Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#81 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Far Barn

The hobgoblin guarding the barn of wargs digs his dagger into the sack if meaty scraps and orders 'fresh meat', raw with the skin on' for the beasts. The mule at the end of the paddock, scrawny and put out to pasture to see his days out is unimpressed that he might be in the menu. So are Fapp and Knatchbull who launch their assault to surprise and takedown the guard.

thanks for the rolls but for 'non-lethal' combat I will use the DMG rules, minus the variable allocation. You can still pummel the hobgoblin with the pommel hilt of the weapon.

So provide [1d100] for pummel attack (Fapp) and [1d100] for grappling (Knatchbull). Lower % scored is better.

Give me two rolls each and the first to post can roll a d6 initiative. I will use the first as your 'surprise' jump on him and the second as the next round reaction.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:40 pm Exploring the Far Barn

The hobgoblin guarding the barn of wargs digs his dagger into the sack if meaty scraps and orders 'fresh meat', raw with the skin on' for the beasts. The mule at the end of the paddock, scrawny and put out to pasture to see his days out is unimpressed that he might be in the menu. So are Fapp and Knatchbull who launch their assault to surprise and takedown the guard.

thanks for the rolls but for 'non-lethal' combat I will use the DMG rules, minus the variable allocation. You can still pummel the hobgoblin with the pommel hilt of the weapon.

So provide [1d100] for pummel attack (Fapp) and [1d100] for grappling (Knatchbull). Lower % scored is better.

Give me two rolls each and the first to post can roll a d6 initiative. I will use the first as your 'surprise' jump on him and the second as the next round reaction.
Fapp

Holy for once a nice roll,,,, lol!

grr baby Austin Powers approves this roll......

"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#83 Post by maceo_the_escher »

well...we'll see I guess
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Spearmint »

Barn Fight

so I am just reconciling the dice rolled to the actual DMG rules and then narrating the result.

Fapp. First roll is your pummel to hit which succeeds, second roll is the damage from that pummel and any effect on the opponent.

Fapp strikes out, knocking the hobgoblin on the back of the head. The resolution is 'a solid punch, off balance, attack combo end' -6hp damage (1/4 actual, 3/4 temporary)

Knatchbull then tried to grapple the injured hobgoblin and bear him to the ground. You have a 'to hit' target made up from; 10 x base AC (Scale mail AC 6) +60 + 1 point per Dex = +11, defender in leather +10 and defender 'surprised by Fapp' +5 = 86% chance. You just made it with the first roll.

Second roll is damage or effect, higher the better ... Your roll modified by a +40, resolution is

You kick, knee, gouge opponent for -8hp +strength, (-11hp) and opponent is stunned.

The hobgoblin after the first wave combo of sucker punch and headkick takes -17hp damage and gets knocked cold.

You drag him into the barn closing the doors behind you. So far so good.

next actions please

I did expect another round or two but your rolls pretty much played out as good as you could hope for.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:55 am Barn Fight

so I am just reconciling the dice rolled to the actual DMG rules and then narrating the result.

Fapp. First roll is your pummel to hit which succeeds, second roll is the damage from that pummel and any effect on the opponent.

Fapp strikes out, knocking the hobgoblin on the back of the head. The resolution is 'a solid punch, off balance, attack combo end' -6hp damage (1/4 actual, 3/4 temporary)

Knatchbull then tried to grapple the injured hobgoblin and bear him to the ground. You have a 'to hit' target made up from; 10 x base AC (Scale mail AC 6) +60 + 1 point per Dex = +11, defender in leather +10 and defender 'surprised by Fapp' +5 = 86% chance. You just made it with the first roll.

Second roll is damage or effect, higher the better ... Your roll modified by a +40, resolution is

You kick, knee, gouge opponent for -8hp +strength, (-11hp) and opponent is stunned.

The hobgoblin after the first wave combo of sucker punch and headkick takes -17hp damage and gets knocked cold.

You drag him into the barn closing the doors behind you. So far so good.

next actions please

I did expect another round or two but your rolls pretty much played out as good as you could hope for.
Fapp

After dragging the Half Orc into the barn, Fapp looks at Knatchbull.

"We have to move quickly big guy. Let's search that place quickly and get gone from here, buddy. "
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#86 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"You did great back there...good thing you didn't need to hit him with your sling huh?

Let's throw this meat at the wargs to keep them occupied and check out that tunnel."

Knatchbull will tie up and gag the hobgoblin with anything he can quickly find around him. If nothing is readily available he won't keep looking. He opens up the bag of meat and tosses it to the wargs if they are startled or riled up. If they aren't reacting he'll leave them be and head to the tunnel.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm Knatchbull

"You did great back there...good thing you didn't need to hit him with your sling huh?

Let's throw this meat at the wargs to keep them occupied and check out that tunnel."

Knatchbull will tie up and gag the hobgoblin with anything he can quickly find around him. If nothing is readily available he won't keep looking. He opens up the bag of meat and tosses it to the wargs if they are startled or riled up. If they aren't reacting he'll leave them be and head to the tunnel.
Fapp

Fapp nods. "NO need to kill anyone as I see it. Let's try to tie him and drag him in, hide him in some hay."

He'll lead Kantchbull into the tunnel.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Far Barn

The spies cosh the guard who collapses at their feet. Quickly dragging him inside the barn they take him to one of the swept out stalls and tie him up. The wargs, large mangy critters growl at the unfamiliar intruders but are pacified by a few thrown scraps.

You have previous few minutes before the guard regains consciousness and tries to wriggle free. You ignore the option to cosh him more definitively or to forcefully ply him with the moonshine, hoping you don't regret either choice later.

Opening the hidden trapdoor you realise entering below may be a one way trip or at least crossing a point of no return to the community stockade. Committed to investigate, Fapp leads the way leaving Knatchbull to close the lid trusting the straw above will cover your tracks to the secret entrance.

The passage is but a few feet wide and as expected, the wide shouldered half-orc has to hunch over to mind the head room. You descend, the air clammy and damp, perhaps due to the peat ecology or nearness to the moated stockades. It leads directly east as far as you can tell, on an ligament to the manse and the knoll it is built upon.

what light sources do you have? Any actions or precautions made before you proceed?
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#89 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"Well we're down here. Now what should we do? I could light a torch but that would definitely give us away. But what other choice do we have? I've noticed I can see heat from animals and other people in the dark but it wouldn't keep me from falling down a hole. I didn't really think about this part."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:42 am Knatchbull

"Well we're down here. Now what should we do? I could light a torch but that would definitely give us away. But what other choice do we have? I've noticed I can see heat from animals and other people in the dark but it wouldn't keep me from falling down a hole. I didn't really think about this part."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by tarlyn »

tarlyn wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:28 am
maceo_the_escher wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:42 am Knatchbull

Fapp

"Don't think we have much choice, I do have infravision but that won't help you out. Okay, light up the torch and let's proceed."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Spearmint »

there is an old lantern in part of the store area of the barn but you would have to go up to get it, with any inherent risk.
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#93 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull decides not to risk a return up and into the barn for the lantern he spotted and pulls a torch and his tinderbox out. He lights it and peers around himself and Fapp.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

Going Underground.

Knatchbull strikes a torch, the firebrand shedding a radiance of light, holding it in front of him. Fapp, significantly shorter can walk ahead a few paces. The initial section of the tunnel is narrow with grimy walls. It is damp and soon you are squelching in ankle deep mud. After a few minutes of slow progress as you check the ceiling is not going to suddenly collapse, you find the tunnel widens a little and in an alcove to one side an old wooden shelf has been fixed. Long ago when the tunnel was used, someone has left behind three human like skulls. Runes scratched in the sandy rock face of the tunnel wall are strange syllables and signs. Certainly not an alphabet you might be familiar with.

you can check out the skulls if you wish

A few yards further on and the tunnel curves slightly. It is at this point the boggy ground becomes more than ankle deep mud and it looks like you might have to do some wading as the tunnel fills to a couple of feet deep. Piggyback for Fapp or try and straddle the wall for a short distance or just wade through it? The water filled section of tunnel must go on for 60'ft or so.

Attachments
Inside the tunnel
Inside the tunnel
unnamed.jpg (76.26 KiB) Viewed 275 times
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:59 am Going Underground.

Knatchbull strikes a torch, the firebrand shedding a radiance of light, holding it in front of him. Fapp, significantly shorter can walk ahead a few paces. The initial section of the tunnel is narrow with grimy walls. It is damp and soon you are squelching in ankle deep mud. After a few minutes of slow progress as you check the ceiling is not going to suddenly collapse, you find the tunnel widens a little and in an alcove to one side an old wooden shelf has been fixed. Long ago when the tunnel was used, someone has left behind three human like skulls. Runes scratched in the sandy rock face of the tunnel wall are strange syllables and signs. Certainly not an alphabet you might be familiar with.

you can check out the skulls if you wish

A few yards further on and the tunnel curves slightly. It is at this point the boggy ground becomes more than ankle deep mud and it looks like you might have to do some wading as the tunnel fills to a couple of feet deep. Piggyback for Fapp or try and straddle the wall for a short distance or just wade through it? The water filled section of tunnel must go on for 60'ft or so.

Fapp

The Halfling holds his hand up for Knatchbull to stop before they get any deeper than ankle deep in the passage.

Retrieving a copper piece, he tosses it about halfway down the passage , thirty feet or so and watches intently after the coin "plops" into the water, looking for

any sign of movement.

Removed a copper from my inventory.

Fapp will listen and search as well as they go along.

If Knacthbull wants to , Fapp is willing to inspect the three skulls before his coin toss, heh..
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

the skulls appear human, perhaps one has more distended jaw and higher forehead, an half-orc perhaps. Hard to tell without the skin on.

Underneath each is a trinket. One has a slim burnished ring, coiled in a serpent shape. The second has five dice, made from a colourful stone with finely engraved numbers except for one dice which has pictograms on. The third trinket is a gold piece with 'double heads'. Each side shows an Ettin. (Picture a skull and crossbones but with a double headed person and two clubs instead of bones).

The water in the tunnel would be torso higher on the halfling. Nothing dangerous seems to lurk under the grimy and still surface.
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#97 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"Leave those skulls alone Fapp! It's not good to mess with the dead. Could be some kinda magic on them too."

Moving his attention back to the watery passage he says, "This tunnel isn't what I thought it would be. Just when I think I got this place figured out something new comes along. If people were using this tunnel a lot it wouldn't look like this would it? Wanna hop on my back and keep going forward? If you do-you can hold the torch-just don't burn me OK?"
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 am Knatchbull

"Leave those skulls alone Fapp! It's not good to mess with the dead. Could be some kinda magic on them too."

Moving his attention back to the watery passage he says, "This tunnel isn't what I thought it would be. Just when I think I got this place figured out something new comes along. If people were using this tunnel a lot it wouldn't look like this would it? Wanna hop on my back and keep going forward? If you do-you can hold the torch-just don't burn me OK?"
Fapp

Fapp leaves the trinkets alone, listening to his friend.

"Sure I'll hop onto your back and hold the torch for you."

Fapp hops onto Knatchbull's back and holds the torch.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Spearmint »

Just when I think I got this place figured out something new comes along.
welcome to my games ... :wink:

At Knatchbull's counsel, Fapp leaves the tempting trinkets be, resisting the lure of them despite no protest from the skulls they hide under.

Getting a piggy back over the water is fine. His torch held aloft. The half-orc wades the tunnel, sloshing as he goes. You get to the other side a few yards away, the walls squirm with creepy crawlies. Large centipedes, as long as a man's arm, wriggle along the floor and sides. There is no way forward except to push through the swarm.

Assessing the situation you could hack and slash or burn your way through but due to the number, you would still find a few possibly being able to reach you and nibble or bite as you pass by.

actions please

Attachments
Centipedes nibbling
Centipedes nibbling
IMG_20211006_024904.jpg (135.5 KiB) Viewed 256 times
maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#100 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull to Fapp:

"Got any tricks up your sleeves for bugs? We could wave at 'em with the torch but I'm not sure if that's gonna be good enough."

Return to “Completed Expeditions”