Chapter 20: Hungry Are The Dead

Inferno
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 20: Hungry Are The Dead

#161 Post by wolfpack »

ravenn4544 wrote:Mouser continues to follow.. seeing Brevos start to veer back to town he cautions in a whisper, "Ho there a second -- i don't think heading back to town is the greatest of ideas.... we finally evaded these ones, why attract more? We're too tired to out run any more.."

My hope is we have moved far enough out of zone to circle around to the other side of town the dead shambled out of.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Four. Afternoon. Tuesday, November 15th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

In the fog drenched lanes of Vicar's Head, hungry rats and crows look on eagerly as Telkis and the unspeakable thing that is no longer human rage their brutal war of attrition over the body of fallen Urdur!

The valiant gnome warrior is about to seize an advantage and cut his enemy's throat when suddenly, the horrific beast breaks through his defenses. Savage jaws rip open Telkis' bowels and the inhuman predator begins to consume him alive! (8hp damage)

Telkis falls beneath red claws and fangs, and then there is only merciful oblivion.

Rudolf watches in horror as the bars of his dungeon cell give way beneath the host of ghastly undead! He charges the ruptured door, but his sword strikes only its iron bars.

Then he is overcome by the macabre horde of the dead, torn asunder as he defiantly shouts and curses with his final breath! (8hp damage)

In the haunted wood, Long Bo traverses from one treetop to another, narrowly avoiding a plunge to his death. Then he descends the second tree, looking to escape into the fog.

As he lands, suddenly out of the mist shrieks the deathless cadaver that was waiting for him! (Z34)

It strangles the grey druid with dead, cold hands (3hp damage) as the other breathless terrors descend to the earth!

Actions?!

Map:

1 square = 10'. Reduced visibility is indicated by fog. Movement is one third normal, due to overgrown, rough terrain.

Brevos and Mouser cross through the dense woods, circling around to reach the southern end of Vicar's Head. Mouser tries to dissuade the ranger from ever returning to the village of the damned.

The journey takes hours through the fog and thick undergrowth. Once, they need to alter their route to evade a lurching shape emerging from out of the mist.

They flee the shambling horror and, as the shadows grow long, they spot the forsaken hamlet from a distance.

A scrawled sign is posted at the main road:

KEEP OUT!
PLAGUE!
THIS PLACE IS DAMNED!

Beyond it are thick fire-blackened posts where witches had certainly been burned.

Beyond the sign and the stakes, they see no movement on the streets. But the fog is ever present.

The Grey Mouser again urges Brevos that they should escape Vicar's Head with their lives... now, while they still can!

Actions?!

Area Map:

1= Hothhil, Ingrid, Mondegreen, Pyotr, Rudolf in the dungeons. 2 = Bo in the woods. 3 = Telkis and Urdur near the desecrated church. 4= Brevos and Mouser in the woods. ? = A pack of deathless pursuers.

Non-required reading (rolls and rulings):
Initative: Party: [1d6] = 6, Monsters: [1d6] = 5. Next Initative: Party: [1d6] = 1, Monsters: [1d6] = 2 (excluding zombies which always strike last in a round.)
Werewolf attacks Telkis: [1d20] = 8, damage: [2d4] = 2 Misses.
Werewolf attacks Telkis: [1d20] = 15, damage: [2d4] = 8 Hits for 8hp damage. This attack precedes Telkis' natural 20 (see "next initiative" above), knocking Telkis unconscious before his critical hit occurs. :( That was a hell of a fight.
Z3, Z11 attack Rudolf: [1d20] = 12, [1d20] = 9, damage: [1d8] = 5, [1d8] = 8
Z1 attacks Rudolf: [1d20] = 18, damage: [1d8] = 3 Z1 and Z3 hit for 8hp damage total.
Brevos tracking: [1d100] = 44 Success.
Surprise? Bo: [1d6] = 6, Zombie: [1d6] = 1 Bo is surprised! Zombie gets a surprise round:
Z34 attacks Bo: [1d20] = 10, damage: [1d8] = 3 Bo is hit for 3hp damage.
Wandering Monsters? (1): Bo: [1d6] = 6, Brevos and Mouser: [1d6] = 1 Brevos and Mouser encounter something...
Surprise? Brevos and Mouser: [1d6] = 1, Monsters: [1d6] = 2 Both are surprised by each other, only because of Brevos' ranger ability.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 13/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 8/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: -5/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 12", AC: 9(7), HP: -4/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 16/30, Spells: 4/6 1st lvl, 2/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: -7/8, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 8, HP: -9/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: -7/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: -2/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 0/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by wolfpack »

We will never survive going back into town, maybe we should each climb the tallest tree and see is we can spot anything. I loath the idea of just leaving everyone behind, but if they have not escaped now what can we do.

That or we make out way around to where we left Bo

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser looks at Brevos with a hard stare before speaking.."i don't like leaving anyone behind either - i'll never forget what we went through in that muddy abyss and those.... things. This is now. We are doomed if we go back to that town. Let's say a prayer for our friends and head away as far as we can and keep pressing on... what about this road east?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#165 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur dreams of his oldest friend, Mittens. "You were right all along, old buddy," he says, rubbing the hound's belly. "We should have stayed away."

In the waking world, the unconscious gnome waits for the wolf to finish its gruesome work.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by rredmond »

Kicking and yelling, Rudolph falls like that time with the 10 constables and their clubs. He didn’t get the better of that fight as he won’t this one - he was never much of a brawler, preferring more strategy than brute assault. The Green Fields better take off this wolfen curse, he thinks, or the purse of Brandobaris himself is in jeopardy! As he hears the rending of his own flesh he starts to float away feeling as if he were in one of the old stories his Aunt Elanorellë use to tell. For a fleeting moment his eyes fluttered open and he thought perhaps the Eagles are coming! The giant Eagles would save them all. The crushing reality came in as the pain started to dim. That was a tale from long long ago, Eagles can’t soar in a dungeon. This is my tale and it is ended now. ‘Good-bye!’ And his thought fled far away and his eyes saw no more.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by wolfpack »

Those trapped in town we can't help, however last we saw Bo he was in the forest. perhaps we can find him.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#169 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo shoves the lone zombie back off of him and starts a spell which he hopes will hold the mindless creature in it's tracks.

He will try to drop another Entangle spell directly in front of him.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser seems torn but past the point of no return. "I hear ya, I do... but I think we need to head east. It's afternoon already and the moon will rise soon. Maybe we'll finally get a break and find a place we can secure ourselves for the night... The road west is death for sure.."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by wolfpack »

Knowing it would take to long to get to Bo's last position brevos reluctantly agrees with Mouser.

We can only hope Bo made it after we led the dead away.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Four. Late afternoon. Tuesday, November 15th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

In the haunted wood, Long Bo steps back and prays to the god of Nature to save him from horrors unnatural. Weeds and shoots, vines and roots, spring to life and grasp at the trio of the dead, but the one nearest the grey druid breaks free! And the others will be unleashed in minutes!

Bo flees into the misty, spectral forest stalked by the deathless, unrelenting things!

In time uncertain, the druid escapes them and stops to catch his breath. The distant howl of a wolf pierces the dread silence.

Lost in the haunted wood, Bo tries to find his way back to Vicar's Head, knowing that the macabre undead stand between him and the village of the damned. Coming on dusk, he finally emerges from the disorienting wood alive, and sees Vicar's Head below him. Its fog-shrouded streets are quiet. But Bo knows he is too late.

The third and final night of the full moon is upon him. He feels the change coming. Nothing can help him now.

Meanwhile, far away, Brevos and Mouser see the Harvest Moon too. Having escaped the forsaken hamlet, they had fled west trying to reach the Hookhill Road when they too were overtaken by the darkness that claims the land.

Meanwhile in Vicar's Head, in the dungeon of the stone tower, and in the streets near the violated church of Pelor, the fallen heroes all awaken from death! Hothhil, Ingrid, Mondegreen, Pyotr, Rudolf, Telkis and Urdur return from the grave!

For the third time, the wan moonlight heals their wounds! Miraculously, all their most recent injuries are cured! Mondegreen still clutches a blood-stained journal taken from the secret occult library in the tower. Suddenly, he spasms in pain, tearing a page that reads:

"Once bitten, they art damned! Once they become The Beast, nothing but silver can slay them."

Then all the heroes undergo their ghastly, harrowing transformation into things inhuman and unspeakable!

Wracked by searing pain, their very bodies change; skeleture warping, bone and fang lengthening, muscles writhing, growing, rupturing.

They cry out. Howling like wolves. Calling to the pack.

They rip free of their armor just before it strangles their rapidly growing forms. They sprout dark fur and become like unto The Beast.

Once more, they are gripped by an all-consuming hunger. Once more, their identities, their very selves, are given over to a dark and primal force. They have no memory of what transpires next, only frightful nightmares of deeds terrible, bestial and wholly evil.

Then suddenly...

...they all awaken together with the bleak grey dawn, on the cold hard ground somewhere deep within the haunted wood; they know not where. They are themselves once more, in both mind and body.

Damned to live.

Once more, bellies full. Once more, soaked in blood that is not their own. Once more, healed of recent wounds. Once more, dressed only in ragged tatters. Once more, their meager possessions long gone.

Revenants, doomed and cursed. Trapped within a living Hell with no hope of escape.

Ingrid and Pyotr realize that Mondegreen Cindereye is not among them. And the elf, the druid and the ranger know the next full moon is almost four weeks away.

Actions?!

Non-required reading (rolls and rulings):
Zombies save vs Spells: [1d20] = 17, [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 14 The first zombie (Z34) saves. He is nearest Bo, at the edge of the AOE.
Bo finds his way back to town? (lower is better): [1d100] = 47 Bo makes it back to town, but it takes hours to get there.

Fyi: All non-silver wounds are healed. All magic healings cast yesterday remain in effect.
Ingrid and Long Bo get new spell slots with the morning.
Mouser and Urdur haven't cast any spells, their spell slots remain.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 12/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 9/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 8, HP: 20/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 12", AC: 10(8), HP: 18/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 20/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 24/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 7/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 16/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 7, HP: 6/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#173 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Not even death is able to free us from this curse. We are well and truly damned. I hope Mondegreen, wherever he may be, has somehow found peace.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser lays quietly staring at the sky through the trees. He listens for a few heartbeats before he rises slowly and surveys the group around him. A dark and distant look fills his eyes as recalls feral thoughts that brought them here. After a while he rises completely and takes stock of his lack of possessions.

The reality of the situation sinks in and for a moment, also, and he offers "We are lucky to be 'alive'..."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by wolfpack »

For the first time in many decades since he was a child Brevos places his face in his hands and softly weeps.

After collecting him self he stands and takes several minutes orienting himself.

We need to find the alter we originally came across. Our things are all there and that alter needs destroyed.

Brevos will try to find the direction he believes leads back to the alter.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Urson »

Pyotr

Pyotr rolls to all fours, then gets to his feet. His eyes are blank, as if he is still asleep. Gradually, he comes to himself, a resigned look on his face.

He speaks slowly, clearly picking his words.I am not sure whether I should be relieved or terrified... I was in the Clearing at the End of The Path- actually speaking with John Bones- and now I'm here. I was pulled back from Death... just to continue a cursed life.

He wipes at the blood, adjusts his rags to preserve a little modesty, and begins scouting the immediate area, looking for tracks.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hothhil rolls over and spits blood out of his mouth, as well as... what is that? Fur, he hopes. He looks for Pyotr, Ingrid, Mondegreen and Rudolph and smiles grimly. This curse has it's up sides, at least. As long as we remain true to ourselves, and do not allow the Taint into our spirits, we can use it to our advantage, I hope.

He checks to see that his ring has remained with him again, then searches for a stout branch to use as a club or staff. Brevos is right. We must find our belongings. Mondegreen too, if we can. He catches up with the others, explaining what happened at the building, including the secret room. He worries over Brevos's and Telkis's wounds.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#178 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur sobs uncontrollably when he realizes what he has done. Again. For several minutes, he can do nothing but cry at the horror of their situation, knowing that even the sweet release of death will be denied him.

Eventually, the gnome stops crying and blows his nose on his tattered garment. He nods at his companions' suggestion that they make their way back to the altar, where perhaps their belongings might still be.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by rredmond »

Sensing danger the hobbit leaps from his repose, grasping with both hands for daggers that aren't there. He blinks for a moment before looking frantically around for several minutes. "Fool of a Rassendyll," he chides himself, punching the ground, "the tools!!" Now noticing the taste in his mouth and red of his hands, he angrily spits and rubs his hands clean in the dirt. "We need our stuff, then we need to find a way to rid ourselves of this curse," he spits even more angrily.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#180 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo stands up and brushes himself off, becoming a bit more used to the change that he himself might be able control some day.

Saying nothing, he attempts to use his natural navigational skills to figure out where the group ended up this time.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”