Re: Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#241 Post by wolfpack »

[1d20] = 9

this can't be good

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#242 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#243 Post by SocraticLawyer »

How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#244 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo shakes his head vigorously to clear the black thoughts from his mind, his long grey hair flying in every direction.

He studies the expressions and the mannerisms of the others as he tries to maintain his own sanity.

Save vs. Spells (14) [1d20] = 14

"All hail the nothing.......I am going inside while my spell still lasts."

The druid waits to see the reactions from the others before ducking under the gate.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

“All Who Enter here are a Gift to The Nothing! We Hail The Nothing and Freely Offer Everything There Is Unto It!” Mouser says in a voice that is not his own.

With those eldritch syllables, suddenly and unexpectedly, Jerome the paladin lies down before the stonegate. "I offer myself freely to The Nothing," he declares sincerely, opening his breastplate. "'Ai! 'Ai! Shub-Niggurath!"

"'Ai! 'Ai! Shub-Niggurath!" responds Brevos as he draws his cold glowing blade and raises his other hand in joyous exaltation of The Nothing!

Suddenly, Rudolf appears from Nowhere! Crouching over the sacrificial paladin, he grips his enchanted shortsword with both hands and thrusts it down into Jerome's heart (-14 hp damage)!

Jerome cries out in pain and ecstasy as Rudolf coos softly, reverently, “You are a Gift to The Nothing. The Nothing.”

Shock and horror returns Mouser to his senses. A foul taste lingers on his lips left by words that were not his own.

An eerie, disorienting sensation of deja vu, of the horrific acts perpetrated at the strange black altar in the witch-haunted woods, ravages the heroes' sanity and their souls.

Actions?! Bo, Ingrid, Mouser, Telkis and Urdur only. (Bo may use his already-posted action, if OM wishes.)

Map Detail:

One square = 5 feet. Greyer areas are water.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
PCs that made their save are Surprised. These actions are unexpected, all eyes are on Mouser while Jerome and Rudolf act, and Rudolf is invisible. The PCs that made their saves will act last this round.

The DMG rules on dispatching a helpless victim says it takes one round to kill them. In keeping with the merciful DM style for which I am famous ;) , I won't do that. Instead, Rudolf's attack is an automatic critical hit doing maximum damage.

Ingrid makes her Save thanks to her Wisdom bonus, her Signet Ring of Khorst (Ring of Protection, +2 vs Evil only), and Jerome's Protection From Evil aura.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 2/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34, Torch
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome laughs with joy, blood spattering from his lips.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser clutches his pack straps tights and stands transfixed.."not again...."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by rredmond »

For half a moment of sanity Rudolf thinks, well this is an ironic switch... but then The Nothing quickly takes hold again and his grip on his sword tightens.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#249 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur tries to recover his senses quickly. With only a moment to act, he weaves an arcane sorcery, hopefully strong enough to overpower the evil force taking over his friends.

Casts Hypnotism targeting Rudolf, Jerome, Brevos, and Mouser, or as many of that group as possible.

You should drop your weapons! We are all dear friends!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#250 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stops his advance under the gate when his party starts killing each other again.

He doesn't shout or cry out in anger, instead spinning his spear around to bonk in the head anyone wishing to strike out at a fellow friend.

Striking to subdue, if still necessary after the spell. Spear Attack [1d20] = 18 Damage [1d6] = 1

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Aw, fløøst! Knock it off, friends!" shouts Telkis. He will jump over Jerome and try to intervene between Rudolf and the hapless Paladin.
I seem to remember that grappling for Telkis, as he is small, was ruled impractical? But he'd like either to do that, or if not really possible, to strike to subdue:Morningstar +1 (THAC0 19): To Hit:[1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18, Damage: vs s/m [2d4+1] = 3+1 = 4, vs L [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5

Scott308

#252 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Seeing the horrific injury that Jerome willingly acccepts, the cleric attempts desperately to save his life! Nooooo! Rushing to his side, she places her hands upon him, beseeching Holy Tritherion to send his power through her.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

Their minds are changed. Remade by understanding. Transformed by dark enlightenment.

At the threshold of the heinous shrine of atrocities, an innocent paladin is being sacrificed to The Nothing... by his friend. In joy and ecstasy, Jerome laughs up blood.

"Yes!" he weeps.

Then everything happens at once.

"The Nothing," whispers Rudolf.

"not again..." pleads Mouser softly in his own voice.

"Nooooooo!" cries Ingrid Esthof.

Suddenly Urdur appears out of nowhere, weaving a spell of ensorcellment!

And then the ranger is upon him. Swiftly moving to defend the sacrifice of the paladin to The Nothing, Brevos' cold glowing sword narrowly misses Urdur's head!

Dodging the deadly blade, Urdur manages to croak: "You should drop your weapons! We are all dear friends!"

Rudolf, Jerome, Brevos, and Mouser feel compelled to comply with the gnome's overpowering suggestion. Weapons fall from their open hands, clattering on the stones. Rudolf's crimson-stained sword drops into the ground three inches from paladin's right eye.

The halfling readies to strangle Jerome to death with his bare hands. And then Telkis throws down his torch, leaps over the willing sacrificial paladin, and crashes into Rudolf, taking the hobbit rogue to the ground.

With fervent orisons to holy Trithereon, Ingrid miraculously heals Jerome! (+6hp)

Believing the altercation is ended, the grey druid stays his attack.

Rudolf, Jerome, Brevos and Mouser suddenly return to their senses. Mercifully, they have no memory of the dark understanding that blossomed within their beleaguered minds at Mouser's forbidden syllables.

Actions?! (everyone may act freely)

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Greyer areas are water.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
This post is the second half of the same combat round from my previous post.
Urdur's Hypnosis: number affected: [1d6] = 6
Save vs Spells: Rudolf, Jerome, Brevos, and Mouser: [1d20] = 10, [1d20] = 7,[1d20] = 7, [1d20] = 2 All fail.
Brevos was not among the surprised PCs. He has not acted yet but will do so now.
Brevos attacks Urdur: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5, damage: [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3 Misses.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 8/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • Detect Magic (Bo): Duration: 2 rounds
    Read Magic (Mouser) Duration: 4 rounds
    Hypnotism (Urdur): Duration: 4 rounds. Targets: Rudolf, Jerome, Brevos, Mouser
Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome snatches a dagger from his belt and moves to slit his own throat...

...When the madness clears, and he stops, shuddering. He presses a hand to the closing wound in his chest.Thank you, Sister Ingrid. I believe you've saved my life.

He closes his eyes and whispers a prayer to St. Cuthbert, Laying on Hands for a bit more healing. 6 points
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis senses the change in Rudolph, but slaps him across the face anyway before letting him up.
Not to harm. :)
“Rudolph... please don’t do that again,” he says with a mix of irritation and sadness.

“Let’s go in. Standing around here will help nothing,” he says, resigned.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos looks around confused as he sees Brood on the ground. he picks up his blade

what...what happened

Scott308

#257 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Mouser read the writing on the wall. Unfortunately, it was some evil curse or incantation that some of us were affected by, almost resulting in Jerome's death as a sacrifice to this so-called "Nothing." I would suggest, for safety, that none of us read anything we find written while in this foul place. Once again, something we read while facing this evil has almost been our undoing.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#258 Post by SocraticLawyer »

The now visible Urdur addresses his comrades. I know not whether my spell has cleared your minds fully, or only temporarily. To be safe, you might want to dispose of your weapons for now. Just for a few minutes....

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser apologizes a little weakly “the writing looked familiar. Thought it might be useful”.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by rredmond »

“Oi!” Rudolf yells at Telkis, he attempts to shrug the gnome off, realizing quickly that he’s overmatched by his height-peer. ”Wee bit unnecessary that,” he says when he’s allowed up. He cleans his blade with a scrap of rag and a look of disgust. He throws the rag under the gate, spitting aggressively in the same direction. He looks at his sword, slams it into its scabbard, looks at Mouser and unconsciously moves away, then looks around and asks, “what happened? Was it the same thing as the evil altar in the woods?”
Did it feel the same?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”