Chapter 19: Civilization's End

Inferno
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 19: Civilization's End

#61 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Even without a ceiling, solid walls around her are a blessing for Zahra. She stays quiet for now, just looking around the fortress.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by hedgeknight »

Dahinna

Looking around at the surly bunch, Dahinna soon turns her attention to the stalls where merchants ply their wares. She wanders over toward them, her dark eyes taking in the merchants as much as what they are selling.
Winter is coming...

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Hold the frontier?" quips the Cimmerian. "They", gesturing toward the sound of the throbbing drums, "hold it."

He pauses, exhaling intermittently through pursed lips while assessing the trim of the ragtag fighting men thrown together from the far-flung corners of the empire. At length, he grunts his disapproval.
"Hnh. Brawlers and farmhands waiting for the Picts to execute their strategy of bloody-handed murder."

Facing the guardsmen once again, Cruloc narrows his eyes, leans in, and lowers his voice to a muted growl. "The Picts are lurking forest shadows, they whisper in the language of night creatures, and their blackened knives are drawn only to be sheathed again in the bellies and throats of interlopers."

He scans their expressions, savouring the manifest fear in their widening eyes. Satisfied, he straightens.

"Fortunately for you and the whole sorry lot sheltering behind these walls," he finishes, tapping the pommel of his battle-worn sword, "this cuts them in half."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Paladin »

Iago Vazquez de Quesada

"Well met, indeed," the dashing pirate replies. He bows slightly from the waist and flashes a crooked grin. "My name is Iago Vazquez de Quesada. It is a bold endeavor...to hew from this dark forest a fortress and to wrest from savage hands this new land." He scans their surroundings with admiring eyes, quickly calculating their chances of withstanding an assault from without.

"My boots have been ashore only a short while, amigo, and I know not where they'll take me--
only where I am."
He grins again. "How fare you here? Do these high walls deter the painted ones?"

Iago pats the scalps at his belt. "Speaking of painted ones, I heard that a reward is offered for scalps. My purse is light and my throat is dry. If there is drink to be had here, I would collect my silver and buy you weary souls a round."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri looms massively, a neutral expression on his face, but does not yet speak, waiting to see how they respond to already proffered questions and challenges. Anyway, he doubts they know the way to Atlantis.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Inferno »

Fort Tuscelan, Conajohara Province, Aquilonian Empire, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Sunset, 11th day of the month of Qrot, 1280th year of the Age of Aquilonia

At the fort on the precipice of barbarism, the adventurers speak with the Aquilonian guards at the gate.

Iago flashes a crooked grin. "How fare you here? Do these high walls deter the painted ones?"

A gust of deep laughter comes from the older guard's broad chest. "It's served so far! It would deter the hordes of Hyrkania!" His younger comrade seems less sure. The first soldier points Iago to an official who will trade silver for human scalps; one of the retinue on the western parapet.

"Centurion Cassius. I'll have that drink later, friend," the veteran legionnaire adds eagerly. "I'm called Agrippa."

Agrippa appraises Grigor the gypsy and answers his query. "The priest is there," he chuckles, nodding his head at a small humble building. "Mitra's own missionary, come to save the souls of the heathen savages!"

Dahinna wanders alone through the thinly manned outpost to the merchant stalls. She finds overpriced supplies and diversions for soldiers and scouts on the frontier. Her presence attracts the attention of a few idle off-duty men that are gossiping and gambling. It must be too early for drink. One young bravo struts toward her. His every glance, his every swaggering movement is an affront. But none more so than his leering grin. "Ho! What brings you to the end of the world, my dark little flower? No. Let me guess! You've come for me. Naturally, I'm flattered..."

At the gate, Cruloc the barbarian taunts the guards good naturedly and the younger soldier laughs too hard at the jest. His fear is almost palpable.

Wise Amethu states, "We can help you hold the frontier but perhaps not as you expect. Are there additional folks in charge like yourself that I could speak with?"

"That would be Praetor Valannus," says Agrippa, once more indicating the entourage watching the jungle across the Black River.

"...Governor of Conajohara."

The Hyborians amongst the travelers are not greatly surprised that the governor might receive them himself. Autocratic society with its rigid caste laws lay east of the marches, not here at the edge of savagery and chaos.

Actions?

Map:

X marks the adventurers' position at Fort Tuscelan.

PC Status:
Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 3/2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 9/14, Spells: 3/7 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl
Cruloc: Cimmerian Northman Barbarian 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 45/45
Dahinna: Zamoran Southwoman Thief 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
Grigor: Zamoran Nomad Cleric/Fighter 3/3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 18/29, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl
Iago: Zingaran Southman Fighter 4: Move: 12", AC: 2, HP: 18/32
Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 3/2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 4: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 20/29
Gnasher: Grigor's Hound: Move: 12", AC: 5, HD: 2+2, HP: 10/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Bluetongue »

Grigor

Approaches the chapel and ties up Gnasher by the door, giving him a bone to gnaw on as he tries the door and goes inside.

Probably the first thing he would do is anoint himself with the font water, geneflecting a Mitral cross or holy symbol across his head and torso and making a bow in the main aisle towards the altar table or main icons.

If the priest is in attendance he will greet him reverently. "My Father. My friends and I have sojourned across the plains though they be not such pilgrim travellers as I. We were beset upon the trail by savages and through the divine mercies of the gods, though grievously wounded, we escaped with our lives. I would give my thanks in prayer."

Taking a votive candle he would light one and after choosing one of his many rosary chains, kneel to pray as the incense burns down with flickering light. Perhaps an hour or more goes by.

I would like to talk with the cleric or any acolytes present at any time suitable during the evening, fact finding as much useful information as possible about the fort and the surroundings.

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

The barbarian's keen ears pick up the older guard's words to Iago.

His torment of the draftee complete, he strides toward the walrus-moustachioed Zingaran, clapping him brusquely on the shoulder. "Silver for a tankard, and perhaps a plump frontier doxy to stroke that rat on your lip!"

Indicating the western parapet, he adds intently, "Payment and a better view await above. I would know the lay of the fortifications, and the degree of the threat we face."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by hedgeknight »

Dahinna wanders alone through the thinly manned outpost to the merchant stalls. She finds overpriced supplies and diversions for soldiers and scouts on the frontier. Her presence attracts the attention of a few idle off-duty men that are gossiping and gambling. It must be too early for drink. One young bravo struts toward her. His every glance, his every swaggering movement is an affront. But none more so than his leering grin. "Ho! What brings you to the end of the world, my dark little flower? No. Let me guess! You've come for me. Naturally, I'm flattered..."
Dahinna snorts and replies, "If you are all that waits at the end of the world, then I've been shit on. Yep, the gods certainly have a sense of humor. But those Picts don't and we riled 'em up on our way here. So before they come crawling like ants over these walls and slit your throat, get good and drunk, beat off a couple of times > thinking of my dark flowery face, of course > and get ready to meet your gods."

Having said what she wanted, Dahinna wanders off, checking on other stalls for anything remotely valuable that she may be able to pocket.
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu continues to press the helpful guard respectfully before searching for the Praetor. "Thank you good sir. Tell me, what of these savages in the forests? Have any of you gone in search of a pathway to the sea? Any luck in finding one or what lays beyond the trees?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra stays with Amenthu, listening to what the guard has to say. She remains quiet.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Paladin »

Yrkoon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:22 am Cruloc

The barbarian's keen ears pick up the older guard's words to Iago.

His torment of the draftee complete, he strides toward the walrus-moustachioed Zingaran, clapping him brusquely on the shoulder. "Silver for a tankard, and perhaps a plump frontier doxy to stroke that rat on your lip!"

Indicating the western parapet, he adds intently, "Payment and a better view await above. I would know the lay of the fortifications, and the degree of the threat we face."
Iago Vazquez de Quesada

The pirate grins and winks broadly at his oversized companion. "Plump is right, my friend. Only a dog chews the bone. Let's go get some money."

He claps Cruloc on the shoulder and heads toward the buyer of scalps, also keen on a quick look around from above. He climbs the western parapet and approaches the official, presenting his gruesome trophies.

"Good day, my friend. We are told by the soldiers below that you pay a bounty for Pictish scalps. We bring you several."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri wanders off towards the merchant stalls. It's been so long since he was in a market of any kind, he can't remember what to do there. Finally, he decides to see if there is a fletcher to shore up his slowly dwindling arrow supply...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Inferno »

Fort Tuscelan, Conajohara Province, Aquilonian Empire, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Sunset, 11th day of the month of Qrot, 1280th year of the Age of Aquilonia

As the newcomers explore the Aquilonian fort, Zahra stays with her kinsman at the gate, listening to Amethu question Agrippa about what lies beyond the Black River. The veteran legionnaire is happy to continue Cruloc's work of unnerving his junior counterpart with ghost stories:
"What does anyone know of the things that jungle may hide? We have dim rumors of great swamps and rivers, and a forest that stretches on and on over everlasting plains and hills to end at last on the shores of the western ocean. But what things lie between this river and that ocean we dare not even guess! No white man has ever plunged deep into that fastness and returned alive to tell us what he found. We are civilized and wise, but our knowledge extends just so far — to the western bank of this ancient river and no further! Who knows what shapes earthly and unearthly may lurk beyond? Who knows what evil gods are worshipped under the shadows of that devil forest, or what demons crawl out of the oozing swamps of that black country?!" Agrippa nearly falls over laughing.

Resentful, the younger guard answers Amethu with some small defiance, "Th... the Tauran scouts might know..." and points an unsure finger at a clutch of lightly armored men in the courtyard.

Not far from them, Dahinna cuts a swaggering bravo deep with keenly honed words, to the raucous delight of his fellow soldiers. Dismissing him, she wanders the meager wares of the merchant stalls and finds Kiri there. The immense easterner locates arrows to replenish his quiver. "Two gold a dozen," comes a voice. Kiri turns and finds its owner, a frontiersman who had clearly survived a scalping.

At a nearby stall, something catches Dahinna's shrewd eyes among the outpost weapons and equipment. A needle in a haystack, forged of silver and set with a flat black stone, the Zamoran thief doesn't recognize its make.

"Found on a savage. But no Pict made this," counsels a fat merchant. "Not many buyers for a woman's bracelet out here. I'll give you a good price."

Elsewhere, Grigor opens the door to a humble cabin and is surprised to find it is not a temple but a spartan living quarters. An old man rises from a rustic wooden chair where he had been reading by firelight. "Yes, my son?"

The gypsy introduces himself and describes his harrowing journey. The old priest shakes his head ruefully, "Savages. These are dark times and trying, as we labor faithfully to spread the light of civilization to the heathen primitives. I will pray with you, my son. I am Father Andronicus. Now, what sins would you confess to almighty Mitra? He is listening."

Outside, Cruloc and Iago climb a ladder to the western wall-walk.

The great river flows beneath them, and beyond lies the shadowed jungle where the drums still talk. The centurion called Cassius sees the scalps and guesses their purpose. He leaves the governor's retinue to meet them and lines red palms with silver. (30 sp per scalp) "Nice work," he smiles thinly, "Looking for more?"

Actions?

Map:

X marks the adventurers' position at Fort Tuscelan.

PC Status:
Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 3/2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 9/14, Spells: 3/7 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl
Cruloc: Cimmerian Northman Barbarian 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 45/45
Dahinna: Zamoran Southwoman Thief 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
Grigor: Zamoran Nomad Cleric/Fighter 3/3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 18/29, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl, 2/2 2nd lvl
Iago: Zingaran Southman Fighter 4: Move: 12", AC: 2, HP: 18/32
Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 3/2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 4: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 20/29
Gnasher: Grigor's Hound: Move: 12", AC: 5, HD: 2+2, HP: 10/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Kiri nods at Dahinna as she passes. If he feels any pity for the fools that would harass her to their peril, he does not show it.

He regards the arrows for a few moments, then removes two gold from his pouch and places them on the table. "I sense I am in no position to bargain, having nowhere else to go for such a service, and therefore judge your price to be fair," he says.

"It seems you have had some experience in the surrounding jungle. We will go there, soon. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Is there no means of reasoning with the Picts? ...I would prefer this. Or must they be skewered like beasts?" he adds.

Yrkoon
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Yrkoon »

Cruloc

"Pictish scalps for Aquilonian silver? A fair bargain for a Cimmerian! Aye, you'll have more, centurion. "But first," he points at Iago, "I fear this man may drink yonder river dry if we don't find him some ale. Then you'd have more Picts in here than fleas!"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by hedgeknight »

"Found on a savage. But no Pict made this," counsels a fat merchant. "Not many buyers for a woman's bracelet out here. I'll give you a good price."
Dahinna shrugs as if she is not that interested. "What is your good price for this then?"
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ravenn4544 »

Amethu smiles behind the mask at the jesting and boasting of the guard to make light of a dire situation. "Thank you gentlemen guards! I appreciate your help and may the walls here ever remain sturdy". He moves further into the courtyard to speak to the scouts that were pointed out.

"Greetings brave souls. The guard there suggested I speak with you to inquire as to what lays beyond these walls in the jungles beyond? Have any of you been out there? Have you seen the sea?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Urson »

Zahra
Zahra nods to the trooper they had been talking to, then walked to the Tauran scouts.
Hail, scouts. I was told that you might have information about the lands west of here. What tales can you tell?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Bluetongue »

Grigor

"I would hope Father that since my last confession my thanks would outweigh my iniquities. The scars on my body from many adversaries arrows pierce my soul too with a grief for the sins I have committed." He lists a few things he has wrestled with in his spirit, "I got drunk on the wine from Bacchus altar and it led to much licentiousness and lewd behaviour. I coveted my neighbours wife ... and her sister."

He moves his fingers across a few beads of a rosary and goes on, "I roam the land. Compelled by an inner urge to pilgrimage to an unholy place that righteousness may prevail. I walk with heathens, bonded by the same desire. I know not why but I call them brother and sister to me, though they desecrate the dead in their lust for coin. I fear my faith with falter as much as my steps." He chants a few known Mitral scriptures and listens to the wisdom of Andronicus.

"I would not augur my future but be strengthened by knowledge I have the gods favour."

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”