The investigation continues.....

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: The investigation continues.....

#141 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

So...does anyone feel like walking through this mess? Should we throw oil upon it and burn it? I have heard of noxious goo that can cause harm to adventurers if they should touch it. I'd not like to get hurt by this bunch of gore, but I would also not like to destroy any sort of clue we may find in the mess.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#142 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The party follows the two priests into the shaft, but not much further than that. Ugghra begins to toss rubble from the alter out onto the floor of the room ahead. The goo splashes around a little but no traps or triggers are found.

The bloody ooze is only about an inch or two deep but it covers nearly the entire floor. It looks to be mostly wet and gooey but there are a few patches around that are dried and crusty. As the light is brought closer it appears that there is a black pentagram outlined in the center of the room. You can also see what looks like scrawny human sized arms and legs strewn about in the disgusting glop.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Inferno »

Sir Ugghra, half-orc aristocrat:
OGRE MAGE wrote:You can also see what looks like scrawny human sized arms and legs strewn about in the disgusting glop.
"Mad Mortimer, I Presume?" says Sir Ugghra in disbelief.
The refined ravager sniffs his wide nose and looks down it with disgust.

Do we recognize those limbs, perchance? :(
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#144 Post by OGRE MAGE »

They are vaguely human sized, but scrawny. There are several limbs in the glop, not just one set. (maybe a dozen in total) No, you don't recognize any of them. :?
Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#145 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

From her position in the back she has trouble seeing much of the room, "Is this goo wet? Seems if it was blood, it would have dried by now if it was from the mage of the tower."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, mentat

The elf scrunches his nose. "A site of dark sacrifice, or a horror lying within. Aye, we should burn it. Even crossing by stone is inviting trouble."
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Inferno »

Cauchy wrote:Epi
From her position in the back she has trouble seeing much of the room, "Is this goo wet? Seems if it was blood, it would have dried by now if it was from the mage of the tower."
"Yes, Miss Epi... If This Revolting Miasma Is Blood."
"I Concur, Orando. We Should Burn This Heinous Mire Away.
"I've a Torch, But No Oil."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Hmmm... perhaps I can help," says Ozwaldus, examining the gooey mess. He approaches to just in front of the fancy half-orc... and removes his wine decanter. He unplugs the stopper. "Sir Ugghra, if you would be so kind as to brace me. Be ready now." When they are set he aims the neck of the decanter at the nearest of the mess and says, commandingly "Eldus Faithfullious." A stream of water under extremely high pressure erupts from the bottle, pushing him back into the half orc. He will attempt to clear off a 5x5 area or so, then speak the word again to shut off the spray, so they can hopefully examine the floor underneath...
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#149 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ozwaldus smartly wants to prevent whatever fumes and smoke that burning the goo might produce so, he takes charge of the situation. He squeezes up to the front of the hallway and pulls out his wine container. He asks the large orcman to brace him as he pulls out the stopper of his decanter.

Water shoots out of the thing like Orando after a hard night of drinking. He easily clears the goo off of the floor directly in front of the hallway and then stops the flow. The light is passed ahead and the goo is looked at closely. It appears to be blood and other bodily fluids mixed with gooy remnants of what look like body parts. The bottom layers are dried and crusty but the top is wet and gooey.

Inside the room you now see three unusual doors that surround a black pentagram burnt into the middle of the floor. The doors on either side of the room are made of a strange black material. The one across the room from you is just out of your light source and is hard to see but, it looks to be made of something different than the others.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (296.64 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Inferno »

"I Say, Can You Make Out Any Footprints In The Ghastly Muck?" the inhuman investigator enquires.
"At The Uppermost Layer, Or Any Other? Are There Bloody Handprints Upon Any Of The Doors or Walls?" Sir Ugghra peers in to see for himself with his elegant, monstrous eyes.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Grognardsw »

The pentagram is clear of the goo? Does it seem to hold off, or repel the goo? How many feet is a square on the map? Thanks.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#153 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry, the map squares are 5'.
The pentagram seems to have the layers of goo burnt off of it. The outline appears charred and there are small bowl-like indentations in the stone floor where the 5 points are.

The orcman fails to notice any bloody handprints anywhere on the walls or doors. As the goo is mostly liquid on the top layer, tracks are hard to make out.
Scott308

#154 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

The priest walks over to the pentagram. Shaking his head he says, This abomination cannot be allowed to remain. Who knows what foul rituals took place here? I will not allow more to occur. With that proclamation, the priest pulls a vial from his bag, unstoppers it, and splashes his holy water upon the evil configuration. Having done so, he begins uttering a prayer to try to cleanse the evil from this place.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Grognardsw »

"This is not natural and bodes ill," mutters Orando. "The pentagram may have been or remain a focal point for the a summoning that brought this muck here. Do I recall rumor of a magical experiment or spell gone bad that killed Mortimer? I suppose we must continue, so washing a path through is wise. I propose the north door."

With a bemused look on his face, Orando watches Father Dowling douse the pentagram with holy water. He steps back with weapon ready.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The pentagram sizzles as the holy water is poured onto it.

With a closer look into the room you now see the doors on both sides of you look to be made of a strange black stone-like material. They are both massive and you can't tell how they open. You can just barely make out the silhouettes of creatures that looks like short humanoids on the other sides. They appear to be banging and clawing on the insides of the doors, possibly trying to get at you.

The door straight ahead is made of a different material altogether. It looks like metal of some kind, possibly bronze or brass. There is a spiral indentation in the very center of the metal. The recessed spiral looks to be identical in size and design to the one that you've seen on Brother Tomas. There are no other markings or visible workings on the doors.
Cauchy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#157 Post by Cauchy »

Epi

The ranger keeps an eye out up the shaft for anything that may be attempting to follow.
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Inferno »

"I Dare Say Perhaps That Metal Door Instead? The Others Seem To Hold Prisoners of This Tomb's Master. And I'm Not Quite Ready To Join Them Just Yet.

"Now, Where Has That Confounded Holy Symbol of Brother Tomas Gotten Off To?"
the supercilious savage says, glancing at the kleptomaniacal he/she-elf.

Can anyone cast Find Traps in this room, since we're lacking a thief?
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.
Scott308

#159 Post by Scott308 »

Father Dowling

I must agree. I have no interest in meeting whatever is trying to get through those doors.

Dowling can cast Find Traps. Do we want him to cast it?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando, mage

Orando steps into the middle of the pentagram and opens himself to feeling its magic forces, if any.

"I believe Father Tomas has his holy symbol."

Return to “Can You Help A Brother Out? (1E)”