Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 21: Pact With The Devil

#301 Post by Inferno »

The Former Site of the Strange Black Altar of the Haunted Wood, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Five. After midnight. Wednesday, November 16th, 576 CY
Cold, windy, storming

"...Sleep well tonight... little ones... beneath the protection of the trees..."

After driving a silver arrow into Hothhil's heart, Brevos wipes the elf's ring clean of blood and offers it to Long Bo who gratefully accepts it, as Urdur casts an illusion rendering himself unseen to mortal eyes.

Then the weary heroes succumb to exhaustion and plummet into sleep on the dark mountain. (Save vs Spells please. Failure means...) The dread nightmare returns.

At dawn, they awaken; still alive, still guarded by the venerable grove of grateful tree creatures. After saying heartfelt farewells, the heroes set out, carrying with them the eternal gratitude of the Ents.

Brevos the ranger leads them on their two day journey across the forlorn mountainside of the haunted forest.

Their long trek is uneventful, the bleak landscape eerily still. And when they camp for the night, the reoccurring nightmare returns again. (Please Save vs Spells again)

After two days of walking, as the darkness of night begins to descend, the weary heroes reach the edge of Vicar's Head. From their vantage point near the path to the Hookhill Road, they see no candle burns within the village of the damned.

Two choices lay before them now:

They can circle around the doomed village and access the mountain pass without entering Vicar's Head. The pass cuts northeast across the mountain chain. They know where the lost shrine of evil lies, and that the vile witches brought an innocent child there recently.

Or they can face the deathless horrors of the village before journeying through the forbidding mountain pass. Telkis remembers a scroll left in a muddy lane behind a forsaken church, and Ingrid knows of a secret occult library in the low stone tower of the accursed hamlet.

Actions? (Also: bookkeeping time. Two days and nights have passed. To sum up:
Please Save vs Spells twice. Failure means your PC experiences the reoccurring nightmare.
Roll twice for an additional hit point of healing per night, as per the house rules.
Mark off two days rations each.
Spells are replenished twice. Feel free to cover any castings from yesterday.
And please figure out what your next step is. :) Thanks!)

Area Map:

The PCs are at Vicar's Head. The mountain pass extends northeast from the doomed village.
The red "X" is thought to be the location of the Lost Shrine of Evil, the ancient source of the unspeakable evil that plagued Briarsgate.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 8/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 15/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 9/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 22/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 12/16
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 12/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 9/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl, Torch
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by wolfpack »

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by rredmond »

Save v Spells (11): [1d20] = 4 [1d20] = 1
I see Rudolph has to change his shorts the second night... :shock:

Chance to heal second HP is 40%: [1d100] = 71 [1d100] = 88
FML as the kid's say... or maybe FMPC'sL :D
Can't say that it's comforting that the die roller still hates me, because it ain't!
Updated my sheet with two HPs being regained.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#304 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Save vs spell (12) [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8

Save vs spell (12) [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16

Extra hp recovery? (20) [1d100] = 55

Extra hp recovery? (20) [1d100] = 19

Assuming he recovers both L2 spells after the first night, Urdur addresses the group invisibly. Anybody else want to become unseen? I can make two others invisible...
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by rredmond »

Assuming the bad dreams don't do anything wacky Rudolph would take him up on the invisibility. Scouting and striking from behind are my specialties. And out here in the woods with a ranger and a druid... let's just say being invisible will make me able to attack better. Rudolph would wait until the second night for the spell if need be, it'll be mainly needed if we are scouting out the town, or a way around it, he'll agree, loudly, with anyone who advocates not splitting up.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#306 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Save vs. Spells (14): [1d20] = 17
Save vs. Spells (14): [1d20] = 4

Ingrid will use her last two healing spells before turning in for the night.
On Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 3
On Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2
This brings him to 13/31.
The next day she will begin casting her healing magic again. She has a total of 13 potential CLWs for the day.
1. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2 15/31
2. Telkis: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1 13/34
3. Telkis: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 7 20/34 Finally a decent roll!
4. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 4 19/31
5. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1 20/31
6. Telkis: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 6 26/34
7. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1 21/31
8. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 6 27/31
9. Long Bo: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1 23/30
10: Long Bo: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 7 30/30
11. Rudolph: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 1 13/16
12. Grey Mouser: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 4 19/19
13. Telkis: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2 28/34

When waking today, the cleric casts a few more healing spells.
1. Telkis: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 8 34/34
2. Brevos: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2 29/31
3. Rudolph: Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2 15/16
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308

#307 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The last time we were there, we did not have our gear or weapons, and we split up into several groups. This time, we will be prepared. We will stay together, and focus on our two locations and then get out. We know what dangers we can expect this time. I feel it is worth it, but I will defer to others on this matter.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#308 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo experiences the nightmares initially again, likely for his part in destroying the evil altar area.

Save vs. Spells (14) [1d20] = 1

Save vs. Spells (14) [1d20] = 15

The druid will supplement the healing prayers of Ingrid as they travel, hoping to bring everyone up to full health again before we get back to the place we all know we should avoid. In fact, if he can use his in place of hers, it might allow her to use her magic to keep the groups food and water rations in tact.(if you want rolls for this, please advise)

Can we hunt or snare in our down time while resting? Bo would use his magic to aid in this process.

Also, Bo will continue to use his magic to attempt to locate his bird, or any more plant life for his spells.

"Ingrid makes a good point. We were ill prepared the last time we arrived there. This time we will be ready. AND WE WONT BE SPLITTING UP AGAIN, RIGHT GANG?" The druids deep booming voice reminds the party of the talking trees they met earlier.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by wolfpack »

Together or not we can't face 200 undead.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser tsks as he agrees "200? 300 at least! what's our plan to go in after that? And what exactly are we going after - something we know we need or something we think we need? why don't we go around and head straight for where we heard this evil temple is?"
Save vs spells (12) [1d20] = 9
Save vs spells (12) [1d20] = 2

Scott308

#311 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

I admit, I don't know what is in the secret room. But it was a hidden room full of occult writings, and something inside a locked drawer. We didn't have a chance to get it. But if it was locked away in a secret room, somebody must have felt it was important.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#312 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo helps Ingrid with the healing on whoever appears to need it the most.

Brevos CLW [1d8] = 1

Urdur CLW [1d8] = 3

Ingrid CLW [1d8] = 5

Ingrid CLW [1d8] = 8

Rudolph CLW [1d8] = 1

I think that's everyone, but if not... CLW [1d8] = 6

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Seven. Dusk. Friday, November 18th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

Haunted by disturbing nightmares, two days have otherwise passed as quiet as the grave. There has been no sign of the frightful wolf pack, not even a distant howl. The heroes' long journey has brought them back here.

They have returned to the village of the damned. But as ever, they are divided on how best to proceed.

Suddenly, they spy movement at the town's main gate. A lone figure considers the forsaken hamlet.

An armored knight. From a distance, it appears to some to be the ghost of poor Pelias Blanchflower, may he rest in peace.

Then they see the crest emblazoned upon his shield is that of Saint Cuthbert of the Cudgel, the righteous god of wisdom, dedication and zeal. He stands alone in this terrible place.

Actions?

Area Map:

The PCs are at Vicar's Head. The mountain pass extends northeast from the doomed village.
The red "X" is thought to be the location of the Lost Shrine of Evil, the ancient source of the unspeakable evil that plagued Briarsgate.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 3/4: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 19/19, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl, 1/1 2nd lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 4: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 16/16, Invisible
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 4: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 34/34
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 4: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 11/11, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl and 2/2 2nd lvl, Invisible
PC Magic: Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#314 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo

The tired old druid tries a few nature calls to attempt to get the attention of the knight at the gate. If he does, he motions for him to join the party so they can warn him of what lies beyond the barrier.

”Ca Caw! Ca Caw!”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser eyes the lone figure then Long Bo, "Ca-Ca-Crazy you mean..."and just shakes his head..

Scott308

#316 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric peers intently at the surroundings, trying to spot any of the undead horde in order to warn the stranger if necessary.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Urson »

Jerome of the Mighty Oak

The armored knight doesn't react at first- perhaps he doesn't hear? Then, when he does turn and sees Long Bo's gestures, he nods and walks your way. He approaches cautiously, and stops about 10' away.
Hail and well met! I am called Jerome. Do you know anything about this village? The High Priest said it had grown silent recently.

He keeps one hand casually on the hilt of his sword. His visor is open, and you can see he is a young, fresh-faced knight.
Young Jerome.jpg
Young Jerome.jpg (131.22 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308

#318 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

My name is Ingrid, cleric of Holy Tritherion. Perhaps we should have this conversation somewhere else. This village is not safe. It is best not to stay here too long and attract unwanted attention.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Regarding the newcomer, Telkis sighs. "Jerome, I'm not sure if it's lucky or unlucky we've found you, but here we are. You'd better stick with us for now. It's not safe... uh... in the town." He then turns to the others. "I can take us straight back to where I dropped the scroll. It's on the north side of town. Based on where we found it, I feel it might be worth recovering." He relates the story of the crazed clergyman and the vestry where they found the scroll. "I say we go there, grab it, and get out. I leave it to you whether this secret room is worth it. At any rate, let's hurry."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Urson »

Jerome

How so is it not safe? We are a formidable-looking group, and with the Gods of Light on our side, how can we fail? He reaches up to touch the tam o'shanter worn on top of his helm. He joins the group, offering handshakes to everyone.

I am Jerome- called by some as Jerome of the Mighty Oak- a sworn holy warrior of Saint Cuthbert. Blessings of The Good to you all.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”