Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 20: Hungry Are The Dead

#101 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Four. Midday. Tuesday, November 15th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

In the desecrated church, Urdur and Telkis are assaulted by the bloodcurdling howls of the ravening wolf-thing trying to eat them alive! The door creaks beneath the onslaught of its unnatural form!

Telkis hurls a chair through a stained glass window! SKRAASHH!!! The beautiful depiction of Pelor's Last Judgment of Oerth shatters into jewel-like shards as the two gnomes scramble through it, tumbling down onto the ground outside, near a lane and other buildings! The tapestry falls back into place and beyond it they hear the wooden door rent asunder as the bestial howling suddenly grows louder!

Meanwhile, in the haunted woods beyond the borders of Vicar's Head...

...Having no stomach for this fight, Bo, Brevos and Mouser flee through the accursed forest, stalked by tireless, dead men from beyond the grave!

Branches scratch and tear at their faces and hands as the heroes range further east and then turn southward again; their grisly hunters roaring and shrieking in relentless pursuit. With dread, they see more shapes appear from out of the fog ahead, attracted by the dead men's harrowing call!

Meanwhile, in the dungeons of Vicar's Head, Rudolf backs up and hurls two daggers at a ghastly charnel house atrocity! (Z1) Both clang off the cell bars and skitter away. The living carcass reaches through the bars to strangle Rudolf to death but the hobbit is still an arm's length away!

To his left, among the growling, snarling undead host, Rudolf hears voices! Was that Ingrid Esthof?!

Beyond Rudolf's sight, Hothhil keeps withdrawing up the dungeon stairs and hacks three fingers off a loathsome cadaver reaching for his throat! The elvish warrior gets his shield up in the nick of time, beating back more grasping dead hands!

Pyotr joins the fray at Hothhil's side but his short blade misses, hacking stone chips from the dungeon wall! The half-orc mariner narrowly evades a savage blow that would have hammered him back into unconsciousness!

Ingrid counsels retreat and looks back in time to see Mondegreen beaten to the ground (2hp damage) by a heinous decaying terror descending the spiral stairs! (Z12) More carrion men lurch behind it! (at '?')

The heroes are surrounded!

Actions?!

Maps:

1= Hothhil Ingrid, Mondegreen, Pyotr, Rudolf in the dungeons. 2 = Bo, Brevos and Mouser in the woods. 3 = Telkis and Urdur near the desecrated church. ? = A pack of deathless pursuers.

Non-required reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 13/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 8/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 8/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 12", AC: 9(7), HP: 17/22, Spells: 4/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 19/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 1/8, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 8, HP: 5/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 1/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 12/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by wolfpack »

You two could climb trees while I lead them away deeper into the forest

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Urson »

Pyotr

Up! Go up! Pyotr shouts, swinging at the nearest of the walking corpses.

[1d20] = 13
[1d6] = 2+1
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#104 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo looks his northern friend in the eyes.

"If you really think that plan will work, I am willing to give it a try. I know that you are the best suited to survive out in this wild alone, even more so than myself, but I also don't want to lose another party member."

He searches for a suitable tree to climb and does so, but only if Mouser agrees to the idea.

"Where will you lead the herd? Are you still planning on rejoining us later if you can?"

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser shakes his head "No way am I climbing a tree... that's a death trap!"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Picking himself up off the ground, Telkis gives Urdur a "what now?" look, then, glancing left and right, he grows suddenly decisive. "Fløøt!*" he whispers urgently, then scrambles to duck down an alley or narrow street to round at least two corners in an 's' curve as quickly as possible, heading in the general direction of the town hall and its cells.
*"Come! Come! It is vitally important that you do not tarry!"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by SocraticLawyer »

"Breðafönn! says Urdur in agreement. He follows Telkis as they try to lose the wolf.
"Indeed, our survival depends upon our rapid flight from the vicinity of the dangerous wolf-man! Let us make haste!"
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#108 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Seeing one of her companions go down, the cleric quickly beseeches Tritherion to rejuvenate Mondegreen.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#109 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If Mouser and Brevos want to try leading the undead away from the town, Bo will not stop them.

Trying to remain unseen, he looks for a suitable tree to climb up out of the reach of the oncoming monsters.

"Good luck to you both out there! Come back to us if you can!" he whispers as they leave.

Because, why not split the party into 4 groups now instead? :lol:

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just noticed I hadn't posted an action!

Seeing their exit is blocked, Hothhil tries to press forward, swing the sword as hard as he can. The zombies seem nonplussed as it whooshes through the fetid air.

Sword: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5; sm [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6/lg [1d10+1] = 1+1 = 2

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by rredmond »

Knowing that but a scratch from this creature would kill him, but hearing his comrades hopefully alive, Rudolph picks up the short sword, his last remaining weapon and tries to remember an appropriate ditty from a hobbit bard he once knew. Rawnyjaym S'deeoh was a weird sort, he wore boots with some sort of lifts in them that made him seem almost as tall as a dwarf! But Rudolph always enjoyed his music.

Waving his sword in front of him, but not getting close enough to get hit, the little hobbit wants to continue to create distraction to help his friends, while allowing them to know he's alive, so he tries to remember words to one of S'deeoh's tunes and sing it out loud:
We're off to the witch
We may never never never come home
But the magic that we'll feel is worth a lifetime

We don't come alone
We are fire we are stone
We're the hand that writes and quickly moves away...

But then for the life of him he can't remember what comes next. But the words seem so appropriate, at first sad, but then defiant. Who knows, maybe S'deeoh was half-hobbit and half-orc, Yondalla knows he wasn't the most attractive hobbit around, but he really could wail!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by wolfpack »

Assuming the town is south of our position

I will lead them north and try to find a a cliff to lead them off or get stuck against. I will double back if I can, if i don't ake it before dark. Well I will try to track you down from where ever I end up.

Mouser I suggest you stay, but if you will not then you must keep up.

When Bo is up a tree Brevos will start heading north banging his sword against his shield to get the zombies attention

Heyyyy Yaaa

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Four. Midday. Tuesday, November 15th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

In the fog-shrouded streets of Vicar's Head, Telkis and Urdur flee the violated church for their lives, twisting and turning through lanes and alleys in a desperate attempt to throw the frightful thing off their scent, while not becoming lost themselves!

A bloodcurdling howl cuts through the fog! They know with dread certainty that they are being hunted by the unspeakable thing that the clean-shaven man has become! ..that which they themselves have become!

They know it can smell their sweat, taste their hot blood on the air.

Suddenly, out of the fog behind them lopes the terrifying horror!

Half man, half wolf, a merciless inhuman predator of fang and claw!

It eyes them with naked hunger and lets out a short guttural bark, tensing its powerful muscles, ready to pounce, ready to feast!

Actions?!

Map:

In the dungeon beneath the tower, Rudolf sings a tragic song to keep one of the wretched undead focused on him. It works too well. With the sickening groan of iron, the decaying hideous atrocity bends one of the prison bars with its unnatural strength, but not enough to pass through them! Yet.

Out of Rudolf's sight, the other heroes are surrounded by a legion of living dead!

Ingrid desperately prays that Trithereon takes mercy upon Mondegreen, miraculously healing his grievous wounds! (+5hp) Thus fortified, the dark warlock casts a magic spell that summons unseen rays of eldritch power upon one of the heinous cadavers that assails him! At their backs, Hothhil swings wildly as Pyotr pierces a condemned corpse through the liver!

Then Mondegreen and Hothhil are beaten into unconsciousness! (-8 to hp, and -14 respectively!)

Pyotr's new shield is all that saves him from joining them! Only the half-orc mariner and Ingrid remain standing!

Around the corner, Rudolf can hear the pitiless cries of his friends as they fall!

Actions?!

Map:

In the haunted woods beyond the borders of Vicar's Head, Bo, Brevo and Mouser are stalked by the walking dead! The deathless terrors would never tire, never relent.

After a tense exchange, the grey druid scales a tree as Brevos the ranger moves off, clanging his sword and shield, trying to lead the horde of unspeakable horrors away!

Mouser hesitates for a moment, struggling to decide which of the two fates is worse!

Actions?!

Map:

1= Hothhi,l Ingrid, Mondegreen, Pyotr, Rudolf in the dungeons. 2 = Bo, Brevos and Mouser in the woods. 3 = Telkis and Urdur near the desecrated church. ? = A pack of deathless pursuers.

Non-required reading (rolls and rulings):

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 13/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 8/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: -6/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 12", AC: 9(7), HP: 17/22, Spells: 3/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 19/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: -2/8, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 8, HP: 5/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 1/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 12/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph's eyes widen at the cries of his comrades. He does a quick check around the cell to ensure that there isn't a stone (weapon) that he missed. And if not he'll wipe the liquid from his brimming eyes (damnable dust) and set himself to receive the charge of the creature. I'm not dead yet! he'll scream, more to raise his own courage than to diminish that of the creature in front of him.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur knows there is no point in running, and any illusions he could weave would not fool the senses of the wolf.

With no other options, he draws his daggers and lets them fly.

Throw dagger [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

Throw dagger [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16

Damage from dagger [1d4] = 3
Last edited by SocraticLawyer on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"It was nice knowing you, Urdur. This may be of use to you, whatever it is, " saysTelkis as he drops the scroll tube he found in the church at the gnome's feet and steps forward to intercept the beast, moving just to the left of the flying daggers as best he can.
Short Sword (THAC0 20): To Hit:[1d20] = 15, Damage: vs s/m [1d6] = 2, vs L [1d8] = 8

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#117 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Seeing the warrior go down, Ingrid focuses all her energies on healing Hothhil.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser follows the ranger into the woods - it's at least a better chance of being trapped in a tree!

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos continues heading north making noise to draw the dead his way

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hothhil groans under the crushing blow. The healing prayers of Ingrid are not enough to call him back to battle.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”