Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

Inferno
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 23: Genesis of Evil

#201 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome represses a shudder as he studies this horrific castle. He turns to face back down the causeway they just crossed, providing security while the thieves do their work.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#202 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo lets the thieves do their thing as he moves over to the area where the wooden wreckage can be seen under the surface of the lake. He peers around in that area with his enhanced sight, hoping he sees a glimmer of magic somewhere.

If there is nothing to see there, he continues looking all around the closest tower, dock, stairways,and rubble to see if he gets a hit on anything else.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur the unseen gnome waits for the all-clear before following the group inside. He keeps his spells at the ready, in case something horrible jumps out at the group.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"This looks like a job for someone very small, and, uh... fearless. I guess that's me. Someone give me the torch," says Telkis holding out his hand. Once he's got it, he'll get a small running start and roll under to the other side...

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#205 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Before you try slipping under the gate, use the torch to see beyond.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

The heroes cautiously approach the stonegate of the lost shrine of ancient evil. But none dare decipher the occult welcomings etched upon its sickly green surface.

Mouser and Rudolf examine the ageless slab and the dark, two foot gap beneath it. The monolithic gate is three feet thick and beyond it lies only cold and darkness. Mouser too finds no danger lurking in wait. Rudolf's disembodied voice informs the others of his discoveries.

Meanwhile, Long Bo's mystic vision is turned in every direction but finds no sorceries within its arcane reach. Brevos discerns faint footprints in the rubble, leading from the cave, along the wharf and into the stonegate. They are little more than shadows now, having been disturbed by the heroes' advance. But the grim ranger believes there were one or two adults, women perhaps, and a small child.

Telkis borrows the grey druid's torch and, as Ingrid urges him to wait, he, Mouser and Urdur roll under the stonegate!

All is silent for a tense heartbeat and then suddenly, daemonic voices from beyond the stone gate shriek!

"You are a gift to The Nothing! The Nothing!"

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Grey areas are water.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 16/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome, hearing this, dashes for the gate. He spits an obscenity he certainly didn't learn at the monastery as he kneels, ready to slide under and assist his new friends.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by rredmond »

"Wait!" Cautions Rudolf's disembodied voice. "Ingrid has the right of it, look for what Telkis' torch can tell us, and get some rope in case they've fallen into a trap," he pauses, I'm not sure they will be able to see my rope." Rudolf checks that he's out of the way of anyone else Dukes of Hazzarding past the gates, and peeks again into the room, hoping the light sheds, well, some light on what's in there.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome nods and pulls out his coil of rope. He ties a dagger to the end and flips it under the gate/slab.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos runs over and peers under the gate

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#211 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo hikes up his robes and squats to peer under the gate, preparing to follow after the others.

”I wouldn’t have read it either after what happened to Jerome,” he mumbles to himself.

Scott308

#212 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

When will we learn not to rush off ahead of the rest of us? Well, we better join them before trouble finds them.

Ingrid will peer under the gate. If it seems safe, she will join the others on the opposite side.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Inferno »

The Lost Shrine of Ancient Evil, the Dark Mountain, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Twenty. Long after midnight. Thursday, December 1st, 576 CY
Freezing cold, clear.

Magnificent occult engravings adorn the stonegate of the temple of abominations.

As Jerome ties his rope around the hilt of his dagger, the heroes peer into the two foot gap beneath the monolithic portal. Torchlight illuminates the floor beyond the threshold. It seems to be... glistening!... moving!... writhing!

Suddenly, the Grey Mouser emerges in haste from beneath the rune-carved slab! If Urdur is with him, none can say. But the thief's face is haggard and pale, and his rapid breathing frosts the air with ghostly clouds.

Suddenly, the demon voices within the heinous shrine shriek again!

"Look Upon The Seven Faces of Immensity! Look Upon The Breaker of All Things! Look Upon the Bound and Conquered God!”

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 5 feet. Grey areas are water.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 16/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16
PC Magic: Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by rredmond »

"Chatty this evil shrine of yours," Rudolf says, directing his sarcasm to the gate, then he asks to the air "Urdur you make it out okay?". He quickly peeks under the gate again, as he figures the others will question Mouser. He also takes a look at the gate for anything out of the ordinary. Traps, hidden bits, etc, figure Rudolf can check about a foot of the gate, considering it's and his height, on each side, where it touches the wall. Do/did we see Telkis at all?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Urson »

Jerome
Jerome watches the floor moving with a sick fascination. He leaves the rope on the far side of the gate, in case Urdur is still over there and needs a helping hand getting back. He listens to the talk about what was seen and heard.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser emerges, lumbering as if under some unseen weight, and tries to shake his head free of unholy visions.

"Big room beyond - and something else - something alive and writhing on the floor! At least, I think it was alive..."
Last edited by ravenn4544 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#217 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo notices at the freezing breath escaping Mousers mouth, looking around to see if there is another cloud that might belong to Urdur.

"We arent saving any little girls from out here. The path we need to follow has been laid out before us."

He looks at their thief and asks, "was there any reaction from this floor writher? Where is that damn booming voice coming from?"
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by ravenn4544 »

OOC: sorry, i had a typo above and i edited it. it should be 'writhing'. There was no actual Author present :)

Mouser, shudders and seems to shoulder the load, "everywhere - the voice was every where"

Scott308

#219 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric hurries over to Mouser, putting her hands on his shoulders in an attempt to comfort him. Are you hurt? Urdur, are you with us? Are you injured?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by wolfpack »

Urdur are you here? Telkis?

Anyone have a spell to silence that voice.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”