pay a toll of ten gold coins, else a tithe upon their possessions!" bark the armed guards who man the gate.

Faron says to them, "In many cities, the custom is that travelers can offer a joke, a smoke, or a funny little dance in lieu of paying a toll..."

A guard's mouth makes a derisive snort. It might have been a laugh. "You'd best be off to those other many cities then! We don't need no more lazy, poor wastrels here! Hookhill's gutters are already filthy with em!"

Another guard chuckles, "We can arrange for you to do a funny little dance. On the end of a noose!"

After Ajax the half-orc offers to pay, Faron digs gold from his own pocket and hands it over.

"By Pelor! It's a bloody miracle! He can pay after all!" laughs a guard unpleasantly.

Ajax pays for himself and Ingrid. Bo, Mouser, Telkis also proffer the toll. Those six are allowed through the gate without trouble. Ingrid waits in the thick, rank crush for the rest of her companions.

Mouser asks, "Tell me, is there a place you recommend I could work to earn this back?"

"Workhouses and brothels, follow the wall on yer left," grunts a guard.

Jerome says, "I am currently penniless. Is there some task that I can perform to earn my way into the city?"

"You mean like a funny little dance?"

"Penniless? Look at yer fancy armor! You're a bleedin' lord, ain't ya?"

"Now that's a nice sword, innit?"

"I've a task for you to perform. Open yer pack. We tithe only ten percent of yer goods."

Urdur says, "I am without the necessary funds, nor have I any possessions to tithe..."

"Open yer pack," interrupts another surly guard, having heard it all before. His fat finger points at the gnome's backpack, filled with heinous tomes of unspeakable secrets, sorcerous scrolls, a glowing pebble, and other arcane possessions that would see him burned as a witch.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by jemmus »

Faron doesn't bother retorting to the guards' jibes. He knows the type. Stupid meatheads who are too stupid to even realize that they're stupid. He uneasily watches one of the guards rifle through the gnome's pack. "That looks like sorcery stuff," he thinks. He's never met a mage before. But Urdur doesn't look at all sinister and villainous the way mages are described. He tries to think of a way to help him if things go wrong, but can't come up with anything at all.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

Ajax extends a hand with twenty-two more gold coins for the guards. "For them," he says, gesturing at the penniless pair. "And a gold each for your troubles. Will that square us?"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#25 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Does this toll need to be paid each time we enter the city, or is this a one-time license that allows us entry in the future? Only when it is apparent that the entire party will gain entrance to the city will Ingrid pay the guards and pass through the gates.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur hefts his pack, thanking his new companion in the Orcish tongue as he passes the guards. Qatlho'. He hopes they all live long enough for him to find a way to repay Ajax.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Urdur, you féströ døølïglêÍæ!"* says Telkis as his fellow gnome catches up. "I would have given you the toll had I known. You've got to be careful with these närlé grûst gløømet!"† he adds, his eyes darting back to the guards.

Untranslatable.
Also untranslatable.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo is about to offer up the last of his gold when Ajax comes to the rescue of the others.

Once they are reunited inside the ugly city walls again, he wonders where they go now.

"We wont get far here on our meager coin. I cant imagine the accommodations being very good in most places we could afford either."

"Has anyone even been here before? Do we know where the building we are looking for is located?"

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by jemmus »

Faron
I've never been here. If I had, I think I'd have to have a very good reason to come back. He wonders about the "building we're looking for." But he doesn't ask, he figures he'll learn from discussion along the way.
PCs

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Despite himself, Jerome feels compelled to respond to the thugs guards at the gate.
I was not a lord, but my family are well-known as merchants. I forswore all that when I took my vows.
I have naught, and my family has disowned me.

When they are inside the city, Jerome bows to Ajax. I am in your debt.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser steps out of the shadows of the wall he had just discreetly entered should there have been need to dispatch these guards from the rear. The crisis of coin seems to be resolved.

"He gave us directions to the brothels and workhouses - may be a chance to learn of that what we seek? They should be brimming with rumor..."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by SocraticLawyer »

To Telkis, Urdur says, himinjódyr. Sól þat né vissi hvar hon sali átti, stjörnur þat né vissu hvar þær staði áttu, Máni þat né vissi hvat hann megins átti.
Yeah, my bad.
To the others, he suggests they follow Mouser's lead.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Inferno »

Hookhill, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Dusk. Saturday, December 24th, 576 CY
Cold, overcast

Ajax pays before Urdur is found out, and the doomed heroes enter the city of Hookhill in the packed crowd of travelers, merchants and caravans.

Ingrid calls back, "Does this toll need to be paid each time we enter the city, or is this a one-time license that allows us entry in the future?"

"You mean like a lifetime writ, dearie?" laughs a guard unhelpfully.

The dense crush of reeking humanity pushes them into a small square that is little more than an intersection of six winding streets. The ground is packed with mud, animal entrails and blood, rotting fish, and ale. Raw sewage lines the gutters. The stench is overpowering. They can't imagine what summer must be like.

Peddlers and grifters fill the square, awaiting fresh newcomers to Hookhill. So too do gangs of children and flocks of diseased, wretched beggars.

"Spare a silver for a veteran of the Goblin Wars?" croaks a legless man endlessly. "Spare a silver for a veteran of the Goblin Wars?"

Withered adornments of the winter solstice festival linger among the cramped little shops.

Other decorations are posted as well:

Long Bo confirms that none of his companions have been to Hookhill, nor know the location of the building they seek. Nor does Ingrid know where the temple of Trithereon lies in the vast labyrinthine city. The doomed heroes have been on the road for days. The shadows of dusk deepen.

City-bred Mouser offers, "He gave us directions to the brothels and workhouses - may be a chance to learn of that what we seek? They should be brimming with rumor..."

Urdur concurs, careful not to be trampled in the relentless press of the human throng.

Actions?!

PC Status:
Ajax, Half-Orc Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 36/36
Faron, Human Thief 5: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 22/22
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 4: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 23/23, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 5: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 37/37
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Paladin »

Ajax

42 gold deducted

Ajax inhales the reek of the city and exhales forcefully. He secures his weapons and coinpurse against thieves and growls when others press too close.

The half-orc moves purposefully in the direction of the brothels and workhouses indicated by the guard, eager to find the information they need and be gone from this cesspit.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#35 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Excuse, m-

Pardon me, ca-

Can someb-

Does any-

The cleric tries unsuccessfully to get directions to the Temple, but the crush of humanity either wants nothing to do with her or wants her money. The priestess is disheartened by the sheer number of less-fortunate here, but is unable to help. Her coin purse has barely more than those clamoring for coppers; it is nowhere near enough to help them all. With a heavy heart, she has no choice but to ignore them all, even as her requests for assistance are being ignored. Since none of us know where anything is in this city, and other than the guards nobody seems interested in helping with directions, we may as well find our way to the brothels. There is likely to be a number of taverns- and possibly a temple or two- nearby. Perhaps we can find someone willing to tell us where the buildings we seek may be.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by jemmus »

Faron has seen a fair amount of foulness and repulsiveness along the way, but nothing as bad as this. He breathes through his mouth to try to avoid the stench, but it hardly helps.

He'd like to give some coins to the beggars, but this he as seen before-- giving coins to a few will attract many. And a throng of quick, energetic small urchins who will mob you and hound your every step, front and back, each yelling louder than the last. Another reason he keeps his purse of coins in his pack. They're skilled enough to create enough chaos to thieve even thief. And if you stop somewhere and go inside, when you come out they'll leap to their feet and start it again. He tried exiting bread and cheese for a waiting urchins pack once. But when he tried to give it to them, there was no way to distribute it evenly to every member of the mob. So he gave everything to what looked like the strongest and most clever one, saying, "Divide this, would you?" That causes a challenge by the second strongest-looking one and his henchmen. When Faron made his way on, the pack of guttersnipes was without much doubt about to do battle within itself. Best to just try to help out the lone blighter you run into along the way.

Yes, I suppose toward the brothels is as good a plan as any. But I hope we spot an inn or tavern along the way. Hopefully a less loathsome one, right? Somewhere between part-loathsome and half-decent, as our purses will allow, he says with a smile and an attempt at cheer. He's not looking forward to seeing or meeting the working ladies of Hookbill. And especially not their customers. He pushes and elbows forward toward the front of the group, keeping an eye out for cutpurses, thuggish types, conspicuously inconspicuous loitering characters, odd or unlikely setup situations, and spots in the street that no one should step in. He makes a show of stepping around them, sometimes pointing down to the left or the right. Footwear! Watch your footwear! he says, again with a wry and mirthful smile.
Last edited by jemmus on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis hates city crowds more than most - an endless sea of butts, as it were, given his small stature. Since he can't see where they're going even if he knew what to look for, he tries merely to stick with the group, placing his trust in the taller members.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome makes a sour, disaspproving face when the group heads toward the brothels- but he tags along, not wanting to be stranded alone in this hellhole.

To Telkis: If you want, I can give you a pick-a-back ride, so you don't get lost and trampled.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur moves with the group, trying to find a tavern or anything else of interest.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser agrees. A tavern would indeed be welcome.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”