Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Chp. 3

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Chp. 3

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Chapter Three

A decision looms.

The adventurers gather at the top of the chute. Darkness shrouds the lower part of the shaft. Demihumans' infravision show no heat source. The party knows there is an opening every 20' to another level, though not how many levels there are. Some have been to the next level down. There are rungs 5' apart on each side that can serve as an awkward ladder of sorts.

Gryev tries to jump but someone holds him back.

Porphy's zombie cat loses its lower jaw. The creature reeks, though to the satyr it is a lovely scent.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Chp. 3

#2 Post by Zhym »

"We should not rush headlong after shadows," cautions Andover. "If we are unable to follow them, we are better off resorting to the metal medics than finding ourselves facing new threats instead of the men we seek."

The ranger has had trouble finding tracks in this place, but he searches anyway.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#3 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn stares into the darkness, not sure what to do. He whispers... Them metal doctors seem to want to just mess up your noggin and remember they don't listen well. We can't control them! So, maybe following this other Doctor is the logical thing to do!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

Sorry short-n-round, I'm with Andy on this one!

Slowly climbing down this chute one by one seems like another dog gone trap to me. How do we know them noises and voices weren't just the brain creature trying to lure us out again?

I say we sticks together and take our chances in the med bay thing.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion says, I'd rather die than go back to that bay of evil. I looked like an elf once, you know.

I say we go down.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh growls his vote, "We follow the voicccce. The golemssss of Medbay are mad."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

"Down the robot hole they go," blurts Guido in a sudden moment of disconcerting coherency.

The party considers what level to go down to.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion nods. An illusion? Certainly a possibility, replies the grey. Regardless, I don't want to go to that brain chopping room. Perhaps we should explore this level some more. That said, I'm all for going down the shaft: one direction's as good another and there may be help there.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Grognardsw »

Andover the ranger examines the floor and chute area for tracks. Given the metal surface, he finds none.

With a majority favoring the shaft, the party climbs down in their customary marching order. Porphyry leaves his zombie cat beast behind.

The next level down was the area seen by some before...

It seems to be a much more open area filled with mechanical structures and walls, as opposed to the more traditional corridor and room lay-out of the first level. The suspected human doctor and others are not seen.

The party climbs further down and after 20' reaches an opening into a hall like the other chute areas. There is one open portalway in the south wall but it is partially blocked by a surprising sight...

The vines blocked the portalway but seem to have been cut through with a weapon or spell that left edged blackened. There is enough cut away to let a human-size person through.

The chute continues to descend downward. Without light, it can't be seen how far. Demihumans' infravision shows no sign of heat in the chute.
Andover tracking [1d100] = 76. With modifiers, no.
- From the previous rest, spellcasters can select new spells.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal struggles on the giant chute ladder.

Well what now? Do we follow the path here, go further down the tube, or go back up?

I can't hang onta this ladder forever in my weakened condition. Whoever built this dern thing must have some seriously long legs!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

"Back up," says Andover. "We have been attacked by plants before, and I don't like the looks of those vines."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry: "With the deranged metal healers destroyed, I have no doubt that I could comprehend and make effective use of the medical materials contained in the surgery bay. However, it would be even better to have a practiced doctor at our disposal, and there is at least the promise of one through that passage. I say we go forth, if only a little farther."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion agrees with the faun. Let's continue on, at least for a bit. I hope the voices belong to new friends.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

Not convinced about the wisdom of exploring deeper within the metal-walled bowels of this strange place, half the adventurers want climb back up.

But just then the elves with their faerie ears hear a disant human-sounding voice from far beyond the vines... "Lords of Light!..."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Well, now we're here we might as well proceed," says Wrenly, not aware of the voice heard by the keener of ear. "I can always blow the vegi-men to smithereens with my incineration spell. If they cooperate and remain conveniently grouped together a great distance from us in an adequately large space with high ceilings. Come, fellows! Healing awaits!... perhaps." He'll only proceed through the vines if the others come along, too.
I guess progress at this point is more appealing than the relative safety of the upper level, to me, anyway. As long as we stick together.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Andover shrugs. It's almost as if an invisible hand* is pushing them forward.

"If you're intent on pressing ahead injured, without healers, and with an active threat unaddressed, lead the way. But bear in mind that it was chasing after things that got us into our current condition. We have artifacts we still do not know how to use, there is an entire level we just skipped, and I still don't like the looks of those vines. If we had any sense we would focus on our existing challenges instead of following voices into something that may well kill us in our present condition."
* That'd be Bigby's Plot-Advancing Hand.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion shrugs. Yes, we're injured and with few options. I happen to believe that those voices can help us. We already know that the metal things and the veggie-things will attack so we need to try to find help where we can. I say we follow the voices.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Zhym »

"Help? Here? That would be novel," counters Andover. "Everything we have encountered so far has tried to kill us, including, lately, the security constructs and golem healers. The artifacts that might help us we have mostly ignored. We have lost several of our number to a creature that eats thoughts. And now, when we are in dire need of restoration, we happen to hear voices calling us forward that seem to offer just what we need? How fortunate."

"Either we are incredibly lucky or it is a trap laid by the brain monster. I have not survived this long by assuming fortune was on my side. But if you're feeling lucky, be my guest." The ranger extends an arm toward the vines. "You go first."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal tires of the endless stalemate.

Lets find out if these strangers are real and if they are actually willing to show themselves to us. Get ready to climb if this backfires!!!

The not too smart thief cups his hands around his mouth and faces the opening in the vine curtain doorway.

HEY!!! YOU IN THERE!!! DO YOU BE FRIEND OR FOE?

IF YOU ARENT THAT DAMN BRAIN MONSTER, THEN SHOW YOURSELVES TO US SO WE MAY WORK TOGETHER IN THIS PLACE!!!

He looks at the others with that "someone had to try something" look on his face.

I hope that works, else we may be in big trouble trapped in here like this.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”