Woe is Me

Post here to introduce yourself.
Tragic Tales
Scout
Scout

Woe is Me

#1 Post by Tragic Tales »

Tragic Tales here, or just Tragic is fine. A long time gamer that cut his teeth on the D&D red box. I experienced the excitement of converting to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons from the basic set. A little thing that seemed so important at the time.

I’ve dabbled with play by post over the years. Being at home so much has encouraged me to get active online again. I am here to run a game. To take up the mantle of Dungeon Master, find a few stout adventurers and start a tale of our own.
Attachments
Tragic Tales: Woe is Me
Tragic Tales: Woe is Me
hurricane 1.gif (427.49 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Tragic Tales
Woe is Me

DM of Treasure Hunt

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Woe is Me

#2 Post by rredmond »

Welcome double-T!
Enjoy the forum!!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

Welcome aboard, Tragic!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Radrabbit »

Hello, post away. I'd be interested to see what you run
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Tragic Tales. It's great that you're looking to jump right in -- go for it!

Probably the best way to go about it is to create a recruitment post in the Looking for players or games topic with the game (and/or edition) you're looking to run, how many players you're looking to have join, and how frequently you expect the game to be updated or posting rate.

Good luck!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Welcome!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Welcome home! :D

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Welcome Tragic Tales! or TT :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by VonAlric »

Greetings and welcome!
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Tragic Tales
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by Tragic Tales »

Tonight I created an account in the dice roller and plan to experiment with that.
I'm reading my way through the help and support folder.

Baby steps right?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game with a good layout? Something to help me organize a game.
Tragic Tales
Woe is Me

DM of Treasure Hunt

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Tragic Tales wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a game with a good layout? Something to help me organize a game.
I do hope other DMs (as there are a lot of excellent ones here) will also chime in with their thoughts and recommendations, but here are my thoughts.

---

As for what's important in your game, it can vary, but you'll want to consider what are some of the more important details you'll eventually share in your game. Some ideas:

Game Setup
  • Someplace for your players to post their character sheets.
  • A dedicated spot where you post all your house rules and character creation rules.
  • You'll want a place outside of your main action threads for your players to post out-of-character chatter, or OOC.
  • It often underutilized, but a place for your players to post if they know they're going to be missing for a stretch of time could be helpful. The higher the posting frequency in your game, the more important this might be.
  • Given how relatively slow play-by-post games can be, it might be helpful to set up topics where you share background details about your game; or where you share maps or geographic information. A place to detail any non-player character information could be helpful, too.
In my games, I like to create a Table of Contents post (like here), saved as an 'Announcement' type post, which, as a ToC is meant to do, serves as a single location you/your players can go to find links to all the important pages used in your game.

Game Organization
One other suggestion I could make would be to track important game details in a "footer" section at the bottom of all your important game updates. What you contain in this "footer" section can vary greatly, and you can include as little or as much detail as you'd like. Keeping a constantly updated list of important details your characters might want to always know (e.g. health status of the characters, weather conditions, spells or unusual conditions in effect, time of day, etc....) is really helpful.

For me (example), I like to provide a LOT of details. Especially when you consider the information hidden in spoiler tags beneath each character. It's not always the easiest to keep everything perfectly detailed (e.g. I may forget to update hit points, or spells used, or the time of day) in one post, but if it's something you maintain consistently, there's always a history of what the "before" values were.

The effort (to me) is worth it as:
  • I use it as a reference myself (e.g. how many hit points or open spell slots does a character have left);
  • I almost never get questions from players wondering about these common details.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Dram »

Welcome Tragic.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Return to “Introductions and welcomes”