Character Creation Thread

Zhym
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation Thread

#41 Post by ravenn4544 »

I think Malibran will work - the extra 4pts on abilities can help where it probably counts: get to an 18 wisdom for 7th level spells then in dexterity/defense.

I never used any of this special abilities as a cleric of Pholtus - to be honest, i don't ever remember reading where those were even given. Another book of 1E maybe?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:Drop the 18 and the 10 from those rolls. Odilo's Intelligence and Wisdom are still 17 and 14, respectively. Then allocate the remaining numbers (16, 16, 14, 11) to the other attributes as you like. Bump him to 2.5 million XP and allocate another 4 to the stats of your choice.

And his name should still be Odilo, of course. Same character, new body.
Will do.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by ravenn4544 »

Zhym wrote:Nope. I'm a little worried that some of the levels at 2,500,000 xp won't be high enough.

From what I've been reading in the module, A Paladin in Hell makes the Tomb of Horrors look like It's a Small World.
That's saying something.... :shock:

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Inferno »

Zhym wrote:Good choice. A 16th-level monk will be bad-ass. But in a lawful way. ;)

Yes, I said 16th-level. The official XP total is now 2,750,002, with a hard level cap of 20 (i.e., no one can start higher than 20th level).
Yow. Thanks!

...We're totally screwed aren't we? :lol:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zhym »

Inferno wrote:...We're totally screwed aren't we? :lol:
Gee, what makes you say that? :D

I have added rules for MU spell selection:
Magic-User Spells
Spell selection works as follows:
  • All MUs start with Read Magic in addition to the other spells selected.
  • The player chooses as many spells to try to know as the PC can cast at that level. For example, a player with a 17th-level MU would choose 5 each of first through fifth-level spells, 3 sixth and seventh-level spells, and one eighth-level spell.
  • The player should rank the spells in order of preference. The top spell gets +15% on the to-know roll, the second gets +10%, and the third +5%.
  • The DM will roll to see which of those spells the PC is able to know.
  • The DM will determine additional spells that the PC knows.

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I noticed that on the MU spell selection Zhym. I still fleshing out some of the other details before diving into spell selection. I'll get a list to you momentarily. ;)

So I chose a different race than Odilo previously was hope thats not an issue.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zhym »

GreyWolfVT wrote:So I chose a different race than Odilo previously was hope thats not an issue.
That's fine, but he doesn't get the four bonus points if he's not human.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

ravenn4544 wrote:I think Malibran will work - the extra 4pts on abilities can help where it probably counts: get to an 18 wisdom for 7th level spells then in dexterity/defense.

I never used any of this special abilities as a cleric of Pholtus - to be honest, i don't ever remember reading where those were even given. Another book of 1E maybe?
Maybe. I'm not a fan of specialty clerics in 1e, though, so if there were any special abilities let's ignore them now.

GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:So I chose a different race than Odilo previously was hope thats not an issue.
That's fine, but he doesn't get the four bonus points if he's not human.
Alright I'll adjust the stats back the -4. Alignment stays as it used to be on Odilo or is it different now that he is essentially reborn? I'd think if his wisdom and intelligence are intact and same as before his alignment would not change correct?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zhym »

Yup. Alignment stays the same.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Norjax »

I'll go with a 20th level, Lawful Neutral Thief. Race undecided.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zhym »

Okay. So far we have a monk, cleric, MU, and thief. It's shaping up to be an interesting group.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#53 Post by Scott308 »

Zhym wrote:Okay. So, short version. Months after escaping the Tomb, Urdak alone managed to stagger back to civilization alive. The royal family was long dead, but enough time had passed that the new royal family wasn't too upset about that fact. With Urdak's knowledge of the tomb, a new expedition a few years later was able to defeat Acererak at great cost. The survivors of that battle brought Odilo's life force out of the gem into the body of someone whose life force had been sucked into a distant plane.

Odilo lives, but in a different body. He keeps his old mental attributes but his physical attributes are all different.
He could have inhabited the body of Shinyah, druid late of Barovia!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Didn't want to play a druid. Seriously what good would a Druid be in Hell?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ravenn4544 »

Posted a draft sheet for Malibran. I've never played a cleric of this high level before so any tips or thoughts on spell selection/strategy would be great. I tended to shy away form resurrection due to the recovery time after the spell is cast.

Appreciated!

GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ravenn4544 wrote:Posted a draft sheet for Malibran. I've never played a cleric of this high level before so any tips or thoughts on spell selection/strategy would be great. I tended to shy away form resurrection due to the recovery time after the spell is cast.

Appreciated!
Hey the same can be said for me of playing a MU of this level never done it all new to me. ;)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion and Table Talk

#57 Post by max_vale »

Hey Zhym,

I have a rare few minutes on the weekend and am trying to catch up on this game and the threads….

Okay, so if I wanted to re-use Xale (my Dwarven Male Fighter/Cleric who was magically changed to a female but survived the Tomb of Horrors game); a couple of quick questions come up….

First: I noticed you saying Double Weapon Specializatin only applies to single classed Fighters in this game…but Xale has those bonuses on his/her sheet….should I just change them to Regular Weapon Specialziation stats?

Second: Would Xale have been able to buy magical means to return to being Male? Honestly, I don't really care, I'm just kind of interested for the story factor :)

Next: If I'm understanding things correctly; with 2.75 milion xp; Xale would be a 13th level Cleric and 12th level Fighter; is that correct? If this is correct; with a CON of 15 (+1 hp a level); this means Xale would be rolling 1d10 divided by 2 plus 1 for gaining the 9th level in Fighter and 1d8 divided by 2 plus 1 for gaining the 9th level in Cleric and then +2 hps a level for each addition Cleric and Fighter level (+2 for Cleric cut in half is +1 and +1 for CON 15; +3 for Fighter cut in half is 1.5 rounded down to 1, plus 1 for CON 15) for a total of +14 hps (+8 for the 4 Cleric levels and +6 for the 3 Fighter levels)…..does that all make sense?

Finnally: As for magical weapons/equipment….do we make requests or are you dolling stuff out?

Thanks!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

max_vale wrote:First: I noticed you saying Double Weapon Specializatin only applies to single classed Fighters in this game…but Xale has those bonuses on his/her sheet….should I just change them to Regular Weapon Specialziation stats?
I'll grandfather that in. He can keep the double-spec.
max_vale wrote:Second: Would Xale have been able to buy magical means to return to being Male? Honestly, I don't really care, I'm just kind of interested for the story factor :)
Yes. Turns out that a remove curse was all that was necessary to switch Xale's gender back after his/her alignment had been straightened out.
max_vale wrote:Next: If I'm understanding things correctly; with 2.75 milion xp; Xale would be a 13th level Cleric and 12th level Fighter; is that correct? If this is correct; with a CON of 15 (+1 hp a level); this means Xale would be rolling 1d10 divided by 2 plus 1 for gaining the 9th level in Fighter and 1d8 divided by 2 plus 1 for gaining the 9th level in Cleric and then +2 hps a level for each addition Cleric and Fighter level (+2 for Cleric cut in half is +1 and +1 for CON 15; +3 for Fighter cut in half is 1.5 rounded down to 1, plus 1 for CON 15) for a total of +14 hps (+8 for the 4 Cleric levels and +6 for the 3 Fighter levels)…..does that all make sense?
He should have 1,375,000/level, which would put him at C14/F13, I believe. Other than that, you have the right analysis for the most part. The constitution bonus only applies when levels in both classes have been gained, but the HP for fighters after level 9 rounds down only every other level.

So here's how I think it works:
Cleric level 9: [1d8]
Cleric levels 10-14: +5 (10/2)
Fighter level 9: [1d10]
Fighter levels 10-13: +6 (12/2)
Constitution bonus: +1 (only applies to 9th level).
Total: [1d8] + [1d10] +12

Add that to the 54 he had in ToH.
max_vale wrote:Finnally: As for magical weapons/equipment….do we make requests or are you dolling stuff out?
I've been trying to figure that one out. I'm thinking of some combination of picking & assignment. Xale and Malibran can start with the loot from the Tomb (listed here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5362&start=80#p244066).

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by ravenn4544 »

If we start from the loot from ToH - is there a limit on what we can take - there is quite a lot there! Especially if we are able to help equip our new comrades....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

No limit.

There may, however, be a limit on what magic you can buy with all that money. :)

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”