Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

Inferno
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

#261 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos pulls him self to his knees leaning heavily on Brood and coughs and spits blood on the ground. He makes his way unsteadily to his feet and moves back directly in front of the druid he holds his magic shield tight to his body with his left arm and Brood down and at an angle to the right, its hum and soft blue light illuminating him in the darkness.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Inferno »

The Strange Black Altar of the Haunted Wood, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Five. The other side of midnight. Wednesday, November 16th, 576 CY
Cold, windy, storming

The wind moans louder and thunder booms across the endless midnight sky!

The heroes create of circle of protection around the druid with their bodies, as Long Bo keeps summoning the inconceivable power of the storm!

Suddenly....

KRA-KA-BOOM!!!

A jagged, bristling bolt of white-hot electricity explodes from the heavens and strikes the center of the black altar!

The deafening thunderclap echoes along the spine of the dark mountains.

When the smoke clears, the heroes behold the altar, sundered! Its diabolical power is broken! If anything yet lives beneath it, it dares not emerge from the smoldering rubble of the shattered pedestal!

Purified by fire from the gods, the incinerated corpses of the witches and their vile horrors are reduced to charred skeletons splayed within the radius of a smoking black ring that encircles the former site of unspeakable evil!

Actions?!

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
This post covered 4 rounds.
Lightning strike damage: [6d8] = 29 Dang!
The ghoul Z2 saves vs Spells: [1d20] = 18 Saves and takes half damage.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 6/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 13/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 7/22, Spells: 1/5 1st lvl and 0/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 20/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 10/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 8/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 5/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Call Lightning (Bo): Duration: 39 rounds. Next bolt can be summoned in: 9 rounds.
    Turned Undead (Ingrid): V1: 3 rounds remaining.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by wolfpack »

I am going to scout the perimeter to see if I can find trace of hothill

Brood in hand Brevos will begin looking in the last area he saw him.

[1d100] = 63

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur stays by the druid, torch in hand, dagger drawn. Somehow he knows there will be more bloodshed before the night is through.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#266 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo continues his chanting, in case another menace shows itself 9 minutes from now.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser also searches the perimeter - staying away from where the lighting struck.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph sticks close to the druid, assuming (with the continued chanting) that whatever is going to happen being close to the druid is the safest bet. If anything survived that, and I'd bet it did, then we are screwed... I mean, we'd better be ready, he says in an Irish whisper. But he'll try to make himself small, and hide in the vegetation around him. He keeps his sword and dagger out, ready to attack from the shadows if need be.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#269 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Trying to blink away the after-image of the lightning, Ingrid is impressed. Very nice! She stays near Bo, waiting to see if anything else arrives.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Inferno »

Cold, windy, storming

Writhing arcs of electricity retreat into the roiling heavens, slowly building into another thunderbolt as Long Bo continues his arcane orisons to Nature itself.

Ingrid and Rudolph remain close to the grey druid. The hobbit rogue tries to makes himself small and unseen.

Telkis cautiously approaches the smoking ruin of the black altar. When he crosses the threshold of the unhallowed ground, his neck doesn't tingle with dread, nor does he feel the whisper of a deep hum. He peers into the reeking lair beneath the altar. In the pit, he finds the electrocuted remains of the last of the lurid despicable fiends that feasted upon the blood of the sacrificed innocents. (Z2)

Urdur the dark gnome also remains by the druid's side, torch in hand, dagger drawn, expecting more bloodshed and death before the night is through. He doesn't wait long.

Brevos and Mouser scout the area in opposite directions, walking the perimeter of the black scorched earth. By the cold light of his sword, Brevos finds fresh blood and drag-marks on the ground. He follows them deeper into the darkness where he makes a dreadful discovery!

Brevos finds the horrific remains of Hothhil, cut apart and positioned upon the ground as if for some ghastly occult ritual!

Actions?! ...for the next 4 rounds please.

Map:

One square = 10 feet.

This post encompasses 5 rounds of activity.

PC Status:
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 13/19, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, 0/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 7/22, Spells: 1/5 1st lvl and 0/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 20/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/2 3rd lvl
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 5/9, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl and 0/1 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Call Lightning (Bo): Duration: 34 rounds. Next bolt can be summoned in: 4 rounds.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will move the body parts out of whatever ritual position they are in just in case it is being used for some dark magic still and place them in a pile.

he will then return to the group.

I found the remains of Hothill, he was cut into pieces and positioned in some kind of ritual pose.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#272 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As long as nothing stops him, and everyone is clear of the danger area, Bo continues chanting, ready to drop one more bolt to further cleanse this area of its accumulated evil.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph continually scans north, east and south, looking to the skies as well. He's expecting nothing from the west, but even so they'll have more time then. He keeps his blades out and ready, and stays close to the druid. He will attempt to hide in the shadows now, as he scans, knowing he's much more effective from the back of a creature than the front.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#274 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric will continue to stay by the druid as protection should anything try to get near. Do not range too far. We know not what other horrors these woods may possess. One lone victim may easily fall prey to something that might not approach a group.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur nods at the wise cleric's words. He waits by the druid, daring to hope that the night's bloodshed is over.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis shakes his head at the mention of Hothil’s fate, thinking to himself that this may be a mercy considering what they have all become. Still, one must press on.

“I will check out the inside of this tomb. I may need help getting out. Bo... never mind,” he says and, if he can do so without injuring himself, he’ll jump down in. If not he’ll lash a rope around some rubble and rappel down to check carefully for any items or secret passages. He considers the possibility that more lightning make come, but can’t dredge up any feelings about it one way or another.
If needed (for the smell): Save vs. CON (12): [1d20] = 16

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Inferno »

Cold, windy, storming

Beneath the towering trees and the wild lightning storm, Brevos makes a startling discovery in the darkness of the haunted wood: the bloodsoaked, violated corpse of Hothhil!

The grim ranger repositions the ghastly crimson remains of his friend to disturb any ritual they may yet serve, and returns to the others with the heartbreaking news.

Telkis borrows Urdur's torch and descends beneath the sundered altar into the lair of the depraved, bloodthirsty undead. He enters a small, low subterranean chamber filled with the stench of death, and completely lined with tree roots that have been force-fed the blood of slaughtered innocents.

A frightful mound of human bones and skulls is the only thing he finds in the gruesome den.

Mercifully, none are the size of a child. After probing them with Cranach, Telkis is content there are no horrors here left to discover. He retreats from the pit of sorrow and gets clear.

Suddenly, lightning strikes twice!

KRA-KA-BOOMM!!!

At the command of the grey druid, a second deafening blast of fire and light detonates from the heavens, consuming the heinous unnatural altar in the righteous power and wrath of Nature itself! Shattered and smoking, it is utterly destroyed.

Telkis remains convinced this altar cannot be the ancient shrine they are looking for; it is not nearly old enough.
Ingrid concurs. Its scale is too modest. It is not the source of the evil that blights these mountains, but merely another dread symptom of it.

Slowly, the wounded, tortured Ents creep back toward the scorched earth.
"Thank thee youngling for saving us... Thou hast earned the everlasting gratitude of the Trees..." one says in a slow deep rumble.

Actions?

Area Map:

Green "?" might be the heroes' current location. Red "X" is thought to be the location of the Lost Shrine of Evil.

PC Status:
PC Magic:
  • Call Lightning (Bo): Duration: 29 rounds. Next bolt can be summoned in: 9 rounds.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos addresses the trees

Wise ones, we came into this wilderness looking for an ancient source of evil. Do you know of any other evil sources besides this shrine we have destroyed.
Last edited by wolfpack on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well, that's one less evil in the world. Now we just need to zap ourselves into oblivion," says Telkis, only half joking. He is quietly fascinated by the trees, now that they are returned to their true selves and awaits their answer to Brevos' questioning.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by rredmond »

Unafraid of the dead... as long as they ain't moving, Rudolph smiles at the trees, and goes over to give the area where the altar once stood a good once over. Check and see if there's anything left, or any other secret doors or hidden chambers, etc. He knows that the tall ones will talk until they are blue in the face before suggesting splitting the party again, so he takes his time. As he leaves he says to the druid, "that was incredible, really awe inspiring... youngling," after a quick smile to the tall Bo, he adds "thank you."

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”