Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

Inferno
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#181 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric follows along, holding her holy symbol and muttering prayers to Tritherion.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis startles a bit at Rudolf's disembodied voice, but keeps trudging forward. He wraps his fur cloak tighter around himself and thanks Garl he didn't foolishly bring that young impressionable mouse from the village along for company, as comforting as it would have been. He also feels thankful that if he is to die, ass he surely must, he will not, at least, die as a cursed beast.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#183 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo swallows hard, but the lump in his cold throat remains.

”We have fought through worse things than some scary doorway, friends.”

“Keep your wits about you in there, and keep an eye on each other. If there is evil present powerful enough to sap a paladins inner strength in such a way, we may very well be in over our heads. We will need to work together as one in order to survive this test.”

The druid readies a torch if necessary.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser follows without a sound.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur follows unseen.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Inferno »

Burial Ground of the Ancient Shrine of Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. After midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

Here, at the top of the world, far from civilization and hope, the heroes grimly move forward through the graveyard, ready at last to accept their fate.

In doubt and dread, they follow the bone road through the bone-chilling cold, and enter the forbidding mountain. There, they discover a deep glacial cave glistening with ice undisturbed for centuries without number.

Through their slow, painstaking advance toward whatever unknown horrors await them, Rudolf's eerie disembodied voice repeatedly requests that they stop so he might search for lurking deathtraps. None are discovered.

By the torchlight of the grey druid and the once-young paladin, the heroes cautiously tread deeper through the frozen cavity, locating a passageway in its back wall.

It leads to a steep stairwell cut into the timeless living rock.

They carefully descend. Over their murmured prayers, the abominable high-pitched screech grows louder with every step.

At the bottom of their long descent, another dark tunnel awaits them.

It opens onto a vast water-filled subterranean cavern. The air here is warmer.

A river gently flows south from the lake, forded by a stone bridge that leads to an immense underground fortification.

It looms over them, a vast menace of despair.

Older than time imaginable, the brooding citadel stands eternal and silent, limned in an eerie green phosphorescence that casts a ghastly pall.

Motifs of death and demons grace its sinister, alien architecture. And beneath its impregnable walls, a stone wharf runs along the water's edge (at 1). It bears three fortified towers between which are two docking bays with steps down to the underground lake.

In the distance to the east (at 3), a great stone gate leads into the lost shrine of ancient evil.

At long last, the heroes have reached their horrific goal.

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Grey areas are water.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 16/20, Laying Hands: 1/1, Torch
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome snuffs his torch, hoping the unearthly glow will be enough light. He stands in horrified awe, taking in the details of the scene. Are the tops of the towers visible from our location? If so, are there signs of movement?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by rredmond »

Knowing this group, and expecting a lot of talk that won't be fun because no one will be able to see him roll his eyes at them, Rudolf edges up to the bridge. "I'm just going to peek around and check out the bridge's sturdiness," he'll whisper, oh-so-quietly, behind him. Rudolf will carefully look around to the south, and then to the north, just to give a quick look to the waters. Then he'll check the full width of the bridge and about 10' feet of it's length for anything trappy, unsturdy, or untoward.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser stares out at the evil shrine in fear but more than a little curious, "how does such a thing get built - and by who? What curiosities will be found a place such as this, I wonder. And the girl of course."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur waits, unheard and unseen, for the rest of the group to finish searching the area. If nothing is found or tries to kill them, he enters the evil shrine with his companions.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos draws Brood and holds it ready.

Gird yourselves, most of us will never leave this place.

he will lead the way across

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#192 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo will wait till the mechanical trap seekers have done their business before acting. He peers down the waterway to the right, hoping to catch a glimpse of.....well......anything really.

Once their immediate path has been cleared, the tall old man makes a suggestion.

"I can cast a spell that should reveal any magical traps, glyphs, or symbols to me before we set them off."

If there are no objections, Bo will cast his Detect Magic spell before the party moves in closer to check out the towers and stone gate.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#193 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I believe that is a good idea, master Druid. If there will be any traps, I would expect them on the approach or just inside the gate. The cleric will approach cautiously after those searching for anything unexpected deem the way to be safe.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Let's see here..." says Telkis.

He will eagerly aid in the examination of the bridge before they cross, and the tower walls as they approach, as a way to distract his mind from continually wandering to the purpose of the steps leading down to the water...
Detect unsafe walls, ceilings, or floors:
70% probability
If they make it to the gates and open them unmolested, he will enter with the group, anxious "get it over with" if they must.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome stays near the front of the group- but well behind the trap-springers -finders. His sword is in hand, ready to strike down the Unclean.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

In what could only be a nightmare, the valiant heroes tremble in the shadow of the megalithic subterranean temple, revealed by ancient forbidden texts as the source of heinous evil that blighted poor Briarsgate, and no doubt this entire region.

The pilgrims to Hell inch forward with slow, meticulous caution as the disembodied spectral whisper of Rudolf continually re-confirms the path is clear.

Long Bo the nature wizard lowers his torch that he may conjure arcane sorcery. He utters a timeless spell and discovers no magicks within the reach of his eldritch incantation. Some naturally phosphorescent lichen must account for the ghostly luminous glow of the heinous shrine.

"Gird yourselves. Most of us will never leave this place," counsels the grim ranger as he leads the way into Perdition.

The hobbit and the grey druid peer south as they cross the threshold over the Styx-like river, and see the underground stream slowly flows into absolute darkness.

Telkis confirms the strange cyclopean walls of the shrine that loom over them are adamant. But the gnome sees the steps into the water are littered with rubble and masonry. Arches must have once existed between the water towers. The large broken stones in the water are coated with green weed, slime, barnacles and sea snails. In the eastern stairway into the underground lake, wooden wreckage is barely visible below the water line.

The heroes reach the stonegate alive. The 20' high portal into the shrine is currently raised two feet from the floor! Through that dark gap emanates cold air and the otherworldly, unrelenting tone.

The entire visible surface of the stonegate is carved with neurotically minute occultic etchings in a language unknown. But the survivors of Briarsgate recognize it as identical to the depraved scrawlings of the mad priest of the forsaken village!

Yet the baneful cuneiforms of the stonegate were clearly carved countless centuries ago.

While they do not radiate sorcery to Bo's eyes, the wizards and priests recognize this mysterious language to be one rooted in sorcery. (So 'Read Magic' can work to decipher it like 'Comprehend Languages.')

Rudolf whispers that he sees no deathtraps lurking in the dark, chill gap under the monolithic gate.

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Grey areas are water.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 16/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by rredmond »

Invisibly turning towards Brevos, Rudolf asks, "can you tell, from the floor or rubble, if anyone has been through this passageway recently?" As he does that, he bend just a bit (he's not that tall ;) ) and take a look into the 2' opening of the gate. Not right next to it, but only a foot or two back from it, so he can see or hear if anything might be moving around in there.

Can Rudolf tell how thick the gate is and how it works? Portcullis-y type of chains pulling it up (pardon my technical language - :lol:)? Also does it looks like it's stuck at 2' above the ground and/or has been that way for long? Rudolf doesn't want to be a pancake if he puts any part of his body under there! :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos searches the ground looking for any sign of passage

[1d100] = 30

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by rredmond »

”If I crawled under there and the gate fell, it would crush the full length of my body except for the curls on my toes and my head,” Rudolf whispers to the others as he relays what he can tell of the gate.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser to examines the door and entrance for traps before passing the fell portal.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”