Expedition to the B.P. - Chp. 2: Rage Against the Machine

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition to the B.P. - Chp. 2: Rage Against the Machin

#481 Post by Grognardsw »

As Guido falls from Porphyry's paralysis thrower, Swilbosh the lizardman flattens the satyr in one blow of his trident. At the same time as Swilbosh, Andover strikes Porphyry with the flat of his blade but misjudges the angle and hits with the sharp edge!

Porphy is bleeding out!
Swilbosh's critical does double damage, putting Porphyry technically into negative HP but most is not permanent damage.
However, Andover's 11 damage is regular. So does subdual damage putting one in negative, followed by regular damage, kill one? I'll put him at -9 and he can be stabilized there.
Andover fumble - something bad? 1-50 [1d100] = 48

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by Zhym »

"Blyxtshok!" spits Andover, resorting to hobgoblin for the curse. He rushes to stabilize Prophyry.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry weakly gasps: "You... s... syphilitic morons!"

He points weakly at the drooling form of Gryev. "The bar... barian... has medicinal salves... in his pack."

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#484 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn hears Porphy's angered words, as he heads over the Barbarian's pack. He grabs the salves and rushes back to the injured satyr. Porphy, I believe these were the salves you were referring to! I'm going to rub it on your wounds... only time will tell if this will work!!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Ravenous Gryev's dull eyes briefly follow Groyn's actions before getting distracted by something shiny.

His pack yields up four packets salve, and the lurker ceviche the barbarian made yesterday—it should be well brined by now!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh, savage lizardman fighter:

The reptile man wasn't a bit surprised that, even in his dire condition, the satyr still retained the ability to talk.
Pulpatoon wrote:Porphyry weakly gasps: "You... s... syphilitic morons!"
The barbaric giant had killed men for lesser insults. Luckily for the satyr, he had other things on his mind right now.
ChubbyPixie wrote:Wrenly
"It is the currently inert Guido, I'm afraid, who emits an aura of evil!"
Swilbosh picked up the "paralyzer" and pointed its business end at Wrenly. His scaled claw rested near its crossbow trigger. He put his back to the wall and said, "Good. Thisss meanssss either Wrenly or Guido is possssessssed."

The cold blooded warrior calmly continued: "The only way to be ccccertain we get The Thing issss to kill them both. ...Unlessss anyone hassss a better idea?"

Anyone got a Detect Evil to use on Wrenly? :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#487 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion says, I know what you mean, Swil. Trust's a tough thing to come by these days.

Someone else detects evil and you point that thing at him. It'll be a never-ending cycle. Two of us ID'd Guido. No one but you ID'd Wrenly.

If we've got any surprises for each other, I don't think we're in much shape to do anything about it. Proph's down and a ton of us are babbling idiots.

Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens? If that, that thing, appears again, maybe we can kill it instead of each other.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart has no love for the goat-man, but think a summary death sentence is a bit harsh. He rushes to stabilize him. But the woodsman deems three salves enough for the satyr, and takes one for Candy.

Let me know if I need to roll for this please.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by Pulpatoon »

AleBelly wrote:Let me know if I need to roll for this please.
The salves are 1d4 each. And it is more generous than Porphyry deserves to leave him three of them!

Rolling for Porphyry's healing: [1d4] = 2 [1d4] = 2 [1d4] = 4
Porphyry sneers through his pain as the salves take effect. He hisses in Lizardman, "Leave the thinking to those equipped for it, Swilbosh. You're handy with that trident, so stick with it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#490 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal lies on the floor drooling, thinking that this is a wonderful time to be paralyzed.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly throws up his hands and rolls his eyes in an "I should have known" gesture. "Fine! I'll tie him up myself! Just be ready if the creature appears, you brute. Oh, and why would I hand you a deadly death ray device if I were the one possessed? Good detective work, Swilbosh!" he says as he begins securing rope around the paralyzed cleric. "You... big dummy..." he adds in a very, very quiet murmur when his back is turned and he's sure the lizard man can't possibly hear him.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by Inferno »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Wrenly
"Oh, and why would I hand you a deadly death ray device if I were the one possessed? "
"That wassss eight hourssss ago. Before we all ressssted together."
greyarea wrote:Asherrion
Two of us ID'd Guido.
"Yessss. Without proof. Those were good guessssessss, but guessssessss neverthelessss. After being together for eight hourssss, the demon could be anywhere; could be anyone.
"But when Wrenly claimed hissss magic proved Guido wassss the Thing, it could only mean that he or Guido are possssessssed,"
he said coolly, his alien crossbow still pointing at Wrenly. "We sssshould act accordingly."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Oh... yes..." says Wrenly. "I suppose that was before we slept. Fair enough. I could be the one controlled. Well, there's nothing for it. Just be prepared to assail it should it appear. Perhaps if occupied defending itself it won't be able to control anyone else," he suggests, then folds his arms and taps his foot impatiently, waiting for the creature to hopefully show itself.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by Zhym »

"If we try to kill each other right now we will very likely succeed," says Andover. "Fingal was barely hanging on to life before our latest battle. Many of us, myself included, are in little better condition. We need rest and magical healing before we do anything else."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#495 Post by Grognardsw »

Behind the closed door of their safe space...

Fingal shots himself into paralysis. Fear, uncertainty and doubt assail the adventurers as accusations fly. Porphyry is set upon by trident and sword from his comrades and lies unconscious on the floor, his body bruised and bloody. Tensions remain high as the conversation about who is controlled by the brain beast continue.

The unconscious Porphry exhibits that rare satyr psychopomp ability called speaking from beyond the light. One moment he is out, the next his mouth moves and words come out though his eyes remain closed and body prone. It is unsettling to say the least, how his soul defies the rules of the game of life.

Guido is well bound by Wrenly. Gryev's healing salve is applied to Porphyry by a sorry Andover, and Wulfart rubs it (perhaps too sensually) on Candidiasis body (1 HP heal.)

Time passes. Things settle down. The brain monster does not appear. After 15 or 20 minutes the paralysis wears off Fingal and Guido. The thief is relieved; the cleric is...?
- This is all very entertaining. :D
- Porphry is at -1 HP now. (-9 + 8). He is still unconscious, but that hasn't stopped him before :lol:
- Candy healing salve [1d4] = 1

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#496 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal feels the paralytic effect on his muscles beginning to abate.

After seeing what has happened within the group, :shock: he pretends that he is still paralyzed and doesn't say a word.

He admittedly has no idea who is who anymore and doesn't want any suspicions cast his way until the group gets this brain monster dilemma figured out.

He drools on himself a little more just for the effect.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#497 Post by greyarea »

Inferno wrote:Swilbosh, savage lizardman fighter:
greyarea wrote:Asherrion
Two of us ID'd Guido.
"Yessss. Without proof. Those were good guessssessss, but guessssessss neverthelessss. After being together for eight hourssss, the demon could be anywhere; could be anyone.
"But when Wrenly claimed hissss magic proved Guido wassss the Thing, it could only mean that he or Guido are possssessssed,"
he said coolly, his alien crossbow still pointing at Wrenly. "We sssshould act accordingly."
You reptilian moron! You see magic every day and yet when magicians tell you something it's always "good guess" or something other. If Wrenly were the enemy, you'd be toast: his magicks frying you like frog legs. Now settle down, says Asherrion the grey. We both identified Guido and we need to figure out how to make that thing appear again so we can kill it. Hopefully without killing the cleric in the process. The paralysis ray didn't work so what else can we try?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#498 Post by Inferno »

The gigantic gatorman ignores another insult deserving of injury,* assuming the grey one's emotions have gotten the better of him.

Still hearing no proof of how Guido was 'identified,' he doesn't let the outburst distract him, calmly keeping his reptilian eyes and steel crossbow on Wrenly and Guido until they are absolved by actual evidence, or revealed to be the Thing.

* “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split" ― Robert E. Howard
:D
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#499 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Ravenous Gryev continues to do not much at all.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#500 Post by tkrexx »

Ahhhhhh! Guido's body begins to painfully move. What...? He struggles momentarily, unaware he has been bound. What happened? Why am I... Porphry, is this your doing?? You ornery, horned goat of a man! Release me at once! This is most undignified. He looks about, as much as his bonds allow, until he spies the Satyr. Aha! You've got him! Very good! Now we can work on a method of freeing him from the Demon's possession... Uhm, that is, once I'm freed...

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”