Chapter 19: Ghost Town

Inferno
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 19: Ghost Town

#61 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos will look t arm himself with armor, shield, long sword, and bow.

I am going to travel just out side of town and try to get my bearings on where the altar may be. after this last night we can try to return there and find out things. i will also look to take any game I may come across on the outskirts least we be forced to dine on rats.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo prays to the Shalm in the morning, wondering if he will receive his favor in such a beleaguered state.

"We shouldn't travel too far from this town today. We might need to use these cells again tonight."

Once he knows if he can still receive his magic, the druid searches for something he can wear to fend off the cold for the next 10 hours or so.

He inspects his own human body carefully, hoping to find any more clues about this horrific transformation.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

At some point, we should plan to reinforce the doors to this cellar. The cells themselves took a lot of damage last night.

HP recovery (1-2 on a d10): [1d10] = 10
Nope

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#64 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Relieved that Tritherion helped her get through the night, she quickly utters a prayer of thanks. We have plenty to do before the moon is out. I think we should visit the armory and equip ourselves. Remember, the rats told Bo there is something else here. I do not wish to run into whatever it may be without giving ourselves the best chance at survival.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph will dress in whatever he's got. He'll seek out a short sword and dagger, or two daggers, for weapons. He'll hang on to the thieve's tools I'll see what I can do here to reinforce the cells and ready the locks for tonight, just don't forget me if you find any food he says to the others. Comfortable in this dungeon/cell area, considering he's spent some time in similar, he'll seek around making sure the area is safe (no secret/concealed doors in the walls or trapdoors in the floor or ceiling, note the exits and get to work fortifying the cells.

14 Constitution heals 1 hit point and has a 40% chance to heal a 2nd hit point: [1d100] = 67
Only 1 HP back for Rudolph.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Extra Healing (20% chance): [1d10] = 1I think this is the first time Telkis has ever made the extra healing roll in this campaign. :)
Telkis warily exits his cell, thankful it held, amazed at the damage it sustained. “Yes, let’s get ourselves armed,” he agrees. Once in the armory, he’ll look around hoping, on the off chance, to find a morningstar. If not, he’ll settle for hand axes and daggers. “I wonder if they have chain in child sizes?” he muses, digging through the armor.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser will arm himself as he can from the armory "I"ll join you Brevos - none of us should be going anywhere alone that's for sure."

healing (10%): [1d100] = 82

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Urson »

Pyotr
[1d100] = 6

Pyotr busies himself helping Rudolph with the repairs/reinforcements.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur shakes his head, knowing that they should not split up again, while also realizing that these tasks must be accomplished.

Urdur grabs a dagger from the armory, and searches the upper floor of the tower with whomever is going that way.

Extra HP? (2) [1d10] = 10 Nope.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

After retrieving armor, Hothhil will look at the upper levels of the tower.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph will nod at Pyotr as they get to work. But before they start, as the others are dispersing, he will check the courtroom to get anything of use to help them fix (or barricade, or whatever) the cells.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Inferno »

Vicar's Head, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Four. Dawn. Tuesday, November 15th, 576 CY
Cold, foggy, cloudy

The heroes quickly free themselves from their voluntary imprisonment in the dungeon beneath the stone tower.

Then Brevos, Hothhil, Mouser, Ingrid, Telkis and Urdur search the half-empty, ransacked armory.

There are 5 shortswords, 2 longswords, 5 daggers, 3 shields, 4 helms and 6 spears, and chainmail in several sizes. (Please roll 1d100. There is a 60% chance to find chainmail that fits a male Human. 50% chance to fit a female Human, male Half-Elf or male Half-Orc. 40% chance to fit a male Elf. And a 30% chance to fit a male Gnome. Good luck.)

Brevos tells the others he plans to venture back into the haunted wood to try to locate the black altar, and their lost possessions. Mouser agrees to accompany him.

Urdur and Long Bo search the upper level of the tower and discover ransacked barracks and offices. Hothhil joins them.

The grey druid finds clothes in which to warm himself. Then he withdraws into silent introspection, staring at his open hands.

Rudolf searches the shattered courtroom. The urban rogue believes that the vandalism is not a byproduct of looting, but rather an emotional act; the ends, not the means to other ends.

He finds extensive court records of a series of trials where many citizens of Vicar's Head stood accused of lycanthropy, witchcraft, and consorting with the Devil. The accusations had spread like a wildfire across the community. All the accused were found guilty and put to death in the most gruesome ways imaginable.

Beneath the low tower, Pyotr begins searching the dungeon cells while awaiting Rudolf's return.

The half-orc mariner discovers no hidden doors but does find a loose stone in one cell's wall. Behind the brick is a dirty scrap of cloth. There is writing on it:

"I was here.
They've shaved my head. They've tortured me. They will kill me soon.
But please know that my name is Rebeccah and once, I was here."

The hand is feminine and juvenile. The medium is blood.

Actions?

Map:

The heroes are in stone tower near X.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 13/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 8/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 14/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 12", AC: 9(7), HP: 17/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 19/30, Spells: 5/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 3/8, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 8, HP: 11/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 6/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 12", AC: 5, HP: 12/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 5/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Urson »

Pyotr

Pyotr replaces the stone, but holds onto the scrap of cloth. He whispers a generalized prayer for the spirit of Rebeccah. Is there any way to guess how old this note is?

Pyotr sets to work trying to straighten the bars of the cells.
Bend bars 10%

[1d100] = 57
[1d100] = 25
[1d100] = 2
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Armor 40%: [1d100] = 10

Hothhil hurriedly dons his new chainmail. Not the best fit, but good enough. He also swaps his short sword for a longsword. He takes a less storied shield as well, being glad to be rid of the bloody thing from the carnage outside.

He proceeds up the steps, taking the lead towards the offices, ready to protect Urder and Long Bo. It's hard not to have some hope if finding a survivor. But I almost hope we don't, because how could we trust them?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph brings the most pertinent records back down with him to show the sailor what he found. "Wonderful eh, not just killing folks but torturing them to death! Plus this town seems as reactionary as the last, I'd bet some of these accused weren't actually guilty... a lot of power a false accusation can hold in dark times."

Leaving the strength work to the 1/2 orc, Rudolph redoubles efforts to ensure that locks and cells are sound and escape free, "hold for at least one more night he whispers to himself." If any of the others comes back with weapons, Rudolph will ask about adding a short sword and dagger to his meager equipment.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis sorts through the pile of chain armor several times in hopes of finding a suitable match before finally giving it up as hopeless. Then, incredibly, as he is walking out he is delighted to discover a small set hiding forgotten behind a door, hanging on a wooden mannequin. After acquiring a helm and a shield, from the weapons he’ll take a dagger, and though not yet comfortable in its use, a short sword. He tries not to think about Cranach.

After arming himself, he’ll look for a blanket he can fashion into some sort of tabard style clothing.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur takes a few of the daggers. He's better at throwing them than sticking them into things up close.

The gnome offers to continue a search of the town, once they have completed their exploration of the tower. Although he realizes how unlikely it is, Urdur hopes to find a library or book shop. Perhaps they might have a mystical scroll or two, or at least clues on where to find something like that. He tries not to think of the expensive and time-consuming prospect of replacing his lost spellbook.

Urdur won't head out alone, but if anyone else want to look for a bookshop, he'll spend the morning exploring the town. His first priority is finding books and scrolls, but he's also on the lookout for flint and tinder, torches, flasks of oil, holy water, and/or wolfsbane.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by wolfpack »

[1d100] = 73

Brevos will look for a bow as he moves through the dead bodie soutside.

he isn't going to try to go all the way back to the altar.

he is just trying to determine if he can identify what direction he believes it is

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser ignores the chain mail - that just gets in the way of being quiet - and picks up a dagger for some measure of defense.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Donning the armor, Hothhil realizes how wounded he is. He turns to Ingrid. Does Tritherion continue to allow you to offer healing?

Later, as Urder mumbles about finding magical books, Hothhil notes that this town seemed as averse to the use of magic as the last town. If there are any scrolls or spell books, they are likely hidden. Perhaps there are a few locked away in the offices upstairs.

Inferno: I have added a "Current Inventory" section in the player notes section of the character sheet, which includes things recovered at the mercantile. I did this because I have a hope the party will recover their lost equipment at some point.

Edited to correct the many, many auto (in)corrects from my phone.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”