Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 4: In Darkness and In Peril

#261 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Folco, you still have the key for the door, correct? I'd hate to get locked in here if someone were to find it out there. He will continue keeping watch near the door, allowing everyone a chance to rest a bit, before waking Therone for the next watch shift.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly jerks awake and then hisses a curse when she notes Red's wounds.
She quickly washes the bite marks and then gives Red some water. "Clean those out, boy, and rest here while I go have a word with this furry footed feller."
She stomps over to Folco and sticks a nubby finger in his face. "If my dog dies of rat poisoning, I'ma gonna pull out every hair on your feet...one at a time!"

Gilly then stomps back to Red's side and checks on him; she won't sleep the rest of the night.
Winter is coming...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by rredmond »

Seeing that others are taking watch turns, Naruthirdor murmurs, "Wake me for a watch if needed, I will need some sleep to regain some restorative magic."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo offers to take first watch, being somewhat rested from having already spent most of the past two days on watch.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#266 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco shows the dwarves that he does still carry the key for the door. After being threatened by Gilly about her dog, the hobbit silently wonders why she had Red go along in the first place, but he keeps that thought to himself. He pulls his blanket over his proud feet as he rests, not wanting to tempt the surly dwarf while she is sleeping.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#267 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen finishes the rest of her watch, before taking her turn to sleep. She is so tired that she is unconscious almost as soon as her head hits the floor.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Halls of the First ElvenKing, The Mountains of Mirkwood, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Dawn. March 23, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Five. Damp, cold

Vindoboduoc and the Company survive the night in this dank and dreadful place. They are neither discovered nor assailed. But their dire situation, and that of all Middle Earth, torments their fitful sleep.

Against all odds, the gravely wounded Dunedain brothers regain consciousness in the night. They will live.

As the Company awakens in the grim gloom of the horrific orc-dungeon, terrible memories of a world in flames crash down upon the them. With a shudder they remember what has transpired and what they have sworn to do.

Actions? (It's dawn. The heroes are healed from rest.
Everyone received first aid so they gain another 1hp. Vindo's goblet adds another 2hp to Elbenarin.
Casters have new spell slots.
And a new Experience Point award is here. Congrats.)

Map:

Lit areas are visible. All else is from memory.

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 5/30
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 3/30
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 11/21
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 13/28
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 10/24
    Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 7/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 6/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/22
    Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
    Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 19/19
    Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 9/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin awakes in the darkness and quickly reaches for a sword. They must fight on!.....

He finds he is slow to move - body broken. Barely awake. Barely alive. Looking around cautiously he see's that the scene has changed. No fighting orcs. No comrades in need. It's quiet now. His brother is alive and breathing!

He prays silently in thanks for such a gift that has shifted Fate when all light seemed to have gone out....

He is slow to stand and make ready...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#270 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco arises and immediately starts breakfast.

"Well, I certainly didnt expect to get through the night without trouble."

He looks over Red, hoping that his injuries also healed through the night, but he keeps his distance from the growling dwarf woman, just in case she is still mad at him.

Finding his foot hair to still be intact, he addresses the others.

"If we are to go straight to the elven halls, at least we dont need to spend any more time looking through these horrid caves."

"Right?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone startles, kicking rotted straw as she jerks awake. She's on her feet before she's completely awake, fumbling for her blade.
When she realizes that they're relatively safe, she relaxes. She gnaws on some waybread and water, checking her weapons and armor.

She nods at Folco's comment, spraying a few crumbs as she speaks. True, Very true. But we still should go cautiously. The Uruk have long memories, and this mob knows our scents.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"I suggest each of us who can heal others expend one of our spells on those in need."

Scott308

#273 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Stretching out the knots as he stands, Glasik is glad they made it through the night. I am happy to see we are all awake today. Yesterday almost spelled our doom. We are not out of danger yet, however. The Uruks will be hunting us today, so if this is to be our last morning together, I am honored to have fought and bled with you. If we are to see another day, we need to use the one advantage we have over the Uruks. They know the area, and likely outnumber us. But we're smarter than they are. Well, not all of us, but some of you are very smart, and we'll need your minds more than we'll need my axe to get out of this trap.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by hedgeknight »

When Therone thrashes awake, Gilly startles and leaps up, fists ready to fight! Realizing there is no immediate danger, she scrubs her face with her hands and bends to check on Red. She smiles and pats him and gives him some water, glances at Folco with a wicked smile, and then attempts to crack her neck, her back, and just about every other bone in her body.
"I be stiff as a giant's pecker!" she grunts, grabbing her pack and digging around for some rations.

"What be the best way out of here and to the Elfin King's hall or throne room or wherever we need to be going?"
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo rises from his makeshift bed, looking less comfortable than his wild features would suggest.

Rubbing the tiredness out of his face, he says his piece. "A simple first step would be to scout out the entrance again. That will tell us firsthand whether we will need to explore further to find another way out of this cave. The best path to the Elfin King's hall is the one without orcs. By the by, what are you all out to find there? I have not discovered anything beyond the vaguest of rumors concerning this place, and half expected to find that its wealth had long ago run dry."

Scott308

#276 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Glasik stares hard at Vindo for a long time. Forgive my reticence. We have no choice but to trust you as you have shown no reason not to. When I explain, hopefully you will understand why we were slow to trust.

He pauses for a few moments before continuing.

We seek something to help defeat a great evil. The wizard, Gandalf the Grey- no, now the White- has sent us here. Lost somewhere within is something that will allow us to defeat the terrible wyrm, Smaug, who has returned to plague the land. We have seen firsthand the destruction left behind where he passes. According to Gandalf, this is our best, perhaps only, hope. You may have noticed the elven weapons a number of us carry. Those were a gift from an eleven king who wished to join our company, but Gandalf told him he would be needed elsewhere.

Our mission cannot fail. Somehow, one of us must survive to get...whatever we seek back to Gandalf. The future of the very world may depend on us. This is a responsibility you now share, having joined our merry band.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Starbeard »

Vindoboduoc returns the hard stare, and hopes the others do not see bulge in his throat or the sudden clamminess of his hands. He gives Glasik a firm nod and says no more.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen will rise and regard the others as they discuss the plan of action. At the suggestion that those with healing assist those in most need she nods and approaches Elbinarin as the one who seems most injured. She whispers into her cupped hands and then places them on the ranger's shoulder. A faint breeze blows through the cavern, giving a moment's respite from the stench of orc.

Cast Cure Light Wounds: [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil casts CLW on Elbenwin.
Cure Light Wounds [2d4+1] = 7+1 = 8

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by rredmond »

Even though he is nervous about expending healing energies this early in the day, Naruthirdor can see that the rangers are still both more hurt that the others.
CLW on -rin [2d4+1] = 7+1 = 8; -win [2d4+1] = 7+1 = 8
That brings everyone up to over 50% in HP it looks like. Naruthirdor has two more spells though if we need.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”