Entering the Pod-Caverns

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Entering the Pod-Caverns

#101 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Clearly shaken by being attacked by a plant, Palgravadorix slumps against the cavern wall.

"I...I...am fine," he stammers, looking on ruefully as his companions launch attacks on the other plant. If he could train such a thing to protect his grove...he will poke at the bulb with his spear to see if there are any seed pods.

OOC: Is he fine? Did he sustain any damage from the plant?
Failure is always an option.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#102 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix chuckles to himself, despite the seriousness of the situation.

"How many arrows did you bring along, master dwarf?"

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#103 Post by Hotgoblin »

Kelsey reaches into her satchel for her torch, flint and steel....she strikes her flint and lights the torch. The halfling heads over to Palgravadorix and will use the torch as a weapon if any other plant creatures show their tendrils. I’m glad you’re ok!! She waves the torch in front of them, looking for any unwanted company.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#104 Post by hammerHead »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Travix chuckles to himself, despite the seriousness of the situation.

"How many arrows did you bring along, master dwarf?"
Ritbert the Bold

'Hah! The last one is my trident but it's not for long range attacks', mutters the poor shot dwarf.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by ybn1197 »

"Try another volley," suggested Ulfang the barbarian as he crouched, scanning for tracks in areas where the party hadn't trod yet, that were well beyond the reach of either plant watchdog.

Tracking: [1d100] = 24[/quote]

There are plenty of shuffling tracks passing in both directions through-out this area. They do not appear to go out of their way to avoid the hanging plants.
hammerHead wrote:Ritbert the Bold

Right then. Another volley on the way.

To hit: : [1d20] = 3
To hit : [1d20] = 1

Uh, maybe I'll just stick to trident, says the crestfallen dwarf...
Again, the arrows fly in close proximity to the plant and though the arrows miss, the flame seems to force the plant to twist away from their trajectory.
Gelatinous Q wrote:Clearly shaken by being attacked by a plant, Palgravadorix slumps against the cavern wall.

"I...I...am fine," he stammers, looking on ruefully as his companions launch attacks on the other plant. If he could train such a thing to protect his grove...he will poke at the bulb with his spear to see if there are any seed pods.

OOC: Is he fine? Did he sustain any damage from the plant?
Palgravadorix did not sustain any damage. The creatures first action was to grapple. It's second round action was to retract. Had it had a third round action, it would be automatic damage but it never got that far.

Palgravadorix pokes the bulb with his spear but no seeds spill out. In fact nothing has spilled out aside from the ichor spilled by Ulfang.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#106 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix watches as more arrows wiz past the creature.

"Sorry folks. If I were only a bit more powerful, I could kill that thing with fire. But alas, my magic ability has not yet reached that level, if it ever will."

Feeling slightly useless now, the mage looks around on the walls and ceiling for anything that might have been missed in all the excitement. He stays out of the reach of the target plant monster.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ybn1197 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Travix watches as more arrows wiz past the creature.

...He stays out of the reach of the target plant monster.
How far away are you staying?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#108 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If he could tell how long the vine was that attacked, he will stay at leas that far away. :D

Also, I goofed up on my Magic Missile spell. Trav should be able to fire off 2 missiles now that he is 3rd level. Can I still use the one I didn't shoot? If so, he will fire it at the remaining bulblike monster on the ceiling. (if not, I totally understand)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by ybn1197 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:If he could tell how long the vine was that attacked, he will stay at leas that far away. :D

Also, I goofed up on my Magic Missile spell. Trav should be able to fire off 2 missiles now that he is 3rd level. Can I still use the one I didn't shoot? If so, he will fire it at the remaining bulblike monster on the ceiling. (if not, I totally understand)
I will allow the Magic Missile. As for range, the vine seems able to compress itself. You know Palgravadorix was around 10 feet away when it attacked.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Inferno »

hammerHead wrote:Ritbert the Bold
Uh, maybe I'll just stick to trident, says the crestfallen dwarf...
Ulfang the barbarian gave a wry, sidelong glance at the dwarven "archer" and then to Luthandier. "Master elf?"
ybn1197 wrote: There are plenty of shuffling tracks passing in both directions through-out this area. They do not appear to go out of their way to avoid the hanging plants.
The barbaric tracker reported his findings and added: "The plant watchdogs can tell master from intruder."

Then he tried to plot a course past both hanging pod monsters, keeping 15 ' from either at all times. (is that possible, ybn?)
"Anyone carrying a torch should light it now, then we can get ready to pass. If anyone has a spare, I'd be grateful for it."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by ybn1197 »

Screen Shot 05-03-18 at 02.56 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 05-03-18 at 02.56 PM.PNG (16.8 KiB) Viewed 886 times
The "X's" indicate the location of the plants. The one on the left is dead, the vine still attached to the ceiling while the bulb with tentacles is on the ground. The other plant is on the right. The tunnel is 10 feet wide so there is no way to move through without getting close. At this moment, you are all more than 10 feet north of the tunnel.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#112 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oh, ok! That helps a lot!

Can we see where the overhead pipe is and where it runs to on that map as well, please?

Travix does not advance, unwilling to be the next person entangled by the killer vines. He steps over to where the stream is the most narrow and tries to determine if someone could simply leap the distance to the other side.

tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#113 Post by tomlowshang »

Yulia Carter

"I like Ulfang's idea but we have too few light sources to use them up like that."

OOC: Unless we can put out the torches (assuming we find a way) and reuse them later. Do you allow that, ybn?

"Anyway, we need to test that holding a torch prevents attack. I volunteer. If the torch works, maybe everyone could squeeze past behind me, and we won't have to kill the plant. If the torch doesn't work, the plant cannot attack anyone else, so the rest of you close in and finish it."

Pelokentus
Runner
Runner

#114 Post by Pelokentus »

Osford Green Ears passes his torch to Yulia Carter.

"I admire your courage," he says and draws his weapon.

Hotgoblin

#115 Post by Hotgoblin »

Kelsey hears Yulia’s idea...That could work,I’ll be ready to sneak passed if it does, although if it doesn’t, we should be ready to get you back.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by ybn1197 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Can we see where the overhead pipe is and where it runs to on that map as well, please?
You can see the overhead pipe directly overhead. It is used to keep these two plants watered.

tomlowshang wrote:OOC: Unless we can put out the torches (assuming we find a way) and reuse them later. Do you allow that, ybn?
You can douse the torches in water but it would then require a couple of hours for the rags and wax to dry out and be re-usable.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#117 Post by hammerHead »

Ritbert the Bold

I've got the distancing down this time. My success is assured.

1st arrow (to hit) [1d20] = 3 ahem ahem
2nd arrow: [1d20] = 16
damage: [1d6] = 4
Right, now that's what I'm talking about, Ulfang, Travix. Perserverance in the face of adversity. Longevity when others would quit. YES!!!
I'd do it over in a heart beat, if I had to.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ybn1197 »

Ritbert's arrow pierces the body of the strange plant causing it to wriggle as if trying to move away from source of its pain but is completely unable to.

Give me a couple of more arrow to hit rolls. The creature is still obviously alive. I just need to know how many arrows are used.

tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#119 Post by tomlowshang »

Yulia Carter

Seeing Ritbert's success with arrows, Yulia hands the torch back to Osford, and says, "Sometimes I think too much."

She moves beside Ritbert and fires her bow at the remaining plant.

Short bow attack: [1d20] = 12, arrow damage: [1d6] = 3
Short bow attack: [1d20] = 16, arrow damage: [1d6] = 5

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by ybn1197 »

Yulia's first arrow sails past the wriggling plant-creature but the second arrow catches the creature. Its movements slow and become less jerky but it is still apparently alive.

Return to “The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)”