Cycle 1062, Day 33: Gwynedd

atpollard
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Cycle 1062, Day 33: Gwynedd

#101 Post by ffilz »

atpollard wrote:DOC

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 3: Hour 0:25 [Broken Rudder, Company Town, Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]
ffilz wrote:Doc will offer to cover the 10 credits in exchange for the coin.
The man accepts and Maggie takes your coin and delivers the man his change ... “Here, good British sterling.” she said to the man as she handed him the Britannia minted coins.

Doc returned to his table to examine the coin. On one side was the carved image of an island and on the reverse was a coil of runic script. Like any good Scholar, Doc had a copy of Sir Isaac Taylor's "Greeks and Goths : a study on the runes" among his small library to assist him in translating the coin as time allowed. While studying the coin, you overheard three local men talking at another table ...

“I'm telling you, O'Biergin himself is in on it.” said the first man to the second man.

“Who's in on what?” said a third man as he sat down with a cold ale to join the two men at the table. “Who are we talking about today?”

“Lord O'Biergin.” said the second man.

“What about him?” said the third man.

“Brian here thinks he's behind the crimes.” said the second man.

“That's daft.” said the third man. “His Lordship has more money than anyone ... except maybe old Belsey.”

“Not behind it,” said the first man. “but in on it! Think about it. How could this crime wave go on for so long with nobody getting caught unless some silver was trading hands to look the other way.”

“You're drunk, Brian Idle.” said the third man.

“Maybe I am, but I still say them what haves are the ones that make sure they get their piece of the pie.” said the first man.

All three men agreed with that and drank a toast to “A piece of the pie.” ... all three men laughed.

Doc had finished his meal and needed to check back at the Pharmacy on his patients.

[OOC: Do you want to continue to treat patients or move on to pursue some other interest in town? ... player's choice.]
Doc will definitely do more research on the coin later today. But first, back to the patients.

Does Doc know anything about the crime spree? He's been here for at least a few days.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#102 Post by atpollard »

JOSEPHINE

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 3: Hour 0:25 [Company Town, Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Crossing the wooden suspension bridge from Industry part to Company Town, you can hear the boisterous laughter of men and women coming from a Hotel to your immediate right. The two-storey wooden building [19] has a sign naming it the Grogg and Tankard Hotel. The smell of delicious food and fresh ale comes from that direction. Visible about 1000 feet ahead on the left is a second Hotel [8] with a sign naming it the Gwynedd Hotel.

Within Company Town, there are a variety of places to purchase clothing. Starting at the suspension bridge, there is a Leather Goods [14] that includes both sturdy clothing as well as accessories like belts and purses. Boots and Shoes can be made to order in about 24 hours and custom work is available. Building [7] houses a Jeweler, a professional Taylor and the "Broken Rudder" Tavern. Andovan's Dry Goods [6] is an enormous two and a half story general store that sells clothing among it's broad selection.

[OOC: Give me your choices and I'll fill in the details of the locations you select.]
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#103 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote:Does Doc know anything about the crime spree? He's been here for at least a few days.
That is a very good point that I had missed. Which of the three Hotels in town are you staying at:

[8] Gwynedd Hotel
[19] Grogg and Tankard Hotel
[47] Hearthfire Inn

What (specifically) you know depends on where you hear the rumors and information from.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by ffilz »

atpollard wrote:
ffilz wrote:Does Doc know anything about the crime spree? He's been here for at least a few days.
That is a very good point that I had missed. Which of the three Hotels in town are you staying at:

[8] Gwynedd Hotel
[47] Hearthfire Inn

What (specifically) you know depends on where you hear the rumors and information from.
Not knowing too much about each and why or why not Doc would have wound up at any specific one, let's go for the Grogg and Tankard as most likely to have him cross paths with the other PCs.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#105 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote:
atpollard wrote:

[8] Gwynedd Hotel
[47] Hearthfire Inn

Not knowing too much about each and why or why not Doc would have wound up at any specific one, let's go for the Grogg and Tankard as most likely to have him cross paths with the other PCs.
Since you have been here a few days, The Gwynedd Hotel is the sort of place where you dress for dinner. The Hearthfire Inn is a quaint family-run place where everyone eats together family style. The Grogg and Tankard is where people go for "Spring Break" (but the food is really good). You wouldn't have known that when you checked in, but you would have learned it since then (in case to talk to anyone). I'll PM some rumors and information that you know as soon as I get a chance.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by ffilz »

atpollard wrote:That is a very good point that I had missed. Which of the three Hotels in town are you staying at:

[8] Gwynedd Hotel
[47] Hearthfire Inn

ffilz wrote:Not knowing too much about each and why or why not Doc would have wound up at any specific one, let's go for the Grogg and Tankard as most likely to have him cross paths with the other PCs.
atpollard wrote:Since you have been here a few days, The Gwynedd Hotel is the sort of place where you dress for dinner. The Hearthfire Inn is a quaint family-run place where everyone eats together family style. The Grogg and Tankard is where people go for "Spring Break" (but the food is really good). You wouldn't have known that when you checked in, but you would have learned it since then (in case to talk to anyone). I'll PM some rumors and information that you know as soon as I get a chance.
My first inclination had been the Gwynedd Hotel, but that also seemed maybe too upscale for Social 3, even if he is a ship's doctor, Grogg and Tankard sounds like a decent fit.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Urson »

Josephine

Jo heads for Andovan Drygoods first. She's struck by a thought as she enters, and stops to speak with the cashier.

I'm looking for a set of mechanic's tools- the best quality available.

What is the best brand in the world? Finest quality, best material, etc? That's her first choice.

She'll also purchase a nice, medium-quality dress, and ask for a recommendation on a hotel.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#108 Post by atpollard »

JOSEPHINE

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 33: Shift 3: Hour 0:30 [Company Town, Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

The two storey open cavern just past the doors was a vast warehouse/store full of both shelves of goods and pallets of bulk items. Near the entrance, a wooden cart-wheelbarrow cross breed designed for transporting 50 gallon barrels was "on sale". An open catwalk formed the "second floor" and provided access to upper tiers of shelves. A man with a large pistol slung across a shoulder in a military holster glanced down from the walkway as the bell on the door announced your entry, but almost immediately returned to stocking the shelf.

A friendly woman who identified herself as Irene welcomed you to Andovans and inquired "Now how can I help you, Luv?"

I'm looking for a set of mechanic's tools- the best quality available. said Jo.

"Oh my, but you've come to the right place." she announces with a chuckle. She directs you down an aisle past a backpack sprayer and a pallet full of crated forges and anvils, to a shelf with six different tool kits to choose from.

"We have three different Carpentry Tool sets to choose from, ranging from a 25 tool basic set for 75 credits on up to a 100 tool professional set for 300 credits." Irene then pointed to another shelf, "and if you do more work with metal than wood, we have a basic Mechanic Tool Set for 250 credits on up to an advanced set for 1000 credits."

DATA:
  • Carpentry Tool Set, Basic (Cr 75, 12 lbs, 0.7 cu.ft.): Twenty-five of the most commonly used tools to support simple activities requiring Mechanical-0 skill packed in a 9"x9"x15" box.
  • Carpentry Tool Set, Advanced (Cr 150, 25 lbs, 1.4 cu.ft.): Fifty tools to support common activities requiring Mechanical-1 skill packed in a 9"x12"x22" box.
  • Carpentry Tool Set, Professional (Cr 300, 50 lbs, 2.8 cu.ft.): One hundred tools to support uncommon activities requiring Mechanical-2 skill packed in a 9"x18"x30" box.
  • Mechanic Tool Set, Basic (Cr 250, 10 lbs, 0.7 cu.ft.): Twenty-five of the most commonly used tools to support simple activities requiring Mechanical-0 skill packed in a 9"x9"x15" box.
  • Mechanic Tool Set, Advanced (Cr 500, 20 lbs, 1.4 cu.ft.): Fifty tools to support common activities requiring Mechanical-1 skill packed in a 9"x12"x22" box.
  • Mechanic Tool Set, Professional (Cr 1000, 40 lbs, 2.8 cu.ft.): One hundred tools to support uncommon activities requiring Mechanical-2 skill packed in a 9"x18"x30" box.

"Merik. Merik!" shouted Irene.

"Over here. Coming Ma." came a response from a distant corner, followed by rapid footsteps and the appearance of a 12 year old boy.

"Where is that box that strange fellow ordered?" said Irene.

Merik responded with a blank stare and a "Huh?"

"You know, the big fancy box with all of those tools." said Irene with the exasperation of a mother with an 'almost teen'. [They are all brain damaged, you know.]

"Oh, THAT box." said Merik. "I dunno. By the pianos, I guess. Is that all?"

"Yes, you can go back to what you were doing." said Irene. "just don't let your father catch you." she whispered with a shake of her head. "That boy will either grow up to be a criminal or a politician." she said to Jo. "He is always up to some mischief."

Jo was mostly focused on the tool cases and leaning towards the Professional Mechanic Tools, although she preferred the weight of the Advanced Tool Set, when Irene interrupted "I have something that you might want to see before you decide." She hooked hour arm like a mother guiding a child and led you towards several pianos. One was a self-playing upright piano. In the corner was a canvas cloth covered in dust hiding some sort of box. "Here it is."

Irene removed the dusty cloth to reveal a custom 9"x20"x38" oak clamshell box adorned with rosewood, ebony, pearl and ivory. "This eccentric man named Mr. Henry Stanley ordered a custom tool box. He placed a 20 percent deposit, but disappeared shortly after it arrived and never came to pay the balance or claim his tools." Irene unlocked the fine brass clasps and opened the case to reveal a complete set of 300 woodworking, machinist and stonemasonry tools.

Leaning close Irene whispered "It cost 2000 credits and Mr. Studley still owes 1600 credits on it, but after 2 years, I just want it sold so for 1300 credits it is all yours."

DATA:
  • Studley Master Tool Set (Cr 2000, 150 lbs, 4.0 cu.ft.): A complete set of 300 woodworking, machinist and stonemasonry tools to support any activity requiring Mechanical-2 skill ... packed in a custom 9"x20"x38" oak clamshell box adorned with rosewood, ebony, pearl and ivory.
Attachments
studley_tool_chest_open.jpg
studley_tool_chest_open.jpg (278.53 KiB) Viewed 4362 times

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Inferno »

"Phineas T. Codswallop!" the diminutive man of magnification said as he shook Gottard's hand. "This here is my associate, the Amazing Zolani!"

Phineas tucked himself into a table with a view and bought Zolani drinks and dinner. "So my young man! Tell me about yourself!" But the loquacious impresario only half listened. His sharp eyes were focused on the gambling floor, searching for weakness like a lion assessing a herd of gazelle.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Urson »

Josephine

Josephine gasps in amazement when she sees this magnificent tool set. For a moment, she looks at it the way most folks would look at fine sculpture, drinking it in.
Well-made things have a beauty all their own. This was someone's masterwork.

She reaches for her wallet, then realizes she still has only the check. I'll definitely be wanting this, ma'am. But I need to get my paycheck cashed. I'll be back in a very few minutes.

If the lady is concerned about Jo vanishing like the man who ordered the toolbox, Jo can offer her a few hundred credits in cash as a down payment.

Jo walks briskly to the bank to get her check cashed, and to set up a checking account of her own- assuming that the bank can do this.
FA FO

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Leitz »

Diana

"Well, sounds like we can trade." Diana said to Abi. "I'll give you a hand with the single rooms and you tell me which of the dealers runs an honest game. If any of them do. We'll see how my luck holds at the tables."

Having said that, Diana isn't much of a maid but helped Abi as much as she could before heading to the main area. It also gave her a chance to observe any alternate exits and to see if anyone was signalling or spying on players below.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Pulpatoon »

atpollard wrote:About half a mile away is a small island ... well less than an island, but more than a sand bar. It was too small to settle on and so low that it was probably completely under water at high tide. However it was dry enough to allow a cluster of trees to grow and was above the water at this moment. Debris from the ship appeared to gather in the natural currents that surrounded the islands. Survivors might have been swept to that Island with the debris.
Ignatz points the sandbar out to his compatriots. "Let's inspect that bit of land and see if there are any survivors among the flotsam." He cranes his neck on the off chance that his trunk might be among the debris.

To the young woman, whom Ignatz has trouble looking at directly: "Miss, that is, Becky, your bandage is soaked with seawater. Let us exchange it for a dry one." He motions, nervously, for her to sit near him so that he can change the dressing while hold the till with one knee.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by atpollard »

When the Ref can't even manage a rate of one post per week, it is time to just face the reality that I am too busy to run this game. Time to put this thing out of its misery and euthanize this game.
You all were great and I made some rookie mistakes and overextended myself.

Sorry,
Arthur

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”