Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#1 Post by Inferno »

Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

The Mountain Pass, The Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eighteen. Dusk. Tuesday, November 29th, 576 CY
Cold, damp, overcast.

Ten days later, the heroes have survived crossing the pass through the dark mountains.

They come searching for the supposed site of an ancient shrine, the vile source of the evil that plagued Briarsgate. And to find a little girl who was taken there, from the Ashblood Colony of religious dissenters, by a coven of heinous witches.

Plagued by cold, snow and nightly dreams of an horrific abomination sleeping beneath the forbidding mountain spine...

...they traversed east northeast beneath the towering black peaks until they had come out the other side.

They have yet to find any wolfsbane, even by the magicks of the grey druid. Only once had they heard a distant howling of wolves and that was five nights ago.

It is sunset now and they stand at the edge of a humble settlement near the eastern trailhead of the mountain pass. In the shadow of a fearsome black mountain, the largest in the chain, two dozen humble buildings huddle together against the bitter cold. Many are abandoned.

One timeworn shack is a public house with yellow light flickering within. Despite that warm glow, the heroes know that in rustic backwaters like this, during these dark and troubled times, spellcasters are often burned as witches.

Actions?

Map:

The red X marks the supposed location of an ancient shrine; the source of the evil that plagued Briarsgate.
The green X is the heroes' position.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#2 Post by rredmond »

"Should a few of us quieter types scout it out first," offers an unseen Rudolf, "or do we not split the party, inviting certain death for us all, and go in together?"
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After a grueling week and a half in the freezing conditions of the wild, Bo is glad to see a hint of civilization again.

"What have I done? By my estimation, we are farther north than we need to be. I was so focused on finding us some weed, that I missed the fact that we were traveling too far. It is as if the grips of the evil that haunts this place is trying to prevent us from finding our destination in time!"

After pondering their map for a moment longer, the grey druid addresses the halflings suggestion in his deep baritone voice.

"I think we should go in together. We've nothing to hide. If the settlers here want to point fingers and make accusations, let them. I think we can handle ourselves."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#4 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I agree. We have had tragic results more than once when we have split up. I do not think it necessary to do so here. If something were to go wrong, best to have the full group present.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur says, I agree, let's keep together.

I should probably also make us visible again. I'm concerned about what the villagers might think if there are invisible entities following the group around.

If the party agrees, Urdur drops the mystic invisibility on himself and Rudolf before heading into the village.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will lead the way t the cottage with the light on.

we should be weary for all we know t could be a witches cottage

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Jerome nods, and leads the way. We are all near death from the weather. Aside from all else, we should all benefit from whatever heat we can get.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will keep an eye out for any small rodent activity, or perhaps signs of a badger or rabbit. He can’t remember the last time he talked to an honest burrowing creature. Was it the frightened rabbit they talked to right before they were savaged by wolves so long ago? It seemed an eternity since then. He’d love to get recent news of the goings on here, but more importantly, he’d just like a good chat.

“Could be a normal village. Could be all corrupt like, well... any other village we’ve ever visited together. This close to the source, it seems likely, even. I’m of half a mind we should avoid the inhabitants outright, but we should stick together, at any rate,” he says.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

SocraticLawyer wrote:Urdur says, I agree, let's keep together.

I should probably also make us visible again. I'm concerned about what the villagers might think if there are invisible entities following the group around.

If the party agrees, Urdur drops the mystic invisibility on himself and Rudolf before heading into the village.
"I would say maybe leave one or both of us invisible," Rudolf offers cautiously, "not that I want to be untrustworthy of walking into scary towns, you know since the last two worked out so well, but... You can always make me visible later (or when no one is looking), especially if there's food that needs eating, but I can be more helpful to us invisible. And any sensible person we meet will understand the need for our caution in this neck of the wood methinks." Rudolf won't fight the party if the general consensus is to make him visible, he just would rather be invisible when the army of zombies and werewolves come out of these cottages.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser agrees with a shivering nod to stick together. He'll keep to the shadows and scout ahead as he can. "What chances is it that this village - so close to the evil shrine we seek - is untouched? The town we came across days away was completely overrun with evil..."

Scott308

#11 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

We should definitely be prepared for trouble. I don't know how sensible the villagers will be.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

A Settlement Beneath the Dark Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eighteen. Dusk. Tuesday, November 29th, 576 CY
Cold, damp, overcast.

With dread foreboding, the heroes brace themselves and enter the frozen hamlet in the shadow of the frightful, dark mountains.

There, Telkis finds no wild animals with which to converse. Six shivering figures, leaving eight tracks in the snow behind them, watchfully approach the humble public house with Jerome bravely leading the way.

They swing the door open with a creak and all conversation within the rustic tavern dies.

There might be a dozen stout men in here. Their grim faces bear honest witness to lives of toil and hardship.

In the chilly silence, every eye appraises the unexpected strangers with surprise and distrust.

Actions?

Map:

The red X marks the supposed location of an ancient shrine; the source of the evil that plagued Briarsgate.
The green X is the heroes' position, at the settlement.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Looking at the the locals who appear uneasy with a group of strangers appearing suddenly, the cleric attempts to preemptively defuse the situation. We are cold and tired. Can we please get food and drink? She gives a quick look to her companions. And I believe my friends here would like to buy a round for those of you already here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph stays quiet and observes what's going on checking in particular for any weapons in the establishment.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Aware that humans in small, removed hamlets are not typically the most welcoming of non-humans, Telkis stays quiet, giving only a pleasant (he hopes) respectful nod to the room as their cleric speaks.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser embraces what warmth he can from the room and thinks quiet optimistically about a drink.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Hail to all who are here! We have travelled for days in the snow and cold, and are desperate to be rid of the chill.

Jerome performs a complex gesture with both hands- a blessing of St. Cuthbert. He then does Detect Evil to try and evaluate the folks here.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur stays near the back of the group, doing his best to remain silent.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stays outside the building for a moment as the others enter. He looks around in the snow to see if there are any tracks leading to or from the building. He also looks around at the roofs and sky above, hoping to find any sign of avian life that he might be able to speak with.

He tries to strain his hearing so he doesn't miss what is being said inside the tavern, peering through frosted windows if any are available.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos keeps his hood up, staying quiet allowing the more friendly and charismatic among them speak.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”