Chapter 17: The Thing in the Woods

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

In the Flanaess, autumn slowly, inexorably perished, giving way to the long, cold death of winter to come.

The survivors of the unspeakable events at Briarsgate...
  • Brevos, grim, doomladen ranger
    Grey Mouser, wily thief who dabbles recklessly in sorcery
    Ingrid Esthof, valiant priestess and monster hunter
    Long Bo, mysterious grey druid of the Shalm
    Telkis Brassfang, gnome warrior trained by dwarves
    Urdur Shimmerstone, gnomish conjurer of falsehoods
...had done all they could to help the once-prosperous farming village heal. After resting and recovering for a week, they left Briarsgate...

...for sadly, their dreadful work was not yet complete.

Bearing away the eternal gratitude of the grateful villagers, with gifts of food, woolen clothes and blankets (add all you want to your sheet at no cost, modifying for Encumbrance and Movement), they resolutely set out to investigate two lingering loose ends connected to the Horror at Briarsgate:
With grim determination, they planned to search for the ancient temple first, then journey to the city of Hookhill. Time was short if they were to beat the snows of winter. They set out east for the dreary, rainswept city of Shiboleth.

There, they resupplied (Please purchase whatever gear you need from the PHB list), and met a small party of adventurers:
  • Hothhil Thornbush, elven archer and swordsman
    Mondegreen Cindereye, dark, androgynous practitioner of witchcraft
    Pyotr Whitetip, half-orc warrior and former mariner, far from the coast
    Rudolf Rassendyll, merry hobbit burglar without a care in the world
The heroes' fearsome destination could hold riches, magic, and the chance to fight evil. These proved motivation enough for the new adventurers to join them.

They quit the grey city and traveled through the wilderness, following the Lort River northward into the ominous shadows of the looming black peaks.

They planned to take the pass through mountains blanketed with forests as old as the Oerth itself. But at the threshold of the foreboding mountain chain, and still a week away from their final destination, an unexpected snowstorm bore down upon them. Brevos and Long Bo had smelt it coming since morning. It would reach them by nightfall.

They couldn't outrun it, nor risk being trapped in the mountain pass when it hit. As the sun began to fail, the only shelter they could find was a tiny settlement not found on any map, nestled at the base of the thickly forested peaks.

All was quiet there. Candles burned within humble log cabins. Smoke and the smell of hot food wafted from their chimneys.

The heavens began to weep icy flakes.

Actions?! (...and in addition to actions, please also use your introductory post to acquaint the other players with your character. Thanks!)

Area Map:

White X = PCs current location.
Red X = Supposed location of the lost shrine of unspeakable evil.

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 9", AC: 9, HP: 12/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 30/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 12/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 32/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 9/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 17: The Thing in the Woods

#2 Post by rredmond »

Hmm, says the hobbit almost to himself, stroking a non-existent beard, lot's of fun and treasure to be had in an ancient temple. Then, looking at the assembled party he smiles and adds, and this looks like a crew that can handle it. I'm Rudolph, an adventurer by trade, he smiles at everyone, trying to look each in the eye and shake any hand that's offered. I'm used to working alone or in small groups to, let's say, achieve mutual goals, but I think I'd enjoy working with a larger group of folks that know what they are doing... so many out there that don't. You all look like you've seen some unpleasant times recently.

While in the forest Rudolph will spend a lot of time up front. Though he'll try to talk to everyone, he'll likely be fascinated by the 1/2 elf ranger, the druid and the gnomes. And he'll laugh a bit while talking to Pyotr about a gem. But when they head into town, Rudolph becomes quiet and fades to the back, hugging shadows when he can and looking out for any man-made traps of any sort, both on the ground and over their heads.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by AleBelly »

"Time is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It just...exists" says Mondy absentmindedly. He does not look at the halfling as he replies, and it's not even clear he's talking to Rudolph. He strokes the head of the black cat within a huge pocket of his black robe, then snaps into focus. He looks down at Rudolph, barely half his size.

"But if you mean my circumstances, well, those are at a nadir." He shivers slightly under his cloak, drawing it closer to his shoulders as he peers through the falling snow towards the meagre dwellings. "And they show little promise of immediate improvement."

The tall, pale human has been friendly enough, but has said little to the others on their journey, and has been especially aloof from the gnomes. Not a surprising situation, considering his animal companion has shown a tendency to eat their burrowing friends.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos looks at the halfling

half of our last party died escaping a pit where a rotting, slime ridden monstrosity the size of a mountain tried to enter our world from the abyss. It took the power of the priestess to cause an earthquake to collapse the pit to save all of existence.

with that he turns and trudges forward towards the hamlet buildings seeking refuge.
Last edited by wolfpack on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ravenn4544 »

Mouser nods at the newcomers, while dark and vacant eyes remember the horrors that his lost comrades endured. Formerly a care-free come-what-may rogue, his demeanor has forever been changed, scarred even, by the evils of that dark abyss. Are those snow flakes falling now? Or are they the cold whispering touch of evil lurking in his soul?

After a little while longer, he does seem to take note of his reality and eyes up the magical stature of Mondegreen and thinks, Perhaps there is knowledge to be shared here. But perhaps another time...

He looks again forward at the village and considers the coming days and months ahead. Is that fear I feel? Or perhaps some grim embrace of returning home.... ?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The immensely tall grey druid, affectionately known as Bo or Long Bo, takes his time warming up to the newcomers. He is glad to have the assistance of Pyotr, the massive fighting half-orc and Hothhil the elf should prove quite useful to the group, but he keeps a close eye on the jovial hobbit. Not that he doesn't trust or care much for the diminutive race, he just remembers the trouble the party (mostly himself) had with the last greedy thief. He admits openly to the others that he is glad to be rid of Hoom, still not completely certain the headstrong elf didn't have some hidden purpose for being with the group in the first place. The strange looking, tall, dark, and mysterious mage is a bit of a mystery to the druid though, so he decides to let that relationship grow on its own accord.

The lanky human thinks about his friends who were recently lost rather often as they travel, wondering if there was anything he himself could have done to prevent their demise. He finds that he misses Pelais, the stoic holy warrior, wishing the ginger paladin could have been spared. He didn't know Pip well, or very long, but appreciated having him around. He doesn't necessarily miss the righteous hotheaded Grothnak, but believes even he deserved a better fate. He hangs his head in prayer to the Shalm whenever he thinks about how they died so the rest of the group could survive, hoping that his own eventual demise could hold such meaning someday. Someday far, far in the future, the druid hopes.

Filling up on the gratitude and proffered hand made supplies of the remaining goodly folk of Briarsgate, and then stocking up further in Shiboleth, Bo and his avian friend Sephus are actually glad to get back to work, hoping new action will take his focused mind off of those who were lost. He confers often with Brevos the ranger as they travel, feeling a bit of simpatico with the man. He knows that together, the pair will likely be the most important members of the group, at least until the shrine is reached. He uses Sephus as an airborne scout often, glad to have his smart little black crow back and living in his cloak hood again.

Once arriving at the quiet settlement, Bo cautions the others about how the "normal" townsfolk of Briarsgate reacted to them trying to help, just in case the long reach of the cultists have infiltrated out this far. "I wouldn't expect to be treated with any fanfare or even hospitality here. There is a reason these folks live so far away from normal everyday civilization." He has Sephus do a quick flyover of the buildings as he joins Brevos in his approach. He turns and offers one final warning to his new friends. In his smooth, booming deep voice, he expresses his thoughts. "If these people are overly hospitable, be on alert! Especially if they offer all of us..... something to drink."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hothhil knew the world was ancient and he believed it came from Darkness, but those were stories of ancient history. Such Darkness should not return. He did not want to believe what they said, but their earnestness forced him to believe them, and left him shaken. And so he had readily accepted their companionship.

Despite their fresh scars, each of his new traveling companions were amicable enough, and Hothhil made himself useful by scouting ahead when needed or asked. At other times he sang the ancient songs of his people to cheer their collective disposition. Or listened as the halfling did so, joining his laughter.

When they reached the circle of hovels that passed for a town, he offers to sneak in and scout, though he recommended the group show an open hand. Though your recent travels have left a shadow on your outlook of people, these are likely just good folks trying to get by. They'll have more reason to trust us if we don't present ourselves falsely.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The young cleric seems haunted. She tries to be friendly and pleasant with the newcomers, but she just can't quite let them get close, though they can tell she is trying. Unpleasant times is an understatement. Please, Brevos, don't sugarcoat things. Half our party died, yes, but I may have killed them. They were willing to give their lives so the rest of us could get away, but I can't help but wonder, had we done things differently, would the others have escaped at the cost of only my life? I would have gladly traded one life for many.

Ingrid smiles sadly. I apologize. I have not always had such a bleak outlook, and I hope one day I no longer will, but it will take some time. The more people I am able to help, the faster I believe I will...not put the loss of the others past me, because they will be in my heart forever, but regain the lightness of spirit I once had, back when we first arrived in Briarsgate. I just hope I am able to be of aid and comfort to others. Tritherion...Tritherion punished me by not responding to my prayers at critical moments. You see, I had a crisis of faith in the face of unimaginable evil.

Some things mortals are not equipped to handle. Unfortunately, we saw things- terrible things- we will never forget. Things that should not exist, but do. I had no idea such evil could exist, let alone walk the earth. Darkness walks the land, and it has become our solemn duty to fight it, to return light to the land and it's people. It is an undertaking that I will dedicate the rest of my life to, regardless of whether Tritherion sees fit to continue using me as a vessel.

The cleric gratefully accepted a blanket and set of woolen clothing from the good people of Briarsgate.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by wolfpack »

The doom laden ranger shrugs at Ingrids words.

You did not take their lives, the blame to the reaction of a situation someone else has put you in, falls on those who created the situation not the one reacting.

Besides we all die, we are marked with death at the time of our birth, it is the natural cycle. Our only solace is to destroy as much evil as we can until it comes to take us, in whatever form that may be.
Last edited by wolfpack on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

Pyotr

The bulky half-orc nods to everyone when introductions are made, and offers a firm, calloused handshake to everyone. I am Pyotr Whittip. This ist mein bad-mannered pet, Yvan. I am gladt to know you all, und I hope we can become vriends.
Yvan the crow squawks and chatters to Sephus, then calls out Trakhat'sya, ty kapusta! Pyotr blushes slightly. Anyone who speaks Orcish can understand the crow's vulgarities.

These people may be vriendly- but they may be put off by our numpers. Maybe ve form smaller groups undt speak to different households?
Last edited by Urson on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by AleBelly »

As Sephus takes off, Mondegreen nuzzles his cat. "That bird isn't for eating, Umbra."

Mondegreen and the black cat converse in mews, and finally the tall mage nods. "Yes, dear, go take a look. But be careful."

Umbra will circle the village, quietly and at a distance. She will not place herself in any danger and will flee or completely avoid any living creatures that are outside.

As the cat departs, the black-clad mage says wistfully to nobody in particular. "As they say, curiosity skills - the cat!"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by SocraticLawyer »

The gnome Urdur spends little time among his fellows during their stay in Briarsgate. He converses mainly with Telkis, and the mice. He pores over his spellbook, and his scroll, seeking additional knowledge. After several days of study, he happily announces to the mice that he has learned a new spell. They seem unimpressed.

Before the group leaves Briarsgate, Urdur pulls aside the cleric Ingrid. He pulls out the enchanted dagger and necklace that he had recovered from the swamp. "These are items of unspeakable evil," he says. "They must be destroyed. Already I can feel their influence on me. Is there a temple to your god that can dispose of such things? My own magic is not powerful enough..." He looks up hopefully at his companion.

Urdur introduces himself to the new members of the group. "Hello," he says, offering a hand and shaking it weakly. He was never one for social graces. He laughs at Yvan the crow's vulgar joke.

As the group travels, Urdur notices the many animal companions in the group. He is again filled with sadness over the loss of his own companion and best friend, Mittens. With all the evil that he has witnessed recently, all the abominable horrors, the undead nightmares, the things that should not be--all of these things Urdur has seen, yet his soul is most clouded by the loss of his dog. Has the evil of this place taken root in his soul?

When the group approaches the town, Urdur stays in the back. He looks for any mouse-holes or the like in the ground.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis says goodbye to the stoat he’s been chatting with for the last half hour or so as they marched along, casting a stern, scowling glance at Mondry’s cat as the critter, Mr. Toby, a nice fellow and a great conversationalist, ambles back into the woods.

He eyes the warm glow emanating from the village huts. There was a time when he would have approached unconcerned, but those days are over. The evil in that Garl-forsaken hole had changed him, taken something out of him which he'd not fully recovered. He wasn't the same Gnome he used to be - then again, being raised and toughened surrounded by Dwarves meant he was not much of a Gnome anyway, he supposed, chuckling to himself. That toughness was probably the only reason he'd pulled through after having the life sucked out of him by that leering, palid... well, best not to think of it...

Hefting his new short bow and laying one hand on his trusty morningstar Cranach, he looks to the others. "Well, we might as well get this over with," he says and begins trudging up to the nearest hut.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Thank you, Urdur. I do not know if we will be near a temple dedicated to Tritherion anytime soon, but I'm sure that the priests at any temple would be willing to help me with these- assuming that we feel the priests have not been corrupted by the evil in the region. I will also see what I may be able to do with these items on my own. At the very least, they will no longer be your burden to bear, my friend.

Ingrid will make sure she wraps the tainted items before placing them in her backpack. When she has some time to deal with them, she will prepare Bless and cast it upon the water in her skin before sprinkling it on them. She will also recite a series of prayers in an attempt to cleanse them of their evil.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

In the Shadow of the Dark Wooded Mountains, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day One. Dusk. Saturday, November 12th, 576 CY
Overcast, cold, flurries

Deep in the wilderness, on the trail of the origin of the sinister evil that plagued the village of Briarsgate, the heroes seek shelter from a coming storm in a tiny settlement nestled in the thick, ancient woods at the base of the dark mountains. Pale snowflakes silently fall from a threatening sky.

As they quietly assess the meager assemblage of log cabins, Long Bo cautions the others about the "normal" townsfolk of Briarsgate. But physically, this settlement could not be more different.

Briarsgate was once a large, prosperous farming village, counting over 300 souls among the village and the outer farms. Its wealth blossomed from the rich, fertile earth around it, bringing prosperity for generations.

This settlement is one tenth the size of Briarsgate. Perhaps there are 30 settlers here? And a dozen homes? It appears a hard scrabble existence, scratched and hacked from the unforgiving land. A few sparse fields are visible for subsistence farming. A handful of goats, pigs and lambs are held in ramshackle pens. From the age of the logs that formed the cabins, perhaps this place has been here for one or two winters. Unlike Briarsgate, there are no taverns, no livery, no mill, no general store, no road. Every cabin appears to be a residence, save one large, darkened common house in the center.

Rudolph the hobbit keeps to the back of the group and furtively scans about for any man-made traps or snares defending this place. He finds none. Hothhil the elf proposes scouting ahead and Pyotr the half-orc, splitting up. Mondegreen the warlock sends out his black cat to scout the area.

"Why must I do everything?" Umbra the cat complains for Mondegreen's ears only. "It's so unfair. It's not my fault that I'm the cleverest and the most beautiful. Oh, very well. Wait here."

Urdur the gnome joins Rudolph in the back of the group, and searches the ground for burrows and mouse holes. He spies none. But, a distance away, he sees a wild rabbit, intently watching them.

Long Bo the druid sends his black crow Sephus up among the trees to survey the encampment as he joins Brevos the ranger and Telkis the gnome warrior in trudging to the nearest hut in search of refuge.

Suddenly, the other seven travelers surprise a girl returning from the woods.

Startled, she drops an armload of firewood and begins to nervously blather "Who? ... A-Art thou angels, heaven sent by Pelor, in answer to our prayers? Or art thou the Thing in the Woods... come to prey upon me?"
Seeing they mean no harm, the girl catches her breath. "....Pray. Forgiveth me. I am frightened. I saw a black cat skulking near! A wicked pawn of deviltry and witchcraft! Hast thou seen it also?"

Just then, the cat in question crosses the girl's path and slinks back to her human, Mondegreen, rubbing against his leg, arching her back and meowing. "Nothing is amiss in this terrible dreary hole," only the warlock can understand her say. Then, after an idle yawn: "You may pet me now."

In terror, the girl jumps. "A black cat?! Then... ye be witches!?"

"Purity! Dearest!" a woman calls from a distant cabin. "Who be with ye, daughter?!"

Brevos, Long Bo and Telkis are nearest the woman and her son. She suddenly notices the advancing trio and shields the boy. "Caleb! Go inside! Get ye father."

"Many strangers, mother. I know them not!" the girl shouts in answer to her mother. "They doth travel with a black cat!"

Other cabin doors are opening.

"Come, childe!" Purity's mother shouts. Then she takes one step toward Bo, Brevos and Telkis: "Who art thou? Name thyselves! What devils lurk here under cover of darkness!?"

Replies? Actions?!

PC Status:
  • Brevos, Half-Elf Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2(1), HP: 31/31
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 2/3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 15/15, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Hothhil Thornbush, Elven Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/20
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 4: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 22/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl and 4/4 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 4: Move: 9", AC: 4(3), HP: 30/30, Spells: 6/6 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Mondegreen Cindereye, Human Magic-User 2: Move: 9", AC: 9, HP: 12/12, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
    Pyotr Whitetip, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 30/30
    Rudolf Rassendyll, Halfling Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 12/12
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 32/32
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 3: Move: 12", AC: 4, HP: 9/9, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl and 1/1 2nd lvl
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Rudolph, Hobbit Thief

Rudolph melds into the shadows of the landscape and moves to the right of the group, taking out his sling as he goes. He doesn't fear the villagers or village, he assesses even if they meant harm they wouldn't be tough adversaries. He does worry, after talking to the existing party for only the little while that he's been able to, that he's hooked up with a very unlucky crew. For someone who's more than trusted his luck many times, he figures caution and stealth might be of utmost importance at this point.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by AleBelly »

"Thank you, dear" replies Mondegreen to his beloved cat. He cradles her in the crook of his arm, stroking her fur in gratitude.

The cat serves another purpose - it helps Mondy assess the sophistication of strangers. He is disappointed, but not surprised, by their superstitious reaction. It's not the first time he's seen this reaction. He offers no defense of the cat and remains in the background, allowing others to do the speaking.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by wolfpack »

Brevos slings his bow over his shoulder and raises his hands in a sign of I mean no harm.

I am Brevos, Ranger of the north. My companions and I mean you no harm.

We are traveling investigating a source of evil that fell upon the village of Briarsgate. The storm has led us to seek shelter.

he decides to cut to the chase and not try to smooth talk or deceive the simple people.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hothhil rolls his eyes at the foolish superstitions of these backwoods humans but says nothing about it. Instead, he helps the girl gather her firewood and carries it to the porch, setting the load down there. He joins Brevos's comments on merely seeking shelter through the storm. Perhaps the common building is available? We can pay for the space. We can feed ourselves and help gather firewood. He holds out a couple silver pieces to show it is not an empty gesture

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

Pyotr

The big half-orc keeps his head down, unsure how these folks will take his appearance. He helps Hothhil with the firewood, then stands near the back of the group, hands folded, trying to be invisible.

Yvan Caw-caws, then flaps down to the firewood, pecking for a grub.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”