Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

Inferno
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#221 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome startles, stung by the "Not rescuing little girls" comment. As soon as he's able, he'll start working his way under the stone gate.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

Ghostly, unseen Rudolf examines the exquisite details etched upon the stonegate of the heinous subterranean shrine. He discovers arcane runes that seem to have been chipped away. But he finds no hidden dangers laying in wait.

"...everywhere - the voice was everywhere..." Mouser shudders, pale and shivering.

Ingrid and Brevos call out for Urdur. There is no reply. Nor does the grey druid see any clouds of frost to betray the spectral gnome's presence.

Rudolf and Jerome peer beneath the monolithic portal, but their view is obscured by a figure moving under the gate with a torch, coming right toward them! Telkis suddenly emerges out of the darkness and the cold of the black gap beneath the stonegate. If Urdur is with him, lurking invisibly, none can say.

The frightful demon voices beyond threshold shriek again!

"You are a gift to The Nothing! The Nothing!”

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Grey areas are water.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 16/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34, Torch
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Urson »

Jerome
jerome is ready to slide under the gate when Telkis returns. He stops to hear what the bold little Gnome can tell them about the other side.
He's ready to jeer back at the voice beyond the gate- to try and boost his own lagging courage, if nothing else- but then he remembers the tale of Simon of Goznic, and says nothing.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Two doors. Look like gaping mouths. One going north, one going south. Cold room full of leering faces... we were stepping on them. Don't know if they're real - Urdur said it was a spell," he looks to his side where Urdur should be and adds:"He came out with me... Urdur?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#225 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I'm here says the unseen little gnome. Its cold back there!

I think we may have tripped some kind of alarm. I think the voice is a magic mouth, a type of phantasm that makes noise when you find it. In any event, nothing scary tried to kill us. If we are going to explore the rooms down there, we should do so as a group.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#226 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Assuming everyone is all right, even if a bit shaken by what you've seen, we should figure out our next step before going any further. Do we wish to go north or south? I feel we should know what we are going to do when we enter so we have no confusion. At this point, we should consider ourselves in hostile territory. Which door are we going to? Who is checking the door- if anyone? What order are we travelling? The more sure we are of exactly what we are doing, the better. We should all stay together, especially those we cannot see. Speak up periodically so we know you are still with us and unharmed. I fear getting separated in this place could be fatal.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by wolfpack »

I found faint footprints in the rubble, leading from the cave, along the wharf and into the stonegate. I believe s there were one or two adults, women perhaps, and a small child. Likely the girl we seek and more of the cursed witches.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“Perhaps there will be signs inside of which door the tracks themselves enter?” says Telkis.

In truth, he never understood tracking. Clear signs of passage to those trained in the art we’re all but invisible to his eye. He sometimes wondered if they were making it up, just following a hunch.
Last edited by ChubbyPixie on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Urson »

Jerome
You've got the truth of it, Sister Ingrid.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by rredmond »

"You have some knowledge of runes, yes Mouser? Have you seen these," Rudolf throws some dirt on to the runes he's discovered, to make it more obvious to the party. "Perhaps there's a 'back door', so we don't have to go this way," Rudolf says to the rest stroking his invisible nonexistent beard. "Hopefully, it isn't by the water. Hobbits aren't very... floaty," he says with a smile, "the only tracks we've seen go through these gates?" As he talks Rudolf will walk the south wall to see if there's anything odd about it, or if it becomes different in any way - like one wall is temporary, or a hidden entrance way or anything like that. He's going to check the eastern docking bay next, but the water makes him nervous. :D

Rudolf will walk the worked southern wall about half-way, just past the second docking bay, just to see if he'll get lucky - but still be within view of the party (if he feels he's getting out of view of the party, then that's where he'll stop). Then he'll walk back along the wall checking for secret doors, as much as time will allow. If the party starts to move, or anything bad comes into this area, he moves double-time back to the party.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#231 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo continues looking under the gate to see if anything from inside is coming towards them.

"Will the alarm voice simply stop now that we've exited? Let's wait and see. I do agree with making a solid plan for all of us before entering again. Following the tracks seems as good a plan as any, if we can find the path once inside."

"Perhaps we would benefit from reading these inscriptions before we decide, as Rudolf suggests."
He looks to the mage types and shrugs.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser peers at the inscription and see if he can find something familiar or readable. He'll hold of on using his precious spells to read it unless it's the only option.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear.

Mouser gazes upon the meticulous, elegantly engraved horrors depicted on the ancient stonegate. Without the aid of magic, he cannot decipher any inscription.

Brevos grimly confirms the tracks of the condemned witches and the innocent little girl lead to the stonegate.

Unseen, Rudolf searches the southern wall for a secret entrance, to no avail. He continues the search, edging away from the monolithic portal.

The grey druid peers under the gate into freezing black abyss. To his eldritch vision, the entire chamber beyond the threshold is steeped in foul sorcery. And from that cold dark maw, the eerie sounds they first detected in the graveyard can be heard, still alien and unidentifiable.

Again, so close to their dread goal, the heroes falter momentarily. The fear is palpable. They steel their resolve.

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Greyer areas are water.

PC Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser will cast read magic and attempt to read the message...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by ravenn4544 »

Inferno wrote: The spell is cast and Mouser gains understanding. He reads the inscriptions on the stonegate:

"This is The Fifth Octacle!"
Now Mouser sees that the damaged cuneiforms are mystical protection runes, sundered long ago, indicating the shrine was once defended like a fortress.

"This is The Greater Servitude!”
There is what appears to be an incomplete sorcerous formula for trapping and channeling the energies of tortured and obedient souls in some kind of liquid.

And then Mouser reads:

“All Who Enter here are a Gift to The Nothing! We Hail The Nothing and Freely Offer Everything There Is Unto It!”
Mouser stands back and takes in what he has read. He shares with the group the unholy writings... not yet sure what to make of it. The vile nature of physically capturing a victim's pain into a tangible form is somehow.. curious.

The magic runs it's course and the gate becomes indecipherable again.. he shakes his head to clear the incongruous visions that arose from the translation...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Inferno »

Freezing cold, clear.

Mouser reads the dread words inscribed upon the stonegate aloud and his voice changes, becoming like unto the inhuman daemonic shrieks from beyond its fearsome threshold!

Mouser says:

“All Who Enter here are a Gift to The Nothing! We Hail The Nothing and Freely Offer Everything There Is Unto It!”

And suddenly, the sorcerous language changes everything. The heroes feel a cataclysmic shift in themselves, in their minds.

The potent words of power undulate all around them and suddenly, it all becomes crystal clear. Mouser realizes he knows what the words mean. He has known all along. The implications. The resonance. How could he have ever forgotten? Of course. This is what was meant to be. How could it be otherwise?

Everyone, please Save vs Spells.

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Greyer areas are water.

PC Status:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by ravenn4544 »

Save vs spells (12) [1d20] = 18

OOC: sorry if this turns out bad :oops:

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by rredmond »

Save vs. Spells (11): [1d20] = 1
Oof, well that's just perfect timing... what is it Inferno? 4d6c1 six times?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Save vs Spells: 14

Stat check [1d20] = 1 :cry:

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”