Chp. 3: La Muerta Espara

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chp. 3: La Muerta Espara

#501 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai shrugs "That's a something I have not yet heard."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#502 Post by Mant72 »

Calto the druid:

Intrigued by Siavel's discovery, Calto turns to watch the elven mage go about dismantling the stuffed tiger, "Careful, friend. As we are all well aware, this place is fraught with...unpleasant surprises." He holds his holy blade at the ready and prepares for the worst.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#503 Post by Grognardsw »

Blade Rain, an expert in daggers, is intrigued by the ceremonial dagger that Siavel clutches. The knife fighter realizes that the make and material of the dagger is unlike the wood, stone and obsidian materials of local weapons. It probably came from a land foreign to theSe parts, or if made locally was done by one trained in metallurgy.

Azoth peers down the west hallway as far as the torchlight illuminates. The corridor twists north at the end. The cleric's nose can't tell a difference in the air, but Calto the druid's nature-honed senses tell him the same subtle sickness permeates the hallway.

They turn back into room to see Siavel examining the stuffed tiger in the middle of the room. The ferocious feline has a long scar in its chest, in the same position as the scar on the jaguarman. Siavel cuts open the chest with the dagger and miraculously finds...
a pulsing human heart!

Last edited by Grognardsw on Sun May 29, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#504 Post by Mant72 »

Calto the druid:

Calto stares at the unnatural horror that the mage has uncovered, "I advise against tampering with such witchery, friend Siavel, but I if anything is done with the hideous organ, perhaps you should plunge your newly found dagger into it?"

GreyWolfVT

#505 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai thinks about the ritual a bit more "That sounds almost right."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#506 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel holds the heart up over his head like a savage priest that has just made a sacrifice to his gods.

He also holds out the dagger before him and looks carefully around the room.

If this dagger revealed the hidden heart to me, perhaps it will also reveal its function in here. My first thought is to place it on the alter to see if anything changes with the stone circle.

Any suggestions other than simply skewering it?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#507 Post by Mant72 »

Calto the druid:

Turing to Azoth, Calto relays his findings, "The west hallway is contaminated with the noxious fumes." He then turns his attention to Siavel and watches the mage as he contemplates what to do with the heart. "Placing the heart upon the altar might reveal secrets, yet again, it might call the attention of these blasphemous gods. I do not wish to tamper with these deities anymore than necessary, but if you think it might prove helpful, then let us try."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#508 Post by Grognardsw »

"I know of such things," says Azoth the cleric ominously.

"Do not sacrafice the heart on the altar. Let us move east to escape the foul air."

Blade Rain nods in agreement.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#509 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel nods in agreement as the others dissuade him from further altering the alter.

He turns to leave with the others, but then suddenly and mindlessly finds himself plunging the ceremonial dagger into the pulsating heart.

He smiles sinisterly as he awaits the results of his action.

I......I........don't......it just felt like the right thing to do.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#510 Post by Dram »

Kitchi freezes in mid step waiting for the worst to happen.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#511 Post by OGRE MAGE »

When no other monsters attack due to the mages most recent frivolous actions, he simply tosses the heart away like it was an old shoe.

Hmmmmmm. That was odd.

Let me see if this magic blade can help guide us towards the correct path to clear this foul air.

The old elf closes his eyes and concentrates on the power of the blade once again.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#512 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human Fighter

Blade Rain tells Siavel; "I find it more than a little odd that a dagger displaying that kind of metal-work is found in a Temple whose people are mostly working with wood and bone....perhaps it was created by some dweamor of some long-lost spell-slinger. Anyway, I'd leave it alone if I were you, unless you can determine if its likely enchantment is harmful or not?"

The veteran fighter is annoyed, but not surprised that his warning was pretty much ignored by the mage....who then rushed back and like a mischievous child went and plunged the dagger into the heart, as he had been cautioned against doing by the rest of the party. Shaking his head and throwing up his hands in disbelief, Alex walked away from the situation to where Azoth, Calto, Kitchi and the rest were and asked; "Well, I'm ready to leave this place....any idea which way gets us to fresh air?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#513 Post by Mant72 »

Calto the druid:

Eager to be away from the poisoned air and the unnatural tiger heart, the nature priest follows Azoth to the east.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#514 Post by Grognardsw »

The dagger pulses red, sucking in the blood of the heart, then subsides to its normal state.

The adventurers decide to move along. Siavel still suspects a secret door behind the sun dial above the altar, but no one else investigates. Walking briskly east, the party comes upon the corner trap pit. The rope and iron spikes are still set up. The party leaps across the corner of the pit. Kitchi's foot lands short and it opens, but the rope saves him.

The north and east brings them to a choice: Continue to the chamber of the worms with the great toppled skull, or take the as-yet unexplored south corridor.

Map

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#515 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Grognardsw wrote:The dagger pulses red, sucking in the blood of the heart, then subsides to its normal state.

The adventurers decide to move along. Siavel still suspects a secret door behind the sun dial above the altar, but no one else investigates.
Siavel ignores the overreactions from some of the others, shaking his head at the sheer refusal to attempt anything that might reveal what they are supposed to be doing in this shrine. He holds the ornate dagger out in front of him as he walks, as if it is leading him to where the group needs to go.

Let us check out the hallway that leads to the south first. I want to avoid that monster of eyeballs and tentacles if we can.

I suppose we should find out how to clear the bad air in here first. If we need to come back to search for further clues or items, hopefully we can do that later, without the risk of becoming poisoned.

GreyWolfVT

#516 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai "That sounds good to me. I don't want to fight the tentacles again."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#517 Post by Dram »

Kitchi- Moves behind Calto down the hallway to the east. Lets be off then to the fresh air.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#518 Post by Mant72 »

Calto the druid:

Turning to Siavel, "I too would like to explore the southern corridor, but first we must find fresh air. I vote we go east for now to find respite for our lungs, and then we can return to the southern hall."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#519 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel again concedes to the wisdom of the mighty druid of nature.

So, down the steps then?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#520 Post by Inferno »

Azoth Al-Aziz, occultic priest:

The dark cleric snarled through cracked yellow teeth, "'What we are supposed to do here?' We are supposed to survive, by our wits. Not take foolish chances. We are supposed to find our way out of here, armed with artifacts hidden far deeper within this accursed shrine than this. For all your reckless 'experimenting,' you've learned nothing. Let's move on before we all end up like your pet rat."

;)

Azoth will head in the direction that the majority picks. If it is new ground, he'll cast Find Traps and lead the way. Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun