Chapter 24: Human Sacrifices

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 24: Human Sacrifices

#341 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stays an arm length away from the vines directly in front of him, holding his torch out upon them to see if they will ignite.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#342 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric continues attacking the spider with her hammer.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Inferno »

The Lichway, The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil
The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY

Within the sinister shrine, the ghastly undead acolytes draw nigh and begin to weave calamity and death with sorceries profane! The desperate heroes feel their doom falling into place all around them.

Suddenly it is as if the gods smile upon their noble efforts. Ingrid's blessed silence smothers the living cadavers' heinous witchcraft!

The amorphic shape of the writhing barricade flails at Jerome and Long Bo with tentacles of thorns, but the fearsome assault is repelled by sword and by shield!

And Rudolf deftly evades the horrific tarantula's deadly bite again!

Then Urdur the conjurer strikes the crawling arachnid horror blind!

Sightless, the looming terror is quickly bludgeoned and hacked asunder by Ingrid, Telkis, Rudolf, Mouser and Brevos! The immense tarantula collapses to the floor in a spray of hot crimson!

Jerome still struggles to wound the vine web creature!

Then the wise druid thrusts his blazing torch into the thrashing fibrous mesh and it is instantly engulfed in flames!

Mercifully, its piteous wails cannot be heard as the raging conflagration devours it alive! Flush to the alien wall, Jerome is seared (6hp damage) as the flashfire burns a path through the vine web!

At this dramatic turn of events, the heroes take heart. But only for a moment.

Suddenly, inexplicably, comes a nigh-deafening peal of thunder all around them!

DOOOOOM!

Actions?!

Map Detail:

One square = 5 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory. Asterisks and black dots by the room numbers don't represent anything.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 18/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 3/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/20, Laying Hands: 0/1, Deafened
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 14/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 22/34, Torch at feet
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl and 1/2 2nd lvl, Torch at feet
PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos charges into the silence assaulting the undead acolyte

[1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14
[1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by rredmond »

"That can't be good," Rudolf yells as the DOOOM dies away. "We need to get the girl and get out of here quickly!"
Rudolf jumps up on the spider's abdomen and looks down the hall, and up at the ceiling, to see if they have any more unexpected visitors following behind the spider. He also checks around for webbing from the spider, "a flaming spider barrier might be good in case we need to make a hasty retreat, dang I don't have any oil!"
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308

#346 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Ingrid moves her hammer to attack X2.
Spiritual Hammer (18): [1d20] = 16; Damage S/M: [1d6] = 1; Damage L: [1d4] = 1
Well, on the one hand, I most likely hit. On the other hand, it's almost the same as a miss. :oops:
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome lets out a very un-paladin-like squawk as he gets burnt.
Even as he's trying to pat out the flames on himself, he charges (X1). He tries to ignore the threatening DOOM .

[1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 melee

should have left well enough alone!
[1d8] = 7 Drop Weapon.
Dex 9. [1d20] = 3
His weapon clatters away, leaving him both embarrassed and furious.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#348 Post by SocraticLawyer »

When Urdur sees that the undead creatures have been Silenced by Ingrid, he gets an idea. He weaves magical incantations, disappearing from sight. Casts Invisibility on self.

If there is still time this round,
he runs through the opening in the vine web assuming the flames are out, unseen and (hopefully) unheard, towards the sleeping (?) Amity.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser moves forward to help where he can. He keeps an eye on their rear should something new try and surprise them.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#350 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo waits for a moment, allowing the fighters to charge past him into the room.

He then moves to the threshold where the vine was just burned and looks at the girl on the altar with his magically enhanced vision. From there, he looks upon the frightening acolytes next.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Inferno »

The Lichway, The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil
The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY

DOOOOOM! comes the roaring sound from everywhere and nowhere at once.

The silent flames hungrily devour the last of the otherworldly vine web and the skeletal horrors charge forth, descending upon the closest heroes!

Ingrid and Long Bo defend the ruinous assault but Jerome is slashed by the cold bony claws of the living dead!

Horrifically, the beleaguered paladin feels his life force being drained away! (2hp damage and lose 2 points of Strength!)

Mouser and Rudolf confirm the rear flank is clear. They find no webbing around the giant tarantula's bloody corpse. "We need to get the girl and get out of here quickly!" Rudolf shouts to those that can still hear him.

Long Bo looks upon his cadaverous assailants with mystic sight and finds none of them emanate active magicks. He stares past the gaunt abominations, at the innocent child upon the sacrificial altar and sees that she is bathed in it!

DOOOOOM! comes a crash like a thousand horses thundering across cobblestones!

Urdur weaves deception and falsehoods out of thin air! The gnomish conjurer renders himself unseen to mortal eyes and steps toward young Amity Mantle!

Ingrid's blessed hammer of righteousness strikes the leering carcass that grasps for her throat (X2), wounding it! Then Brevos charges in and decapitates the ghastly horror with one fell-handed stroke of Brood! The shrieking skull shatters upon the stone floor.

Despite his bravery, Telkis cannot land a telling blow against the undead terrors of the evil shrine! And, weakened with bone-chilling cold, Jerome nearly loses his sword grip in the life and death struggle!

DOOOOOM! comes the booming blast, like the toll of a bell for those whose time has come.

Actions?!

Map Detail:

One square = 5 feet. Lighter areas are visible. All else is from memory. Asterisks and black dots by the room numbers don't represent anything.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 18/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 3/5 1st lvl and 2/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 7/20, Laying Hands: 0/1, Deafened
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 3/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 14/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 22/34, Torch at feet, Deafened
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 2/11, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl and 0/2 2nd lvl, Torch at feet
PC Magic:
Player Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by wolfpack »

get the girl and get back I will hold them

brevos shouts at ingrid as he strikes the nearest undead

[1d20+1] = 19+1 = 20
[1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by rredmond »

Rudolf continues to watch the rear as well as he can. Not really wanting anything to be sneaking up on them again. He will also plunge his magical short into it's abdomen. Just to see what happens, and to see if it's eaten anything useful lately. :twisted:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#354 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Still attempting to get out of the way of the real fighters, Bo instead gives the monster attacking him a huge man hug.

Spear Attack [1d20] = 1 Damage [1d6] = 6 :roll:

Fumble [1d8] = 5 :(

Scott308

#355 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Ingrid uses her Spiritual Hammer to smack X3. It disappears after it hits the undead fiend.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser stays back - not sure where he can add any help to the group up front...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Behind you! says unseen Urdur to Jerome. The fast little gnome runs behind the paladin, towards little Amity. If he can safely do so, he scoops the little one into his arms, running back the way he came as fast as he can.

If all goes well, he says to the group, without stopping, I've got her, let's get outta here!!
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome pales, his eyes going wide as he feels his life being sucked away. He holds onto his blade, more by good luck than good sense. He moves forward, ready to attack, but can't see an opening between his teammates.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by Inferno »

Urson wrote:Jerome
He moves forward, ready to attack, but can't see an opening between his teammates.
Hi Urson,
Jerome of the Mighty oak is "JM" on the map below. No one stand between him and the undead horror, X1.
I see you rolled to hit. I'll go with that.
:)

DM:

Player: