Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 22: The Horror at Vicar's Head

#61 Post by wolfpack »

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#62 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Calmly returning the witches stare with an icy glare of her own, she strides forth with her holy symbol. Commanding the teeming dead, she shouts, Leave us be. You have no power over us, for Holy Tritherion protects us!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by ChubbyPixie »

A shudder runs through Telkis as his blood seems to freeze in his veins...

With a start he realizes he's been staring, immobile for several moments. A first-person vision of having his throat ripped out causes him to snap out of it and move. "I say we run! I don't think we can win this one. I'll be right behind you," he yells as he fires off two arrows at the unholy nun.

Short Bow (THAC0 15): To Hit: [1d20] = 1, Damage s/m/L: [1d6] = 6 He's rattled. :?
Short Bow (THAC0 15): To Hit: [1d20] = 8, Damage s/m/L: [1d6] = 1
Last edited by ChubbyPixie on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Cuthbert protect us! Jerome manages before the spell catches him.

save vs spells: 14 Stat check [1d20] = 7
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur cannot resist the piercing gaze of the unholy nun. He hopes that his invisibility protects him....

Save vs Spell (12) [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo wants to run, or cast a spell, but the lanky druid isn't able to act of his own accord.

Save vs. Spells (14) [1d20] = 7

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Night. Friday, November 18th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

In forsaken Vicar's Head, the dead do rise.

A disinterred nightmare from darkest imagining, a deathless nun hanged for witchcraft, turns her terrible gaze upon the heroes!

Screams build in their throats, set to burst like a flooded dam!

Brevos, Jerome, Long Bo, Mouser and Urdur succumb to a nameless terror that threatens to shatter their very sanity! (Age 10 years, each of you!)

They retreat, fleeing into the terrible starless murk of the village of the damned! (must flee for 30 rounds) Rudolf too plunges north, into the smothering embrace of fog and darkness!

Only two heroes remain! Alone, they stand their ground. Telkis launches two arrows at the thing that was no longer a nun, but his fear betrays his aim.

Unflinching in the face of this eldritch horror, Ingrid holds forth her holy symbol and drives back several of the grisly charnel men! (Z1-7) But that is all.

Then the valiant pair are overtaken by the frightful undead horde!

Ingrid is lacerated by one grasping dead hand (-5hp) and overwhelmed by deja vu; dread memories of her own death, not fifty feet from here, at the ghastly hands of these same horrific cadavers!

In moments they would be surrounded. Engulfed.

Then the condemned nun (W1) looks Ingrid in the eye and Ingrid can feel cold bony fingers seize hold of her immortal soul!

(Ingrid, please see PM)

Actions, Ingrid, Rudolf and Telkis?!

Map:

Each PC marker is approximately 5 feet square.

Map detail:

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16, Invisible
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser's whole body arches in agony as his body succumbs to the rapid ageing - his hair sprouts from his head down to his knees, his clean shaven face is suddenly a mass of twisted knots, his fingernails explode from his fingers and he is barely able to hang on to his weapons.

His already tainted soul is eviscerated by the unholy spell of the undead horror. He flees in terror with an uncontrollable wail, "AHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos half elf blood prevents much of a change showing on his features as he suddenly ages. Turning he runs as fast as he can towards the forest where he feels most at home.
Last edited by wolfpack on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by rredmond »

As the ranger speeds past him, Rudolph takes refuge in the alleyway that Brevos just past (where the BR is now) so that he can peek around the corner at the main square and what is happening. Everyone else is running, though not quietly, he thinks, so what in the hells do Ingrid and Telkis think they are doing. He wants to keep an eye on what happens to the two, but wants to ensure he is in no danger. He keeps low, and to the shadows (even though he's invisible) and keeps his eyes and ears on alert so that no one can easily sneak up on him. He whispers to himself, sometimes you have to give a bad job up as lost. They're going to be massacred. Rudolph feels the sadness and dread of what is going on, but he knows that if any danger presents itself, he is getting out of Dodge, as quick as possible.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Urson »

Jerome

Jerome weeps as he runs. He knows his new companions need his help, but he can't even think about the corrupted nun without putting on another burst of speed.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo can feel his already long hair and beard growing even more as he runs away from the herd of undead monsters.

He keeps running anyway, trying to hear where the others are, but losing more hope with every step his old bones take.

Hey! For once a blown save might actually help some of us. :lol:

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"We can't survive this, Ingrid. RUN!" shouts Telkis. Hoping she follows suit, but powerless to save her if she does not, he bolts through the gap to his east, then turns north, following the cries of the others as they flee in panic, moving as fast as his short legs will carry him.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur can think of nothing but running as far as possible for as long as possible.

Scott308

#75 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The valiant cleric sees some of the undead turn away from the holy might of Tritherion, but there are too many for her to defeat. And the witch...the witch. Enraptured by the piercing stare of the damned nun, Ingrid can feel cold, bony claws grasping her immortal soul.
ChubbyPixie wrote:"We can't survive this, Ingrid. RUN!" shouts Telkis.
She hears the gnome warrior urge her to action...but the grip on her soul prevents her from moving. She feels the claws and teeth of the ravenous dead tear into her flesh. Agonizing pain sets every fiber of her being on fire. Though it is only a few seconds, it seems to stretch on forever. The end has finally arrived for Tritherion's faithful servant. Through all the trials and tribulations it has come to this. Judged unworthy by her god in her moment of desperate need, Ingrid takes comfort in the hope that she may soon see dear departed friends like Grothnak, Pip, Pelias, and more recently, Hothhil. Oh, god! The pain! The- are her final thoughts before she finally succumbs, everything fading to black as she slips into the embrace of sweet Oblivion. Ingrid is no more.

Suddenly, a bright light, blinding after the eternal darkness. As her eyes adjust, she is able to see a figure in front of her who seems to be the source of the light. She has never in her life beheld something so breathtaking. Weeping in awe, she can do nothing but bask in the being's presence. Ahh, priestess Esthoff, the being says, the words somehow in her head but at the same time also audible. Welcome, my child, it continues. The voice is more harmonious than Ingrid could have ever imagined possible. Surely this must be...no, it can't- can it? Yes, my dear. It is I.

Falling to her knees, Ingrid begins sobbing with pure joy, her heart hammering in her chest. Tritherion, O Holy One, I never thought I would ever have the fortune to be in your presence! All the pain, the suffering, everything that has ever occurred in my life has been worth it for this moment right here, right now. How may I serve thee, O Benevolent One?

Smiling, Tritherion responds quietly. My child, perhaps one day you will be called home to spend eternity here with others who have served me faithfully and with distinction. But that time has not yet come. Your friends, and in fact your world, need you more than I right now. They are in terrible danger, and you must do everything you can to aid them and stop the darkness that threatens to take over. I may not interfere directly; I may only act through others. You are one of my chosen champions on Oerth. Yes, there are others, though I cannot reveal who they are. Just know that you are not alone, though you may never meet my other champions. I will help you as I can, but even I am limited in what I may do. And now, faithful one, it is time to return, before it is too late to aid your companions.

The valiant cleric sees some of the undead turn away from the holy might of Tritherion, but there are too many for her to defeat. And the witch...the witch. Enraptured by the piercing stare of the damned nun, Ingrid can feel cold, bony claws grasping her immortal soul.
ChubbyPixie wrote:"We can't survive this, Ingrid. RUN!" shouts Telkis.
She hears the gnome warrior urge her to action...but the grip on her soul prevents her from moving. NOOOOO! Not again! the young cleric thinks, believing herself about to meet a grisly fate at the tooth and nail of many a walking dead once more. Suddenly, a flash of light and the voice in her head whispering, Gooo. And with that, the witch's hold on her is broken. With no hesitation, the cleric turns and follows Telkis, running as if her life depends on it...because it does.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Night. Friday, November 18th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

The sight of the nun witch ages the young heroes with fright! They flee for their lives, stricken with abject terror!

Only Ingrid and Telkis dare stand their ground against the hanged witch and the ghastly tide of living death!

Unseen, Rudolf watches from cover as Ingrid is overwhelmed by visions dark and divine. Then they too break and fly from the forsaken hamlet!

Behind them, gap-toothed skulls grin luridly as the legion of undeath stalk them without relent.

Somewhere too, they know not where, lurks the deathless witch nun of Vicar's Head!

With those dire thoughts plaguing their beleaguered minds, they plunge through dark, winding streets of the damned town in a nightmare chase of horror and dread.

The heroes outpace their grisly lurching pursuers and burst from the northern edge of town, ascending into the foundations of the dark mountains, following the path to the village graveyard!

Only then do they stop and catch their breath. Their fear abates. Their senses return.

By the feeble light of the moon, from their cemetery vantage, they can see 60 feet behind them. The unspeakable, dead creatures that hunt them tirelessly are nowhere to be seen. Yet.

The heroes have what they risked their lives for, and know this trail continues on to the mountain pass that leads them north and east to their dark fate.

Actions?!

Area Map:

The red X marks the supposed location of an ancient shrine; the source of the evil that plagued Briarsgate.

Vicar's Head Map:

The PCs are at the white X.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Jerome, Human Paladin 3: Move: 9", AC: 3(1), HP: 20/20, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl, Torch
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16, Invisible
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by wolfpack »

Catching his breath and grabbing the hilt of Brood Brevos looks around to be sure everyone is present then calls out to the invisible members.

Once he is assured all are present he looks at jerome

as we said you don't want to enter the village.

We have no time to tarry let us begin our journey we must reach our destination before the next full moon.

Scott308

#78 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I agree. We should put more distance between the village and us before resting. I don't know how well the dead can follow, or how far they will go to catch us, but I would prefer to not find out. After taking a moment to get a drink and get her heart rate back down a bit, the cleric is ready to continue.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser's voice cracks and he stumbles finally in weakness - it's as if he hasn't eaten or drank water in years... He tries to pull himself together after the fierce fury of age came crashing upon him. Knowing they are still in grave danger he spends little time securing his ungainly hair before proceeding on - vainly keeping pace with the group.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by SocraticLawyer »

The invisible gnome agrees. Yes, let's get out of here.
I want to be long gone before whatever that was catches up to us.....

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”