Chapter 28: The Exorcism

Inferno

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 28: The Exorcism

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No longer sure what to make of this encounter, Bo attacks again, wishing to end these abominations of nature while they still can.

Spear Attack [1d20]=11 Damage [1d6]=4

"It appears that your Mother has abandoned you mangy mutts! Surrender yourselves if you wish to live!"

Once the ants target has been killed, he points the behemoths to their next victim. W3

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur makes a mental note to speak to Jerome about theological matters if the group escapes this predicament.

Careful to stay within the paladin's radius, Urdur throws his final two daggers at the nearest of the horrors.

Throw dagger [1d20+2]=12+2=14

Throw dagger [1d20+2]=19+2=21

If those hit:
Damage from dagger [1d4]=4

Damage from dagger [1d4]=3
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome attacks (Wa) again, intent on destroying these creatures once and for all.
[1d20+1]=20+1=21 melee Longsword s/m [1d8+1]=6+1=7 x2 for crit!
Jerome is regaining his confidence, and roars a laugh as his blade bites deep.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser shakes off the nightmare of his enthrallment. He thrusts his trusted blades into the closest flesh.

Scalpel (THACO 20) To Hit [1d20]=17, S/M/L Dam. [1d8]=7
Cat's Claw (THACO 20) To Hit [1d20]=17-2=15, S/M Dam. [1d4]=4, L Dam. [1d3]=1

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Haunted Wood, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-four. Past Midnight. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

Bloodthirsty daemonic evil is denied.

In a caterwauling of howls, whimpers and barks, the preternatural wolfpack comes under the virtuous wrath of the doomed heroes, and the battle becomes a slaughter!

Ingrid, Telkis and two gigantic soldier ants ruthlessly dismember one of the heinous, man-shaped abominations (W2)! Urdur hurls two dead-eyed daggers into another accursed creature (W4) but they cause no injury!

Mouser slashes at an unspeakable monstrosity that was gravely wounded in the first attack (W1)! His sword leaves no mark but the silver dagger found in the secret library in Vicar's Head strikes the hateful thing dead!

Bo stabs a leaping black wolf again with his long spear (Wc) as he orders the pack to surrender, while Jerome smites another snapping, snarling cur into oblivion with one fell-handed blow! (Wa) It had once been their companion, Pyotr Whitetip.

The pack falls apart; feral beasts lurch and lunge away from the fierce onslaught of the heroes' attack, fleeing into the black caverns for the second time this night!

The howls of battle die away. No lurking evil remains, at least to Ingrid's blessed eyes. Splayed at the heroes feet are the broken, bloody corpses of one wolf, two inhuman horrors, and Brevos the fearless ranger.

Actions?! (Plans for the next 24 hours please?)

Map:
One square = 5 feet. Lighter area is visible. All else is from memory.

Behind the DM Screen:
Initiative: Party: [1d6]=6, Monsters: [1d6]=5 Heroes win.

The Mouser names whatever blades he has Cat's Claw and Scalpel. He's had the silver dagger a while.

The wolfpack retreats and Wc is still in a melee so Bo gets a free opportunity attack against it:
Bo: Opportunity attack against Wc: [1d20]=3, damage: [1d6]=5 Misses.

Hypnotized wolf, Wb, was asked to defend the heroes. With the battle over, they need no defending. Wb will retreat with its packmates.

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl, Torch
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl, 2/5 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 0/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 0/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 0/2 3rd lvl, Torch on ground
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl, 0/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Protection From Evil, 10' Radius (Jerome)
Detect Evil (Ingrid): Duration: 67 rounds
Hypnotism (Urdur): Target: Demon. Duration: 2 rounds
Hypnotism (Urdur): Target: One wolf (Wb). Duration: 4 rounds
Summon Insects (Bo): Duration: 3 rounds

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome cleans his blade on a dead beast's fur. We have tempted Death too often today- we must rest.

He begins dragging the mostrous corpses into a pile, mumbling prayers as he does.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur can hardly believe he has survived yet another ordeal. There is a lot yet to do, so he gets to work.

First, he recovers as many daggers as he can from the dead. If the demon and/or wolves do not return, Urdur completes the search he intended to do earlier: he searches the summoning rooms for anything he suspects might have a mystical or arcane quality, particularly any books or scrolls. Then he helps the group barricade themselves in for the night.

Over the next few hours, Urdur reviews any magical tomes or scrolls in his possession, takes his turn at the watch, and rests when he is able. If the paladin is up for it, Urdur engages him in conversation about his faith, which has literally saved the little gnome from an eternity in The Abyss. He asks whether hounds have souls, and if so, what became of his beloved Mittens.

If the group remains undisturbed after their rest, Urdur helps bury the body of their fallen friend, Brevos unless they want to do that in town or something. On the way back to her village, Urdur keeps lil Amity entertained with coin tricks and other forms of minor prestidigitation.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo suggests the party sleep in the second barracks room they found, barricading the door once everyone is inside.

"Do you really believe we will be free of that deranged pack from here on out? Or should we expect another attack from them eventually?"

He searches the goods and supplies in the storeroom carefully to see if any of it is fit for human (non-cannibal) consumption they can use now or add to their own supply.

Helping to drag the remains of Brevos back out into the natural passages, he looks for a good spot to bury his brave companion, saying a prayer to the Shalm over the proceedings.

"Oh, I almost forgot, I had saved a few spells for healing purposes, are any of you injured?" Looking around at his friends, the druid is amazed that they all got through the latest turmoil with nary a scratch on any of them. The Shalm really does work in mysterious ways.

Once everyone is settled in, the druid magically creates some fresh water for them to drink and refill their skins for travel. "Perhaps we can get started on our way back to the colony once it is light outside again?"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Shaking his head, Telkis helps in burying Brevos, sorrowful but amazed more of them are not dead.

Once that is done, he will scout around the rooms to continue looking for structural weaknesses in the walls or ceilings that the party might exploit in their defense. He'll help barricade the bunk room as well.

If things quiet down a bit, he'll look for signs of any small burrowing creatures he might talk to. Perhaps small friend who could help them keep a lookout for returning wolves, though he hopes they've been cowed for the present...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser shakes his head. "I don't like it. They will certainly be back." He doesn't stray off but keeps to himself. His eye glance off of the remains of Brevos and he thinks it could have been him. Maybe it still could. He'll rest if able and keep watch when able but mostly keep an eye and an ear out for wolves.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Urson »

Jerome
As he works; They likely will, Mouser. But we have to snatch what rest we can until they do.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#73 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I doubt I will ever believe myself safe from the wolves. We should prepare for them to return, and if those preparations are not needed, then we have lost nothing but time. Ingrid will help bury Brevos should that occur. She will also help barricade themselves and spend time with Amity.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Inferno »

The Wolfpack's Lair, The Haunted Wood, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Thirty-four. Past Midnight. Wednesday, December 14th, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear

The doomed heroes have exorcised the Demon they released from the Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, and tricked it into returning to Hell where it shall remain until summoned back to Oerth by its rightful name. They have despoiled the summoning ritual of the Dark Mother and driven off the wolfpack for a second time.

At last the heroes recover and fortify their position. As Ingrid soothes Amity, they execute a careful search of the subterranean lair.

Telkis judges the construction to be sound and very old. But he locates no burrowing vermin, just the gigantic colony of bats. They find foodstuffs that are not depraved and the grey druid provides fresh water. Urdur recovers his daggers and two more blasphemous volumes on black magic and demonology from the second summoning room. He eagerly scans them even as he asks Jerome about the paladin's faith that saved his immortal soul.

After Bo heals the injured, they sleep behind rebuilt barricades, beneath a rotating watch. The wolves do not come for them in the night. Nor do the nightmares of the Dark Mother that have haunted their dreams for weeks now.

In the morning, Telkis feels a terrible weight has been lifted from his soul. The life force stolen from him by an undead servant of the Dark Mother is finally healed with the temporary vanquishing of that eternal threat. (+3815 xp!)

When they emerge from behind the barricade they find the three butchered members of the wolfpack have resumed human form. Two they do not recognize. The third is Pyotr Whitetip.

Then they bury Brevos in the woods.

After a few heartfelt words are spoken, they set out with caution to return Amity Mantle home.

In their journey through the haunted forest of the dark mountains, they hear no wolf cries.

By noon the next day, they safely reach the graveyard of Vicar's Head.

From their vantage above the town, they see it is filled with activity. It seems the evil here has also been exorcised.

When the heroes broke the power of the witch coven of the Black Altar in the Woods, the undead curse here was lifted. The "plague" quarantine is ended. Workers cart away the dead and rebuild damaged buildings under the protection of armed soldiers.

Seeking to avoid an unnecessary encounter with the inquisitors of the Imperial Overlord, the heroes press on.

Two days later they reach the hardscrabble Ashblood Colony of Pelor Dissenters.

There is a joyous reunion of child and parents.

The villagers cannot believe their eyes. Their gratitude is without measure; not least of all that of their shepherd, the Reverend Gideon Ashblood.

Missing is one member of the sect, Danforth Bale.

The heroes quietly suspect that he had been one of the wolfpack.

That night there is a humble feast in the honor of the heroes and their fallen comrades who miraculously returned Amity Mantle to her family and lifted from this area a dread and unspeakable evil. Their virtuous deeds and noble sacrifice will never be forgotten.

The End (Any last replies/responses before we begin the next adventure? :) )

Area Map:
X marks the Lair of the Wolfpack.

PC Status:
Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 5: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 25/25, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 5/5 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
Long Bo, Human Druid 5: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 38/38, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl, 2/2 3rd lvl
Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl

PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome will drink more than is good for him at the feast, and will probably embarrass himself. He's a mopey, sad drunk.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur enjoys himself at the feast, drinking slightly less than Jerome. He inquires whether the town has a houndmaster.

Before turning in for a well deserved, very long, and deep sleep, Urdur reviews the mystical tomes taken from the lair. Depending on the contents, he either reads further or commits them to flames.

Scott308

#77 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Ingrid humbly accepts the well-wishes and congratulations of the townsfolk, downplaying her role and deflecting accolades to the will of Mighty Tritherion her companions, especially those who fell along the way- Hothhill, Rudolf, Pyotr, and Brevos. She also warns Amity's family that the little girl experienced things nobody should have to see, especially one so young. She may not be willing to talk about what happened- she may, in fact, be unable to talk about it. Children are remarkably resilient, and it's possible her mind will "block off" details of the events that took place after she disappeared. She warns them against asking questions, not to chip away at the wall in her memories. If she remembers anything and wishes to speak of it, she should be allowed to do so at her own pace, and in the manner of her choosing. Please, try to allow her to grow up like any other little girl, as best she can. That is most important for her- to be treated as a normal child.

In the morning, the priestess is up and readying herself for her journey. It has been an honor to know and travel with each of you, she tells her companions. However, I cannot ask any of you to accompany me any further. I do not know what form yet it will take, but I must make amends to Holy Tritherion for my blasphemous actions against the wolf-men. The atonement is mine to undergo, and so I must bid you farewell. With that, the priestess begins walking out of the village, a single soul venturing into the darkness her former companions know the world to be. Thus ends the saga of Ingrid Esthof.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#78 Post by Scott308 »

...or does it? After walking a short distance, the young cleric turns back to the others with a grin. I can't ask you to accompany me, but, you know, the world is an awfully big place, and you have the right to travel it as you see fit. Should anyone just happen to be travelling the same direction as me, well- I can't stop you from doing so. When she finishes, she turns and begins walking away again, much more slowly this time...almost as if she were allowing others to catch up to her if they so desired.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis feels a huge sense of relief, a feeling he hasn't truly felt since that harrowing day in the pit when it felt his very soul was being drawn out of him. For the first time in a long time he feels like himself again.

He sets about spreading the word amongst the burrowing creatures near the village that the nightmare is over, in particular looking for a very frightened rabbit he remembered, but warns that they should still be careful, being just little guys. Normal wolves are bad enough.

As Ingrid begins walking away, then turns back, the gnome will hurry to catch up to her. "I got nowhere else to be," he says, Cranach propped on one shoulder as he trundles along.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As is his usual way, Bo takes no credit for this miracle, and downplays the accolades as much as possible, preferring to stay humble, and neutral.

He does however partake in the festivities, drinking and eating where he may. He spends a lot of time listening to the members of the colony, wishing to better understand what makes people such as this tick. Again, he uses his powers to aid the farmers as best he can, creating fresh water and bringing on bumper crops of the most vital foodstuffs they are growing by stimulating the grounds with his magic, even if they do consider him a heretic for doing so.

Once Ingrid walks off to her fate, the druid wonders what she might be getting herself into all alone. Not wanting to miss out on any exciting adventures she and the others may yet find, he gladly follows along to see what they will get themselves into next.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”