Chapter 5: Nameless Things

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 5: Nameless Things

#301 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco watches Vindo twirl his new blade and tries to follow suit, looking a bit more awkward than he'd hoped. "I will call this blade.....Letopna, after my second Aunt, twice removed, on my fathers side."

He spins his new sling around as well, looking a bit more qualified for such a weapon. "This I will call......Seeker."

Then he nonchalantly walks back up to the ring box and draws another choice, this time putting it on his hand while he slips his first choice into his pocket, as is his way.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hefting a sturdy yet elegant bow, Gilwennen regards it for a moment. "Galad'ador," she says, the name coming to her unbidden.

About to turn away she spies a sword which seems to be the matched twin of Naringë, only instead of cold, shimmering brightness, the blade exudes a somehow more immediate, intense and insistent radiance. Where the former is a memory of goodness, the latter is its calm, inexorable insistence.

Surely the blades were forged by the same hand - it seems fate she should find it here. Testing its perfect balance she inspects the pommel to find a name engraved there: "Naur Ithil," she reads aloud, quietly.

"What of these rings?" she says, approaching the bowl and taking one up to inspect it. "Are they a boon to us?"
I took liberties with the spelling and meaning, but:
Galad'ador = Light Thrower / Shooting star
Naur Ithil = Moon Fire

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone has been hesitant to touch the rings, but seeing that others are wearing them with no ill effects, she takes one for herself. [1d12] = 6 unless someone has already claimed it
Last edited by Urson on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#304 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen stands in amazement of the new bow. Can it possibly be a finer weapon than Baudhring? I name thee Nagthúl, she says. Windbiter.

Taking the blade, she again wonders at its craftsmanship. Limrîw, she names it. Quickstrike.

These rings are not the Three, nor the Nine.
Nor the One. Are some of them, perhaps, the Seven?
Tinuwen takes one for herself, putting it on her index finger on her left hand.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#305 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot
hedgeknight wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 am Gilda Ironfoot

"Me thinks," she whispers to her brother, "to name me new pick Amoruk Seekrumm. What ye think? Maybe sommat else, eh?"
Amoruk Seekrumm > Heart Seeker
Not bad. Mine was already named. Look. Glasik shows her the runes engraved on the blade. Ghal Maraz. Skull Splitter. I shall do my best to have it live up to the name history has given it.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Midday. Cloudy, damp, cold

The first part of their quest is complete! The Company gain unimagined treasures of the ancient world.

Elbenwin alone feels the pull of the black stone orb. He alone dares approach it as the torchlight flickers alluringly across its smooth, ebon surface.

The shimmering rings betray no effect when worn. And the legendary weapons are rechristened by the Company!

"Birr and Leg-Stitcher!" proclaims Vindoboduoc the Wildman.
"Windbiter and Quickstrike!" declares Tinuwen the elf.
"Moon Fire and Shooting Star!" affirms her sister, Gilwennen.
"Heart Seeker!" whispers Gilly the dwarf.
"Skull Splitter!" grunts her brother, Glasik.
"Dragon Cleaver!" asserts Elbenwin the ranger.
"Gaelcrist!" exclaims Rumil the elf.
"Seeker and... Letopna!" cries Folco the hobbit, in the dear memory of his second aunt, twice removed.

Now armed with fabled and mighty weapons of old, the Company are ready to continue their desperate quest of vengeance against Smaug the terrible!

Actions?!

Map Detail:
One square = 20 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory.

Map:

Wilderland Map:

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 29/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 29/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 11/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 26/41, Torch
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 20/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 13/13, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 7/8, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl, Torch
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 16/31, Torches
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/19, Torch
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"This seems to be the safest place to rest we have found yet and we may need to out run the foul creature trying to stop us. Perhaps we should rest now and regain as much strength as possible."

If resting Rumil will cast his last spell as CLW on Therone.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin agrees to rest - it is indeed the safest place we've found since we have started. He will strap his old sword to his pack tightly and wield his new found treasure. He holds off on a name just yet - let battle and fate decide what name should embrace a weapon forged of such skill...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#309 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

This does appear to be the safest place. It seems to early in the day to rest, though, unless we want to just wait here for the hours before we sleep. There is the southern passage that we have not explored. What are your thoughts on checking that out?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"That seems a good idea, we can fall back to here if we need to."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly shows Red her new pick and axe and asks the hound what he thinks. "This is Heart Seeker...and we are gonna kill a dragon, boy!" she ruffles the hound's ears and digs in her pack for something for Red to eat.

Once done, she hears Glasik's suggestion and agrees heartily. "Mayhap we be able to see if these weapons live up to their names, eh?"
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin holds lhûgcrist in his right hand and with his left reaches out and touches the orb

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Urson »

Therone
When she recieves the healing, Therone smiles- a rare thing, for her. Thank you, brother.

If the group is serious about resting here, Therone will settle in the hallway, near the secret door.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#315 Post by OGRE MAGE »

His curiosity getting the best of him, Folco looks closer at the swirling orb.

Why does he always have to look?

"What do you all think? Should I.....touch it?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo takes a step back before replying, "Yes, it seems the inevitable thing to do."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Urson »

Therone
No, you twice-damned fool!

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#318 Post by Old Duergar »

Naruthirdor

Seemingly entranced and held in awe for the longest of moments, the Elven one known as Naruthirdor resumes a stern, stoic expression, his scholarly nature clearly overcome at times by what would seem to be a range of expressions ranging from reserved elation through the occasional half-smile to sheer dread. The Elf's eyes fall upon the finely crafted rings in particular and a haunted look, making him looking even smaller, curbed and grim registers on his noble features.

In a hushed tone, yet brimming with obvious tension, Naruthirdor finally utters: "It is nor wise nor judicious for us to even touch or even bear the merest of glances upon artifacts of such kind. For some were forged by beings of skill unsurpassed, with towering wills and hidden purposes in Ages long past; woe to those who wield them lightly, for they invite the dooms and slumbering counsels of an Age Long Past, where Fire in its Forges burned hotter, its Stars burned brighter and its Deeds are all but Lost to us in this Age of Ruination. Many and hidden remain the machinations of the Enemy."

A deep sigh comes out of the Elf, a maudlin expression on his face, as he unfurls a clean handkerchief and picks up one of the rings, examining it closely. "Whilst some of them may be beneficial to this Company's cause, many were but powerful tools of the Enemy's cruel joug, imposing a dire fate on its wearer; to brandish them on our fingers without first learning as much as we may about them would be the most prudent of paths. The same is valid of this most peculiar Orb; I know not its doings and workings, nor would I ever delve unto Mysteries greater than those I am aware of."

His robes faintly rustling, Naruthirdor approaches the shimmering dagger, his tone less grave, with a small light-hearted undertone: "We are held in luck; for very few of the Free Peoples have ever been worthy of such a wondrous sight. If Moon, Sun and Fire were the First ElvenKing's fare, then I shall not offer insult to our most esteemed Host whose mind clearly relished in all sorts of Lights shining upon Arda.". Picking up the shimmering dagger, the Elf tries a couple swings with it, before raising its tip at eye-level and pronouncing solemnly: "I name thee Estel-galad: Hope's Light in Westron. May your latest bearer prove worthy of bringing even a faction of such in our darkened realm."

Clearly overcome, the scholar takes a few steps back into the shadowier parts of the vault and falls silent.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#319 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I agree with Glasik. We should search the southern passage before resting or moving on, says Tinuwen.

One of us should take the orb. If no one else does, Tinuwen places the orb in her pack with a gloved hand. She is careful not to touch it directly.

Sorry for the delays!
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Inferno »

SocraticLawyer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:06 pm Sorry for the delays!

No worries. You're in just under the wire. :smile:

Great first post, Old Duergar! Glad to have you aboard.

Onward...
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun