Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

Inferno
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Chapter 2: Pyramid of the Dead

#301 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda doesn't even have time to thank the unseen Biblo. When the spiders rush into the room, she retreats backwards, towards the other door.

If you cant get the door closed again, maybe we can lure the hairy monsters into the last hallway? Let the glop get em?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, libriomancer

My eyes widen at the monstrous spider and I back away to let the fighters engage. I almost forget my invisibility and swing wide away toward the door from which we came.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael marvels at the diversity of nature's wonders. He gives this wonder a wide berth, backing away and hoping the barbarian can close the door. But he readies a flask of oil in case the barbarian fails.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Starbeard »

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Inferno »

Day One
The Great Pyramid of the Lost City, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia
Evening. Hot, arid, cloudless

In the secret temple of the Oracle of Osorus, Mako, a conjurer of the distant East, fills his waterskin with the miraculous, life-giving elixir. Strangely, the water level in the font has not fallen.

Arthfael, Biblo and Gronda retreat as Roan advances, throwing down his torch and swinging his great sword at the terrifying, monstrous arachnid that lurches forward on its eerie, eight-legged gait!

A plague of spawn abandon her immense, hairy frame in a crawling, writhing tide that threatens to flood the shrine!

Attila, Garrin and Kiri push the ancient, stone door shut, trapping the gigantic tarantula on the other side, away from them and her young! She shrieks horrifically at the realization that her ghastly offspring have been separated from her. It is all the mighty warriors can do to keep the enraged behemoth from re-invading the chapel!
(anyone holding the door this coming round: please save vs Strength on 1d20)

The scuttling spiderlings sense their horrific mother’s agonizing screams and frantically attack each other and anything else they collide with, biting Attila, Kiri and Roan!
(-1hp, -3hp and -1hp respectively. All three please Save vs Poison once, at +Con/2 (round up) to your dice roll, due to the tiny size of the spiderlings.)

Actions?!

Map:
Pyramid Tier 2.12.jpg
Pyramid Tier 2.12.jpg (471.77 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
One square = 10 feet.

Rolls and Rulings: Image

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 7/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: AC 1, HP 11/12, Torch
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 3, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 1: AC 5, HP 8/11, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 8/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: AC 4, HP 3/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 15/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 5/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 1: AC 4, HP 11/12, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#306 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Garrin desperately tries to keep the door closed, stomping any of the tiny arachnids that come near; however, his divided attention causes him to fail to maintain weight on the portal.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#307 Post by DadsAngry »

Mako:

Mako retreats to the nearest corner with his newly filled waterskin. He divides his attention between the large strong fighter holding the door closed and the scholars who retested to the secrecy door. Will stay and fight or will we flee through the secret door?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Smarting from the bites, Kiri pushes hard on the door, ultimately deciding he'd rather be nibbled than slashed open... His skin tingles uncomfortably, but he fights off a feeling of nausea and keeps pushing. The sickening rhythmic thumps on the other side are motivation enough.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

The barbarian barely feels the tiny bite, but he knows that even tiny creatures can carry enough poison to kill a man. But he shrugs off the nausea and kicks at the spiders, trying to keep them away from his legs. He grabs for his torch and swings it around at the baby spiders.
Save vs. Poison (14): [1d20+7] = 11+7 = 18

Do I roll to hit or will the flames keep them away? Here's a roll in case you need one:
Hit with torch: [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#310 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda stomps on any eight legers that get too close. She attempts to flick away spiders that are trying to climb up the others as best she can with the haft of her spear without getting too close to the biomass.

Attack w/ Spear [1d20] = 7 Damage [1d6] = 3

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phyle, antiquarian arcanist

Thank Ibis for sorceries to blind sight against me. It is keeping him at bay. I feel him pushing, casting doubts on my control.

I move toward the door and nock my bow, preparing for the worst.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Inferno »

Secret Shrine of the Oracle of Osorus (3)
The Great Pyramid of the Lost City, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day One. Evening. 13th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia

Attila, Garrin and Kiri throw their muscled frames against the secret door with all their strength, struggling to hold the leviathan tarantula at bay!

They falter and the titanic horror is able to thrust its shrieking, hideous face through the ever widening portal; eight inhuman eyes frantically searching for her bloodcurdling children!

Mako of the East retreats from that gruesome visage. At the far side of the shrine, Loche curses, unseen Biblo nocks an arrow, and savage Gronda stabs her spear at the advancing spiderling swarm.

Roan, son of Rune, brandishes his torch at the writhing, growing pool of tiny arachnids. Between his fiery assault and the pitiless screeching of their ghastly mother, the crawling plague retreats back through the cracked door, to their monstrous parent.

The warriors slam the secret door shut as the gigantic spiderbeast withdraws, reunited with her loathsome offspring.

All grows quiet.

Kiri Khutan warily removes one hand to test for pressure on the stone door and finds none. The giant Kambujan warrior-wizard glances at the glimmering waters of the sacred font of the oracle and suddenly, a mirage of ancient eyes appear within the bright liquid and meet his gaze!

A disembodied voice that burns like roaring flames pronounces in an archaic form of the common tongue:

"SPEAK PETITIONER AND HAVE THY SAY,
THAT I MAY ANSWER YEA OR NAY."

Replies? Every PC that hasn't already done so may ask one 'Yes or No' question.
Also, our first experience point award of the game is here. Congrats, Garrin and Roan.

Map:
Pyramid Tier 2.13.jpg
Pyramid Tier 2.13.jpg (465.76 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
One square = 10 feet. Monsters are shown in their last known locations.

Rolls and Rulings: Image

PC Status:
  • Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 2: AC 6, HP 7/12, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 2/3 2nd lvl
    Attila: Hyrkanean Nomad Barbarian 1: AC 1, HP 11/12, Torch
    Biblo Phyle: Zamoran Southman Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User 1/1/1: AC 3, HP 7/7, Spells: 3/4 1st lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 1: AC 5, HP 8/11, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Gronda: Zembabweian Savage Ranger/Thief 1/2: AC 7, HP 8/17
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: AC 4, HP 3/7, Spells: 0/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: AC 5, HP 15/18, Torch
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: AC: 7, HP: 5/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 1: AC 4, HP 11/12, Torch
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Invisibility (Biblo): Ingested one dose of potion. Duration: unknown.
PC Resources:
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#313 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda tires of always feeling tired. She overcomes her fear now that she sees that the others didn't die from the healing waters.

She moves to the font and cups her hands, enjoying a long drink of the special water.

We probably should have killed that vile creature. It seems that we may now be trapped in here on all three sides.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#314 Post by Mant72 »

Garrin Locke:

Finding a reprieve from the onslaught, Garrin finds a quiet corner and commences praying to Mitra.

The holy knight is desperately thirsty and knows the waters have healing properties, but he is unsure about partaking of their ancient magicks. "Would this be a transgression in the eyes of The Lord? If I perish from thirst, how will I continue to spread His word?" he wonders silently as he scrutinizes the white blemish on the back of his hand.

He tries to seek the divine wisdom of Mitra for guidance.
Last edited by Mant72 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo Phile, unseen sorcersage

I breath a sigh of relief at another danger avoided. This place will be the death of us. I put my bow away and try to calm my mind so that he may be supressed.

"Can we secure that door so the spider doesn't come out?" I ask from thin air.

The Zembebweian's comment catches my attention. "Why do you say trapped on three sides, Gronda? Is there another threat about?"

Another disembodied voice speaks and I am awed but then wary. I've heard of magickal mouths voicing trickeries or beguilements.

"Has this voice spoken before? Have any of you gave question and been answered true?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Zhym »

Arthfael does not drink the water. He wants no god's symbol on his decorated flesh. And water is not a problem for him.

Is there a handle on the door? Maybe we could tie a rope to the door and pour oil into the room with a trail leading out of the room. We'd open the door from the hall and light the oil.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Inferno »

No handle. There is a concealed inset to slip your hand in, to pull the secret door open.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Starbeard »

Attila the Hyrkanean

"What a great beast. Let it rot in there and devour its own children." Attila makes a face and wanders the room, listening at the doorway they came through.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#319 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Gronda

The gnarly, dark female answers the unseen Biblo.

Yes. Did you not see the large cube of sticky membrane in the hall when you entered? It nearly entrapped us in its mass just before we escaped into this shrine.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by hedgeknight »

Roan, Son of Rune

Wiping the sweat from his eyes, Roan breathes a prayer of thanks and cautiously searches the floor, torches in hand, for any leftover spiders. Seeing none, he then goes to each wall and tries to find another way out of here...preferably one without something that is going to eat them waiting on the other side!
Winter is coming...

Return to “The Lost City of Eternity (1e)”